BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Rest in Peace, Games Forum

flamebirde

I have fond memories of this forum. It was the first online community I joined, and the community was welcoming and intelligent (even though I am not :blush: ). Mafia was at one point a large part of my life, even when I sucked at it. That all changed after the forums went down. The day it finally back up was a great day for me. It's a shame, though, to see this all die out. At the time of this posting the most recent post in the Games section was Slick, asking if anyone was still interested way back in the beginning of December. I kinda blame myself too. This is my first time back since January 21. The Coup of Rhotus has been in signups for almost four or five years now.
 It was painful to slowly see this forum die. I was an idiot back then and am still one now, but this was one place I could be an idiot and nobody would say a word. Y-san, Molly Mae, Nana, Bonanova, Araver, Onetruth - all are gone now from this forum, and I doubt I will ever see them here again. It was said once before, elsewhere: it appears to be over. I once fought it, but I didn't really try.I hope someone sees this post. It seems the only place where BrainDen truly thrives is where it started, with the logic puzzles. I wish I could stick around and see this forum grow with a new generation of players.

tl;dr: It's game over, man, game over! The games section is dead.

Farewell, Games section; may you be revived once more - someday.

I really believe that if we can have strong advertising in the right places, this can and will be crowded once again. It may take many people to show what exists here.  It may take a societies of nerds to be invaded with ads.  This site was doing super in 2006 and up until the crash. If it was catchy at that time, it can be just as good going if not better.  Biggest trouble is not enough helpers and clients here to give a darn.  Hopefully it will happen or something more exciting is keeping this old-fashioned and not as attractive.

I really believe that if we can have strong advertising in the right places, this can and will be crowded once again. It may take many people to show what exists here.  It may take a societies of nerds to be invaded with ads.  This site was doing super in 2006 and up until the crash. If it was catchy at that time, it can be just as good going if not better.  Biggest trouble is not enough helpers and clients here to give a darn.  Hopefully it will happen or something more exciting is keeping this old-fashioned and not as attractive.

I agree. Every forum member, guest or simply a fan of this website can help by linking to BrainDen.com (or any specific page within these forums - eg. Mafia games) and by that recommending this website to others. Of course, the best place for such link/recommendation is a website visited by people who like brain teasers and games.

Are you a webmaster?

Do you have a blog?

Are you a regular contributor to other forums?

Do you have an account on myspace, facebook, twitter or any other social/community site?

Do you link your favorite sites on stumbleupon, digg, reddit, delicious or any other online bookmarking service?

Are you a teacher who gives his/her students brain teasers on your school's web site?

Are you a student who likes to discuss topics on school's web site or just chatting/talking to other students?

Do you have friends who like brain teasers and games?

If you answered "YES" at least once, then you can help by linking BrainDen pages that you like on other sites where you participate.

There is also another simple way to recommend good content to your friends - click Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top of the page that you find interesting. For instance, do you like our Optical Illusions?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

@flamebirde I came back on today and saw this. I'm still alive, and hear you loud and clear. I'd wager a lot of people have moved on with their lives but were made better people through playing Mafia and being a part of this welcoming community, and at least had a great time! The game lives on somewhere, if not in this community then in new ones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I still pop into here from time to time, but I rarely have time to host a game.

However, if you see this, message/PM me back - I'm willing to host a quick one (6-8) in August / September 2015 if you're interested. ;)

Edited by araver

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow. . . That was. . . depressing. As others have said, I think a large part is the fact that the crash lasted so long (several months?). A lot of people may not know the site is back up/have forgotten/gotten busy. Many probably stopped checking after a while. Those from the Mafia community that do know have moved over to MM. As for Coup of Rhotus, that was a larger than normal Mafia to begin with for this site. We're not as big as MM. Rebuilding takes time. I see Asylum and Justice League ran last year. Looks like Slick was considering hosting one but disappeared/didn't have a co-host? The last TMM ran in 2013. Maybe time for another attempt/recruiting drive?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

One of the problems we all face is indeed time, and yes, it appears a lot of community members have moved on.

But as I see it, the forum itself is not dead, so we could get a game started as long as it doesn't involve quick play.

I'm open to suggestions as long as it's fun. Maybe something lighter than Mafia at first. There were a lot of smaller interesting games that could be started and allow asynchronous input from players along the time and drop-ins. If one of those games sticks then after a short while we can try a game that requires everybody coming back at least 3 times a day to contribute.