BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Beggar

unreality

Question

let me start if off with the Beggar I just came up with: (it's an expansion of the 5-day winner idea)

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 5 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

Edited by bonanova

• Answers 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

the QA & Pheonix/Sphinx/Mutant thing needs a rethink in the light of my "death-wish" for Mafia VI

It is too easy for the Pheonix/Sphinx/Mutant to role call and request that they be knocked off thus eliminating all the QAs the next day (with either a successful or more likely an unsuccessful outcome for the QAs)

Also although the mimic was an interesting character in m4f14 caused too many issues explaining all the rules a number of times to experienced players as well as noobs.

just thinking of a role

*double agent* this person has access to BMB... and can talk to the other baddies... but he is really a innocent... if the mafia are sure of the DA's iddentaty a majority vote is made to immediately dispatch the DA...

Uhhh...that would not work at all. The names of all of the mafia are listed on BMB, so the double agent would know the entire mafia instantly.

I've analyzed the Mimic role in M4F14, and as me and Frost (and probably others) warned, it was a failure, IMO. The Mimic cannot possibly win unless an extremely lucky event occurs for each kill. AND they have to kill the right person the next night too!

* Mafia - impossible unless it's X of Mafia, 1 M4F14, X other independents, and exactly 1 Innocent, which the Mimic must know the identity of. Basically the Mimic can't live long enough anyway or get lucky enough to carry out the one chance they would have to win with the Mafia, and then they have to kill a Mafioso the night before too and hope the Innocent is still alive the next night. Basically, the Mimic winning with the Mafia's objective is impossible

* GR - if the Mimic kills the GR, they cannot possibly kill both the Defender and Ninja in the same night. Therefore, if they end up killing the GR, they better hope that the Defender is already dead but the Ninja is alive. What are the chances? What are the chances of happening to kill the GR at the perfect moment and then have the Def dead but Ninja live until the Mimic can kill them?

* QA - the Mimic would have to kill the Phoenix after killing a QA - one of the only possible ways to win, but this still is hard enough as it is to know a QA and know a Phoenix... and in M4F14 there was a "Phoenix protector" role which protected the Phoenix against QAs only, which Ysan ruled as also applying to the Mimic if the Mimic killed a QA and "mimicked them". This was a good call by Ysan, as it follows the Mimic's rules IMO, however the Mimic's rules are already skewed enough - it just turns the QA situation into the GR situation, except with Phoenix-Protector and Phoenix instead of Defender and Ninja

* Furthermore - saving roles, lynchings the next day, other factions killing, etc - all of these lower the Mimic's chances of success to a much lower value

* Conclusion - the Mimic is based on scant chances (we're talking 1% chances here, or lower :P) and seems to be impossible unless you get extremely lucky and certain events happen in certain orders, ie, the Mimic's success is out of their own hands. The best they can do is try to learn roles and plan a strike, but they have no way of gathering information, and it's tough enough to discern roles and try to help the unluckiness of the role. I know this is your baby Ysan, but it needs work :D No offense or anything, I really like the general concept, but tweaking is required

This isn't meant to be demeaning toward Ysan, LIS, or their M4F14 game, which I'm sure is a great game, but it's a specific analysis of the Mimic role, which is a great concept IMO (see the last sentence of the 'Conclusion' bullet point ;D) but needs work

~ from unreality :P

Uhhh...that would not work at all. The names of all of the mafia are listed on BMB, so the double agent would know the entire mafia instantly.

good point... and just saying... the inspector role is WAY to powerful... it gets automatically gets a identity everyday... where as the spy only tries to guess who is a baddie and can check once... i think the inspector should be pulled out if it isn't already.

I didn't think it was a failure. I agree that it needs some tweaking, but it was a good learning experience to figure out the problems with it. (We had similar issues with the Janitor role).

The mimic itself doesn't get to gather information, but it can kill an information gathering role, and then use that ability like I did in M4F14. Though the chances of pulling that off were... well... that shouldn't have happened :P

Again, I don't think it was a total failure, but I agree that it could use a little tweaking. The role had it's own list of setbacks to make achieving a goal hard enough, so I don't think it should take on the setbacks of the role that it mimics. I dunno

Yeah, Bb did a great job, but I had a different strategy in mind for the Mimic. I thought it should try to go for innocents, particularly healing/information roles until one of the conditions that would allow it to reach a win condition occurred, i.e. the BioEngineer died, or Zero died, then try going for Zero or a QA...I saw the Mimic role as one that was about long-term strategy as opposed to trying to win in the first few days...In that way, I saw the Mimic as passing itself off as an innocent and trying to "help" figure out the baddies so that it could kill them itself and fulfill its win condition.

Anyways, hehe, there will be changes...;P

Yeah, Bb did a great job, but I had a different strategy in mind for the Mimic. I thought it should try to go for innocents, particularly healing/information roles until one of the conditions that would allow it to reach a win condition occurred, i.e. the BioEngineer died, or Zero died, then try going for Zero or a QA...I saw the Mimic role as one that was about long-term strategy as opposed to trying to win in the first few days...In that way, I saw the Mimic as passing itself off as an innocent and trying to "help" figure out the baddies so that it could kill them itself and fulfill its win condition.

and that's why you choose Bb. Because you believe he can think that deep right. :D

Yeah, that was one of the first things I considered. But with the downfall of only being able to kill every-other night... but the chances of nailing a beneficial innocent role like the spy was 1/19. Then my chances of figuring out someone the next night would be something like 1/17. Then killing the role protecting them would be about 1/14. Then wasting a night b/c I killed a saving role. Then nailing the baddie role to take out the objective would be 1/11. THEN I would be able to possibly fulfill an objective on the 6th night. Assuming that the roles I was after were still alive, and that no saving role was covering them.

So I figure the odds were somewhere around 1:50,000 for me to win that way (that number seems a little steep, but that's what I came up with). So my only real (less slim) chance was to start killing baddies right from the beginning.

Edited by Brandonb

Yeah, that was one of the first things I considered. But with the downfall of only being able to kill every-other night... but the chances of nailing a beneficial innocent role like the spy was 1/19. Then my chances of figuring out someone the next night would be something like 1/17. Then killing the role protecting them would be about 1/14. Then wasting a night b/c I killed a saving role. Then nailing the baddie role to take out the objective would be 1/11. THEN I would be able to possibly fulfill an objective on the 6th night. Assuming that the roles I was after were still alive, and that no saving role was covering them.

So I figure the odds were somewhere around 1:50,000 for me to win that way (that number seems a little steep, but that's what I came up with). So my only real (less slim) chance was to start killing baddies right from the beginning.

We agree to disagree...but if you'd killed SoKrisky instead of Phaze you would have won...:P

;P

And speaking of which...can any of you veterans out there tell me how to make my own clever little title? :D

Click "My Messages" at the top right

Then on the left side, scroll down to the heading "Personal Profile" and click "Edit Profile Information"

Then just fill in the field "Custom member title" and you're done!

Click "My Messages" at the top right

Then on the left side, scroll down to the heading "Personal Profile" and click "Edit Profile Information"

Then just fill in the field "Custom member title" and you're done!

Hehe...thanks! I chose the phrase from Bleach that I think truly demonstrates Yoruichi's kick-assedness ;P

update to Bankroller

* Bankroller - controls the Mafia's finances as well as its legitimate businesses. Everyone knows who the Bankroller is from the getgo, and thus the Bankroller is sort of the spokesperson for the Mafia, but if the Bankroller is lynched, he/she can pick anyone to kill in the lynching if the Hitman is still alive. If the Vigilante attacks the Bankroller, there is a 3/8 chance they accidentally go after the Hitman instead, if the Hitman is still alive

remember that Vigilante attacking the Hitman results in a 50-50 on who dies and who lives ;D

right now I'm working on:

Manchoodle Manor Murder Mystery Mafia!

well thats a mouthfull...

i think im going to host a cruise type mafia(not based of sinistrals... but based off my picture of waves...)

my thoughts are

15 people

(4)mafia=people who are getting transfered to another prisoners but escaped and are hidding in the ship(im thinking mabey escapees or stowaways)

(2)QA=terrorist, trying to hijack the ship by killing the captain

GR=Unknown

Innocents/guests:

(2)doctor

Police man= was originally the one to transfer the mafia

mayor=captain

spy=minor thief(breaks into peoples staterooms and finds out there iddentitys... however only does it for the thrill and dosn't tak anything

TC= registry worker(can remove people from the vote when they see a problem with a guests information)

janitor=cleaner

ninja= S.W.A.T agent(was called to get on the ship after the prisoners escaped

Defender=unknown

so thats my plan... im still thinking of adding more...

