BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

They said the world would end in Y2K, but.. it didn't and were still here. I honestly don't understand why people would argue for '2012.' If you really believe do in it, why would you want to waste your 'remaining' years stressing over the matter. I mean trying to convince others that world will end in 2012 won't benefit you whatsoever if the world is going to end anyways. At least ride it out so you can see how wrong you were and avoid killing yourself beforehand. Dying quick and painless to avoid the end of all humanity will just be tomorrow's highlights on the news, "Crazy man straps himself to bomb and..and dies? (would've never guessed)" or I'd rather prefer the "Man kills his whole family and dog in hopes of 'saving' their lives" His defense was that he ran out of bullets, he's being let go on the charge of insanity.

Now wouldn't you look to stupid?

Just saying. ^_^

Well I certainly hope the world doesn't end in 2012...that is the year we plan to take our kids to Disney World. Plus, I'm surely not lucky enough to have the world end so soon...I'll certainly have to live a full lifetime of this hell.

Sorry I was just posting in a lighter vein :lol: minus the smilies. :P

But seriously why shouldn't we consider the Mayans' predictions seriously. Their calender ends on Dec. 22, 2012. So it's logical from their point of view to say that the world ends on that particular day, the Mayans' belief. We cannot disrepute their claims based on no proof whatsoever! I am not saying the Mayans are right, but what's to say they aren't right? Not much of an argument, you might say, but time and again the unbelievable has happened. Sorry I haven't read the entire thread, so I could be repeating somebody.

What about Nostradamus' predictions? I personally thought his prophecies sounded vague(I am not anywhere near an expert on him), but his prophecies made interesting reading and if his prophecies have been interpreted right, by 2020, one of the countries in the Indian sub-continent will become the new superpower! Now, don't pounce on that statement, I am not saying it is 100% true, but at least it indicates that the world will not end in 2012. See the positive side!

And it could only be the end of a key part of the Mayan civilization in 2012, that makes more sense.

from what I can tell, the Mayan calendar does not end in 2012, but rather a very large time period of it does. For the Mayans this wasn't an apocalyptic prophecy but it would've been a huge festival (if they lived to 2012)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-...maya-2012_n.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8yMXINOh8U

What about Nostradamus' predictions? I personally thought his prophecies sounded vague(I am not anywhere near an expert on him), but his prophecies made interesting reading and if his prophecies have been interpreted right, by 2020, one of the countries in the Indian sub-continent will become the new superpower!.

Superpower of what? If he was referring to cricket, then it's already happened!!! I gotta build a bomb shelter!

Seriously though, what makes they Mayan calendar any more reliable than Nostradamus or any other method of prognostication? These types of things are repeatedly proved right and wrong based on interpretation. The only real answer is "time will tell." In the mean time, I've got more important things to worry about. Like rants ;)

Edited by Grayven

I think the Mayans just didn't get around to making the next installment for their calander. "Hey Tlacolotl, are you gonna work on that calander or what?" "I thought I'd start it next year, besides our once great civilization is kaput so what's the point anyway, plus we've got, like, 500 years til this one's done so what's the rush? Hey who are all those bearded dudes getting out of those big ships?"

Superpower of what? If he was referring to cricket, then it's already happened!!! I gotta build a bomb shelter!

Seriously though, what makes they Mayan calendar any more reliable than Nostradamus or any other method of prognostication? These types of things are repeatedly proved right and wrong based on interpretation. The only real answer is "time will tell." In the mean time, I've got more important things to worry about. Like rants ;)

Thanks Grayven! This one's close to my heart. :wub: Indian cricket is almost there(with IPL, but I hate the player auctioning part. Really are they humans or just assets and liabilities? I am boycotting IPL for that and a couple more reasons. :angry: ) And now India's vying for the top spot in the rankings. But these can be discussed in the Cricket topic.

And I agree with you Gray! Predictions prove more useful for discussions rather than averting a disaster. :P

I can point out the obviously obvious facts, but I want you folks to enjoy life to the maximum possible extent till Dec.22, 2012. Enjoy!

yay!! I'll have reached my 19th birthday!

seriously - i think that the myan culture might die out by 2012.

If you really want my opinion, they thought their calendar wasn't going to last that long and/or they were lazy! :P:lol:

edit: i was wrong - i ment 17th birthday - i wont be an adult!!! :'(

Edited by peace*out

yay!! I'll have reached my 19th birthday!

seriously - i think that the myan culture might die out by 2012.

If you really want my opinion, they thought their calendar wasn't going to last that long and/or they were lazy! :P:lol:

edit: i was wrong - i ment 17th birthday - i wont be an adult!!! :'(

Don't fret, Peace! You will become an adult; the world's not going to end anytime soon. :lol: