BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Beggar

unreality

Question

let me start if off with the Beggar I just came up with: (it's an expansion of the 5-day winner idea)

* Beggar - gets 1 gold Phoenix Crown every day. When the Beggar has 5 Phoenix Crowns, he has enough money to pack up and move to the tropics (ie, he wins). However, the Beggar can exchange a Phoenix Crown for 5 role identities, which he can use to his advantage in lynchings and stuff to try to prolong the game. The Beggar can also exchange a Phoenix Crown to kill that night

Edited by bonanova

• Answers 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sinistral: I like your game

Ysan: still unsure on this one. In any future games, I was planning on removing the QAs and making the Mafia bigger (and since Yakuza lost Mafia VI and their goal was revealed anyway, removing them too), making it Mafia vs Innocents with the opportunity of other independent characters to play (GR maybe, Alpha Werewolf, Beggar). Anyway, I hope your game works out well, though (1) who said the Medics were humans :P and (2) seriously think about making it so that 2 ppl are being saved per night either by one saving role or two separate ones. It's your game, but I think that only one (maybe two) successful saves over 6 consecutive Mafia games should tell you something ;D

btw I might fashion up some M VII rules, working on them for a very long time to make them awesome and then playing it when I return to BD ;D

Exactly. I'm trying to discourage the whole coming out with your role thing...I want ppl to think more for themselves and rely on discovery roles less...getting rid of the Inspector and giving the Spy equivalent an ID swap ability...

Oh, and I'm the the host, I can do whatever I want :P...the last rule has now become: Don't challenge the host AIs...they control your oxygen supply :P

Y-san,

I have to say that I agree with you. I know I came out with my role this last game. I think its more fun when you cant.

What happens if these two meet at night?

Can the pirates knock off Jack?

Good question. My explanation was unclear. Jack would end up killing the wench if she tried to pay him a visit. The wench overrides all night actions but does not remove passive abilities. The idea behind the wench is to occupy the doctor so the doctor doesn't heal that night, or the Navy officer so he doesn't investigate, etc. It would make an interesting night post though. :P

If the pirates wanted to kill Jack they'd have to either plank him or poison him.

Sinistral: I like your game

Ysan: still unsure on this one. In any future games, I was planning on removing the QAs and making the Mafia bigger (and since Yakuza lost Mafia VI and their goal was revealed anyway, removing them too), making it Mafia vs Innocents with the opportunity of other independent characters to play (GR maybe, Alpha Werewolf, Beggar). Anyway, I hope your game works out well, though (1) who said the Medics were humans :P and (2) seriously think about making it so that 2 ppl are being saved per night either by one saving role or two separate ones. It's your game, but I think that only one (maybe two) successful saves over 6 consecutive Mafia games should tell you something ;D

btw I might fashion up some M VII rules, working on them for a very long time to make them awesome and then playing it when I return to BD ;D

Just to comment...it was kinda fun back in the day when it was just mafia and innocents...even though now with such a broad expansion of players, other roles are a necessary evil...

Just to comment...it was kinda fun back in the day when it was just mafia and innocents...even though now with such a broad expansion of players, other roles are a necessary evil...

Yeah, those were good times... B))

yes, I know I said I was leaving, but I couldn't resist working on the rules for the next game

Mafia VII

Takes place in a remote village...

Factions:

* Independent (3)

* Mafia (5)

* Townsfolk (10)

Independent:

* Alpha Werewolf - [knows who Slayer is] bites one person each night to "infect" them with lycanthropy. The new Werewolf can still use their usual role ability, but is now sided with the Alpha Werewolf, and all Werewolves have BTSC. If the Alpha Werewolf is lynched, all living Werewolves join the Mafia, but if the Alpha Werewolf dies at night, a new Werewolf is picked to become the Alpha Werewolf. The Werewolves win when 4 or more Werewolves are alive

* ?

* ?

Mafia:

* Don - the leader of the Mafia group. If checked by the Spy, is seen as a random Townsfolk role from the 9 non-Spy roles

* Consigliere - the personal adviser to the Don. Picks one person each night and collects data on them via contacts, learning their role. If the Don dies, the Consigliere takes over as head of the Mafia, having both the Don's ability and the Consigliere's original ability

* Hitman - one of the most skilled hitmen in the Mafia's arsenal. Kills anyone that visits him/her at night (Alpha Werewolf, Spy, Medic, Herbalist, Slayer) or, in the case of the Vigilante, there is a 50-50 chance who wins the fight (Hitman or Vigilante)

* Bankroller - controls the Mafia's finances as well as its legitimate businesses. Everyone knows who the Bankroller is from the getgo, and thus the Bankroller is sort of the spokesperson for the Mafia, but if the Bankroller is lynched, he/she can pick anyone to kill in the lynching if the Hitman is still alive

* Framer - can frame someone each day. If the Spy picks that person the following night, the Spy is told 'Framer'. Nobody is informed if/when a framing takes place or who was framed

Townsfolk:

* Spy - spies on one person each night and gets their exact role (except in the special case of the Don)

* Medic - an unofficial doctor who prowls around the village at night. The Medic can save two people each night, with no restrictions on who EXCEPT for the fact that the Spy is too elusive to protect while snooping someone. If the Spy decides not to spy on someone, they are savable by the Medic

* Herbalist - can cure lyncanthropy, but only if done within minutes of the bite, and thus each night the Herbalist can pick one person to save from the Alpha Werewolf's bite

* Slayer - picks one person each night except the first night. If the person is a Werewolf, they are slain. The Slayer cannot be bitten by the Alpha Werewolf

* Vigilante - kills one person each night except the first night

* Firework Maker - lives in a house full of explosives and gunpowder. If the Mafia or Alpha Werewolf visits, they see it and may retreat, OR keep going, but with a 1/2 chance of the person (either Alpha Werewolf or Hitman) being blown up. If Hitman is already dead, a random living Mafioso is picked instead. If there is no explosion, the Firework Maker is killed or bitten as normal, but if there is an explosion (1/2 chance), there is a 2/3 chance the Firework Maker will die in it. During the day, the Firework Maker picks someone. If that person is the Framer, the Framer's frame is not successful, and both the Spy and the Mafia are notified (but not the Firework Maker)

* Mayor - the acting Mayor of the small village has a few privileges. First, his/her vote secretly counts as 2, and secondly, if the Mayor is lynched, his/her role is revealed but he/she does not die

* Tourist - the only person with a laptop or internet connection in this mountain village. The Tourist was just here for the getaway and nice views when the troubles began, and just wants to get back home. Unfortunately, they're stranded here and must help the Townsfolk. [Ability Unknown except to the Tourist]

* Mountaineer - the Mountaineer likes to go on late-night hiking trips, and can pick one person to take with him/her. The picked person is immune from being killed or bitten, but they cannot perform any night action. The Spy can still spy on them, and if the chosen person is the Don, the Don's true identity is revealed to the Spy. If the Mountaineer picked the last Mafioso, there is no Mafia kill. If they picked the Alpha Werewolf, the Alpha Werewolf bites the Mountaineer as the bite for that night. Once the Mountaineer has taken someone on a climb, they cannot do it again

* ?

that's what I have so far. You can comment but I'm pretty confident in what I've got so far :P Any suggestion for other independent characters or the last Townsfolk role? I was thinking "Contact" as an SV sorta, but then decided against putting an SV-like role in

Ok, it might be the fact that I'm extremely tired, but how about there's a crazy cat person, and they can send a cat to anyone, and the cat scares away werewolves? *lol* Ok, sounds kinda lame when I write it down.

~Kat

yes, I know I said I was leaving, but I couldn't resist working on the rules for the next game

Mafia VII

Factions:

* Independent (3)

* Mafia (5)

* Townsfolk (10)

Independent:

* Alpha Werewolf - [knows who Slayer is] bites one person each night to "infect" them with lycanthropy. The new Werewolf can still use their usual role ability, but is now sided with the Alpha Werewolf, and all Werewolves have BTSC. If the Alpha Werewolf is lynched, all living Werewolves join the Mafia, but if the Alpha Werewolf dies at night, a new Werewolf is picked to become the Alpha Werewolf. The Werewolves win when 4 or more Werewolves are alive

* ?

* ?

Dang, very different from previous games.

This sounds incredibly in favor of the mafia. Five is a lot, especially considering the fact that more could be added upon the death of the Alpha Werewolf. That could end up with a large mafia.

Also, didn't we once think of a role similar to the mountaineer? They would end up knowing who they took based off of the action not performed in the night.

Edited by Frost

I changed it so that if the Alpha Werewolf is lynched, the other Werewolves die with him/her. And I added "Werewolf versions" of the Townsfolk roles

oh and it's not in favor of the Mafia- remember, the Mafia must kill everyone except themselves. It was near impossible in Mafia V and Mafia VI with only 3 Mafiosos and 18 people to kill! This is more balanced with a good ratio of Mafia to Townsfolk (1:2) with some Independents thrown in

as for the Mountaineer, yes that's a possibility...so? The main function is not to spy on someone, it's to both protect them and cancel them (trade-off, different from previous ones I think). And with the less info I give out in night posts just like in recent games (for example, only show Medic if they make a save, etc), it won't be as much info. The Mountaineer doesn't even know if he/she got a Mafioso unless it was the last Mafioso. It's less information than you would think- and they can never hike with the same person ever again, so it's not like they can collect lots of data on any one person

revised rules:

Mafia VII

Factions:

* Independent (3)

* Mafia (5)

* Townsfolk (10)

Independent:

* Alpha Werewolf - [knows who Slayer is] bites one person each night to "infect" them with lycanthropy. The new Werewolf can still use their usual role ability, but is now sided with the Alpha Werewolf, and all Werewolves have BTSC. If the Alpha Werewolf tries to bite a Mafioso, he/she is informed and can pick a different target. If the Alpha Werewolf is lynched, all living Werewolves die too, but if the Alpha Werewolf dies at night, a new Werewolf is picked to become the Alpha Werewolf. The Werewolves win when 4 or more Werewolves are alive

* ?

* ?

Mafia:

* Don - the leader of the Mafia group. If checked by the Spy, is seen as a random Townsfolk role from the 9 non-Spy roles

* Consigliere - the personal adviser to the Don. Picks one person each night and collects data on them via contacts, learning their role. If the Don dies, the Consigliere takes over as head of the Mafia, having both the Don's ability and the Consigliere's original ability

* Hitman - one of the most skilled hitmen in the Mafia's arsenal. Kills anyone that visits him/her at night (Alpha Werewolf, Spy, Medic, Herbalist, Slayer) or, in the case of the Vigilante, there is a 50-50 chance who wins the fight (Hitman or Vigilante)

* Bankroller - controls the Mafia's finances as well as its legitimate businesses. Everyone knows who the Bankroller is from the getgo, and thus the Bankroller is sort of the spokesperson for the Mafia, but if the Bankroller is lynched, he/she can pick anyone to kill in the lynching if the Hitman is still alive

* Framer - can frame someone each day. If the Spy picks that person the following night, the Spy is told 'Framer'. Nobody is informed if/when a framing takes place or who was framed

Townsfolk:

* Spy - spies on one person each night and gets their exact role (except in the special case of the Don)

* Medic - an unofficial doctor who prowls around the village at night. The Medic can save two people each night, with no restrictions on who EXCEPT for the fact that the Spy is too elusive to protect while snooping someone. If the Spy decides not to spy on someone, they are savable by the Medic

* Herbalist - can cure lyncanthropy, but only if done within minutes of the bite, and thus each night the Herbalist can pick one person to save from the Alpha Werewolf's bite

* Slayer - picks one person each night except the first night. If the person is a Werewolf, they are slain. The Slayer cannot be bitten by the Alpha Werewolf

* Firework Maker - lives in a house full of explosives and gunpowder. If the Mafia or Alpha Werewolf visits, they see it and may retreat, OR keep going, but with a 1/2 chance of the person (either Alpha Werewolf or Hitman) being blown up. If Hitman is already dead, a random living Mafioso is picked instead. If there is no explosion, the Firework Maker is killed or bitten as normal, but if there is an explosion (1/2 chance), there is a 2/3 chance the Firework Maker will die in it. During the day, the Firework Maker picks someone. If that person is the Framer, the Framer's frame is not successful, and both the Spy and the Mafia are notified (but not the Firework Maker)

* Mayor - the acting Mayor of the small village has a few privileges. First, his/her vote secretly counts as 2, and secondly, if the Mayor is lynched, his/her role is revealed but he/she does not die

* Tourist - the only person with a laptop or internet connection in this mountain village. The Tourist was just here for the getaway and nice views when the troubles began, and just wants to get back home. Unfortunately, they're stranded here and must help the Townsfolk. [Ability Unknown except to the Tourist]

* Mountaineer - the Mountaineer likes to go on late-night hiking trips, and can pick one person to take with him/her. The picked person is immune from being killed or bitten, but they cannot perform any night action. The Spy can still spy on them, and if the chosen person is the Don, the Don's true identity is revealed to the Spy. If the Mountaineer picked the last Mafioso, there is no Mafia kill. If they picked the Alpha Werewolf, the Alpha Werewolf bites the Mountaineer as the bite for that night. Once the Mountaineer has taken someone on a climb, they cannot do it again

* ?

There are names for when a Townsfolk gets bitten and turns into a Werewolf:

* the Spy becomes the Prowler [can still use Spy ability]

* the Medic becomes the Guard Dog [can still use Medic's ability]

* the Herbalist becomes the Stray [new ability: votes count secretly x2]

* the Vigilante becomes the Rabid Attacker [can still kill]

* the Firework Maker becomes the Firework Wolf [keeps abilities]

* the Mayor becomes the Prime [keeps abilities]

* the Tourist becomes the Snarler [probably keeps abilities, not sure]

* the Mountaineer becomes the Kidnapper [keeps ability]

* ?

Should the Spy/Consigliere be able to see whether the person is a werewolf or not? For example, if the Spy spies on the Medic, and the Medic was bitten the night before, does the Spy (or Consigliere) see "Medic" or "Guard Dog"? I'm thinking it should be Guard Dog, since the Spy's power is a bit reduced from normal anyway. And thus same for Consigliere.

Oh and if the person they spy on is bitten that same night, it depends when the Alpha Werewolf PMs in the bite and when the Spy/Consiglere PM in their spies

Should the Spy/Consigliere be able to see whether the person is a werewolf or not? For example, if the Spy spies on the Medic, and the Medic was bitten the night before, does the Spy (or Consigliere) see "Medic" or "Guard Dog"? I'm thinking it should be Guard Dog, since the Spy's power is a bit reduced from normal anyway. And thus same for Consigliere.

Oh and if the person they spy on is bitten that same night, it depends when the Alpha Werewolf PMs in the bite and when the Spy/Consiglere PM in their spies

Yeah, I think they probably should find out if they are a werewolf(especially since some have different abilities). Also, I'm assuming that the Alpha Werewolf doesn't count in the 4 werewolves needed to win?

no he/she counts. So the Alpha Werewolf plus at least three more. Which means they win by the third night if they go unchecked. But there are spyings, lynchings, mafia kills, and roles specifically for Werewolves: Herbalist and Slayer... so 4 total is a good number

also, I'm adjusting Medic so it cannot save against Alpha Werewolf bites, just to clarify

new rules:

Mafia VII

Factions:

* Independent (3)

* Mafia (5)

* Townsfolk (10)

Independent:

* Alpha Werewolf - [knows who Slayer is] bites one person each night to "infect" them with lycanthropy. The new Werewolf can still use their usual role ability, but is now sided with the Alpha Werewolf, and all Werewolves have BTSC. If the Alpha Werewolf tries to bite a Mafioso, he/she is informed and can pick a different target. If the Alpha Werewolf is lynched, all living Werewolves die too, but if the Alpha Werewolf dies at night, a new Werewolf is picked to become the Alpha Werewolf. The Werewolves win when 4 or more Werewolves are alive, including the Alpha Werewolf

* ?

