BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Lord of Combat

Molly Mae

HP 10

STR 1

DEF 1

SPD 1

You have 3 points to spend before the first day. Every point in HP = 5 HP. Every point in any other stat = 1.

Higher STR means you hit more often and do more damage when you hit.

Higher DEF means you are hit less often and take less damage when you are hit.

Higher SPD means that you attack first more often and you attack more frequently.

When your HP is 0 or below, you die.

Days consist of 4 parts: Buying, Equipping/Using, Fighting, Posting

Buying: You can purchase as many items as you can afford

Equipping/Using: You can equip/use items as necessary. You cannot change or use items in combat.

Fighting: You choose someone to attack. Using my super secret method, I'll determine the order of attacks and the damage done to each player.

Posting: At the end of the day, I will write a post of how the whole thing went down (who took damage, who's alive, how much life each player has, et al). After the post, the next day begins.

You begin with 5 coins. You gain 3 coins per day. If you eliminate a player, you loot their coins and items.

You can post in the main thread as much as you'd like. Feel free to openly strategise. Feel free to silently strategise.

The last player standing wins and is the Lord of Combat. There are no ties.

There was a very important rule that I wanted to include (and the reason I made this "other rules" section), but I can't remember what it is.

Regeneration! At the end of the day, each living player regenerates 2n-1 HP (where n==day number).

You can only wear 1 weapon, 1 armour, 1 shield, 1 pair of boots, 1 pair of gloves, 1 amulet, and 1 ring. You can carry as many items as you want.

You may perform the phases in any order; HOWEVER, you can only do a phase once per day. That means that you can NOT equip something, buy something, and then equip/use an item whether you just bought it or not.

Item (Cost) Description

Healing Potion (5) Heals 5 HP

High Healing Potion (10) Heals 15 HP

Strength Potion (10) Adds 2 STR for one day

Potion of Haste (20) Doubles SPD for one day

Short Sword (8) Adds 1 STR

Long Sword (20) Adds 2 STR

Whip (12) Adds 1 STR and 1 SPD

Buckler (7) Adds 1 DEF

Full Shield (18) Adds 2 DEF

Armour (15) Adds 2 DEF

Full-Plate (20) Adds 3 DEF, reduces SPD by 1

Bladed Boots (10) Adds 1 STR

Winged Boots (12) Adds 1 SPD

Iron Boots (9) Adds 1 DEF

Thief's Gloves (30) Gain x2 coins per day

Amulet of the Eye (30) Grants 3 points to be distributed by the wearer

Ring of Health (15) HP +15

Ring of Influence (20) Items in the Market cost half their normal value.

This first game is for five players. The next one may include more, depending on who hosts it if I don't.

I'd like days to run for about 24 hours and end about 4 PM Florida Time (US Eastern -- I measure all of my time based on the current time in Florida). Each one will be a day-to-day decision, though. Days may end a bit earlier or later depending on whether I have everything or am too busy or if players have something come up.

When the roster is full, I'll send you a PM with your base information.

Note: If anyone wants me to detail an example day 1, I can. Feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by Molly Mae

All right:

Day 1

1. Aaryan

2. Brian

3. Charlie

4. David

5. Edward (Scissorhands...not Cullen)

I PM each player welcoming to the game and posting their base character:

HP: 10

STR: 1

DEF: 1

SPD: 1

I ask for their initial boost. You get three points to spend and can place as many as you'd like in any stat(s). Every point put into HP boosts it by 5. After this is done, every day is the same. Say Aaryan boosts STR, STR, and SPD. His character now looks like:

Aaryan

Coins: 3

HP: 10

STR: 3

DEF: 1

SPD: 2

He now sends me a message with his purchases, equips/uses, and fight. NOTE: The order of Purchase and Equip/Use is important. Fight will always come after these two steps. So he can't buy anything today because he only has 3 coins. He can't equip or use any items, so he'll fight Edward. There's no limit to the number of people who can attack someone, but you can only attack one person per night.

Whoever has the highest speed goes first. Without revealing my super secret method for attacks and defences, I'll just say that when you attack someone, you attack them at least twice and they attack you at least once. Damage is recorded and I move on to the next fight. I do this all the way to the end of the fights. Then I write a post saying who attacked who, who died, and what each player's HP looks like. For example:

Aaryan attacked Edward and, after short work, left him broken on the floor.

Edward, using his super awesome bladed hands, cut up Charlie pretty bad.

Brian, who had no idea Edward was going after Charlie, doubled up and kicked Chuck while he was down.

Charlie was barely alive, but he attacked Aaryan. Aaryan fought back and did a little damage--enough to finally break Charlie's back. Literally. Charlie dies.

David attacked Brian and both fought valiantly.

(The actual posts may have more or less detail).

1. Aaryan (HP 6/10)

2. Brian (HP 7/10)

3. Charlie - Died D1

4. David (HP 8/10)

5. Edward (HP 4/10)

All living players receive 3 coins.

(I would PM Aaryan and let him know that he received Charlie's 3 coins as loot).

(I forgot to mention that each day, you get 1 point to put into a stat of your choice)

(I was going to borrow woon's EXP based on damage done, but decided against it)

So Day 2 (and on until the end of the game), the player can:

1. Add an attribute point to HP, STR, DEF, or SPD

2. Buy items from the Market

3. Equip items / use items

And then the player must:

1. Choose someone to fight.

And then the host must:

1. Determine the order of fights

2. Resolve all of the fights

3. Detail in a post how the fights ended

So an acceptable PM on any given day could be:

"Add 1 to SPD, buy two Health Potions, equip the short sword, attack Edward."

Edited by Molly Mae

Sounds like playing Oblivion .. on a forum ;) .. :D

Looks like fun but I would rather be an observer the first time around :)...

Questions to MM :

1.is the order of fights important ? or to rephrase : in your example if Edward would have been strong enough to kill Charlie during their fight .. would the fight between Charlie and Aaryan ever happen ?

2. If two players choose the same target .. does the target start with the same HP both fights or the two fights are sequential ? (as per your example: did Charlie start each fight with full HP or was the damage dealt by Edward carried on in the following fight ?

3. If fights are sequential and damage is carried from battle to battle during the same night ... how do you figure out the fight's order... ? I'm thinking speed only has to do with which player hits first in a battle , not with the order of battles , correct ?

Questions to MM :

1.is the order of fights important ? or to rephrase : in your example if Edward would have been strong enough to kill Charlie during their fight .. would the fight between Charlie and Aaryan ever happen ?

The order of the fights is important for a few reasons, but mostly it will determine who actually kills another player. The answer to your example is no. If Charlie is dead, he can't participate in any more fights.

2. If two players choose the same target .. does the target start with the same HP both fights or the two fights are sequential ? (as per your example: did Charlie start each fight with full HP or was the damage dealt by Edward carried on in the following fight ?

The fights are sequential.

3. If fights are sequential and damage is carried from battle to battle during the same night ... how do you figure out the fight's order... ? I'm thinking speed only has to do with which player hits first in a battle , not with the order of battles , correct ?

Speed generally determines the order of the fight. I have a method whereby I determine the order, similar to the initiative roll in D&D. The highest speed does NOT necessarilly go first, it's just more likely that he will.

Alright, i'm in :D

1. Aaryan

2. Flamebirde

3. gvg

4. Panther

A quick question -

If a person attacks someone else and hurts them, then another person arrives and finishes them off, does the first person recieve anything at all for 'helping'?

Edited by Panther

A quick question -

If a person attacks someone else and hurts them, then another person arrives and finishes them off, does the first person recieve anything at all for 'helping'?

A good question. I had originally considered it, but decided against it for one reason: I'm trying to keep this game very simple. I tried making a game similar to this last year and it accidentally turned into a d6-based tabletop game that Hirk and I are finishing. So to keep it simple, it's whoever kills the person.

A good question. I had originally considered it, but decided against it for one reason: I'm trying to keep this game very simple. I tried making a game similar to this last year and it accidentally turned into a d6-based tabletop game that Hirk and I are finishing. So to keep it simple, it's whoever kills the person.

Fair enough, we don't want it getting too complicated lol

I'm excited for this game :D

Fair enough, we don't want it getting too complicated lol

I'm excited for this game :D

Me too. =P

The schedule might be a bit looser than mafia. For weekends, I'll try to post an update if everyone has submitted. We'll likely do a scum-style weekend as I am usually not home until late Sunday night.

Maybe during the day you could post a riddle or something, and the first person who solves it gets coins or items. Just an idea.

Woon did something like that. If I have a puzzle, I'll post it and give a reward for anyone who can answer it. Answers would be done through PM and more than one person would be able to answer it. Otherwise someone who's typically asleep won't ever have a chance at it.

We'll start as soon as we get our fifth.

Okay. easy enough. but I'll be gone next Tuesday through Friday. is that okay, or should I just go as a backup?

@ panther: Don't target me, or so help me I'll.... I'll..... I'll use my super awesome secret ability that doesn't actually exist!

@MoMa: Do potions stack? As in, if I drink 2 strength potions and my strength is at 10, does it double to 20 then double again to 40? or does it always stay at 20?

Okay. easy enough. but I'll be gone next Tuesday through Friday. is that okay, or should I just go as a backup?

@ panther: Don't target me, or so help me I'll.... I'll..... I'll use my super awesome secret ability that doesn't actually exist!

@MoMa: Do potions stack? As in, if I drink 2 strength potions and my strength is at 10, does it double to 20 then double again to 40? or does it always stay at 20?

If you want, you can send me information for while you're gone (which stats to increase, who to attack, conditions for buying items). You might be a bit disadvantaged by not being able to revisit decisions based on days, but I'd allow it. Add your name to the signup if you're interested and we'll start today. I'll end the day as soon as I get information from everyone. We could probably even do multiple days in a single day if we're all available.

As for your question about Strength Potions--it adds 2 STR. The Potion of Haste doubles speed and only one can be used per day.

Edited by Molly Mae