BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

The DEITY System

This is an RP, or roleplay- a collective story told by many people (as many that sign up), who each control a single character. They tell the story of their character as the characters interact with each other and the world, moving the story forward- sometimes toward a finish, sometimes not.

Only participate if you like to write ;D

Welcome to Epsilon, a world consisting of a tropical sea scattered with small islands. These islands, also tropical, are known as Epsilon-1, Epsilon-2, etc, all the way up to Epsilon-27, a sandbar off of Epsilon-26.

Nobody living in Epsilon decided on that, or the name of their world. They just know that's what it's called. Some of the islands are close enough together that you can see an island from the beach of another- the people there don't have the curiosity nor innovation to build a boat and explore- not yet, anyways. And nobody living on (for example) Epsilon-21 is curious that there may be 20 other islands, and maybe more... not yet, anyways.

The inhabitants are thus restricted to their own islands, all isolated from each other, where they make their living- a pleasant living. The weather is almost always good, except for the occasional monsoon. There is plenty of fish in the sea, fruit in the trees, and meat running around the jungle. Most of the islands have set up a sort of tribal leadership and community, living peacefully in beach huts or jungle houses, pretty sanitary too, though all the islands vary. Some are worse off than others. The people are usually very pacified.

This proclaimed "unrealism" is denounced by the mysterious DEITY System- the apparent boss of the world. It represents a god to the people of Epsilon- they know it exists, just as they know that they are living a place called Epsilon, just like they know their own island number. They also know that the DEITY System resides on the island Epsilon-0.

I say "apparent boss of the world" because the DEITY System does not interact with its world- not directly, anyway. The people fend for themselves. It does not interfere, for good or bad. It does not see the future. The people don't pray to it. But it is their god, their ruler - they just know that. I said "not directly, anyway"- and by that, I mean the DEITY System's propoganda. Yes, it interacts through propoganda- strange creatures known as Heralds may appear on the horizon, a couple of them in a long boat, using long paddles to bring themselves to shore. The people of whichever island the Heralds are visiting gather around, offering them food, drink, shelter. But Heralds don't eat, nor drink, nor sleep. They have no need. They are just there to give messages of the DEITY System, to spread propoganda. Slogans such as "Adapt. React. Be Independent. Be REALISTIC!"... or pictures of tribesmen gathering together, working in groups, or thinking of new ideas- or discovering new things, creating new inventions. Once the Heralds have given their message successful, whether it be verbal, a sand drawing, or an object they had taken with them, they depart as they had come, disappearing into the horizon.

It seems to you or I that Epsilon is a very strange world- but not so to the people that live there.

Epsilon does not really exist as you or I think of "existing"- it is inside a computer. It is the testing realm for an artificial intelligence computer system that its programmers call the DEITY System. The two programmers/scientists that made the DEITY System are currently in the fifth cycle of testing, terminating the world and starting over each time after a "failure". The cycle is a "failure" if a "success" is not reached within the 99th generation of the Epsilon inhabitants- a time span of a few hours in the real world.

The programmers are hoping that the inhabitants of Epsilon will form communities, they want leaders to emerge, they want diversity to spread, they want Epsilon-ians to develope the curiosity and skill to travel their world, they want them to adapt, to become more and more "realistic", as the DEITY System urges. And, of course, they want a "success"- not another "failure". If this fifth cycle is a "failure", their project will lose its financial support, and be over. So they want a "success" very much- it would also be a huge breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (AI), which is the main goal.

So what is a "success"?

A success is when a member of the world of Epsilon develops the desire to seek out the DEITY System- tp find the island of Epsilon-0, where the Heralds come from, where the DEITY System abides. When that happens (when an Epsilon inhabitant reaches Epsilon-0) it is declared a "success", a major breakthrough in AI, and the cycle will be terminated- and the DEITY System will continue to be worked with by the programmers to continue their artificial intelligence program. That is a "success".

Spoiler for a moral question to consider:

If a "success" is declared, it means the 'AI' really is just 'I'. It means the people of Epsilon, Cycle 5, or at least some of those people, could truly be seen as living beings, capable of everything we are. Would it be wrong to just pull the plug after a success, to terminate their world once they reach Epsilon-0? To just end Epsilon, Cycle 5, and start a new cycle with even more goals? Think of that in the background- it's a long way off from now (at least in the point of view of someone living in Epsilon)

Intrigued? Want to join?

