BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

The DEITY System

This is an RP, or roleplay- a collective story told by many people (as many that sign up), who each control a single character. They tell the story of their character as the characters interact with each other and the world, moving the story forward- sometimes toward a finish, sometimes not.

Only participate if you like to write ;D

Welcome to Epsilon, a world consisting of a tropical sea scattered with small islands. These islands, also tropical, are known as Epsilon-1, Epsilon-2, etc, all the way up to Epsilon-27, a sandbar off of Epsilon-26.

Nobody living in Epsilon decided on that, or the name of their world. They just know that's what it's called. Some of the islands are close enough together that you can see an island from the beach of another- the people there don't have the curiosity nor innovation to build a boat and explore- not yet, anyways. And nobody living on (for example) Epsilon-21 is curious that there may be 20 other islands, and maybe more... not yet, anyways.

The inhabitants are thus restricted to their own islands, all isolated from each other, where they make their living- a pleasant living. The weather is almost always good, except for the occasional monsoon. There is plenty of fish in the sea, fruit in the trees, and meat running around the jungle. Most of the islands have set up a sort of tribal leadership and community, living peacefully in beach huts or jungle houses, pretty sanitary too, though all the islands vary. Some are worse off than others. The people are usually very pacified.

This proclaimed "unrealism" is denounced by the mysterious DEITY System- the apparent boss of the world. It represents a god to the people of Epsilon- they know it exists, just as they know that they are living a place called Epsilon, just like they know their own island number. They also know that the DEITY System resides on the island Epsilon-0.

I say "apparent boss of the world" because the DEITY System does not interact with its world- not directly, anyway. The people fend for themselves. It does not interfere, for good or bad. It does not see the future. The people don't pray to it. But it is their god, their ruler - they just know that. I said "not directly, anyway"- and by that, I mean the DEITY System's propoganda. Yes, it interacts through propoganda- strange creatures known as Heralds may appear on the horizon, a couple of them in a long boat, using long paddles to bring themselves to shore. The people of whichever island the Heralds are visiting gather around, offering them food, drink, shelter. But Heralds don't eat, nor drink, nor sleep. They have no need. They are just there to give messages of the DEITY System, to spread propoganda. Slogans such as "Adapt. React. Be Independent. Be REALISTIC!"... or pictures of tribesmen gathering together, working in groups, or thinking of new ideas- or discovering new things, creating new inventions. Once the Heralds have given their message successful, whether it be verbal, a sand drawing, or an object they had taken with them, they depart as they had come, disappearing into the horizon.

It seems to you or I that Epsilon is a very strange world- but not so to the people that live there.

Epsilon does not really exist as you or I think of "existing"- it is inside a computer. It is the testing realm for an artificial intelligence computer system that its programmers call the DEITY System. The two programmers/scientists that made the DEITY System are currently in the fifth cycle of testing, terminating the world and starting over each time after a "failure". The cycle is a "failure" if a "success" is not reached within the 99th generation of the Epsilon inhabitants- a time span of a few hours in the real world.

The programmers are hoping that the inhabitants of Epsilon will form communities, they want leaders to emerge, they want diversity to spread, they want Epsilon-ians to develope the curiosity and skill to travel their world, they want them to adapt, to become more and more "realistic", as the DEITY System urges. And, of course, they want a "success"- not another "failure". If this fifth cycle is a "failure", their project will lose its financial support, and be over. So they want a "success" very much- it would also be a huge breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (AI), which is the main goal.

So what is a "success"?

A success is when a member of the world of Epsilon develops the desire to seek out the DEITY System- tp find the island of Epsilon-0, where the Heralds come from, where the DEITY System abides. When that happens (when an Epsilon inhabitant reaches Epsilon-0) it is declared a "success", a major breakthrough in AI, and the cycle will be terminated- and the DEITY System will continue to be worked with by the programmers to continue their artificial intelligence program. That is a "success".

