BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

The DEITY System

This is an RP, or roleplay- a collective story told by many people (as many that sign up), who each control a single character. They tell the story of their character as the characters interact with each other and the world, moving the story forward- sometimes toward a finish, sometimes not.

Only participate if you like to write ;D

Welcome to Epsilon, a world consisting of a tropical sea scattered with small islands. These islands, also tropical, are known as Epsilon-1, Epsilon-2, etc, all the way up to Epsilon-27, a sandbar off of Epsilon-26.

Nobody living in Epsilon decided on that, or the name of their world. They just know that's what it's called. Some of the islands are close enough together that you can see an island from the beach of another- the people there don't have the curiosity nor innovation to build a boat and explore- not yet, anyways. And nobody living on (for example) Epsilon-21 is curious that there may be 20 other islands, and maybe more... not yet, anyways.

The inhabitants are thus restricted to their own islands, all isolated from each other, where they make their living- a pleasant living. The weather is almost always good, except for the occasional monsoon. There is plenty of fish in the sea, fruit in the trees, and meat running around the jungle. Most of the islands have set up a sort of tribal leadership and community, living peacefully in beach huts or jungle houses, pretty sanitary too, though all the islands vary. Some are worse off than others. The people are usually very pacified.

This proclaimed "unrealism" is denounced by the mysterious DEITY System- the apparent boss of the world. It represents a god to the people of Epsilon- they know it exists, just as they know that they are living a place called Epsilon, just like they know their own island number. They also know that the DEITY System resides on the island Epsilon-0.

I say "apparent boss of the world" because the DEITY System does not interact with its world- not directly, anyway. The people fend for themselves. It does not interfere, for good or bad. It does not see the future. The people don't pray to it. But it is their god, their ruler - they just know that. I said "not directly, anyway"- and by that, I mean the DEITY System's propoganda. Yes, it interacts through propoganda- strange creatures known as Heralds may appear on the horizon, a couple of them in a long boat, using long paddles to bring themselves to shore. The people of whichever island the Heralds are visiting gather around, offering them food, drink, shelter. But Heralds don't eat, nor drink, nor sleep. They have no need. They are just there to give messages of the DEITY System, to spread propoganda. Slogans such as "Adapt. React. Be Independent. Be REALISTIC!"... or pictures of tribesmen gathering together, working in groups, or thinking of new ideas- or discovering new things, creating new inventions. Once the Heralds have given their message successful, whether it be verbal, a sand drawing, or an object they had taken with them, they depart as they had come, disappearing into the horizon.

It seems to you or I that Epsilon is a very strange world- but not so to the people that live there.

Epsilon does not really exist as you or I think of "existing"- it is inside a computer. It is the testing realm for an artificial intelligence computer system that its programmers call the DEITY System. The two programmers/scientists that made the DEITY System are currently in the fifth cycle of testing, terminating the world and starting over each time after a "failure". The cycle is a "failure" if a "success" is not reached within the 99th generation of the Epsilon inhabitants- a time span of a few hours in the real world.

The programmers are hoping that the inhabitants of Epsilon will form communities, they want leaders to emerge, they want diversity to spread, they want Epsilon-ians to develope the curiosity and skill to travel their world, they want them to adapt, to become more and more "realistic", as the DEITY System urges. And, of course, they want a "success"- not another "failure". If this fifth cycle is a "failure", their project will lose its financial support, and be over. So they want a "success" very much- it would also be a huge breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (AI), which is the main goal.

So what is a "success"?

A success is when a member of the world of Epsilon develops the desire to seek out the DEITY System- tp find the island of Epsilon-0, where the Heralds come from, where the DEITY System abides. When that happens (when an Epsilon inhabitant reaches Epsilon-0) it is declared a "success", a major breakthrough in AI, and the cycle will be terminated- and the DEITY System will continue to be worked with by the programmers to continue their artificial intelligence program. That is a "success".

