BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Anyone have a recommendation on a movie to watch? I need to update my netflix list.

I appreciate the advice I got in here inthe past. I saw the EduKators (german flick) and really liked it.

I would recomend :

Across the Universe

In Bruges

Anyone have a recommendation on a movie to watch? I need to update my netflix list.

I appreciate the advice I got in here inthe past. I saw the EduKators (german flick) and really liked it.

I would recomend :

Across the Universe

In Bruges

Body of lies, City of ember, Quarantine seem to look good but, I never seen them myself. :o

Well, if you're looking for one's out on DVD...

"Momento" is intriguing

"All About My Mother" (I actually saw the original spanish version "Todo Sobre Mi Madre" when I was in Spain...I haven't seen it with the English sub-titles, but in my opinion the sub-titles don't really subtract from the film)

"Fargo" is my all-time favorite black comedy. If you haven't seen it yet, "Burn After Reading" is a very similar type movie - disturbing yet hilarious.

and of course one of my all-time favorites, which doesn't get near the recognition it deserves: "Stranger Than Fiction" - definitely NOT the typical Will Ferrell movie (think Jim Carrey in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" except less bizzare :) )

Enjoy.

I would recomend :

Across the Universe

In Bruges

Love In Bruges is such a good film! Would recommend Donnie Darko its my favourite film of all time :D

The Wind that Shakes the Barley if you can find it, and Once is brilliant!

I, Robot :P

Enemy of the State

National Treasure (the first one)

Cloverfield

Rush Hour 1,2,3 :D

The Prestige

Next

Airplane, Space Balls, Monty Python, Naked Gun, etc :lol:

Batman Begins (only superhero movie I like - other than The Dark Knight of course)

Ocean's 11,12,13

and ummm... The Matrix (I can't believe I still haven't seen that movie in full lol)

all the above are great movies, and many more I'm forgetting :P

new ones, still in theater:

Eagle Eye

Body of Lies (haven't seen it, but it looks awesome)

City of Ember (heavn't seen it but the book is amazing!)

Great! I have seen most of the movies mentioned in here, thread, but Joe's Student had some I was unaware of.

PG I love those movies! And Bb I am gonna check your list now.

Thanks. And keep em coming!

And I tried to get your list Bb not happening.

http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/PFcaxophgrA9x105CEvF

this link is supposed to let me see your list or you can see mine but they dont show our names.. whatever...

Edited by crazypainter

The Fall - I just saw this, it's really awesome

City of God

A Scanner Darkly

The Fountain

Waking Life

Sukiyuki Western Django - I'm a huge Takashi Miike fan. Is anybody else?

The Bird People of China - also Miike

Existenz

Inland Empire - anything by David Lynch really

The Science of Sleep

What the Bleep do we Know?

Mirrormask

Children of Men

anything by Kurosawa B))

I'm not much of a movie person, since I usually go for plot/character development, which requires longer media, but here are some I like:

Sin City

Match Point

Crash

My Sassy Girl (Korean)

Battle Royale (Japanese)

Battle Royale is amazing! so is Sin City for that matter, but I'm sure less people have heard of Battle Royale so I'll promote that some more.

Other great Japanese flicks: Ichi the Killer, Sword of Doom, Audition

anyone ever seen 3 Extremes? It's pretty crazy too. And Sympathy for Mr. vengeance and Old Boy. Old Boy is so great, now I want to watch it again B))

The Fall - I just saw this, it's really awesome

City of God

A Scanner Darkly

The Fountain

Waking Life

Sukiyuki Western Django - I'm a huge Takashi Miike fan. Is anybody else?

The Bird People of China - also Miike

Existenz

Inland Empire - anything by David Lynch really

The Science of Sleep

What the Bleep do we Know?

Mirrormask

Children of Men

anything by Kurosawa B))

The one thing i've seen of David Lynch's fully is Twin Peaks the Drama/Mystery series which is totally unbelievable and David Lynch-esque! Have you seen it?

CP: I've plenty more films where those came from :) . My parents watch alot of independent/world/non-hollywood cinema so i've seen quite alot of things that aren't exactly known worldwide :) I'll think of some more for you...

there's one German film which is absolutely mind-blowing about a high ranking Stasi officer in East Germany during the climax of the Cold War... the actor died shortly after the film won the awards it did.... if only i could remeber the name of it.... <_< :rolleyes:

Edited by Joe's Student

The one thing i've seen of David Lynch's fully is Twin Peaks the Drama/Mystery series which is totally unbelievable and David Lynch-esque! Have you seen it?