Before I post how to join and how to get started, I just want to see a show of hands of how many people are interested, if any. So post here if you're interested :P

• Answers 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Also: Mabye my characters could eventually meet up with Brodi and Nez and Josh. I have a ship, so it seems logical.

ok.. but you need to find our island somehow.

ok.. but you need to find our island somehow.

I'll think of something, but it probally wont be untill later. I have a really awsome scene in my head for the Herald Islands. Mabye you guys can somehow find you're way there. It would probally be more interesting.

....It was definitely not a herald because the boat had now sunk and the person was starting to go under the water... she had to reach this person... When they were back on land... He was still breathing... There were woods about a hundred feet from the beach, and to the south there was a clearing. They could carry him there and wait... Wait and see what this man says.

Epsilon 4:

*Hector was just saved from drowning by two women on the island he was rowing towards...*

Hector opens his eyes, and sees two women kneeling over him, a confused smile spreads across his face.

"Who are you?" he asks, still clutching the oar from the boat. "Is this heaven?", "Where am I?", "What's going on?", "Who are you?"

"You already asked that!" giggled one of the girls (Oyate).

"You were drowning", said Ilyta: I saw you from a distance, floating on the water. Then you sank and we swam out to get you. We brought you back in and you were saying a name... is your name… Andrell?

Hector: Oh, no... My name is... wait, where is he? Where is the one that was with me!? "ANDRELL!" he yelled.

Oyate: There was someone with you!? (She asked with a sad tone) We brought back only you. I could only carry one person, and you were the first that I saw...

Hector jumped up and asked the girls to take him to where they had seen his ship sink a few minutes ago. They looked out at the waters and called Andrell’s name, but there was nothing. No sign of him, not even tracks in the sand… Andrell was lost.

After a few minutes Hector went on to explain who he was, and that he and Andrell had come from another island far away. He explained that there was a fire that killed everyone but Andrell and himself, and that they had made a boat and left because there was nothing left on the island left to eat. Of course he left out a few details, but why would he need to tell them about the drastic measures that he and Andrell had to take in order to survive? The girls were astounded by the story and thrilled about the existence of another island. Though they weren’t sure about how to bring it up to the elders… or if they should even tell the elders at all. But if they didn’t, then how do they explain Hector?

Oyate and Ilyta discussed it with each other and Hector, while informing Hector about some of the culture and people on their island….

"What are we doing today"asked Josh."today," brodi said"i teach u how to hunt." Josh and and brodi set off leaving nez behind. Brodi hunted with skill and ease. Josh however, did not fare so well. He stalked several prey , but either missed the throw or steped on a twig."this just wont do!" josh said with anoyance. That night after the stew had been eaten, Josh whitled down a almost perfectly strait stick to a point and then hardened it in the fire. The next day Josh went out before dawn and came back with a fully grown deer! "food for days" Josh said with satisfaction.

ps that long enough?

Edited by pieman

"What are we doing today"asked Josh."today," brodi said"i teach u how to hunt." Josh and and brodi set off leaving nez behind. Brodi hunted with skill and ease. Josh however, did not fare so well. He stalked several prey , but either missed the throw or steped on a twig."this just wont do!" josh said with anoyance. That night after the stew had been eaten, Josh whitled down a almost perfectly strait stick to a point and then hardened it in the fire. The next day Josh went out before dawn and came back with a fully grown deer! "food for days" Josh said with satisfaction.

ps that long enough?

It's a start.

ps that long enough?

yes.. just put a little more detail into it too.

like tell how you caught the deer. and how you killed it.

just add some more detail and it's perfect :)

EDIT: Also don't write alot. space it out.

write like once a day. that way Puzzlegirl & I have time to add what we want.

Edited by Thuhchris

time for me to join in :D

The DEITY System

This is an RP, or roleplay- a collective story told by many people (as many that sign up), who each control a single character. They tell the story of their character as the characters interact with each other and the world, moving the story forward- sometimes toward a finish, sometimes not.