Spoiler for a moral question to consider:

If a "success" is declared, it means the 'AI' really is just 'I'. It means the people of Epsilon, Cycle 5, or at least some of those people, could truly be seen as living beings, capable of everything we are. Would it be wrong to just pull the plug after a success, to terminate their world once they reach Epsilon-0? To just end Epsilon, Cycle 5, and start a new cycle with even more goals? Think of that in the background- it's a long way off from now (at least in the point of view of someone living in Epsilon)

Intrigued? Want to join?

Before I post how to join and how to get started, I just want to see a show of hands of how many people are interested, if any. So post here if you're interested :P

• Answers 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am josh. I live on epslon 23. I have no family that i know of. I love to fish. I am curious about new ways to fish and how to get more fish.(at least im curious about something even if it is very small ;) ) I also enjoy making fires and ofcource eating the fish i catch! :D

Edited by pieman

Update:

Ezkaty = Ravine - Epsilon-14

Giterdone = Nero - Epsilon-26

Itachi-san = Zetsu

Brandonb = Andrell - Epsilon-3

Puppy = Frog

Nayana = Athena Epsilon-7

EsJohnson = Titan

CuteSparklezGirl = Melody

Frazler = Seran

Thuhchris = Brodi - Epsilon-17

Puzzlegirl = Nez - Epsilon-17

Pieman = Josh - Epsilon-23

Yay...we are finally getting this started. Comeon everyone else, write your stories please.

Do i have only normal name? :lol::lol::lol:

no other peoples are real... sort of ;):lol:

BTW.. are we waiting for all the islands to be filled or what?

Edited by Thuhchris

Zetsu is sitting at the apex of the highest peak on Epsilon-13, only known to others of the island as the Mystic Mountain. Many mind venturers have climbed the dangerous crag to speak with the legendary Zetsu seeking his bountiful wisdom, and almost all of them were completely disregarded as if they did not exist. No one dared attack Zetsu for fear of his magical powers, most of which could be attributed to gossip and bedtime stories. Very rarely will Zetsu speak to anyone. But today, Zetsu was most impressed with the young brother and sister who had approached him one hour ago. He began by merely listening to them ramble on and on and then there was a long silence between the three.

Then, both unexpected and welcome, the young Epsilonian girl, Hinata, asked if Zetsu believed there are other islands than their home of Epsilon-13. Zetsu partly opened his eyes to see the world for the first time in months. This had been a question that had plagued the wise one all his life, only he had been warned in a dream when he was a youth to never venture the seas in search of other islands until a young pair of siblings seeks him out and not only has thought of the same revolutionary idea but is also prepared to join him.

Zetsu slowly walked over to them and clasped both of their shoulders and spoke softly between them. They both wore grins from ear to ear. When Zetsu returned to his spot of meditation the two each dropped to a knee and swore allegiance to Zetsu as their mental and spiritual master. For the first time in his life, Zetsu took on a couple apprentices.

I, Nez, having finally shaken off the chill of witnessing the existance of a being similar but not wholly like myself, have gathered the courage to go foraging in the wilderness of my home island, Epsilon 17. While gathering wild fruit, more deeply into the forrest than I am comfortable with, I hear, off in the distance, the echos of a barking beast. This sound, although animal in nature, is nothing like the familiar grunts of the wild bore I have learned to avoid.

My thoughts begin to race. What else is out there? First, strange beings that seem to hover on the water, now the call of strange animals! I am frightened and once again retreat to my cave.

Today Brodi and rocky went hunting.

Rocky had caught two rabbits and brodi had found a new fruit tree,

which he marked so he could later come back a gather more food from.

Brodi took rocky and the food back to the cave which they had lived in and cooked the rabbits.

Later they went out and got a drink from the lake by the cave when rocky picked up a scent.

He started barking (which he doesn't usually do). Brodi wonder what it was.

Could there be something else out there? he thought. Rocky never barks unless there was a new scent.

They went back to the cave and turned in for the night.

I might write in first person from now on.

i just like it better.