CP: I've plenty more films where those came from :) . My parents watch alot of independent/world/non-hollywood cinema so i've seen quite alot of things that aren't exactly known worldwide :) I'll think of some more for you...

there's one German film which is absolutely mind-blowing about a high ranking Stasi officer in East Germany during the climax of the Cold War... the actor died shortly after the film won the awards it did.... if only i could remeber the name of it.... <_< :rolleyes:

yeah if you only could! I am very much into independent cinema as well. being so close to hollywood, the big budgets dont get me going.

yeah if you only could! I am very much into independent cinema as well. being so close to hollywood, the big budgets dont get me going.

Got it! The German one i mentioned is called The Lives of Others. B))

Have to agree with you there CP, once you see a great film like Gosford Park, which is devoid of all Hollywood's perfect lighting and extreme budgets, you can never really go back and enjoy something like The Dark Knight (although it was a good film) just as much... I'll make a list for you and post later today or tomorrow, let m know if you watch any of them and like them.. :)

Love In Bruges is such a good film! Would recommend Donnie Darko its my favourite film of all time :D

The Wind that Shakes the Barley if you can find it, and Once is brilliant!

F***ing Bruges hahhah, I love Colin Farrell!!!

Oh and I love Cillian Murphy and liked a lot "The Wind that Shakes the Barley"

"Intermission" Colin + Cillian = hilarious

Oh and you must, must, MUST watch "Stranger than Fiction"! Brilliant film!!! Will Farrell's in it, but this role is unlike his others (this is not a comedy)!

:D

EDIT: I forgot to say that there are so many brilliant lines in "In Bruges" :lol: + Colin with his genuine Irish accent!!! = PRICELESS

Edited by andromeda

Yeah, Twin Peaks is awesome. He also made a prequel movie called Fire Walk with Me which is really crazy. It's funny because they cut Twin Peaks off the air without finishing the story, so the studio gave Lynch a chance to sum it up in a movie, but instead of finishing the story he made a prequel to the TV show - so badass of him ;) My favorite Lynch movies are Mulholland Dr. and Blue Velvet.

I would recomend :

Across the Universe

In Bruges

How about Hindi Movies, Bollywood (Bombay, now known as Mumbai) churns out movies like hot cakes. There are many which I can recommend :D

How about Hindi Movies, Bollywood (Bombay, now known as Mumbai) churns out movies like hot cakes. There are many which I can recommend :D

Hey! What about you own Bengali movies? Alongwith Malayalam they can make a mockery of Bollywood, Tollywood(Tamil or Telegu, I don't know) maybe even Hollywood. Atleast that's what I have heard. Bollywood, for a few exceptions, has been reduced to just skimpy dresses and storylines which lose their plot midway. :lol:

WANTED (2008) Angelina Jolie, James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman

great movie! It never failed me to cry...

Yeah!!! Bekmambetov's done a good job with that film and I loved his "Night Watch" and "Day Watch" - critics called it Russian Matrix!!!

EDIT: great job

Edited by andromeda

Hey! What about you own Bengali movies? Alongwith Malayalam they can make a mockery of Bollywood, Tollywood(Tamil or Telegu, I don't know) maybe even Hollywood. Atleast that's what I have heard. Bollywood, for a few exceptions, has been reduced to just skimpy dresses and storylines which lose their plot midway. :lol:

I don't remember the last Bengali movie I saw, but the last Hindi one was Rock-On, I think :huh:

WANTED (2008) Angelina Jolie, James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman

great movie! It never failed me to cry...

Seen it, nice action and it makes Kung-Fu movies look like from stone-age. Nice Stunts or was it camera trick.... :D

I just saw city of ember last night and that was actually a pretty good movie :)

I never atually finished the book though so i don't know how well it stayed true to the book... But for the part of of the movie that i read the book it followed it pretty well...

The "childrens book" City of Ember is so much more than a children's book - it's awesome. I'm hesitant to see the movie cuz most book-to-movie transitions aren't very good, but if it does stay true to the book... hmm..