BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

It Appears to be Over

Aaryan

I just logged in maybe 2 minutes ago. BrainDen's amazingly rich community is, to be blunt, gone. Somehow, we've lost everybody and everything. I'm one of them; I moved on from BD. There were those before me, those after me, and now, nobody's left. Sure, bona and plasmid fight valiantly, but our once-powerful empire has fallen. MM's fallen, too; hardly anybody left. There doesn't appear to be any chance at getting people back, unless we make some sort of amazing, drastic change. But I don't think that's going to happen. It's just...sad. I used to be in love with the site. So many senior players in the forums, so many riddles...Now it's gone.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was my depressing opinion piece.

• Upvote 2

I would be thankful for any ideas (and for actions even more) to get more people on BD.

Anybody can

Are you a webmaster?

Do you have a blog?
Are you a regular contributor to other forums?
Do you have an account on myspace, facebook, twitter or any other social/community site?
Do you link your favorite sites on stumbleupon, digg, reddit, delicious or any other online bookmarking service?
Are you a teacher who gives his/her students brain teasers on your school's web site?
Are you a student who likes to discuss topics on school's web site or just chatting/talking to other students?
If you answered "YES" at least once, then you can help by linking BrainDen pages that you like on other sites where you participate.
There is also another simple way to recommend good content to your friends - click Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top of the page that you find interesting.
For instance, do you like our Optical Illusions?

I know I have seriously missed getting onto BD. Unfortunately life got really busy & my fun computer time has sunk to an all-time low. :(

(Doesn't help that I can't access from work anymore either. Or that all my creative ability has been sucked into the void of work so I haven't had anything worth riddle-writing about.)

Going to try & get back more often & find a few interesting things to riddle about though. :)

I seriously believe that this may have something to do with the 2012 Apocalypse prediction; it could also be because of the crash, but I've noticed it everywhere...particularly since last month - everything, everywhere, is slowing down...:(
I've been so busy (not to mention, I also fell ill...), that it's really getting to be difficult to come online & brainstorm, when I have to do that in college all the time...:(

• Upvote 1

I think you're wide of the mark with your last post, Li, but I'm so glad that you had the balls to mention what's happened. I'm guilty of non-attendance for the last few months, partly for personal reasons, but mainly because the "spark" (or whatever it was we had) is missing. T_L, MoMa, Cubie, yourself and myself all went missing/quiet at around the same time. Even PG seems to have been quiet for a while. It just became sorta humourless - and that's a big shame because I loved the banter (even if most of it was off-topic) especially the Yankee-bating. There. That should evoke some reaction. fabpig@live.co.uk if you want to.

Oh, And has anybody heard from the boy MoMa?

I must agree with Thalia's comment, however, a positive attitude along with maximum optimism will help more than feeling glum about the slump. Many times I will appear logged on all alone just to show that I can be more than just one of the 50 guests that appear present. It's a pity that thousands of emails were lost in the crash. We could have urged them to return if we had communication. I should be spending more time here myself, but Mafia is not like it was years ago. Riddles are not a habit like when I began here. I expect a lull during these holidays so not a big worry.

I have a couple of ideas:

1. How about we organize cooperatively? Once or twice a week or more in the chat room or a thread to discuss possibilities or specific options in order to bring a crowd. It will be strictly volunteer discussion for maybe 1/2 hour sessions. There can be a group session for morning, for day and one for night if enough people will help and volunteer. Time zones will allow attendance if we have multiple sessions. I can spare a half hour a week and maybe more. Once we come up with super ideas to share, we can get to work on executing them. This is like troubleshooting but it can't hurt the site.

2. Advertising as much as we can. I was taken in by a riddle that captured me and reeled me in here. If we can gather the most addictive and exciting pieces of work from here that people will become interested in, We can make an attractive link while assuring them it is a completely free site. Anyone who can help with slogans and mass advertising on respectable sites like Facebook will be a BIG HELP. I think there is potential to get busy once again if we just organize, cooperate and keep our hopes up. We really need to WOW people before reeling them in. No boring old riddles that means. Take the best of everything we have and capitalize on it for special advertising amazement. If this can all become incorporated nicely and get people hooked, it should be a success.