Edited by Mekal

what I've got so far:

Manchoodle Manor Murder Mystery Mafia!

Mr. Manchoodle was found dead in his extensive mansion! The party guests and manor residents have gathered in the Great Hall to bring justice to the murderers amongst them! The powerlines are down, and the power is sporadically going out and coming back on... the people decide who to arrest while the lights are on (Light Phase), and when the lights go out (Dark Phase), the Murderers use the cloak of darkness to make their kill

Factions:

* Murderers (5) - the Murderers are a small Manchoodle-hating conspiracy group that have finally succeeded in their goal... unfortunately, everyone is locked in the Great Hall, so the Murderers must continue to murder! They kill one person until nobody except themselves is alive, and then they can escape!

* Guests (5) - these are the elite of Mr. Manchoodle's party guests, from a variety of skillful professions across the world. The Guests win if all of the Murderers die

* Manor Residents (5) - these are the personal servants of Mr. Manchoodle, ready to avenge. They are sided with the Guests

* Secret Agent (1) - the Secret Agent was infiltrating the party to pick up data on one of the Guests, who may not be who he/she appears to be. The Secret Agent can incapacitate one person each Dark Phase, and rifle through their things, to find out if they are a Guest or not. The person wakes up a few moments later without remembering what happened to them. The Secret Agent can make two kills in the game, at any time during any Dark Phase, and wins if he/she kills the specific Guest in question

GUESTS:

* Surgeon - this person is a world-famous doctor, who (at each power outage), picks one person to stick close to. If that person is attacked by the Murderers, the Surgeon can save their life. The Surgeon cannot save against the Secret Agent's skillful instant-kills, but if they pick the SA's incapacitation victim, they can help the victim regain their memory and both the Surgeon and the victim learn that the person was incapacitated by the SA

* Sleuth - a wannabe Sherlock Holmes. The Sleuth takes advantage of the Dark Phases to follow up on his/her suspicions and figure out someone's role. They PM the person to me, and I PM the exact role in return

* Actor/Actress - the Actor (will refer as 'he') is a famous stage or movie actor, and thus of course a VIP guest. [Not sure on ability]

* ?

* ?

MANOR RESIDENTS:

* Ex-Bodyguard - the EB used to be Mr. Manchoodle's bodyguard, and is now on a revenge spree to kill off his/her charge's killers (like 'Man on Fire' ;D). The EB kills one person each night, though can decide not to kill on any night (for example, they should decline on the first night)

* Butler - the Butler was the personal servant of Manchoodle before his/her master's death, and now is putting his/her abilities to use. They recognize Manchoodle's previous Guests and Manor Residents, and thus can detect their presence at the Great Hall. Each Light Phase, the Butler may learn the identity behind any Guest or Manor Resident role (ie, "I want to know who the Sleuth is") by mingling with the guests

* Gardener - works as the gardener, groundsmaster and landscaper for Manchoodle Manor. The Gardener has a green thumb, and knows the right plants for every need. The Gardener can make a variety of herbal concoctions and use them over the course of the game. [Will flesh this out later]

* ?

* ?

(game still in the works)

that sounds just like previous Mafia games, rehashed.... QAs are a bad choice. Same with Mayor :D just my opinion though

ya... it pretty much is... im not really creative enough to add things :P

okay... ill go ahead and just get rid of the QA and add 1 mafia, and i forgot to add the illusionist... though i am not sure about the mayor... also the defender is now the mission handler.

okay... here are my rules...

Cruise ship mafia

The Baddies:

The Prisoners:

The Framer: Gets the ability that of the person killed the night before.

The Threatener: Can send a message every night which will be posted in the night post. When the Tetrabot is killed, his role is revealed.

The Techie: Stole a computer and hacked onto the cruise registry. Any night, but not 2 in a row, can see the faction (Innocent/Terrorist) of a player.

The Hitman - Kills anyone that visits him/her at night

Terrorist: kills on even nights. Once The S.W.A.T dies, he is out of the game. Invincible for the first night and day. Goal is to kill the SA

The Innocents:

(2)The Nurses: Picks a target to save each night. Cannot pick the same target to save twice in a row. Can save self only once.

Stage Magician: A magician who passes as an entertainer. can make an illusion to save someone each night from the GR only.

Misson Handler: The person who helps the SA keep updated. As long as the MH is alive, The SA cannot be killed at night.

S.W.A.T (SA): A Expert in his field who kills for the Innocents. He kills on prime nights.

The Uber-Hacker: A minor Thief who breaks into staterooms for fun. PMs me the name of a player each day and I PM their role.

Room Cleaner: After years of Cleaning rooms and seeing the ongoings of the cruise. The cleaner picks a player and then I tell them what the action is(cleaning, killing, saving or previous choice) to which they can either decline or carry out the action.

Registry Worker: The RW PMs me the name of a person and that person is removed from voting for the day

The Prison Guard: arrests a person for one night (must PM me the player's name before the day post). The Person is stuck and can only 5 messages while in jail.(or else they get gangbeat and stay in the hospital for anther day)

Edited by Mekal

The games are great - i think they get too intense and ppl are becoming addictive, I love reading them and the stories too, though the speed mafia was fine - I was going to host a turbo 6 hr one with standard rules to avoid learning curves and rereading - it's the only fault of the new games, you need some other way of playing with the same ppl so the characters shld change and the settings too, new names and rules make it hard for players to adapt.. the Itachi-san ABR game is probably the best so far, though a few wrinkles are being ironed out in the game

anyway - someone else may want to give the turbo one a go, no time for elaborate posts - i wld play the game in order of PMs, so that adds a virtue reality to it

it may work on the basis, that it is more intense, but it is not lasting days

play on saturday GMT between 14:00 and 20:00

play characters and rules from Mafia II ...??

add clarity to the first page with rules and guidance

host and players need to adapt to the flow/tempo

that is worth a try - the other games may be lasting to long. showing way too much tension.

role up for grabs in the first ABR, it's a superb game

I've made a lot of changes to the Tourist role, completely scrapping its previous ability and making a new one, based off of the Noob from my BD-themed Mafia and added a switching ability:

* Tourist - here for the getaway and nice views when the troubles began, and just wants to get back home. Unfortunately, they're stranded here and must help the Townsfolk. At any time the Tourist may PM me and take on a Townsfolk role, one that he/she KNOWS is dead - not just a guess. They have to prove it in the PM, unless the Townsfolk person was lynched and their role revealed, which is all the proof you need. If the Tourist is checked by any discovery role, or is lynched, the only info given is always "Tourist", not whether the Tourist has taken on any role or what that role is. Also, the Tourist has another power which he/she can use ONCE EVER, at any time during the day, and the change takes affect right after the day post: a Switch. The Tourist can pick two living people and ONLY if they are both Townsfolk, the two people get their roles switched. Otherwise it fails. Nobody, including the Tourist, is informed if the switch fails. If the switch succeeds, the Tourist isn't informed, and each switchee just gets told their new role, not who has their previous role

alright, after a few more changes to wording and some stuff, here is the most recent, most up-to-date, plan for Mafia VII:

Mafia VII

Takes place in a remote mountain village...

Factions:

* Independent (3)

* Mafia (5)

* Townsfolk (10)

Independent:

* Alpha Werewolf - [knows who Slayer is] bites one person each night to "infect" them with lycanthropy. The new Werewolf can almost always still use their Townsfolk role ability, but is now sided with the Alpha Werewolf, and all Werewolves have BTSC. The Alpha Werewolf can only bite and infect Townsfolk, so if he/she picks a non-Townsfolk role (Mafia, Cypher, Mercenary), he/she is informed and can attempt to bite someone else (all the AW is told is that the person is not a Townsfolk). If the Alpha Werewolf is lynched, all living Werewolves die too, but if the Alpha Werewolf dies at night, a new Werewolf is picked randomly to become the Alpha Werewolf. The Werewolves win when 4 or more Werewolves are alive, including the Alpha Werewolf

* Cypher - [knows who CA is] the Cypher is a serial killer who leaves a mathematical code to his/her next victim. The Cypher chooses his/her kill each night for the following night, so on the first night there is no kill, but there is still a code for the 2nd night victim. And on the 2nd night, the Cypher picks the victim for the 3rd night, etc. The code is uniform throughout. The Cypher is invincible to werewolf bites as well as normal death, the only way they can die (at first) is being caught by the Cryptanylist. The Cryptanylist, or CA, is a Townsfolk-sided code-breaker who picks one person each night (except the 1st) whom they think is the Cypher's victim for that night. If the CA is correct, the Cypher is caught and killed. If the CA dies, the Cypher becomes vulnerable to normal death, but still cannot be bitten by the Alpha Werewolf. The Cypher wins if he/she is still alive and killing when another faction wins, ie, they win together

* Mercenary - the Mercenary has been hired to take out a specific person with a lynching. The person, or 'target', is random from the list of all Townsfolk roles. The Mercenary knows the role of the target, and also knows when his/her target has been bitten, if at all. If the Mercenary's target is killed by the Mafia, the Mercenary joins the Mafia, and if the Mercenary's target is killed by the Vigilante, Slayer, or Firework Maker, the Mercenary joins the Townsfolk... ie, the Mercenary can be "bought" by killing their target for them. If the Cypher kills the target, the Mercenary can choose to work for the Mafia OR the Townsfolk OR to be assigned a new lynch target

Mafia:

* Don - the leader of the Mafia group. If checked by the Spy, is seen as a random non-Werewolf Townsfolk role from the 9 non-Spy roles

* Consigliere - the personal adviser to the Don. Picks one person each night and collects data on them via contacts, learning their role (including if they are a Werewolf or not). If the Don dies, the Consigliere takes over as head of the Mafia, having both the Don's ability and the Consigliere's original ability

* Hitman - one of the most skilled hitmen in the Mafia's arsenal. Kills anyone that visits him/her at night (Spy, Medic, Herbalist, Slayer, Mountaineer, but NOT CA or Tourist) or, in the case of the Vigilante, there is a 50-50 chance who wins the fight (Hitman or Vigilante). If Cypher visits the Hitman while the CA is still alive (and the Cypher is thus invincible), the Hitman is killed. However, if the CA is dead and the Cypher goes after the Hitman, the Hitman kills the Cypher

* Bankroller - controls the Mafia's finances as well as its legitimate businesses. Everyone knows who the Bankroller is from the getgo, and thus the Bankroller is sort of the spokesperson for the Mafia, but if the Bankroller is lynched, he/she can pick anyone to kill in the lynching if the Hitman is still alive. If the Vigilante attacks the Bankroller, there is a 3/8 chance they accidentally go after the Hitman instead, if the Hitman is still alive

* Framer - can frame someone each day. If the Spy picks that person the following night (or picks the Framer), the Spy is told 'Framer'. Nobody is informed if/when a framing takes place or who was framed

Townsfolk:

* Spy - spies on one person each night and gets their exact role (except in the special case of the Don), including Werewolf role if they've been bitten

* Medic - an unofficial doctor who prowls around the village at night. The Medic can save two people each night (from death only, not from werewolf bites), with no restrictions on who EXCEPT for the fact that the Spy is too elusive to protect while snooping someone. If the Spy decides not to spy on someone, they are savable by the Medic

* Herbalist - can cure lyncanthropy, but only if done within minutes of the bite, and thus each night the Herbalist can pick one person to save from the Alpha Werewolf's bite

* Slayer - picks one person each night except the first night. If the person is a Werewolf, they are slain. The Slayer cannot be bitten by the Alpha Werewolf

* Vigilante - kills one person each night except the first night

* Firework Maker - lives in a house full of explosives and gunpowder. If a killing role or Alpha Werewolf visit, they see the explosive house and are PMed by me. After that, they may retreat OR keep going, but if they persist, there is a 1/2 chance of the attacker being blown up with the Firework Maker. If the attacker was the Mafia, the Hitman will be killed. If Hitman is already dead, a random living Mafioso is picked instead. If there is no explosion, the Firework Maker is killed or bitten as normal, but if there is an explosion (1/2 chance), there is a 1/3 chance the Firework Maker will survive. During the day, at any time, and every day, the Firework Maker picks someone. If that person is the Framer, the Framer's frame is not successful, and both the Spy and the Mafia are notified of this (but not the Firework Maker). The Firework Maker can pick the same person two days in a row if he/she wishes