Only participate if you like to write ;D

Welcome to Epsilon, a world consisting of a tropical sea scattered with small islands. These islands, also tropical, are known as Epsilon-1, Epsilon-2, etc, all the way up to Epsilon-27, a sandbar off of Epsilon-26.

Nobody living in Epsilon decided on that, or the name of their world. They just know that's what it's called. Some of the islands are close enough together that you can see an island from the beach of another- the people there don't have the curiosity nor innovation to build a boat and explore- not yet, anyways. And nobody living on (for example) Epsilon-21 is curious that there may be 20 other islands, and maybe more... not yet, anyways.

The inhabitants are thus restricted to their own islands, all isolated from each other, where they make their living- a pleasant living. The weather is almost always good, except for the occasional monsoon. There is plenty of fish in the sea, fruit in the trees, and meat running around the jungle. Most of the islands have set up a sort of tribal leadership and community, living peacefully in beach huts or jungle houses, pretty sanitary too, though all the islands vary. Some are worse off than others. The people are usually very pacified.

This proclaimed "unrealism" is denounced by the mysterious DEITY System- the apparent boss of the world. It represents a god to the people of Epsilon- they know it exists, just as they know that they are living a place called Epsilon, just like they know their own island number. They also know that the DEITY System resides on the island Epsilon-0.

I say "apparent boss of the world" because the DEITY System does not interact with its world- not directly, anyway. The people fend for themselves. It does not interfere, for good or bad. It does not see the future. The people don't pray to it. But it is their god, their ruler - they just know that. I said "not directly, anyway"- and by that, I mean the DEITY System's propoganda. Yes, it interacts through propoganda- strange creatures known as Heralds may appear on the horizon, a couple of them in a long boat, using long paddles to bring themselves to shore. The people of whichever island the Heralds are visiting gather around, offering them food, drink, shelter. But Heralds don't eat, nor drink, nor sleep. They have no need. They are just there to give messages of the DEITY System, to spread propoganda. Slogans such as "Adapt. React. Be Independent. Be REALISTIC!"... or pictures of tribesmen gathering together, working in groups, or thinking of new ideas- or discovering new things, creating new inventions. Once the Heralds have given their message successful, whether it be verbal, a sand drawing, or an object they had taken with them, they depart as they had come, disappearing into the horizon.

It seems to you or I that Epsilon is a very strange world- but not so to the people that live there.

Epsilon does not really exist as you or I think of "existing"- it is inside a computer. It is the testing realm for an artificial intelligence computer system that its programmers call the DEITY System. The two programmers/scientists that made the DEITY System are currently in the fifth cycle of testing, terminating the world and starting over each time after a "failure". The cycle is a "failure" if a "success" is not reached within the 99th generation of the Epsilon inhabitants- a time span of a few hours in the real world.

The programmers are hoping that the inhabitants of Epsilon will form communities, they want leaders to emerge, they want diversity to spread, they want Epsilon-ians to develope the curiosity and skill to travel their world, they want them to adapt, to become more and more "realistic", as the DEITY System urges. And, of course, they want a "success"- not another "failure". If this fifth cycle is a "failure", their project will lose its financial support, and be over. So they want a "success" very much- it would also be a huge breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (AI), which is the main goal.

So what is a "success"?

A success is when a member of the world of Epsilon develops the desire to seek out the DEITY System- tp find the island of Epsilon-0, where the Heralds come from, where the DEITY System abides. When that happens (when an Epsilon inhabitant reaches Epsilon-0) it is declared a "success", a major breakthrough in AI, and the cycle will be terminated- and the DEITY System will continue to be worked with by the programmers to continue their artificial intelligence program. That is a "success".

Spoiler for a moral question to consider:

If a "success" is declared, it means the 'AI' really is just 'I'. It means the people of Epsilon, Cycle 5, or at least some of those people, could truly be seen as living beings, capable of everything we are. Would it be wrong to just pull the plug after a success, to terminate their world once they reach Epsilon-0? To just end Epsilon, Cycle 5, and start a new cycle with even more goals? Think of that in the background- it's a long way off from now (at least in the point of view of someone living in Epsilon)

Intrigued? Want to join?

Before I post how to join and how to get started, I just want to see a show of hands of how many people are interested, if any. So post here if you're interested tongue.gif

Epsilon-0

Ping... ping...

The drops continued to fall from the roof of the sewer tunnel, splashing with little pings on the metallic, sloping floor. Drone held his breath and groaned inwardly as he brought his foot down, making a diminutive splash. He froze, the fear binding him to the spot like an unseen vice. Time ticked by in the form of heartbeats, pounding nervously against his ribs. He must've waited at least ten minutes before loosening his muscles and taking the next step in the murky darkness. Fear coursed through his veins, heightening his senses- almost too much. Every little shadow made his adrenaline soar like a golden eagle. Every time a rat scurried across the damp surface of the sewer tunnel, his heart would leap drastically. Every time he heard a distant splash, his mind experienced a flash of panic.

Drone was running for his life.

More like walking agonizingly slow. But he knew what would happen if he sped up. If he made noise. They would find him, they would capture him, they would hunt him down relentlessly until he was theirs. Drone couldn't let that happen- he had discovered the truth- the ultimate truth... and he had paid for it with his brother's life and quite possibly his own.

Another step. Another. Another. Drone was so close to the escape ladder... but it was at least another ten steps. Eight steps now... five steps... three steps... one more step... he reach out to touch the ladder, his fingers trembling and tentative, as if he had never believed this moment would-

Something tackled him from the shadows, dragging him into the dirty water. All the adrenaline was suddenly justified: Drone whipped around and hurled himself upward, taking his assailant with him- his momentum drove them both into the wall of the tunnel, smashing his attacker against the hard metal. Drone felt something crush sickeningly, but he only felt the smallest tinge of regret. His brother had made him promise, on his dying breath, to get out alive. To make sure their sacrifice wasn't for nothing. Computer terms flashed through Drone's head... words he hadn't understood until arriving here: viruses... code... hexadecimal... unable to complete Cycle 5... ERROR.

His unseen opponent wasn't finished- whatever it was threw Drone off him and regained its composure. As Drone steadied himself and whipped around, he heard heavy breathing. Whoever it was, they were alive. A living being. Drone ignored his initial confusion- he had assumed the Heralds would've sent an assassin robot after him.

Until Drone saw the person- then he understood even less. "What the hell are you doing here?" he shouted, as the assailant ominously circled around him, trying to get the best fighting position. "Answer me!" No response.

"Why did they send you?"

"They didn't send me," the attacker rasped, his dark eyes surveying Drone. "They would send a robot."

"Then who did?"

"I sent myself." The attacker lunged, metal glinting in their hand- a knife. Drone caught the arm and heaved on it, kneeling down, flipping the attacker over his shoulder, slamming him into the ground. The attacker instantly flipped onto his stomach, twisting Drone's arm 180 degrees. Drone screamed in pain, and the attacker launched himself forward, knife aimed for Drone's throat- he took full use of the millisecond he had, catching the attacker's arm and locking them in a death struggle... they grappled for control of the knife... the attacker was stronger, better trained... Drone gritted his teeth, growling in frustration. If the attacker gained the upper hand here, Drone would be dead. Like his brother.

That memory fueled him, unleashing a seismic force buried deep within him. His anger, confusion, and wonder combined about the truth of his world was like a volcano, it had been building up and up and up until it was about to explode... the volcano erupted inside Drone now, and he roared in his newfound strength, hurling the attacker against the metal ladder. His enemy's head smashed against the rung and the man fell limply to the floor.

The noise would have alerted the Heralds. It wouldn't be long before one of their deadly robots showed up- Drone scooped up the knife. He would need it.

Edited by unreality

giterdone, you can post it on ZOMG on The Revival if you want- then I'll edit it of any grammar mistakes and choppy writing to make it more presentable to the forum :P

I've been editing it. It's about more than 50 pages on microsoft word in standard book format.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!

For TC, Puzzlegirl, and Pieman: You need to post exactly how you found Josh on the island. There's a gap missing in the story and it needs to be filled.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!

For TC, Puzzlegirl, and Pieman: You need to post exactly how you found Josh on the island. There's a gap missing in the story and it needs to be filled.

Pieman, go back and write how you got to our island in more detail

and then we will restart the story from there

Edited by Thuhchris

"im alive!" said josh. "But where is this place?" Jjosh had commited suicide on the spur of the moment so he had some flint in his pocket. He went to the area where sand meets grass and started a fire. He also had some line so he went into the water to fish, and while he did so he thought," will this be the same as the other island?, should i just end it now." Then some one appeared behind him

Nez sits staring into the fire and begins to daydream about beasts and persons and what other beings could possibly exist. She had lived such a reclusive life…so isolated from everything but her crag and the crashing water below. Just then Rocky leaps and begins barking wildly. Nez snaps out of her hypnotic state, “what is it Friend?” She walked to the front of the cave and saw a man standing down the path a ways. “Brodi!” she called. The man startled and turned…but his was not Brodi’s face.

Josh saw the frightened look in Nez’s eyes. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “I am new to this island and I was just looking for shelter for the night.” Just then Brodi returned from his hunt proudly carrying two skinned rabbits. As he rounded the corner he looked up to see the stranger right in front of him.

“Who…” Brodi began, but he was cut off. “Josh” was the quick reply, “I am Josh. I did not mean to intrude, but I noticed the light of the fire and...”

“Where did you come from?” Brodi questioned suspiciously.

“If you will let me sit by your fire for a while I will tell you everything you’d like to know.”

Brodi and Nez looked at one another. “Welcome, Josh” said Nez. And the three spent the evening enjoying a warm meal, listening to one another’s stories and discovering things about which they had never imagined.

Pieman & Thuhchris...let's have a system about it. We have already agreed that when it is our turn to write the storyline that we are allowed to speak for one another (but not kill one another off!) We need to determine an order so that we don't overlap one another. Since I'm the matriarch, I say that we should write as follows:

Thuchris

Puzzlegirl

Pieman

...never deviating from that order. That way we will be sure to give each of us a fair chance to bend the story the way we'd like but won't totally dominate the others. Okay? Okay. (And the gavel comes down)

On another note, I will be gone for the weekend, so write your bits (Pieman next, then Thuhchris) and I will try to catch up on Monday or Tuesday.

Pieman & Thuhchris...let's have a system about it. We have already agreed that when it is our turn to write the storyline that we are allowed to speak for one another (but not kill one another off!) We need to determine an order so that we don't overlap one another. Since I'm the matriarch, I say that we should write as follows:

Thuchris

Puzzlegirl

Pieman

...never deviating from that order. That way we will be sure to give each of us a fair chance to bend the story the way we'd like but won't totally dominate the others. Okay? Okay. (And the gavel comes down)

On another note, I will be gone for the weekend, so write your bits (Pieman next, then Thuhchris) and I will try to catch up on Monday or Tuesday.

ok. i agree.

Pieman it's your turn.

remember: DETAILS!!! ;):D

Back to my story. :P

Cynn gave out a weak laugh. "Nice joke Chris. Really, where is he?"

"I wish I was joking." Said Chris. Cynn now have tears pouring down her face. Nero and Titus came back into the room. They had on clothes similar to Cynns, except more boyish.

"How do we look?" Nero asked. They saw Cynn crying and rushed over to her.

"What's wrong?" Titus asked.

Cynn gave him a big hug and said "My dad's gone. He died a few years ago."

"I'm so sorry to hear that. Is there anything that I can do for you?" Said Titus.

"There is one thing though." Said Chris. "I was told that if you ever returned, I was to escort you to the royal court to discuss his will."

"Royal court? My dad was never that big."

"After you disapeared, he became the Kings head merchant. We must go to the castle now to discuss the will."

When Josh woke up the next morning he forgot where he was.He screamed "this isnt epsilon 23!"(we know what epsilon were on right?) Rocky started barking and nez and Brodi woke up. "Your ok josh" nez said in a calming voice. "we didnt talk about this last night" said brodi, "; how did u get here?". "I had been fishing for 13 years." said Josh. "Its like living the same day thousands of times. I wnted to do any thing to stop the repetivness, so i drowned myself, becaust it was quicker than starving myself. Instead of dying i geuss i wnt unconuis and washed up here on this island." "Wow thats very interesting." said nez. "Well we beter get on with the day" said Brodi.

ps how old are nez and brodi?

pps i like how 2 see how u handle josh because that is my real name and i modled josh after myself

ppps im gonna get some pudding!

Edited by pieman

what I posted the first time, and a second part (I didn't have enough time to post them both)

Epsilon-0

Ping... ping...

The drops continued to fall from the roof of the sewer tunnel, splashing with little pings on the metallic, sloping floor. Drone held his breath and groaned inwardly as he brought his foot down, making a diminutive splash. He froze, the fear binding him to the spot like an unseen vice. Time ticked by in the form of heartbeats, pounding nervously against his ribs. He must've waited at least ten minutes before loosening his muscles and taking the next step in the murky darkness. Fear coursed through his veins, heightening his senses- almost too much. Every little shadow made his adrenaline soar like a golden eagle. Every time a rat scurried across the damp surface of the sewer tunnel, his heart would leap drastically. Every time he heard a distant splash, his mind experienced a flash of panic.

Drone was running for his life.

More like walking agonizingly slow. But he knew what would happen if he sped up. If he made noise. They would find him, they would capture him, they would hunt him down relentlessly until he was theirs. Drone couldn't let that happen- he had discovered the truth- the ultimate truth... and he had paid for it with his brother's life and quite possibly his own.

Another step. Another. Another. Drone was so close to the escape ladder... but it was at least another ten steps. Eight steps now... five steps... three steps... one more step... he reach out to touch the ladder, his fingers trembling and tentative, as if he had never believed this moment would-

Something tackled him from the shadows, dragging him into the dirty water. All the adrenaline was suddenly justified: Drone whipped around and hurled himself upward, taking his assailant with him- his momentum drove them both into the wall of the tunnel, smashing his attacker against the hard metal. Drone felt something crush sickeningly, but he only felt the smallest tinge of regret. His brother had made him promise, on his dying breath, to get out alive. To make sure their sacrifice wasn't for nothing. Computer terms flashed through Drone's head... words he hadn't understood until arriving here: viruses... code... hexadecimal... unable to complete Cycle 5... ERROR.

His unseen opponent wasn't finished- whatever it was threw Drone off him and regained its composure. As Drone steadied himself and whipped around, he heard heavy breathing. Whoever it was, they were alive. A living being. Drone ignored his initial confusion- he had assumed the Heralds would've sent an assassin robot after him.

Until Drone saw the person- then he understood even less. "What the hell are you doing here?" he shouted, as the assailant ominously circled around him, trying to get the best fighting position. "Answer me!" No response.

"Why did they send you?"

"They didn't send me," the attacker rasped, his dark eyes surveying Drone. "They would send a robot."

"Then who did?"

"I sent myself." The attacker lunged, metal glinting in their hand- a knife. Drone caught the arm and heaved on it, kneeling down, flipping the attacker over his shoulder, slamming him into the ground. The attacker instantly flipped onto his stomach, twisting Drone's arm 180 degrees. Drone screamed in pain, and the attacker launched himself forward, knife aimed for Drone's throat- he took full use of the millisecond he had, catching the attacker's arm and locking them in a death struggle... they grappled for control of the knife... the attacker was stronger, better trained... Drone gritted his teeth, growling in frustration. If the attacker gained the upper hand here, Drone would be dead. Like his brother.

That memory fueled him, unleashing a seismic force buried deep within him. His anger, confusion, and wonder combined about the truth of his world was like a volcano, it had been building up and up and up until it was about to explode... the volcano erupted inside Drone now, and he roared in his newfound strength, hurling the attacker against the metal ladder. His enemy's head smashed against the rung and the man fell limply to the floor.

The noise would have alerted the Heralds. It wouldn't be long before one of their deadly robots showed up- Drone scooped up the knife. He would need it.

As Drone pushed his way into the sunlight and stepped out from the dark sewer pipe, his face brushed against dewy dune grass and his hands rested on warm sand. He stood up, closing the hatch behind him- sand naturally rushed in to cover it up.

He was between two lofty sand dunes that flared up on either side, coming to a knifelike apex. The pipeline must've continued on and into the ocean. Drone shook his head wearily... the Heralds seemed to have no respect for the beautiful environment. A digital environment... pollution was never programmed in... More words he didn't know. Digital? Programmed? Words he had never even known existed until Epsilon-0.