Edited by Thuhchris

lol ok thuhchiris,

I normaly fish with my bare hand(which isnt very effective), so today I took the husk of a cocconut to make a line. Then, i made a small hook made from a hard black roch that I use to make fires. Finaly i attached the guts of other fish i have caught for bait. Then i threw the hook into the water. With this new thechnique I caught many more fish. Then i guted them and saved the guts for bait tomorow. I start a fire and cook and eat my wonderful catch. A very productive day! :D

Epsilon 19:

Frog is feeling ill. Days of eating only fruit have taken their toll. He feels like he ought to know how to do more than just forage, but he doesn't. Why didn't he learn more in his childhood? Where are his family? How did he come to be alone here? The questions are brushed away as they occur to him. He can't think about the past.

He stumbles about the island and finds more fruit. It only takes him 3 minutes to walk all around the small island. There are a few large rodents living in a burrow in the middle of the trees. Perhaps he could eat them.

Four weeks later, Zetsu woke the young siblings up 2 hours earlier than normal. He had trained them hard over the last month. They had come to learn that the legends of Zetsu's magic were indeed wrong, but the truth behind the actual man was far more interesting than a common fantasy. Zetsu was capable of maximizing his body's potential in a vast array of fields. His new apprentices had just begun to master handling the harsh conditions so high up the Mystic Mountain: a feat Zetsu made to appear as commonplace as breathing. The people of Epsilon 13 did indeed call it the Mystic Mountain, but Zetsu alone knew it as quite something else.

Today would be Neji and Hinata's first day of rest since they began training under Zetsu. He told them he would reveal the true name of the mountain to them tonight and finally after a long relaxing day, the sun began to dip below the horizon. Zetsu felt full of energy as he guided the twins around the peak of the mountain to the dark side which was seldom seen from below by those of Epsilon 13. Before they arrived, Zetsu lept in front of them with an almost frightening display of agility and shouted to the sky: "Don't think that tonight's full moon is a coincidence kids! You came to me on the night of the new moon just as was foretold in my dream. Hence, I have trained you for a month just as I had been asked. Now watch as the full moon reveals the truth of this mountain to your young eyes!"

Just as Zetsu finished speaking the sun disappeared entirely from the sky and a large cloud slowly revealed the full moon behind it. The light of the moon showcased the unimaginable to Neji and Hinata. There, at the distant edge of the ocean was an island! It was too far to make anything out, but it was there! What they had been dreaming of all their life now stood before them. Slack-jawed, they stood gaping at it as Zetsu added the finishing touch to the moment: "Behold the true identity of Moonlight Watcher."

Four weeks later, Zetsu woke the young siblings up 2 hours earlier than normal. He had trained them hard over the last month. They had come to learn that the legends of Zetsu's magic were indeed wrong, but the truth behind the actual man was far more interesting than a common fantasy. Zetsu was capable of maximizing his body's potential in a vast array of fields. His new apprentices had just begun to master handling the harsh conditions so high up the Mystic Mountain: a feat Zetsu made to appear as commonplace as breathing. The people of Epsilon 13 did indeed call it the Mystic Mountain, but Zetsu alone knew it as quite something else.

Today would be Neji and Hinata's first day of rest since they began training under Zetsu. He told them he would reveal the true name of the mountain to them tonight and finally after a long relaxing day, the sun began to dip below the horizon. Zetsu felt full of energy as he guided the twins around the peak of the mountain to the dark side which was seldom seen from below by those of Epsilon 13. Before they arrived, Zetsu lept in front of them with an almost frightening display of agility and shouted to the sky: "Don't think that tonight's full moon is a coincidence kids! You came to me on the night of the new moon just as was foretold in my dream. Hence, I have trained you for a month just as I had been asked. Now watch as the full moon reveals the truth of this mountain to your young eyes!"

Just as Zetsu finished speaking the sun disappeared entirely from the sky and a large cloud slowly revealed the full moon behind it. The light of the moon showcased the unimaginable to Neji and Hinata. There, at the distant edge of the ocean was an island! It was too far to make anything out, but it was there! What they had been dreaming of all their life now stood before them. Slack-jawed, they stood gaping at it as Zetsu added the finishing touch to the moment: "Behold the true identity of Moonlight Watcher."

This is deep all i did was fish

ps i made my own rp murder!!!check it out!

Edited by pieman

This is deep all i did was fish

ps i made my own rp murder!!!check it out!

:lol: yeah well fishing is always fun..

im going to write about my next day either tomorrow or in a few hours

Last night a saw a strange mountain faraway. I was very scared. It was a breach of scedual!(i know i spelled wrong)Today i just sat and ate my remaining fish.

Brodi's POV

Today Rocky and I went exploring further on the island.

It was a large island and we had only explored about one third of it so far.

On our adventure today we came across an airplane that had crashed.

It was in the middle of the island, so I deceided to make a home there.

It was out of rain and good from danger. so we stay the night there.

Later that night Rocky picked up that scent again. So he took off towards it.

I heard barking in the distance, but fell back asleep.

He didn't come back that night... or the next day.

Edited by Thuhchris

Brodi's POV

Today Rocky and I went exploring further on the island.

It was a large island and we had only explored about one third of it so far.

On our adventure today we came across an airplane that had crashed.

It was in the middle of the island, so I deceided to make a home there.

Was it an Oceanic flight? :P

omg- you actually gave me chills as i was reading. can i join too?

Ilyta is a young woman who lives on Epsilon 4. In addition to her parents, 2 younger siblings, paternal grandmother and fraternal grandfather, there are 4 other families. Over the years they have made themselves a pretty happy life. They all share in tasks on the island. They have helped make each others huts and taken care of each others family members as if they were their own. Ilyta remembers when her grandmother became sick with the disease that crippled her and finally took her life. The old woman who is married to the wise man brought some roots and herbs that she had mixed into a paste and rubbed it all over her grandmother. The wise man said it would not work, she was too sick. He was right. Her grandmother died. Everyone joined in sending her grandmother to the place the heralds come from. No one really knew where the heralds come from or why they came to them. The wise man said when the heralds come, just feed them and give them drink. She wondered why that was because they never ate or drank and always seemed to be trying to give them a message. After the heralds would leave she would often sit on the beach wondering about the other island she could see in the distance. Wondering if the people lived there as well, and if they did, did the heralds go to them as well? She knew better than to talk about her thoughts. The wise man once told her brother and her to never worry about the island. It would only bring trouble. One day as she was sitting on the beach, looking at the island in the distance, she noticed a boat on the water coming towards her. She got up and started towards her home to tell the people the heralds were coming. But something wasn’t right about this boat. It did not seem like it was of the same splendor that the heralds boats were. But what could it possibly be? They were the only people weren’t they? Nobody else goes in the water besides the heralds. She was very intrigued and decided to stand and wait for the boat to hit the shore. She would find out who and what was on it.

Was it an Oceanic flight? :P

I don't know.. i wasn't flying it :lol::rolleyes:

omg- you actually gave me chills as i was reading. can i join too?

yeah anyone can join

Edited by Thuhchris

Epsilon 19:

Frog swims patiently, around and around the small island. One lap. Then another. Then another. At one point, he feels as though he is being watched. Glancing over to the beach he sees Chip sitting on a rock, observing him. Frog smiles and carries on. Frog still has scars on his forearms from his first clumsy attempts at catching the rodents. As it turns out, they had quite an impressive will to live. But so did Frog. His hunting skills became more efficient with practice, and as his constitution became accustomed to eating raw meat, so his strength started to return. One by one he took the rodents as he needed them. Now there is only Chip, the fastest and strongest of the bunch. Frog has grown quite fond of Chip, and watched with interest as Chip left the burrow and explored the island, looking for safer places to hide. It was at that point that he thought up a name for Chip, deeming him worthy of an identity. Frog admires Chip's tenacity, and his ability to move on and do what it takes to survive. But Chip will not survive. There is no good hiding place on the island and Chip cannot swim. Frog, on the other hand, is a natural swimmer. He has been training hard for weeks, aware that when the food runs out, he must move on.