* Mayor - the acting Mayor of the small village has a few privileges. First, his/her vote secretly counts as 2, and secondly, if the Mayor is lynched, his/her role is revealed but he/she does not die

* Tourist - here for the getaway and nice views when the troubles began, and just wants to get back home. Unfortunately, they're stranded here and must help the Townsfolk. At any time the Tourist may PM me and take on a Townsfolk role, one that he/she KNOWS is dead - not just a guess. They have to prove it in the PM, unless the Townsfolk person was lynched and their role revealed, which is all the proof you need. If the Tourist is checked by any discovery role, or is lynched, the only info given is always "Tourist", not whether the Tourist has taken on any role or what that role is. Also, the Tourist has another power which he/she can use ONCE EVER, at any time during the day, and the change takes affect right after the day post: a Switch. The Tourist can pick two living people and ONLY if they are both Townsfolk, the two people get their roles switched. Otherwise it fails. Nobody, including the Tourist, is informed if the switch fails. If the switch succeeds, the Tourist isn't informed, and each switchee just gets told their new role, not who has their previous role

* Mountaineer - [knows who Medic is] the Mountaineer likes to go on late-night hiking trips, and can pick one person to take with him/her. The picked person is immune from being killed or bitten, but they cannot perform any night action. The Spy can still spy on them, and if both the Mountaineer and the Spy pick the Don on the same night, the Don's true identity is revealed to the Spy. If the Mountaineer picked the last Mafioso, there is no Mafia kill. If the Mountaineer picked the Alpha Werewolf, the Alpha Werewolf bites the Mountaineer as its bite for that night. Once the Mountaineer has taken someone on a climb, they cannot do it with that same person again

* Cryptanylist - the Cryptanylist, or CA, is an expert code-breaker whose goal is to crack the Cypher's code and figure out the serial killer's next victim. Each night, except the first, the CA picks someone who they think will be the Cypher's victim. The CA must give me some logical reasoning to prove it's not just a random guess, and if they are correct, the Cypher is caught and killed. The Cryptanylist can choose themselves

There are names for when a Townsfolk gets bitten and turns into a Werewolf:

* the Spy becomes the Prowler [can still use Spy ability]

* the Medic becomes the Guard Dog [can still use Medic's ability]

* the Herbalist becomes the Stray [new ability: votes count secretly x2]

* the Vigilante becomes the Rabid Attacker [can still kill]

* the Firework Maker becomes the Firework Wolf [keeps abilities]

* the Mayor becomes the Prime [keeps abilities]

* the Tourist becomes the Retriever [only keeps Mercenary-check ability]

* the Mountaineer becomes the Kidnapper [keeps ability]

* the Cryptanylist becomes the Bloodhound [keeps ability]

* Game Rules *

> Nights are a MAXIMUM of 18 hours, though if I get all the PMs, the night post may come earlier, it could also come later depending on my schedule (in which case I would allow late night-PMs, but don't gamble on it)

> Days end when a certain person gets a certain amount of votes. This is acknowledged by all and no more voting can take place after this, and you cannot change your vote. If n is the number of living players, the number of votes required depends on n. If n is 10 or higher, the number of votes required is n-4. If there is 3 people left, 2 votes are required. 4 or 5 people: 3 votes required. If there are 6 people, 4 votes are the execution. 7 and 8 require 5 votes, and 9 requires 6. After that it's n-4

> If someone isn't participating, I will give them a warning. I reserve the right to give out warnings at any time. The third warning means you will be bumped for inactivity, and hopefully somebody can replace you. If not, sayonara ;D

> When you die, you have one 'ghost-post' in gray to make, but it CANNOT reveal any information or hint at anything or relate to the game, it must be entirely off-topic

> Nonsense posters will be warned and then punished :D Don't spam the thread

> Rules are rules, so don't complain. Also keep in mind that Mafia is a game of elimination, and dying is part of it

> The roles will be determined completely randomly, so don't bias

> There will be no hints or extra clues other than the information given

> Have fun :D