BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

PROLOGUE:

"A no-holds-barred, pull-out-all-the-stops, breathless tangle of thriller..........................A new year at Hogwarts."

A new year at Hogwarts.....................After a weary journey through the "Hogwarts Express", all the students found themselves in the main dining hall, where in front of them, in the middle of the long teachers' table, sat Albus Dumbledore , smiling to see the children back at Hogwarts. Many innocent people (stone) among a few vicious ones. Malfoy gave a disgusted look at Harry, who was busy talking with Hermione and was soon joined by a boy. With that red hair, it was not difficult to identify Ron.

There, in the crowd, stood Ginny, a little nervous but more calm and contented. And among them, stood Colin, happy as ever..............

Nobody knew that among the happy and merry environment of Hogwarts, there existed a "Chamber of Secrets", where Riddle waited, planning viciously and smiling. Another side, Basilik was ready for the night adventures.............

Though some students were new to Hogwarts, they knew of the adventures of last year. They all knew, one mistake and a great damage would ensue.............

• Answers 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

q to HOSTS: Basilik is only NK Carrier.. if the person with that role is blocked then the baddies' NK will still be carried out ? I know it says that block precedes NK .. but it also says NK Carrier ... which to me at least its like it was for harry being the baddies killer in the post in HP year 1......???

@araver : aaryan changed his vote to Aura just before he got lynched .. so I'm guessing he spied a goodie role first night (not nox and not aura) . if he did spy on nox and knew that nox is a baddie , he wouldn't have changed his vote ...

@aaryan .. sry to see you go man ... wrong choice of words in choosing your vote.. :-s

@araver : aaryan changed his vote to Aura just before he got lynched .. so I'm guessing he spied a goodie role first night (not nox and not aura) . if he did spy on nox and knew that nox is a baddie , he wouldn't have changed his vote ...

Yes and no. Mostly no.

See, it would have made much more sense for Aaryan to vote in self-defense on either Segul, Q-Cumber or Chaits who already had a vote on them at that time. Making it 4 vs 2. Then, anyone who would have switched away from Aaryan and to his option in the above three would have made it a tie.

Why wouldn't he vote for one of the three to start saving himself? Why vote for another one with no vote on them - Aura?

So, no. Nox, and then Aura, are suspicious as targets of Hermione's spy night 1.

*sigh* I'm just voting for Nox because he is experienced! If he is a baddie then it will be terrible for goodies.

Okay, I don't want to out my role, but let me put it this way. If I die, goodies lose.

And yes, my motives seem baddie-like. But at least I've narrowed it down. One of the four of you voting for me is a baddie, taking advantage of the baddie-like motives of mine. And since Slick and Chaits voted late, I believe at least one of Auramyna or araver are baddies. My vote is changed to Auramyna

When I die, goodies, pay heed to what I said and vote one of them out.

I do not believe his last words are to be taken serious. In my opinion, there wasn't a clear bandwagon on him. He had 2 pressure votes. All he had to do was say something about himself, like "I had an action last night and it does not help me choose who to vote for". Everyone would have backed off after that claim that can be verified later on.

I dont understand why he didnt defend himself more, but maybe he hit nox as a malfoy, then switched? nox could have said that he was any vanilla and no one would know, but... I dont know. thats the scenario i see, unless aaryan hit a goodie. odds that he hit a goodie are high, and then he had to guess, but if he hit a baddie, my guess is malfoy, and thought he coudl do more by switching. Just my thoughts.

All he had to do was say something about himself, like "I had an action last night and it does not help me choose who to vote for". Everyone would have backed off after that claim that can be verified later on.

Wouldn't that have just made him a target for the baddies tonight?

Wouldn't that have just made him a target for the baddies tonight?

Not more of a target than he already was:

- Telling he had an action would not out him as a particular role it's a claim on one of 4 goodie roles which can be verified later on in the game (This is why baddies don't claim having/not having an action early in the game, since it limits their claims later in the game). For Aaryan, this would have dispersed the pressure in D1 - at least one if not more would have voted away from him D1.

- He could have managed to sneak in a spy if baddies targeted someone else in N2, as an effect of one of their spies in N1. That single spy could have made a difference.

- Claiming to have an action in itself raises WIFOM. Look at that claim from a Baddie PoV ... he could have made the claim to attract the NK to a vanilla instead of a goodie with an action.

In any case, he would have escaped the lynch and it would have been a tie or someone else would have been lynched. Looking at the odds from the spy's PoV, there were a lot of vanilla Goodies not to mention 4 baddies that could have been lynched and only three other important goodies with an action.

He said "Okay, I don't want to out my role, but let me put it this way. If I die, goodies lose." I suppose this is implying that he has (had) a role.

Yeah, everyone has a role. Including vanillas.

And that "If I die goodies lose" is the oldest weakest defense in the book. Goodies and Baddies use it a lot, there's no way to tell the difference.

In itself, it invites bandwagoning when one says something like that.

Yeah, everyone has a role. Including vanillas.

And that "If I die goodies lose" is the oldest weakest defense in the book. Goodies and Baddies use it a lot, there's no way to tell the difference.

In itself, it invites bandwagoning when one says something like that.

Oops. I meant action.