Unlike his sibling Andrell, Hector had a very good memory. He remembered the days before the fire on Epsilon 3, he was a happy young man. Except for the torturous bullying from another Epsilonian named Brock. There were three Epsilonians that Hector knew of (including himself) before the fire. Brock, the one that bullied him (the one that died in the fire), was the sole source of unhappiness in Hector's life. Perhaps it was some divine intervention that caused the fire to take Brock's life in his sleep? It must have been, because Hector had no idea how the fire started. The other Epsilonian, Quincy, was always very nice to Hector. It was strange, but Hector had no recollection of having met his sibling Andrell prior to the fire that took the life of that bully. But Hector knew him to be his sibling, Andrell and Hector looked exactly alike and talked alike, their only difference is that they had thoughts and views of the world very different from each other. In fact, Quincy (the one they had cannibalized), never knew the difference between them either. Actually, before his death, Quincy had never even talked to Andrell....

Finally, Hector and Andrell looked down at the small canoe they had finished hollowing out. It was a strange incidence of mixed fortune. Even though they constantly alternated shifts working on the tree, it had taken them twice as long as expected to hollow it out. But on the flip side, the "food" had lasted twice as long as expected between the two of them. So with just enough "food" remaining to make the trip to Epsilon 4, Hector and Andrell hopped into the canoe and headed away from the shore of Epsilon 3. They had only made one ore, so they alternated turns, while one rested the other would row them closer to the next shore. It was perfect weather for the voyage, very smooth waters and a cool breeze. As Hector took his break, he looked over the edge of the canoe into the water. He couldn't see anything, then his eyes focused on the reflection in the water, and he saw Andrell's demonic little smile looking back at him.

Seriously, this is for beckib3lw only

Spoiler for Unless you have already caught the twist...:

Just to clarify, when you make your next entry about seeing Andrell & Hector approaching on the canoe. Hector is one person with MPD. No Epsilonians know he has MPD, nor do they have any suspicions of it, they only know Hector. They only see Hector, and Andrell is in his head.

Nez awoke to the sound of a snarling beast right outside her cave. She jumped to her feet and snatched her weapon, a long twig she had sharpened at both ends to a fine, deadly point. She lit a torch, which was an effective tool to ward off the boars she had encountered on the island, and slowly creapt along the darkest wall of the cave. Her heart raced, her breathing quickened, her hands began to shake and sweat. Nez, afterall, was quite small for her age (...well, she did not actaully know her age, she only knew that her body had begun to change in weird ways and every so often she would, for no reason, and without being wounded, bleed.) and her tiny physique was unevenly matched against the larger boars on the island. Her weapons were her only hope. As she neared the mouth of the cave the daylight blinded her...she paused to let her eyes adjust. While her world was still a blur, she snarliung grew closer. She squinted to see through her sun-blinded haze a hairy beast, smaller than a boar but large enough to take her on...and it was in pouncing possition. She raised her spear and threw with all of her might, but with her poor vision she spear whizzed far left of the beast. It began to approach her. She could see it more clearly now. It was covered in thick, soft-looking fur from head to toe. It golden in color and had a long bushy tail. She had never seen such a creature! She took a step back, waving her torch infront of her. As she stepped back, she tripped and the torch flew from her hands...she was defenseless. The creature ran and leapt!

It bounded right on top of her legs...and then something strange happened. The beast began to wave it's long tail then it let loose of it's long wet tongue. The beasts drool dripped on Nez's chest...she screamed! Just then she felt something warm and wet against her face. Her eyes open to see the beast licking her and shaking it's hind end faster than ever. It was not going to kill her...in fact it seemed fond of her. For the first time in her life, Nez had a friend.

After i relized Rocky hadn't came back, i got really worried.

he never stays away from me for too long. So i packed my stuff and went looking for him.

I head towards the east side of the island my gear and searched for rocky.

I looked for hours and hours. I came by two different lakes.

I named one "Love Lake" because of it's heart shaped pattern.

"Rocky!!!... Come Here Rocky!!!" I shouted. i looked for about another hour.

and then i heard it... rocky's bark!! i ran for my life towards the sound.

i came through bushes into a clearing.

right in front of me stood a cave... "ROCKY!!!"...