Drone hiked up the sand dune to the top and stared out at the twinkling sapphire ocean. It was noon- the sun was hanging directly above him, casting a golden glow across the stretch of sand from here to the shore. Drone took a deep breath, inhaling. It was just like his home island of Epsilon-1. A place he could never return. Not after what he had seen here- he turned around to face the middle of the island. The vast tropical island, roughly circular, rose up from beach into jungle and then into a massive volcano, green-sloped and dormant. At the top was a mighty dome, flanked by pillars and ringed with towers. The Herald fortress known as The Origin.

Three days ago, Drone and his brother, Kelrod, had arrived at Epsilon-0, their raft floating lazily ashore. They had been the first to evolve intellectually, months ago, longing to explore their mysterious world. They began to build a boat... However, a man named Quarad had got the idea at the same time, and a deadly battle had been fought atop the boat as it launched into sea... Quarad had loaded explosives onboard, but Kelrod and Drone escaped on a piece of flotsam, a chunk of the hull that would serve as a raft. They had believed Quarad to be dead.

Then they had floated onto Epsilon-0. A Herald appeared to them, saying they could end Cycle 5 as a success, whatever that meant. The Heralds took them to The Origin and took them down into the lava chambers inside the volcano- where there lied a gigantic volcanic crystal. All they had to do was touch the Crystal, and Cycle 5 would be a success. The AI program would be successful, and it would be a huge breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence.

Artificial intelligence, Drone had wondered. What do they mean, "artificial"? The Heralds had revealed that the Crystal was not the DEITY System- neither was the island of Epsilon-0. They had shown Drone and Kelrod the truth- that EVERYTHING in Epsilon was part of the DEITY System. It was the computer-generated environment around them and the code that ran it.

Choosing whether or not to touch the Crystal "was part of the test", the Heralds said... though the programmers much wanted them to do it. Kelrod was first... he looked back at Drone. The night before, they had discussed what would happen if Cycle 5 "terminated"- what would happen to the people inside?

Kelrod had decided not to touch it.

And he had paid with his life.

Drone gritted his teeth in loss and anger at the memory of his brother being dragged away, never to be seen again. A Herald had returned, informing Drone that his brother had been thrown into the lava, and the same would happen to him unless he touched the Crystal. Remembering his brother's final shouted words as they dragged him away, Drone had decided. His life was not worth the many that would be rendered inexistant if the program ended.

He had refused to touch it. That was when the Heralds got nervous- their bluff hadn't worked. So they had leapt on Drone and forced his hand onto the Crystal. What happened next was not "the success"- the Crystal had flashed, and a computer voice had asserted that there was a virus in the system. A programming error. It was unable to complete Cycle 5 until the virus was destroyed.

That was when Drone had taken advantage of his captors' confusion, breaking free of their grasp and running through the underground tunnels underneath the volcano until he found the sewer pipe.

Then Quarad had attacked him. Someone the man had also found his way to Epsilon-0. Drone had smashed his rival's head against the ladder, but he doubted Quarad was dead.

And now, Drone had no idea what to do as he stared up at the citadel of the rulers of his artificial world.

Edited by unreality

"I'm going hunting today, would you like to come?" Brodi asked Josh.

"Sure. It's got to be better than fishing." Josh chuckled.

Brodi got into his pack and whipped out a knife. He handed Josh the knife and dug

deeper, he pulled out another knife and closed his bag. He walked over to the

cave wall, where his spear layed. He handed Josh the spear and told him to follow.

After about a half an hour Josh spoke.

"What are we going to kill?" he asked.

No answer.

"Brodi, what are we going to kill?"

"A deer." Brodi finally said. "...get ready."

"Wha..?" Josh started.

"There!" Brodi said in a sharp whisper.

Josh brought his arm back and got ready to throw. The deer was standing there

eating grass not knowing that death could befall it at any second.

"Now!" Brodi said in another sharp whisper.

Josh threw the spear as hard as he could. It went soaring though the air right at

the deer, but didn't hit it. It went a few inches above the target. Brodi could see

the disappointment in Josh's eyes.

"You"ll get him next time, don't worry about it" Brodi said.

They walked for around for about 20 minutes when they spotted another deer.

this one was a little smaller, but it would do.

Josh readied the spear once again, and launched it through the air, this time it

hit right throught the heart. The deer fell and started breathing heavily. Brodi

pulled out his knife and forced it through the animals heart, ending his suffering.