As always, y'all can comment, agree or disagree but these are just my ideas. Perhaps someone has better ideas. IDK :D

Edited by akaslickster

• 2 weeks later...

What was going on here last summer. I just noticed that there were over 600 online at one time.

Seems like a glitch in the system - a lot had to be repaired and tested.

However, it looks like the good old members are coming back.

Thanks to all your efforts and for letting the old members know that BD is back.

Yeah, I feel like when I came back there was a lot less activity than in my prime. I miss some of the big players, not just for making puzzles, but for solving them and keeping threads active :(. I do like the addition of the solved marker, it should help keep old threads from overtaking the first page away from current unsolved puzzles. It's really disheartening to put a lot of time and effort into making a puzzle just to see it die away...:(

As for suggestions, there's a thought I have had for some time: I'm not sure why the 'New Puzzles' forum was subdivided into word puzzles and math/logic puzzles in the first place, but I do feel like there are puzzles that do not fit neatly into either category, like the mystery puzzles or the figure out what you're suppose to do here puzzles. The latter, which I personally am partial to, I feel tend to die out when someone looking in the math forum realizes it's not a standard math puzzle or someone in the word forum realizes it's not a standard word puzzle. I think the categorizations sometimes lure ppl into a sense of complacency about how to go about solving the puzzle that they can be reluctant to break through. I'm not sure how to solve this, but I think perhaps a third categorization, like a 'Creative Thinking Puzzles' part might help, and might draw in ppl who like that kind of puzzle but don't realize that some of the puzzles in the Math/Logic and Word Riddles sections are actually that kind of puzzle in disguise.

Anyways, 3:37 AM here, work in the morning. Just some thoughts.

I must agree with Thalia's comment, however, a positive attitude along with maximum optimism will help more than feeling glum about the slump. Many times I will appear logged on all alone just to show that I can be more than just one of the 50 guests that appear present. It's a pity that thousands of emails were lost in the crash. We could have urged them to return if we had communication. I should be spending more time here myself, but Mafia is not like it was years ago. Riddles are not a habit like when I began here. I expect a lull during these holidays so not a big worry.

I have a couple of ideas:

1. How about we organize cooperatively? Once or twice a week or more in the chat room or a thread to discuss possibilities or specific options in order to bring a crowd. It will be strictly volunteer discussion for maybe 1/2 hour sessions. There can be a group session for morning, for day and one for night if enough people will help and volunteer. Time zones will allow attendance if we have multiple sessions. I can spare a half hour a week and maybe more. Once we come up with super ideas to share, we can get to work on executing them. This is like troubleshooting but it can't hurt the site.

2. Advertising as much as we can. I was taken in by a riddle that captured me and reeled me in here. If we can gather the most addictive and exciting pieces of work from here that people will become interested in, We can make an attractive link while assuring them it is a completely free site. Anyone who can help with slogans and mass advertising on respectable sites like Facebook will be a BIG HELP. I think there is potential to get busy once again if we just organize, cooperate and keep our hopes up. We really need to WOW people before reeling them in. No boring old riddles that means. Take the best of everything we have and capitalize on it for special advertising amazement. If this can all become incorporated nicely and get people hooked, it should be a success.

As always, y'all can comment, agree or disagree but these are just my ideas. Perhaps someone has better ideas. IDK :D

Seems like this was covered by chat etc. I really think it has a chance but, nvm if it stinks. :(

Anyway, every time I see a Facebook AD for Brainden, in my home page, I click like and share. I urge everyone else to do the same at least.

Edited by akaslickster

Okay some more ideas to increase activity:

Special events, like holiday events, contests and the like. I have no programming skills but I'd be happy to help with the creative portion ^_^.

More achievements...everyone loves achievements ;P! No, but 99% seriously, so many addictive games and whatnot have achievements b/c they themselves are somewhat addictive. Right now there is only the member title 'achievements', but I think there can be some more that can be added without challenging the core of what the place is about. Especially with the new ability to attribute solutions to a particular person, it shouldn't be too hard to add achievements associated with that: number of puzzles solved, etc. And adding achievements for puzzle makers too might be nice ;).