Spoiler for a moral question to consider:

If a "success" is declared, it means the 'AI' really is just 'I'. It means the people of Epsilon, Cycle 5, or at least some of those people, could truly be seen as living beings, capable of everything we are. Would it be wrong to just pull the plug after a success, to terminate their world once they reach Epsilon-0? To just end Epsilon, Cycle 5, and start a new cycle with even more goals? Think of that in the background- it's a long way off from now (at least in the point of view of someone living in Epsilon)

Intrigued? Want to join?

Before I post how to join and how to get started, I just want to see a show of hands of how many people are interested, if any. So post here if you're interested :P

• Answers 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

To clear the virus thing up- there are two viruses in the program, installed by separate rivals of the programmers:

Hector- stops the Crystal from working

Frog- if he touches the Crystal (I'm not sure if this is regardless of Hector being alive or whatever, we'll see...), it wipes the entire memory and destroys the entire program and all of the programmers' work is lost (including everyone "living" inside Cycle 5)

Nez stood frozen in place; except for her eyes which followed the man as disappeared into the thick of the forest. She was not entirely sure what had just occurred as it all happened so fast. “He was going to kill me!” she thought, her mind trying desperately to piece together the event. “But he didn’t. Why?” Her mind kept flashing pictures of his face. It was a sullen face that seemed riddled with fear. But his eyes, his eyes. There was something behind his eyes. They were big and dark and beautiful and no matter how menacing his stance, there was kindness in his eyes.

Just then Josh and Brodi broke through the thicket behind her. “Nez! Are you okay?” Josh shouted.

Brodi said between deep, gasping breaths, “When you didn’t return right away we got worried. Where have you been? Did you encounter a boar?”

“No,” Nez nearly giggled, “not a boar.”

“Then…” but Nez cut Josh off.

“A man!” she said giddily. “I saw a man!” She was trying desperately to recollect his features, but all she could remember were his eyes. She smiled shyly.

“I came face to face with him. I must have startled him as much as he startled me because he raised his spear. But…” she giggled out loud this time, her smile lifting her whole face “he turned away and ran off.”

The boys didn’t now what to make of this. It wasn’t all that long ago that each of them thought they were alone in the world, and now, like a miracle, they had found each other. Why should they then be surprised that yet another person had found them? Perhaps he was a loner like they once were? Perhaps that’s why he was so startled that he ran? Perhaps he could join their alliance?

“Well, what are we waiting for?” yipped Josh, “Let’s find him!”

“Maybe he knows how to make a boat!” said Brodi, having caught his breath.

Nez stood in the same place just smiling to herself.

“Nez?” one of them said

“Yes. Let’s find him.” She replied.

i see how it is, me and brodi are boys but frogs a man <_< . This is very similar to being rejected last year by every girl i asked out(all 1 :lol: )

"We need to get wepons" said josh"go get the spears brodi." When he returned they all armed themselves with two spears, one in their hand another tied to their back. They went in a strait line ,Brodi first then josh and bringing up the rear nez. Brodi saw something and raised his spear,"halt" but there was no point the beast(sry octupuppy :( ) was high in a tree. "Come down or i will kill you!" said Josh. Frog slowly climbed down the tree and sat on the ground.

im clueless after this. how can we comunicate? frog cant speak can he?

To clear the virus thing up- there are two viruses in the program, installed by separate rivals of the programmers:

Hector- stops the Crystal from working

Frog- if he touches the Crystal (I'm not sure if this is regardless of Hector being alive or whatever, we'll see...), it wipes the entire memory and destroys the entire program and all of the programmers' work is lost (including everyone "living" inside Cycle 5)

I have a couple questions.

1. does each virus know that it is a virus?

2. do the Heralds know who they are?