* ?

Mafia:

* Don - the leader of the Mafia group. If checked by the Spy, is seen as a random non-Werewolf Townsfolk role from the 9 non-Spy roles

* Consigliere - the personal adviser to the Don. Picks one person each night and collects data on them via contacts, learning their role (including if they are a Werewolf or not). If the Don dies, the Consigliere takes over as head of the Mafia, having both the Don's ability and the Consigliere's original ability

Townsfolk:

* Spy - spies on one person each night and gets their exact role (except in the special case of the Don), including Werewolf role if they've been bitten

* Medic - an unofficial doctor who prowls around the village at night. The Medic can save two people each night (from death only, not from werewolf bites), with no restrictions on who EXCEPT for the fact that the Spy is too elusive to protect while snooping someone. If the Spy decides not to spy on someone, they are savable by the Medic

* ?

There are names for when a Townsfolk gets bitten and turns into a Werewolf:

* the Spy becomes the Prowler [can still use Spy ability]

* the Medic becomes the Guard Dog [can still use Medic's ability]

* the Herbalist becomes the Stray [new ability: votes count secretly x2]

* the Vigilante becomes the Rabid Attacker [can still kill]

* the Firework Maker becomes the Firework Wolf [keeps abilities]

* the Mayor becomes the Prime [keeps abilities]

* the Tourist becomes the Snarler [probably keeps abilities, not sure]

* the Mountaineer becomes the Kidnapper [keeps ability]

* ?

btw I'm thinking of something like 'the Puppeteer' for one of the Independent names, to plagiarize the name from one of Ysan's ideas, but the role will be completely different. Depends. Might add a Grim Reaper twist. Hmm... what do you think about a modified Beggar to be one of the indy roles? Not sure yet..

btw I'm thinking of something like 'the Puppeteer' for one of the Independent names, to plagiarize the name from one of Ysan's ideas, but the role will be completely different. Depends. Might add a Grim Reaper twist. Hmm... what do you think about a modified Beggar to be one of the indy roles? Not sure yet..

Yeah, maybe some sort of Beggar, but slightly different to fit the game. So there's not going to be a Grim Reaper in this game? That will be weird...

hmmm... you could have a oracle... who knows 5 roles that are randomly chosen... but the oracle can not come out with there role... and if they do they are removed from the game... so its more of a persuasion role.

or you could have a trapper, who sets traps around peoples houses and if a were wolf uses a night ability against that person(i.e if the doctor saves that person or if the mafia attack) they get trapped and the slayer is notified...the trapper and the slayer might have BTSC

These are just ideas...

Edited by Mekal

I like dawh's Serial Killer/Psychopath/Joker character from a while back that is PMed three random living names and chooses to kill one of them... though for M VII, I would change it to "Agent of Chaos" or AoC, whose primary goal is causing destruction and being unpredictable. Why unpredictable? Cuz instead of PMing the 3 names to the AoC like dawh's idea was, I would announce the 3 names in the day post for the following night (the first night would be private, I think, if the AoC kills on the first night at all), and thus the AoC must learn to be unpredictable or the targets get protected or killed by another faction first (and other factions do want the AoC to lose, because the AoC wins after killing a certain number of people, say 4, including first night). What do you think?

and it's the perfect village for a resident Grim Reaper, though I might change it to Soul Reaper or something. Or maybe Wraith, or something. And their objectives and stuff would change. Hmmm.

Also, I just thought of a concept for the Puppeteer. During the day, they can PM a person and what they want the person to say, and I PM that person and they MUST say it EXACTLY and IMMEDIATELY. For example, the Puppeteer PMs me Mekal's name and the words "Right now I'm thinking Frost is suspicious", and I PM Mekal right away and Mekal must say "Right now I'm thinking Frost is suspicious", ie, the Puppeteer could control people like puppets, though there would be a limit of the number of commands per day (maybe 3 at the most). The Puppeteer's goal would be to lynch certain people or something