What's the difference between that and saying you have an action? I'd assume that goodies would be losing something valuable if a goodie with an action died. I guess "lose" is an exageration.

i see it as an exageration, itll be harder for us but not impossible.... when i saw that i thought to myself (i read it after the lynch) "oh crap we lynched harry". and i agree, that was a poor defence

@ araver i dont think aaryan spied me or aura. it seemed to me like he found a goodie (maybe harry?) and decided to vote at random to not get that goodie lynched. and then when you and aura voted him he ASSUMED that one or both of you are baddies which is still likely

which leads me to my question, any luck on who you visted last night araver? assuming you acted of course

Oops. I meant action.

What's the difference between that and saying you have an action? I'd assume that goodies would be losing something valuable if a goodie with an action died. I guess "lose" is an exageration.

We all have a role, only some have actions. Saying you don't want to out your role means claiming you are goodie. Saying you have an action means claiming you are one of 4 goodies with an action out of 9 possible goodies.

Goodies have the power to lynch baddies during the day and actions in the night to either get info on baddies or defend against NK or get a NK of their own. Take the actions away, and the Goodie faction is weakened, considerably. Needs at least 2 baddie lynches (or lucky RID Kills) to get back in the game, otherwise it's kinda downhill.

@ araver i dont think aaryan spied me or aura. it seemed to me like he found a goodie (maybe harry?) and decided to vote at random to not get that goodie lynched. and then when you and aura voted him he ASSUMED that one or both of you are baddies which is still likely

which leads me to my question, any luck on who you visted last night araver? assuming you acted of course

I don't know why Aaryan did what he did. If I am alive tomorrow I will pressure you and Aura to get you to at least share some info which you cannot deny later on. *shrug* Unless, as I said, the night-post gives us a suspect who was blocked and a baddie did not act.

Regarding the second question ... I would not be speaking that much if I had a lucky action, now, would I? :rolleyes:

If you wanna re-address that question in D2, I might say more.

i shall ask again, and in my opinion, even though you are leading interogation currently you, aura, slick and chaits are all possible baddies in my eye, because you all voted for aaryan

you understand my suspicion of you right?

edit: add chaits to my list

Edited by darth nox

i shall ask again, and in my opinion, even though you are leading interogation currently you, aura, slick and chaits are all possible baddies in my eye, because you all voted for aaryan

you understand my suspicion of you right?

Yes, perfectly warranted.

We all have a role, only some have actions. Saying you don't want to out your role means claiming you are goodie. Saying you have an action means claiming you are one of 4 goodies with an action out of 9 possible goodies.

Goodies have the power to lynch baddies during the day and actions in the night to either get info on baddies or defend against NK or get a NK of their own. Take the actions away, and the Goodie faction is weakened, considerably. Needs at least 2 baddie lynches (or lucky RID Kills) to get back in the game, otherwise it's kinda downhill.

:duh: I need to be more careful about how I phrase things. I meant the difference between claiming that goodies would lose someone and that you have a goodie role.

:duh: I need to be more careful about how I phrase things. I meant the difference between claiming that goodies would lose someone and that you have a goodie role.

Ah, now I see what you meant. Right, the difference is semantic. But in Mafia, sometimes, when you're a Goodie, being too subtle gets you killed/lynched if the intended recipients are not reading carefully. *shrug* Sometimes, it's better to be blunt, than sorry.

A) Claiming the goodies would lose someone important (i.e. will lose if they lynch you) is hinting at being an important Goodie. In this case, yes, he probably implied he had an (important) action. That is a weak claim though, it can be overseen by others reading ... and it can also be denied later on if people take your word, then comeback with an accusation in subsequent days. It's easier to say "Hey, I never claimed an action" if the formulation is ambiguous. Plausible deniability. "I did not actually say that, you thought that on your own, not my fault. I wasn't lying".

B) Claiming you do have an action in a game with 4 vanillas + one unlynchable (which is a passive ability, not an action) is a strong claim that can be demolished in other days by e.g. being blocked in a night where all 4 goodie actions happen and are referenced in the night-post.

Night 2

"Saiii aaashietth" Harry spoke, commanding the Basilisk to gaze upon nox rather than his chosen target. Thus a great victory was won: the Basilisk himself lay slain.

Seeking Harry, Colin crept from the dorm, close behind his suspect. At the same time, Riddle sought out Chaits. "Imperio", he cried; Chaits would obey Riddle this night.

Roster coming, just know nox=Basilisk is dead.

NK Rowling: Shadow7

Random House: Akriti

1. Peace

2. nox - dead; RIDed by Harry N2 and revealed as Basilisk

3. Aaryan - dead; lynched D1 and found to be Hermione

4. Anon26 - killed by Baddies

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

9. Slick

10. Araver

11. EDM

12. Auramyna

13. Segul

D2 ends 9 PM EST tomorrow. Current time EST: 9:39 PM.

NK Rowling: Shadow7

Random House: Akriti

1. Peace

2. nox - dead; RIDed by Harry N2 and revealed as Basilisk

3. Aaryan - dead; lynched D1 and found to be Hermione

4. Anon26 - killed by Baddies

5. yoDell

6. Thalia

7. Chaits

8. Q-Cumber

9. Slick

10. Araver - voting for Peace

11. EDM

12. Auramyna

13. Segul

That was a healthy recovery. Which makes me hug the OOA and the ">>"

Starting the day with peace, for no apparent reason other than the fact that I can vote for her and I got a bad vibe from her in Day 1 and her posts so far.

1 down and 3 to go. I'll need to be careful and not vote by defense alone. Let's see what peace types for the heck of it. Wish someone could spit up some helpful information. wacko.gif

So, you're kinda saying you got no info to share, right?

Any ESP Radar readings on anyone in particular?