1. No, they don't. At least not yet...

2. The Heralds only know once that person sets foot on the shores of Epsilon-0 and gets info downloaded- after that happenings, the Heralds know a lot about you as well as your exact location. And you can't fight off a Herald, unless you're part of the Antivirus Software (which I'll get to, lol). Heralds are like tall, fair men and women that shine with an otherwordly light (just a game tag so the programmers can find them in the 3-D environment) and have giant bronze-orange gloves that crackle with blue electricty that deal a wicked, brain-frying punch (kills instantly, though they can adjust the strength of their hit and the amount of electricity to make it just knock somebody out). The Heralds also use their gloves to control the electric fields in charge of assassin robots- which are kinda i,Robot-like, but not exactly. The assassin robots are pure white and lithe and athletic and flexible with iron-man-looky faces that are still white

So Heralds will want to kill any virii (Hector, Frog) OR failed touchers of the Crystal (Drone), and drag others down to the Crystal to touch it to end Cycle 5

What is the Antivirus Software?

The programmers have a back-up for virii, of course. In each generation of each cycle, there is a trio of Epsilonians there to protect the Epsilonians from virii- they are called the Antivirus Software. This trio is Zetsu and his two apprentices, Neji and Hinata. The AS (Antivirus Software) has special powers, almost Herald-like. They're supposed to be used against virii, but they could be used against Heralds or other Epsilonians too

Some of the powers:

* enhanced vision: only the AS could see Epsilon-0 from Mystic Mountain. Anybody else would just see ocean

* greater body control: Zetsu sat on the mountain, cross legging and closing his eyes for months (right? IIRC)... the AS can shut down their bodies, stop their hearts if they wish, etc

* Herald-like reflexes: the AS can jump higher and react quicker

* Insulation: electric shocks do not affect the AS, only slightly, because of their greater body control, they can ignore such attacks

A Herald by the name of Beta walked across the land, shining with its radiant aura, a tag for the programmers to identify the Heralds in the 3-D environment. However, the Herald's aura wasn't that large... it was rather small, actually. Beta was only a rookie at battle- the only reason he was sent was because he was a Herald Diplomat, the son of the Herald's leader, who was known as Omega.

Luckily Beta had his strong-aura'd bodyguard, Delta. Delta was massive and muscular, with a grunt face and determined eyes.

Why such an important and strong greeting party? They were greeting none less than the Antivirus Software. The second clump of peoples to reach Epsilon-0. Beta felt a stab of anger when he thought of the first clump...

His thoughts were drawn to the present when they emerged onto the beach. A sudden movement made him snap his head upward toward the top of a dune. Delta was already heading in that direction. Beta had seen Drone, on the dunetop! Drone had been waving, mocking them! Beta felt a surge of anger rise up inside of him...

That was when, with the rush of sand, something slammed into him from behind, and all hell broke loose.

His thoughts were drawn to the present when they emerged onto the beach. A sudden movement made him snap his head upward toward the top of a dune. Delta was already heading in that direction. Beta had seen Drone, on the dunetop! Drone had been waving, mocking them! Beta felt a surge of anger rise up inside of him...

That was when, with the rush of sand, something slammed into him from behind, and all hell broke loose.

Knocked to the ground face first, Beta spun around wildly to confront the attacker he had somehow not noticed. Upon doing so, his eyes widened like a cartoon at the sight of that which he knew was impossible. A gigantic dragon stood before him! As Beta seemed to be determining the appropriate course of actions he should take, the dragon coiled its neck back and then snapped it forward a few meters from Beta unleashing an utterly horrifying bellow that was both deep enough to shake the land and high enough to deafen the ears.

The thunderous boom stopped Delta in his tracks. Delta turned from Drone and raced back to the shore. The dragon drew one arm back as if to hit Beta once more for the last time. Before Delta could reach the herald diplomat the dragon stomped down on his chest, crushing Beta's entire torso. The dragon let out another roar, this time toward the sky.

Delta approached fast. His movement showed no sign of the shock Beta had displayed. Scanning his environment, Delta saw a young girl sitting atop a small hill in the distance. She held a small brush and a thin sheet and was wildly painting. It looked as if the dragon's shape, size, and attributes were never in a solid state, as if he was constantly being improved. A moment before Delta reached his prey, the dragon sprouted six more arms to make eight total and the knobs of gigantic wings began to form... too late. Delta dashed through the gauntlet of attacks the dragon made, extended his right index finger, leaped up into the dragon's face and seemed to press through the dragon's forehead with his finger. The dragon began convulsing as Delta gracefully landed on his feet beside it. Then the dragon melted back into a puddle of the ink from which it was created.