Josh and Brodi picked the deer up and brought it back to the cave, where Nez

had been waiting for them. Brodi pulled the deer around the corner and cut into

it, Cleaning the blood off and seperating the meat from the organs and other

inedible part. Meanwhile Nez and Josh were talking and carving Josh was carving

a spear, using the fire to harden the tip. And Nez was carving eating utensils,

a new fishing pole. Once the deer was clean they started cooking the Rabbit Stew.

Noticing a bright red spot on the wood, Zetsu kicked a large fallen branch up into his hand and trotted toward Hinata's former pursuer who was now hiding behind the large stump of a dead tree that had been shattered by lightning long ago. He regretfully left Hinata's side so he could save her brother. She had about five hours to live in the condition she was in now. Zetsu had little time if he was to save even one of the bright-eyed young apprentices he had so happily taken under his wing. He decided that swift action and injurious intent were necessary. He was never one to enjoy injuring another, but his racing mind could think of no alternatives to achieve a better outcome in this scenario. He was heavily outnumbered and more than likely, he would have to rescue not one, but two people, all the while dealing with Sasori. "One obstacle at a time." he silently thought to himself as he approached the man panting behind the stump.

Zetsu backed up into the other side of the stump, raised the branch, and plucked the tiny red tree frog that he spotted before off of the wood making certain to use only a leaf to touch it, never his bare skin. He scraped at the frog's body with the small bamboo shoots he carried and made a set of darts and a set of arrowheads. He could hear the man breathing heavily on the other side of the stump. He knew exactly who he was, an easily coerced, yet surprisingly motivated young adult named Yamato. The village was large, but very close, which is why it hurt Zetsu so much to be cast away by it. Cast away by the man he was about to see. The man who was toying with his fate once more! But Sasori would have to wait.

Poor Yamato was already regretting volunteering to help Sasori burn that cursed raft. As Yamato was panting in indecision he saw the leaves to his right blow up off the ground in a tiny cyclone, a quick shadow, then the sky as he lay on his back with no feeling in his body. Unable to move, unable to speak, the paralyzed Yamato could only pray for help. The paralysis was of course limited and would leave no lasting effect on him. Zetsu even reassured him that he would be fine by night fall and that he harbored no ill will toward him, and that he acted only out of necessity. Zetsu then crushed some liquid out of a plant he had been carrying inside his robe and caught the drops in his sleeve. As he covered Yamato's face with his sleeve Zetsu chanted a spiritual protective ward around Yamato to ensure his safety until he awoke that night.

Zetsu stopped just out of range from the burning raft and ducked behind a coniferous tree. Peering from behind the tree just enough, he could see the raft was completely destroyed. A little more and he could see Sasori. Neji was near him, unconscious and covered in bruises and blood, lying on the ground. There were five others... no six... and so little time...

josh:what are we going to do today

brodi:what we did yesterday

josh;*groan*

brodi:what would you rather do?

josh:make a decent shelter we are living in a cave!(arent we???)

brodi:ok u do that while i hunt

The rest of that day Josh began making an axe. He realized he needed one after a few minutes of trying to cut down a tree with a kinfe and cutting less than an inch. He found some flint and aattached it to a strait stick. He sharpened one end to make a blade and flattened the other to make a makeshift hammer. He cut down a very easily. He was used to hard work having to do everything for himself. He cut down several more trees before Brodi Returned with dinner. That night he thought i could make little omes for a ll 3 of us, and if there are more people in this world we could make a villige. Then a restful sleep took him.

josh:what are we going to do today

brodi:what we did yesterday

josh;*groan*

brodi:what would you rather do?

josh:make a decent shelter we are living in a cave!(arent we???)

brodi:ok u do that while i hunt

The rest of that day Josh began making an axe. He realized he needed one after a few minutes of trying to cut down a tree with a kinfe and cutting less than an inch. He found some flint and aattached it to a strait stick. He sharpened one end to make a blade and flattened the other to make a makeshift hammer. He cut down a very easily. He was used to hard work having to do everything for himself. He cut down several more trees before Brodi Returned with dinner. That night he thought i could make little omes for a ll 3 of us, and if there are more people in this world we could make a villige. Then a restful sleep took him.

Then Nez got really pissed because Josh kept speaking out of turn! :rolleyes: