BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Beggar

unreality

Question

let me start if off with the Beggar I just came up with: (it's an expansion of the 5-day winner idea)

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 5 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

Edited by bonanova

• Answers 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

From the data I have collected so far :

(A) The number of posts made by players prior to Night-1 in descending order (Post # 1 to # 49)

Phaze - 14

Slickster, Sokrisky - 4

Crazypainter, Dusty, woon - 3

twoaday, Brandonb - 2

Frozen, onetruth, ThunderChicken - 1

Mekal, Kat, GC, Nayana, Dawh, Clueless, Taliesin, Ben Law, Joe's Student - 0

Total number of posts by live players prior to Night-1 is 37

* Phaze got killed, he has the most number of posting

* Very low number of postings by the players

(B) The number of posts made by players between Night-1 to Day - 2 in descending order (Post # 50 to # 243)

Kat - 28

ThunderChicken - 23

Crazypainter - 22

Brandonb - 13

onetruth, Dusty, Taliesin - 10

Mekal, Joe's Student - 9

Nayana - 6

Dawh, woon - 4

GC, SoKrisky - 3

Frozen - 2

Twoaday, Ben Law - 1

Clueless - 0

Total number of posts by live players between Night-1 to Day-2 is 160

* 4X times (A) mainly due to the air-locking process

© Total number of posts by live players (Post # 246 to # 352) between Day-2 to Night-2 is 93

(D) Total number of posts by live players (Post # 356 to # 360 and still counting) between Night-2 to Day-3 is 81

This implies that there is a wane in the number of posting and not much discussion is going on :P

You have to remember that the nights are shorter than the days, so it makes sense that they have fewer posts. As for day 2, it isn't even half over yet :rolleyes: and it has about half as many posts as day 1, so that doesn't necessarily mean a wane in posts in this game, but there is definitely a lot of not talking going on in general compared to previous games.

Edit: I have an excuse for day 1. I wasn't even allowed to talk... <_<

Edited by dawh

the idea of 36 is so that people like me do not end up with votes against whjile sleeping and waking up to defend while no one else is around due to school, work, parenting and other reasons - all valid but to be frank if you have no one to argue with/defend against and the time shuts off the same time every day - due to school, wrk etc then it is a forgone concluson and there is no point in playing - you have no chance if you are out of zone - midday Us time means at Us bed time - its over! so it realistically means that ther are no full circle chances to challenge - perhaps it comes down to playing in your own time zone....

As I said before, this can and will happen no matter what the time limit is.

People will be accused when they are not online, and votes will stack against them. There is no way to set a prevention to that. It's part of the game, though it can be unfair, it's still how this thing works. It happened to me at the end of day 1 in M4F14. I probably wouldn't have been able to convince people not to vote for me, but by the time I got on and saw that the votes had stacked up, I was only able to try and defend myself to about 7 players. So it's pretty clear that the plan to prevent this "problem" was never going to work in the first place.

The reason for the original 24hr time constraints was so that inactive players could be easily identified and eliminated. Now it is turning into something else and in the end is making things worse all-around.

36hrs is entirely too long for a day cycle. 24hrs allows for everyone in the world to get on and check the thread. You cannot prevent the fact that there will be people who are in bed during the last few crunch hours before the lynch post. It is an inevitable fact.

Lets assume that crunch time is the last 8hrs before the lynch post, heck, lets call it 12 for argument's sake. There has been no extra posting going on during the hours prior to the crunch time, in fact, it may be safe to assume that there has been even less because there's no reason for many time zone to bother saying anything on the first 12hrs of their daytime cycle.

The only thing that a 36hr day does is bring the game to a screeching halt until crunch time. There has been about half the amount of conversation in the 24hrs prior to the 36hr crunch time as their was in the 12hrs during the 24hr cycle.

There has also been less talk during the actual crunch time, no one bothers to post much. Since the requirement guidelines for being considered as "active" has been cut by 33%, the people that want to lay low, are pretty much able to not even bother to participate.

About 89hrs has passed since M4F14 began, and in that time there has been 459 posts.

After about 89 hours has passed in Mafia VI, there were 721 posts, that's a difference of 262 posts... about 25 pages worth of discussion.

What really makes this bad, is that even though Maf VI started with one extra person, there are more people alive in M4F14 than there were in MafVI b/c all the baddies tried to kill one person on the same night.

I'll give credit though, at this point in the game I'm sure Maf VI had more irrelevant posts, though this early in the game I don't think it could be more than 12.