Beta's torso completely regenerated and he rose to his feet. He now stood about 50 paces from Delta. Beta yelled to no one in particular: "As if something so barbaric could delete me! Hah! I am the son of the great Omega!" They began to walk toward each other when they heard a strange melody. Neither of them could move. It was some sort of paralysis! They were facing each other so all they could see were themselves and the periphery around them, so Neji walked in between the two of them, having had emerged from his hiding place to begin his song. They both saw him enter their vision from the corner of their eyes until he stood in the middle of them both. Neither herald showed any emotion toward the blind boy who incapacitated them with the strange contraption he was fingering that was hung around his neck and shoulder.

Then Zetsu slowly made his way toward the scene from his concealment. He stepped behind Beta and thrust his fist into the back of Beta's skull and Beta's eyes turned solid black. Delta showed the first hint of any emotion by releasing a high-pitched sound similar to that of crackling lightning. The sound conveyed displeasure but it was unlike anything they had ever heard uttered from someone. Zetsu removed his hand from Beta's skull, it was dripping wet with some kind of blue ooze, and Beta fell limp to the ground. Soon after, his aura faded entirely and then his body quickly dissolved away into nothing.

Zetsu then turned his attention to Delta who met his gaze levelly. Zetsu flexed his blue-fist and prepared to strike. Then Delta surprised them again by forcefully lifting his shaking arms to his chest despite the continued playing from Neji. Delta clasped his hands together, said something inaudible to everyone else making his aura get even brighter for a moment and then sank into the ground feet first, then knees, waist, arms, and neck. He paused with his eyes just above the surface for the briefest of moments as Drone and Hinata entered the scene. It looked like once Delta had an image of all four of them at once, he disappeared completely. Drone looked at the ground Delta had escaped into with a very sour expression.

Zetsu fell backward to sit in the sand with a sigh. He looked intently at his blue-stained hand. Drone sat next to him. "How did you know... how did any of you know how to fight and even kill them? And what were those techniques you were using? What are you?"

All three had the same thing to say: "We don't know how we know, we just know. We know we were meant to meet and to come here. We know we were meant to confront the heralds. We must destroy them and protect those like you."

Neji leaned forward in thought, "Yes, but we will need to become stronger if we are to compete with them. The level of the one who escaped my music was significantly higher than the one Master Zetsu killed. And if there are others even more powerful than that one? Well, saying that we have a lot of preparation to do will suffice."

"Yeah... some of their auras are so bright you can't even see them," Drone remarked. "Their brains are like brain-shaped essences of blue electricity filling their heads." He shuddered. "At least now do you understand what I meant? The Heralds are dangerous things... and now you've just gotten yourself on their bad side, like me... but worse. That was Omega's son... he's gonna have the 4 of us tracked down and destroyed so painfully..." Drone had to work himself down from his rant. "Quickly, we have to get out of this location... Delta's portal is still partway open, they might send back a bunch of new Heralds, and stronger ones. Omega won't rest until all 4 of us are dead. Perhaps we could flee across the island..."

The moon was high and full as the boat went further and further into the ocean, away from the only home Ilyta had ever known. She thought to herself: Now Oyate knows all of the secrets of the heralds. But who could have done such a thing to her? Copernicus must have watched us leave and followed us. Once he saw Hector, he told the elders and they were furious, and must have come out at once to take care of the situation. I must have been traveling through the woods at the time Oyate was beaten, but why didn’t they find Hector? If he had been lying in the same spot, I found him in; he would have been easily seen. They must have been looking for me, to kill me too. Hector realized that she must be deep in thought and saddened by the loss of her friend. He decided to leave her alone until she was ready to talk. All of a sudden Ilyta turned sharply around to face him. ‘Hector, you are my only friend now. No one on that island is my family or friend after what they did. I do not think they will come after us. They will just consider me lost. We are both alone but for each other. We are all we have now.’

They could no longer see Epsilon 4. Ilyta asked Hector if he was tired of rowing, but he could still go awhile longer. On the horizon, they could barely make out what looked to be yet another island. They were both worried about the people living on this new island. If her people would kill their own, what would someone do to a newcomer? Maybe they would find an island where the people were more curious about others. Their answers to these questions would have to wait, for it seemed a full day’s journey to reach the island.

"Yeah... some of their auras are so bright you can't even see them," Drone remarked. "Their brains are like brain-shaped essences of blue electricity filling their heads." He shuddered. "At least now do you understand what I meant? The Heralds are dangerous things... and now you've just gotten yourself on their bad side, like me... but worse. That was Omega's son... he's gonna have the 4 of us tracked down and destroyed so painfully..." Drone had to work himself down from his rant. "Quickly, we have to get out of this location... Delta's portal is still partway open, they might send back a bunch of new Heralds, and stronger ones. Omega won't rest until all 4 of us are dead. Perhaps we could flee across the island..."

Zetsu stood watch as his three youthful companions slept in a triangle formation on the ground hidden in a dense thicket. Zetsu was all but invisible, standing against a large tree trunk. Only the moon sparkling in his eyes could be noticed, so he shut them and listened more intently to DEITY speaking to him. The words made more sense every time he heard them and he had become almost used to the constant upload of information he was receiving. The terms were still empty words, but the meaning was crystal clear as were all of their roles.

Hinata could create anything that her imagination could conjure to fight and trap the Heralds. Neji could paralyze and delay them with sound and he, Zetsu, was the executioner. He twirled the mysterious pendant he wore around his neck as he pondered his definitive purpose. He had always thought of himself as a complete pacifist, so why had he slipped so easily into this role? Then it hit him! He was meant to protect the Epsilonians which is why he felt such an affinity for them, but only them. And anyone who disturbed the Epsilonians would pay the largest price: deletion, as Zetsu had come to know it before the sun rose.

Zetsu stood watch as his three youthful companions slept in a triangle formation on the ground hidden in a dense thicket. Zetsu was all but invisible, standing against a large tree trunk. Only the moon sparkling in his eyes could be noticed, so he shut them and listened more intently to DEITY speaking to him. The words made more sense every time he heard them and he had become almost used to the constant upload of information he was receiving. The terms were still empty words, but the meaning was crystal clear as were all of their roles.

Hinata could create anything that her imagination could conjure to fight and trap the Heralds. Neji could paralyze and delay them with sound and he, Zetsu, was the executioner. He twirled the mysterious pendant he wore around his neck as he pondered his definitive purpose. He had always thought of himself as a complete pacifist, so why had he slipped so easily into this role? Then it hit him! He was meant to protect the Epsilonians which is why he felt such an affinity for them, but only them. And anyone who disturbed the Epsilonians would pay the largest price: deletion, as Zetsu had come to know it before the sun rose.

"They'll really be after us now," Drone muttered, impressed at the abilities of the Antivirus Software. "Do you think you could hold off an entire army of them?" He sounded hopeful, but he doubted it was possible. "It's either stay, and let them rush us with a massive legion, or get the hell out of here..." he concluded, looking around. Above, the sky was darkening and a wind was kicking up. Drone thought he saw a lightning bolt flash on the horizon.

A monsoon was coming from the edge of the southern sea, sweeping into the peaceful world of Epsilon.

I'm not sure if it's my turn but anyway...

Epsilon 17:

Hiding in the tree had been an instinctive reaction. Frog thought they would probably catch up with him, and they had. "So what now?" he wondered, surveying them. They were armed with spears, but seemed to lack aggression. They appeared to be waiting for him to say something. Strangely, Frog was more nervous than he had ever been in his entire life. He attempted his first speech:

"Uh... uh... n-n-n-n-no harm. Umm..."

He wasn't sure if they got his meaning, but it broke the ice somehow. The girl stepped forward (Frog was shocked at this; she was the smallest and youngest, and only just escaped death at his spear. Why was she so bold?)

"My name is Nez." She said. "This is Brodi, and Josh", indicating her companions.

An uncomfortable silence followed. Eventually Frog realised that he was expected to speak.

"Fwog", putting a hand to his chest. He still hadn't got the hang of pronouncing "R"s.

"Hello Fwog", said Nez. The boys seemed suspicious, but there was only kindness in her eyes. She seemed to give the situation a moment's thought. "Do you want some food?"

With that, Frog nodded and followed them back to the camp. He was confused and bewildered by the unexpected generosity of these people. There was hot food waiting at the camp. As darkness fell, Frog ate with them and made further attempts at conversation. He found it easiest to talk to Nez, as the boys still seemed a little uncertain of how to take him.

"You... leave... here? Boat?" he asked her.

"Yes." said Nez. "Will you come with us?"

"Yes." said Frog. "Will help you... finiss boat. Find new places."

Nez smiled.

"Are you from this island?" asked Brodi.

"No." said Frog. "Ickle island. Den a nuvver island. Dat way." (pointing to the south), "Don't go dere. Bad place."

The others exchanged concerned looks. Frog thought it might be wise to say something else.

"I got a boat. Ickle boat. Fix it on your boat. Make it better." He smiled.

The following morning, they lashed the boats together and made preparations for the journey. Frog did his best to convey a sense of urgency, without wanting to seem too afraid. That afternoon he sneaked away from camp and walked up to a high part of the island, looking out to the south to see if the Odekites were coming. He saw nothing, but had a feeling they would be coming very, very soon. They would at least take some time to search the island, as long as they could be gone beforehand. He returned to camp and helped load up the boat.

Nayana asked to remove herself from the game.

Please do the same with me since I too don't get time to be updated with the contents of the board these days.

Flashes of lightning lit up the driving rain and howling tropical winds, raging above a small group of stragglers. Drone, Zetsu and the old sage's apprentices were striking their way across Epsilon-0, heading toward the interior to escape the storm.

The monsoon was still over Epsilon-0, but more of it continued to sweep from the south, driving the first front northward across the stormy seas and approaching the rest of the Epsilon achipelago.

Zetsu was twirling his medallion between his fingers when he saw what looked like stretch limousines pouring in over the (never-before-seen) bridges from all the other islands of Epsilon and even perhaps from beyond: the Netherworld that encompassed all and was known as BrainDen. The Hummer and Escalade limos were so many that they were crowding Epsilon 0. The passengers stepped out decked in pin-stripe suits and showing off their foreign super model girl friends clinging to their elbows and smiling. They all seemed to be carrying firearms and none of them appeared to trust anyone else. Zetsu had heard about this once while browsing a forum on the Lost boards (Zetsu loves Lost btw) They were the.... what was it?... ah yes!!! Mafia! Mafia had taken over Epsilon! ...and Zetsu cried himself to sleep...

As Nez sat in the boat, drifting on the calm sea, she saw, off in the distance, an large island. She sensed something strange about the island and as her boat grew closer, so her uneasiness grew. She saw crowds gathered at the shore, they were yelling not in cheer but in anger at one another. "This island is dangerous," she thought to herself; "we should turn the boat and row away before they see us." But before she could utter a word, a brilliant light exploded in the sky above the island. The explosion sent a mechanized sound shooting through the atmosphere. Albiet still miles away, Nez became dizzy just from witnessing what seemed to be a supernatural event. When the quaking slowed and her vision cleared she looked toward the island...Nez gasped in horror! The island had disappeared! There wasn't a trace of it on the horizon in any direction. There wasn't a trace of it in the clouds overhead...it had vanished...it had MOVED!

(my tribute to the Lost season IV finale)