So where does that leave us? The same amount of time has passed, and the time requirement was extended in order to promote discussion, however DISCUSSION HAS DECREASED BY 54%!! I warned that extending the time limits was a bad idea, but I never thought that it would be THIS bad!

I feel like I've been making an argument against welfare :P which I guess it actually is. It's a welfare time extension, and like governmental welfare, it is ruining the game. It is completely unfair to the active players, and eliminates the incentives of other players to compete and participate.

****Additional info accidentally deleted by Moderators****

To confront any arguments that the discussion has gone down as a result of some players going back to school:

At the point in the game that I am making this argument, there are 14 players

At the comparable point in Maf VI there were only 10 players

A difference of 4 players should easily make up for the lack of posts. If anything it should at least counteract the reduction in discussion so that it would be about 15-20% instead of 54%.

Therefore the school issue is not really relevant to the discussion problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please tell me we are all in agreement about this!?

As I said before, this can and will happen no matter what the time limit is.

People will be accused when they are not online, and votes will stack against them. There is no way to set a prevention to that. It's part of the game, though it can be unfair, it's still how this thing works. It happened to me at the end of day 1 in M4F14. I probably wouldn't have been able to convince people not to vote for me, but by the time I got on and saw that the votes had stacked up, I was only able to try and defend myself to about 7 players. So it's pretty clear that the plan to prevent this "problem" was never going to work in the first place.

The reason for the original 24hr time constraints was so that inactive players could be easily identified and eliminated. Now it is turning into something else and in the end is making things worse all-around.

Originally, the plan was for the host to decide when the debate was pretty much settled and most people had voted. But because people were not voting or participating at times, we added the 24/18 rule for days and nights. Perhaps a hybrid of the original and the enforced rules could work.

I haven't thought about this too much, but maybe we can take out time restrictions (so long as there is plenty of time for everyone to participate) and leave it to the host to decide when to end voting with certain conditions added. Of course the host should warn people when he/she is considering to end the vote so that people know when it is expected to end, but the host can also call out players who are not participating (in the host's view.) If there's a significant period of time where a person is unaccounted for or isn't providing meaningful content to the debate, the host can call them out and give them a warning. If the person does not respond in a timely manner, or after rejoining the conversation slips again later, the host has the discretion to replace that player. Two strikes and you're out sort of thing. If a player provides extenuating circumstances to the host either in the thread, or in a PM, the host can decide the best course without necessarily holding up everyone else. The host can say "the day ends in about 24 hours" or whatever and if debate dries up a couple hours early and no one has requested a time extension they can end debate early or if the debate is still heated at the 24 hour mark, they can extend the deadline.

Like I said, I'm not sure if this would work, but it's a possible alternative. :unsure:

I thought 36 hrs would be good too, but I trust Bb implicitly about this, I'm sure he's correct. If we're going to shuffle time constraints, then I'm proposing this for Mafia VII:

nights: stay the same. 18 hours MAXIMUM. If I get PMs in before that, I make night post sooner. If not, they don't perform their night action that night

days: they end when everyone has voted for the same person, except that person

at first you might think 'OMG no way' but hear me out. I often notice that players don't have enough time to defend themselves and make arguments, etc, for a meaningful day. You might come on, find a lot of votes against you and not enough players will be on by the deadline.

In my solution, if one single person holds out, they can make a statement, and if other players agree they will switch and it will become a debate again, otherwise the player will be shot down and he will have no choice but to join the bandwagon. This process ensures complete days where everyone has said everything they want to say, and everyone has listened and responded. The day is as long as necessary- it could be much shorter, or take whatever until everyone has voted for 'player X' except player X. Once this point is reached, nobody can change their vote.

However, 'laying low' will not be allowed, and the host (me) will hand out inactivity warnings. Two warnings, and you get replaced. No laying low. I will crack down like a hawk on this part, so not to worry

what do you think?

Edited by unreality

I thought 36 hrs would be good too, but I trust Bb implicitly about this, I'm sure he's correct. If we're going to shuffle time constraints, then I'm proposing this for Mafia VII:

nights: stay the same. 18 hours MAXIMUM. If I get PMs in before that, I make night post sooner. If not, they don't perform their night action that night

at first you might think 'OMG no way' but hear me out. I often notice that players don't have enough time to defend themselves and make arguments, etc, for a meaningful day. You might come on, find a lot of votes against you and not enough players will be on by the deadline.

In my solution, if one single person holds out, they can make a statement, and if other players agree they will switch and it will become a debate again, otherwise the player will be shot down and he will have no choice but to join the bandwagon. This process ensures complete days where everyone has said everything they want to say, and everyone has listened and responded. The day is as long as necessary- it could be much shorter, or take whatever until everyone has voted for 'player X' except player X. Once this point is reached, nobody can change their vote.

However, 'laying low' will not be allowed, and the host (me) will hand out inactivity warnings. Two warnings, and you get replaced. No laying low. I will crack down like a hawk on this part, so not to worry

what do you think?

I think that the "Twelve Angry Men" approach is interesting and certainly has some merits, but it would also have some of the same problems they had. (If you don't know what I''m talking about, look it up; it's both a movie and a play. ;) ) I have some other comments, but I'll hold off on them until M4F14 is over (which could be a while. :( )

what do you think?

I think that's getting back to where we need to be, but what about instead of a unanimous vote, it's a high percentage. If everyone is pretty much unanimous, except for, say, someone in India who will not be on again until the following day, then everyone else must wait. Not to mention, someone there are very divided lines in the votes. Voting turns into a part of the strategy. In order to have EVERYONE vote for the same person, then almost everyone would probably need to have the same info. Therefore, all strategy would be eliminated.

Instead of calling it unanimous... what about just going back to our improvised rule in the earlier games, that one person must just have a clear majority? (To be decided by the moderator) Something like 20% more of the vote (once everyone has voted), than the nearest other lynchee (this would allow for multi-way votes, instead of just two-way)

Right then call it. No begging, pleading, no "I wasnt around", just a cold hard line drawn in the sand.

Edited by Brandonb

Hmmm. How about when someone gets n-4 votes, when n is the number of people alive.

15 people alive = 11 votes required

However this changes. Chart:

2 people left - no lynch

3 people left - 2 votes required (ie, everyone except victim)

4 people left - 3 votes required (ie, everyone except victim)

5 people left - 3 votes required

6 people left - 4 votes required

7 people left - 5 votes required

8 people left - 5 votes required

9 people left - 6 votes required

10 people left - 6 votes required (ie, from this point on, always n-4)

edit: once this point is reached, it is acknowledged and there's no turning back or changing votes

Edited by unreality

Actually, here's my idea:

Enforce an Inactivity Check at 24 hrs.

Days will be 36 hours, but everyone needs to have voted (and discussed) by 24 hours into the day or they are killed off/replaced for inactivity. This way the ppl accused have the last 12 hours to try to change ppl's minds.

I can start enforcing this now if ppl agree with it.

Actually, here's my idea:

Enforce an Inactivity Check at 24 hrs.

Days will be 36 hours, but everyone needs to have voted (and discussed) by 24 hours into the day or they are killed off/replaced for inactivity. This way the ppl accused have the last 12 hours to try to change ppl's minds.

I can start enforcing this now if ppl agree with it.

It is definitely a good idea... If you are in a game 24 hours is more than ample time for you to cast a vote and if there is no discussion the day may end there since the chance of changing of vote will be almost 1/infinity :P

btw - twas my idea for longer days so pls let the blame lie where its belongs - still not in favour of rushing - other than trying a rapido mafioso game one saturday - 14:00 - 18:00 hrs GMT 20 players smashing posts at each other, hour one = night one hour two = day one.. etc, rules simplified and read on friday - have it run every first saturday of the month

I think we need a Mafia forum very soon if it works

I updated the Game Rules at the bottom:

Mafia VII

Takes place in a remote village...

Factions:

* Independent (3)

* Mafia (5)

* Townsfolk (10)

Independent:

* Alpha Werewolf - [knows who Slayer is] bites one person each night to "infect" them with lycanthropy. The new Werewolf can almost always still use their Townsfolk role ability, but is now sided with the Alpha Werewolf, and all Werewolves have BTSC. The Alpha Werewolf can only bite and infect Townsfolk, so if he/she picks a non-Townsfolk role (Mafia, Cypher, Mercenary), he/she is informed and can attempt to bite someone else (all the AW is told is that the person is not a Townsfolk). If the Alpha Werewolf is lynched, all living Werewolves die too, but if the Alpha Werewolf dies at night, a new Werewolf is picked randomly to become the Alpha Werewolf. The Werewolves win when 4 or more Werewolves are alive, including the Alpha Werewolf

* Cypher - [knows who CA is] the Cypher is a serial killer who leaves a mathematical code to his/her next victim. The Cypher chooses his/her kill each night for the following night, so on the first night there is no kill, but there is still a code for the 2nd night victim. And on the 2nd night, the Cypher picks the victim for the 3rd night, etc. The code is uniform throughout. The Cypher is invincible to werewolf bites as well as normal death, the only way they can die (at first) is being caught by the Cryptanylist. The Cryptanylist, or CA, is a Townsfolk-sided code-breaker who picks one person each night (except the 1st) whom they think is the Cypher's victim for that night. If the CA is correct, the Cypher is caught and killed. If the CA dies, the Cypher becomes vulnerable to normal death, but still cannot be bitten by the Alpha Werewolf. The Cypher wins if he/she is still alive and killing when another faction wins, ie, they win together

* Mercenary - the Mercenary has been hired to take out a specific person with a lynching. The person, or 'target', is random from the list of all other roles except Alpha Werewolf, the Don and the Cypher. The Mercenary knows the role of the target. If the Mercenary's target is killed by the Mafia, the Mercenary joins the Mafia, and if the Mercenary's target is killed by the Vigilante, Slayer, or Firework Maker, the Mercenary joins the Townsfolk. If the Cypher kills the target, the Mercenary can choose to work for the Mafia OR the Townsfolk OR to be assigned a new lynch target

Mafia:

* Don - the leader of the Mafia group. If checked by the Spy, is seen as a random non-Werewolf Townsfolk role from the 9 non-Spy roles

* Consigliere - the personal adviser to the Don. Picks one person each night and collects data on them via contacts, learning their role (including if they are a Werewolf or not). If the Don dies, the Consigliere takes over as head of the Mafia, having both the Don's ability and the Consigliere's original ability

* Hitman - one of the most skilled hitmen in the Mafia's arsenal. Kills anyone that visits him/her at night (Spy, Medic, Herbalist, Slayer, Mountaineer, but NOT CA or Tourist) or, in the case of the Vigilante, there is a 50-50 chance who wins the fight (Hitman or Vigilante). If Cypher visits the Hitman while the CA is still alive (and the Cypher is thus invincible), the Hitman is killed. However, if the CA is dead and the Cypher goes after the Hitman, the Hitman kills the Cypher

* Bankroller - controls the Mafia's finances as well as its legitimate businesses. Everyone knows who the Bankroller is from the getgo, and thus the Bankroller is sort of the spokesperson for the Mafia, but if the Bankroller is lynched, he/she can pick anyone to kill in the lynching if the Hitman is still alive

* Framer - can frame someone each day. If the Spy picks that person the following night, the Spy is told 'Framer'. Nobody is informed if/when a framing takes place or who was framed

Townsfolk:

* Spy - spies on one person each night and gets their exact role (except in the special case of the Don), including Werewolf role if they've been bitten

* Medic - an unofficial doctor who prowls around the village at night. The Medic can save two people each night (from death only, not from werewolf bites), with no restrictions on who EXCEPT for the fact that the Spy is too elusive to protect while snooping someone. If the Spy decides not to spy on someone, they are savable by the Medic

* Herbalist - can cure lyncanthropy, but only if done within minutes of the bite, and thus each night the Herbalist can pick one person to save from the Alpha Werewolf's bite

* Slayer - picks one person each night except the first night. If the person is a Werewolf, they are slain. The Slayer cannot be bitten by the Alpha Werewolf

* Vigilante - kills one person each night except the first night

* Firework Maker - lives in a house full of explosives and gunpowder. If the Mafia or Alpha Werewolf or Cypher visits, they see it and may retreat, OR keep going, but with a 1/2 chance of the person (either Alpha Werewolf or Hitman or Cypher) being blown up. If Hitman is already dead, a random living Mafioso is picked instead. If there is no explosion, the Firework Maker is killed or bitten as normal, but if there is an explosion (1/2 chance), there is a 2/3 chance the Firework Maker will die in it. During the day, the Firework Maker picks someone. If that person is the Framer, the Framer's frame is not successful, and both the Spy and the Mafia are notified (but not the Firework Maker). The Firework Maker can pick the same person two days in a row if he/she wishes

* Mayor - the acting Mayor of the small village has a few privileges. First, his/her vote secretly counts as 2, and secondly, if the Mayor is lynched, his/her role is revealed but he/she does not die

* Tourist - the only person with a laptop or internet connection in this mountain village. The Tourist was just here for the getaway and nice views when the troubles began, and just wants to get back home. Unfortunately, they're stranded here and must help the Townsfolk. Each day, the Tourist can look someone up on their laptop, and learns their werewolf status (bitten or not bitten), but the data is also sent to the Cypher, who has hacked the Tourist's computer. Also, if the person picked is the lynch target of the Mercenary, the Tourist is informed (and so is the Cypher of course)

* Mountaineer - [knows who Medic is] the Mountaineer likes to go on late-night hiking trips, and can pick one person to take with him/her. The picked person is immune from being killed or bitten, but they cannot perform any night action. The Spy can still spy on them, and if the chosen person is the Don, the Don's true identity is revealed to the Spy. If the Mountaineer picked the last Mafioso, there is no Mafia kill. If they picked the Alpha Werewolf, the Alpha Werewolf bites the Mountaineer as the bite for that night. Once the Mountaineer has taken someone on a climb, they cannot do it again

* Cryptanylist - the Cryptanylist, or CA, is an expert code-breaker whose goal is to crack the Cypher's code and figure out the serial killer's next victim. Each night, except the first, the CA picks someone who they think will be the Cypher's victim. The CA must give me some logical reasoning to prove it's not just a random guess, and if they are correct, the Cypher is caught and killed. The Cryptanylist can choose themselves

There are names for when a Townsfolk gets bitten and turns into a Werewolf:

* the Spy becomes the Prowler [can still use Spy ability]

* the Medic becomes the Guard Dog [can still use Medic's ability]

* the Herbalist becomes the Stray [new ability: votes count secretly x2]

* the Vigilante becomes the Rabid Attacker [can still kill]

* the Firework Maker becomes the Firework Wolf [keeps abilities]

* the Mayor becomes the Prime [keeps abilities]

* the Tourist becomes the Retriever [only keeps Mercenary-check ability]

* the Mountaineer becomes the Kidnapper [keeps ability]

* the Cryptanylist becomes the Bloodhound [keeps ability]

* Game Rules *

> Nights are a MAXIMUM of 18 hours, though if I get all the PMs, the night post may come earlier, it could also come later depending on my schedule (in which case I would allow late night-PMs, but don't gamble on it)

> Days end when a certain person gets a certain amount of votes. This is acknowledged by all and no more voting can take place after this. If n is the number of living players, the number of votes required depends on n. If n is 10 or higher, the number of votes required is n-4. If there is 3 people left, 2 votes are required. 3 votes required if there are 4 or 5 people. If there are 6 people, 4 votes are the execution. 7 and 8 require 5 votes, and 9 requires 6

> If someone isn't participating, I will give them a warning. Two warnings in the same day mean the person will be replaced. If someone gets a single warning on both of the first days and missed at least one night, they will be replaced. Don't lay low!

> When you die, you have one 'ghost-post' in gray to make, but it CANNOT reveal any information or hint at anything or relate to the game, it must be entirely off-topic

> Nonsense posters will be warned and then punished :D Don't spam the thread

> Rules are rules, so don't complain. Also keep in mind that Mafia is a game of elimination, and dying is part of it

> The roles will be determined completely randomly, so don't bias

> There will be no hints or extra clues other than the information given

> Have fun :D

btw - twas my idea for longer days so pls let the blame lie where its belongs - still not in favour of rushing - other than trying a rapido mafioso game one saturday - 14:00 - 18:00 hrs GMT 20 players smashing posts at each other, hour one = night one hour two = day one.. etc, rules simplified and read on friday - have it run every first saturday of the month

that sounds like so much fun! pick me! pick me!!!

I think it is a good idea, extending days, as some days i wake up at 630 goto work get home at 1700, then off to training to about 2130 then home to dinner etc. thats almost 15 hours I am busy in a day. I dont really fell like mafiaing after that.. the longer days allows me to check in the morning for an hour or so.. (catch up with 100's of posts etc)

LIS, I think the turbo mafia game idea is brilliant. Might not be able to get 20 players, but I'm in favor of a smaller, faster mafia game with more active players. Quality over quantity.

I've thought about this before (fast-paced hourlong mafia games, no story elements, just descriptors of what happened) and the best way to structure, etc, unfortunately I couldn't participate since I can never really have a set block of time which I could for-sure be active enough on that time for a certain amount of time

I've thought about this before (fast-paced hourlong mafia games, no story elements, just descriptors of what happened) and the best way to structure, etc, unfortunately I couldn't participate since I can never really have a set block of time which I could for-sure be active enough on that time for a certain amount of time

You write all these awesome intros and day/night posts, put together these really clever scavenger hunts, but you don't have an hour of time to play mafia? :P

I think you misunderstood me (my sentence was kind of jarbled lol), I meant I couldn't have a set time. Ie, I couldn't say "okay, I'll be on at 4:00 my time til bla bla, bla bla". Know what I mean?

haha and thanks :lol:

Ah I see what you mean now. I'm kinda like that during the day... I'm usually around during downtime at work, so most of the time I'm on but I can't absolutely devote a specific block of 1-2 hours to playing because there's work things that come up that I'd need to stop and take care of.

Nights/weekends... totally different story though.