BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

The DEITY System

This is an RP, or roleplay- a collective story told by many people (as many that sign up), who each control a single character. They tell the story of their character as the characters interact with each other and the world, moving the story forward- sometimes toward a finish, sometimes not.

Only participate if you like to write ;D

Welcome to Epsilon, a world consisting of a tropical sea scattered with small islands. These islands, also tropical, are known as Epsilon-1, Epsilon-2, etc, all the way up to Epsilon-27, a sandbar off of Epsilon-26.

Nobody living in Epsilon decided on that, or the name of their world. They just know that's what it's called. Some of the islands are close enough together that you can see an island from the beach of another- the people there don't have the curiosity nor innovation to build a boat and explore- not yet, anyways. And nobody living on (for example) Epsilon-21 is curious that there may be 20 other islands, and maybe more... not yet, anyways.

The inhabitants are thus restricted to their own islands, all isolated from each other, where they make their living- a pleasant living. The weather is almost always good, except for the occasional monsoon. There is plenty of fish in the sea, fruit in the trees, and meat running around the jungle. Most of the islands have set up a sort of tribal leadership and community, living peacefully in beach huts or jungle houses, pretty sanitary too, though all the islands vary. Some are worse off than others. The people are usually very pacified.

This proclaimed "unrealism" is denounced by the mysterious DEITY System- the apparent boss of the world. It represents a god to the people of Epsilon- they know it exists, just as they know that they are living a place called Epsilon, just like they know their own island number. They also know that the DEITY System resides on the island Epsilon-0.

I say "apparent boss of the world" because the DEITY System does not interact with its world- not directly, anyway. The people fend for themselves. It does not interfere, for good or bad. It does not see the future. The people don't pray to it. But it is their god, their ruler - they just know that. I said "not directly, anyway"- and by that, I mean the DEITY System's propoganda. Yes, it interacts through propoganda- strange creatures known as Heralds may appear on the horizon, a couple of them in a long boat, using long paddles to bring themselves to shore. The people of whichever island the Heralds are visiting gather around, offering them food, drink, shelter. But Heralds don't eat, nor drink, nor sleep. They have no need. They are just there to give messages of the DEITY System, to spread propoganda. Slogans such as "Adapt. React. Be Independent. Be REALISTIC!"... or pictures of tribesmen gathering together, working in groups, or thinking of new ideas- or discovering new things, creating new inventions. Once the Heralds have given their message successful, whether it be verbal, a sand drawing, or an object they had taken with them, they depart as they had come, disappearing into the horizon.

It seems to you or I that Epsilon is a very strange world- but not so to the people that live there.

Epsilon does not really exist as you or I think of "existing"- it is inside a computer. It is the testing realm for an artificial intelligence computer system that its programmers call the DEITY System. The two programmers/scientists that made the DEITY System are currently in the fifth cycle of testing, terminating the world and starting over each time after a "failure". The cycle is a "failure" if a "success" is not reached within the 99th generation of the Epsilon inhabitants- a time span of a few hours in the real world.

The programmers are hoping that the inhabitants of Epsilon will form communities, they want leaders to emerge, they want diversity to spread, they want Epsilon-ians to develope the curiosity and skill to travel their world, they want them to adapt, to become more and more "realistic", as the DEITY System urges. And, of course, they want a "success"- not another "failure". If this fifth cycle is a "failure", their project will lose its financial support, and be over. So they want a "success" very much- it would also be a huge breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence (AI), which is the main goal.

So what is a "success"?

A success is when a member of the world of Epsilon develops the desire to seek out the DEITY System- tp find the island of Epsilon-0, where the Heralds come from, where the DEITY System abides. When that happens (when an Epsilon inhabitant reaches Epsilon-0) it is declared a "success", a major breakthrough in AI, and the cycle will be terminated- and the DEITY System will continue to be worked with by the programmers to continue their artificial intelligence program. That is a "success".

Spoiler for a moral question to consider:

If a "success" is declared, it means the 'AI' really is just 'I'. It means the people of Epsilon, Cycle 5, or at least some of those people, could truly be seen as living beings, capable of everything we are. Would it be wrong to just pull the plug after a success, to terminate their world once they reach Epsilon-0? To just end Epsilon, Cycle 5, and start a new cycle with even more goals? Think of that in the background- it's a long way off from now (at least in the point of view of someone living in Epsilon)

Intrigued? Want to join?

Before I post how to join and how to get started, I just want to see a show of hands of how many people are interested, if any. So post here if you're interested :P

• Answers 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was wondering if i could still join in. if so, I would like to be Castor on epsilon-2.

you can join.. but you have to read the rule and come up with a story

to Brandonb- yes, and it took an eternity, i can tell you.

to thuhchris- it's fine with me!

now, the story:

Castor woke up on a cold sweat in the morning. The dream he just had just shook the foundations of his world. he dreamed his long dead mother had called to him, and told him that he was meant to leave the island with the others (Castor wondered about this, because the only person he had ever seen on the island was himself, and of course how would he leave?) he was to build a boat and make it his first priority to find the other epsilon islands.

Of course he believed this, but he had his doubts. How would he fair in the rest of the world? What if he drowned? what if, what if, what if! he caught himself what-ifing, and took action before it led him to procrastination. he started to look around the island, when he suddenly saw a boat drawing up on the shore.

Nez's head throbbed and as she slowly re-enter consiousness she was aware of her pain. Though her eyes were still closed she could hear heavy breathing next to her. "My beasty friend." she thought...but then she remembered the figure and the voice and...she remembered nothing after that. She reached up to her pounding head and found it wrapped in a bandage of some sort. She rolled to her side, opened one eye, and strained for it to come into focus. That is when she saw him. The figure. The being that was made like her.

He was sleeping soundly only a few feet away from her...and Friend was comfortably asleep at his feet. She was surprised to realize that she was not afraid. In fact, this was the first time in as long as she could remember that she was not afraid. She tried to sit up, but felt dizzy and nauseous and had to lay back down. And what was this she was laying on? It was some sort of make-shift bedding. She noticed the stranger was resting on a similar bed. Why was he being kind to her? Who was this being that looked so much like herself?

She studied him closely as he continued to sleep. He was longer than her, broader too. His hair was thick but not matted. He was a similar breed alright, but something seemed a little different. She gingerly stretched out her arm and with her finger gave him a swift poke at his breast. She was right. He was not as pillowy as she was. As soon as she withdrew her finger his eyes opened wide and he sat upright. He stared for a moment, still laying on her mat, then he spoke. This time when he spoke she had her wits enough to comprehend him; "Well, Hello" he said softly with a deep raspyness to his voice, "I was beginning to think you would never wake up." He smiled. Nez smiled back.

ThuhChris -

I just wanted to let you know that I am perfectly fine with you speaking for and creating actions for Nez. If we are going to partner up for the remainder of our journey it is going to be very difficult from this point on to create a story without making reference to each others words and actions.

Another thing...In reality I am a 35 year old housewife with two small kids. I am not up for role playing any sexual relationship with a teenage kid...so let's keep it Plutonic okay?

Oh and...thanks for playing along. This has been fun creating storylines with the intent on finding one another. I am excited to see where each of us takes it from here. :)

Nero woke up and saw a herald looking over them. He saw that he was in his house in the village. he sat up and asked the herald what happened. He said it was a glitch in the system. This confused Nero, so he dismissed the thought. He looked around and saw Titus and Cynn talking. he noticed that Eve was still sleeping right next to him.

"She took a real beating." said the herald. "Hit her head on a rock."

Titus Came over just then and said "The herald said she might die unless given proper care. If left here, she will die."

"SHE CAN'T DIE" shouted Nero.

"I am going to take her to my land where she can be treated properly. The problem is, once there she can never come back." said the herald.

"Then I'll come with you." said Nero.

"I am not allowed to do that. It's risky enough taking Eve back with me." Everyone sat in silence. "I must be going now. Don't worry about your friend, She'll be fine with me." He took Eve in his arms and went to his canoe. Nero, Titus, and Cynn watched him vanish in the sea.

"I am going to see Eve again, even if it's the last thing I do." Said Nero.

"We will come with you." Said both Titus and Eve. Later that night, while the village was asleep, They got to work on building a boat. They have much experience in construction, so the boat wasn't that hard for them. When they were done, it was the biggest boat they have ever seen. It was large enough to hold up to 20 men.

"We will set sail at dawn." Said Nero after they loaded the boat with provisions.

Edited by giterdone

anyone care to sum up what has happened so far? :D or are you guys gonna make me read it all? lol ;D

Later I'm gonna copy/paste it all into one post. It's not a lot to read though.

Edited by giterdone

Between Epsilon 19 and Epsilon 18:

This could have been a mistake. There were two possible destinations visible from Frog's island, and this one seemed to be both nearer and greener. But after a couple of hours of swimming, it didn't seem much nearer than it had at the start. Frog was starting to tire. Looking back, Epsilon 19 seemed far away, but not nearly so far as his destination. To carry on may be suicide. But if he turned back, death would be even more certain. He did not have the resources to survive. All the meat was gone. Frog felt a pang of regret. The rodent Chip had been the nearest thing he had to a friend. Was it wrong to eat him? Had he brought a curse upon himself? As he swam, he cried tears of sorrow, tears of desparation.

Epsilon 18, several hours later:

Frog staggers from the surf, collapsing face down at the water's edge. He feels the sun on his back and wants it to give him energy, but it is not enough. He wills himself not to pass out. The tide could take him back out. He must move. His head pushes round in the sand to see the tree line, so far away. He has to find food. He has made it to the island, but is closer to death than ever before. Just as he is preparing himself to move, the muscle cramps come and seize both his legs, sapping vital energy. The pain seems vague and distant. He waits for it to pass, then makes his move. Lurching forward he manages six steps up the beach, head spinning, before collapsing in the sand, unconscious.

Ilyta gasped. She thought she had noticed something happened to the boat coming towards shore, and now she was sure of it. It was definitely not a herald because the boat had now sunk and the person was starting to go under the water. Oyate froze with fear as Ilyta ran and jumped into the water. Ilyta had never been a strong swimmer, and had certainly never ventured out into the water further than over her head. But she had to reach this person. The questions that could be answered just by proving there might be life on other islands. Concentrating, putting one arm in front of another, she finally reached the person. It was a man, not much older than she. She reached out for him, grabbed him and then panicked. How was she supposed to bring him to the shore? She was definitely not that good of a swimmer. Oyate had come to her senses as Ilyta hit the water, and she was right behind her. She grabbed this man and told Ilyta to hurry because she was unable to drag 2 people back to shore. When they were back on land, Oyate laid the man out and Ilyta couldn’t have been more excited. He was still breathing. Thoughts began racing in her head. What is his name? Which island is he from? What will they tell the elders? She decided they must keep him a secret for now. Wait until they can find some answers from him before they reveal him to the village. There were woods about a hundred feet from the beach, and to the south there was a clearing. They could carry him there and wait. It wouldn’t be long now, because just as they were entering the woods, he started moaning. Calling someone’s name. Andrell. Was that his name? Or had someone else been with him? She only saw one person. Better to not think of that right now. If there had been two, one was lost now. Wait and see what this man says.

"Are you ok?" Brodi asked.

She nodded, "Yes. thank you" she said smiling.

Brodi leaned up to her and took the bandage off her forehead.

She pulled away in pain. A bruise was already forming.

"What's your name?" Brodi asked.

she waited a few seconds and said "Nez." she looked confused.

"Well i'm Brodi."

They smiled at each other, and Brodi got up and went over to the fire

where the soup sitting. He pulled out two bowls which he had carved,

and poured the soup into the bowls. He put one bowl by himself and

handed Nez a bowl. She grabbed it, and took a big whiff of the smell.

Brodi took a few bites of the soup and then got up to go get water from

the lake. When he got back Nez was done with her soup, She was

sitting there licking her lips.

Brodi stared at her for a second and said "Where do you get your food?"

she got up and said "I'll show you." they walked out of the cave and

headed down a trail.

Im having fun as well.

You can speak for my person too..

Spoiler for Also...:

I wasn't planning to do anything "weird"

Here's everything that has happened so far. We wrote a book: 7257 words...not even kidding. This took me over an hour to get together in order.

Nero's story:

My character is Nero, a native of Elipson-26. He used to think that his island was the only island until he saw a bird fly to near him. Nero knows the island like the back of his hand, but never has he seen a bird before. This made him think if there are other islands like his out there. He told his father about this, but his father said that there are no other islands and what he was saying is complete blasphemy. He dismissed the thought from his mind. Right now it is dark; Nero is on top of the mountain on his island staring at the stars. He is thinking about how and why he is there (on the island).

Nero fell asleep on top of the mountain. It started to snow while he was asleep. His girlfriend Eve came up to him wondering why he hasn't come back. She knew the mountain was his favorite spot to go to. She approached him and he woke up. Eve sat down beside Nero and they kissed.

"You're going to freeze up here hun."

"Ill be fine babe." They cuddled together and started to talk. "Hey Eve, do you think there's anything beyond this island?"

"I don't know. I never thought about it."

Nero and Eve fell asleep on top of the mountain. By the time morning came, they were covered in a deep blanket of snow. Nero's best friend Titus climbed the mountain to search for them. When he reached the top, he fell through the snow and landed right on top of the sleeping couple. After whitewashing Titus for his intrusive awakening, they hiked back to their village. Titus couldn't wait to get home to his girlfriend Cynn. Suddenly there was this dense feeling in the air, and the three of them started screaming because the pressure was squeezing their heads. The screaming continued until they were unconscious on the ground.

Nero woke up and saw a herald looking over them. He saw that he was in his house in the village. He sat up and asked the herald what happened. He said it was a glitch in the system. This confused Nero, so he dismissed the thought. He looked around and saw Titus and Cynn talking. He noticed that Eve was still sleeping right next to him.

"She took a real beating." said the herald. "Hit her head on a rock."

Titus Came over just then and said "The herald said she might die unless given proper care. If left here, she will die."

"SHE CAN'T DIE" shouted Nero.

"I am going to take her to my land where she can be treated properly. The problem is, once there she can never come back." said the herald.

"Then I'll come with you." said Nero.

"I am not allowed to do that. It's risky enough taking Eve back with me." Everyone sat in silence. "I must be going now. Don't worry about your friend; she’ll be fine with me." He took Eve in his arms and went to his canoe. Nero, Titus, and Cynn watched him vanish in the sea.

"I am going to see Eve again, even if it's the last thing I do." Said Nero.

"We will come with you." Said both Titus and Eve. Later that night, while the village was asleep, they got to work on building a boat. They have much experience in construction, so the boat wasn't that hard for them. When they were done, it was the biggest boat they have ever seen. It was large enough to hold up to 20 men.

"We will set sail at dawn." Said Nero after they loaded the boat with provisions.

Zetsu’s story:

Zetsu is sitting at the apex of the highest peak on Epsilon-13, only known to others of the island as the Mystic Mountain. Many mind venturers have climbed the dangerous crag to speak with the legendary Zetsu seeking his bountiful wisdom, and almost all of them were completely disregarded as if they did not exist. No one dared attack Zetsu for fear of his magical powers, most of which could be attributed to gossip and bedtime stories. Very rarely will Zetsu speak to anyone. But today, Zetsu was most impressed with the young brother and sister who had approached him one hour ago. He began by merely listening to them ramble on and on and then there was a long silence between the three.

Then, both unexpected and welcome, the young Epsilonian girl, Hinata, asked if Zetsu believed there are other islands than their home of Epsilon-13. Zetsu partly opened his eyes to see the world for the first time in months. This had been a question that had plagued the wise one all his life, only he had been warned in a dream when he was a youth to never venture the seas in search of other islands until a young pair of siblings seeks him out and not only has thought of the same revolutionary idea but is also prepared to join him.

Zetsu slowly walked over to them and clasped both of their shoulders and spoke softly between them. They both wore grins from ear to ear. When Zetsu returned to his spot of meditation the two each dropped to a knee and swore allegiance to Zetsu as their mental and spiritual master. For the first time in his life, Zetsu took on a couple apprentices.

Four weeks later, Zetsu woke the young siblings up 2 hours earlier than normal. He had trained them hard over the last month. They had come to learn that the legends of Zetsu's magic were indeed wrong, but the truth behind the actual man was far more interesting than a common fantasy. Zetsu was capable of maximizing his body's potential in a vast array of fields. His new apprentices had just begun to master handling the harsh conditions so high up the Mystic Mountain: a feat Zetsu made to appear as commonplace as breathing. The people of Epsilon 13 did indeed call it the Mystic Mountain, but Zetsu alone knew it as quite something else.

Today would be Neji and Hinata's first day of rest since they began training under Zetsu. He told them he would reveal the true name of the mountain to them tonight and finally after a long relaxing day, the sun began to dip below the horizon. Zetsu felt full of energy as he guided the twins around the peak of the mountain to the dark side which was seldom seen from below by those of Epsilon 13. Before they arrived, Zetsu lept in front of them with an almost frightening display of agility and shouted to the sky: "Don't think that tonight's full moon is a coincidence kids! You came to me on the night of the new moon just as was foretold in my dream. Hence, I have trained you for a month just as I had been asked. Now watch as the full moon reveals the truth of this mountain to your young eyes!"

Just as Zetsu finished speaking the sun disappeared entirely from the sky and a large cloud slowly revealed the full moon behind it. The light of the moon showcased the unimaginable to Neji and Hinata. There, at the distant edge of the ocean was an island! It was too far to make anything out, but it was there! What they had been dreaming of all their life now stood before them. Slack-jawed, they stood gaping at it as Zetsu added the finishing touch to the moment: "Behold the true identity of Moonlight Watcher."

Zetsu walked almost parallel to the ground as he guided his less nimble apprentices down the steeper parts of Moon Watcher. As they descended, the air began to retain more and more moisture until they finally felt the soothing steamy heat near the mountain's base. Neji found it difficult to believe that the air could ever be so cold as it was at Moon Watcher's peak; he took this to be a precursor for the many new experiences he would soon have.

In such a short time, Neji and Hinata's personal growth was remarkable, even for such a skilled teacher as Zetsu. It seemed to the Wise One that this indeed was the will of the DIETY System, for he couldn't have found two better apprentices if he searched his whole life, and these two sought him out!

After allowing the kids a few hours to visit with friends and family, Zetsu waisted no more time in their training. He ran hard with them for about two miles until they exited the heavy foliage of the the Tranquil Forest and into the large area of rock gardens and fire pits they had cleared away for their Shamanic rituals. Zetsu was once a Shaman of Epsilon 13, but now that seemed like a previous life. Perhaps it was, he thought to himself and barely began a smile.

Zetsu came to an abrupt halt in the center of the clearing. The sun's rays dazzled across his still form, standing straight, head raised, arms slightly spread at his sides, the long sleeves of his robe hiding his hands. Noticing Zetsu's attire, for what seemed like the first time, Hinata inquired about the pendant slightly swaying across his chest. "This..." Zetsu paused as he lifted the pendant up to his line of sight. "...this is my question to ask."

Having known Zetsu for even such a little while, the kids knew that the topic was closed and so asked perhaps a more pertinent question. Neji reviewed the landscape once more and asked: "Master Zetsu, what are we doing on these sacred grounds in the daytime?" Zetsu turned to him sharply. "Neither of your minds are focused right now!...sigh...Well, perhaps I can answer that question and remedy your impatience in one fell swoop." (Zetsu made the sweeping hand gesture and clutching hand motion to fully demonstrate just how ensnared the two had gotten into his web).

"This is a good spot to see many parts of the forest at once. I'm looking for the most suitable wood."

"For what, Master?"

"You and your brother are going to build a raft. And you're going to build it fast."

Ravine’s story:

My character is Ravine, a young girl who has a passion for the wildlife of Epsilon-14. She goes goes out everyday to play with the animals of the jungle. She knows that her island is not the only one, for she can she a distant island, barely visible on the horizon. Right now she is sitting from a tree branch, feeding a chimp she had raised since its mother died, wondering what the people on the other island are like.

Athena’s story:

Athena is in her late teens and is a native of Epsilon-7. She is always curious about things and is a nature lover. She lives with her parents on the island. Painting and sketching come to her naturally and she is a very talented artist. Being a day dreamer and , she dreams of leaving the island one day and wants to explore the outside world. One day while sitting on the beach and painting the picture of the sunset, she wonders when she will get a chance to leave Epsilon- 7...Her optimism helps her and she mutters to herself.."soon that day will come...."

Brodi and Nez’s stories:

My character is Brodi from Elipson-17. Brodi is a very creative, open-minded man.

He was a very skilled hunter and scavenger. He knew the island well (his side anyway)

He has a black lab name Rocky, Rocky is his hunting dog.

They lived on the west side of the island, and explored the island each day.

Brodi had never met anyone else and wondered if there was anyone else out there...

I am Nez. I also live on Epsilon 17...on the east side of the island. I am a loner, a recluse, spending most of my time hidden away deep inside a cave when I have made myself a comfortable home. I have no interest in exploring the island and no curiocity about the existance of others or of the Diety System. I accept that I am alone and like it that way. On the occation that I find myself lacking sustanance, I venture out of my cave only long enough to fish and hunt and gather the food that I need to survive.

My cave sets mid-way up a cliff face on the rocky shore of East Epsilon 17. I can see no other islands. However, just the oher day, when I emerged from the depths of my cave, preparing to go in search of food, I saw off in the horizon something unlike anything I had ever seen before. It was a long, narrow vessle riding ON TOP of the water! There seemed to be at least one unfamiliar being aboard. Startled and completely terrified, I retreated back into the dark of my cave and did not dare return to the sunlight for days.

Today Brodi and rocky went hunting.

Rocky had caught two rabbits and brodi had found a new fruit tree,

which he marked so he could later come back a gather more food from.

Brodi took rocky and the food back to the cave which they had lived in and cooked the rabbits.

Later they went out and got a drink from the lake by the cave when rocky picked up a scent.

He started barking (which he doesn't usually do). Brodi wonder what it was.

Could there be something else out there? he thought. Rocky never barks unless there was a new scent.

They went back to the cave and turned in for the night.

, Nez, having finally shaken off the chill of witnessing the existance of a being similar but not wholly like myself, have gathered the courage to go foraging in the wilderness of my home island, Epsilon 17. While gathering wild fruit, more deeply into the forrest than I am comfortable with, I hear, off in the distance, the echos of a barking beast. This sound, although animal in nature, is nothing like the familiar grunts of the wild bore I have learned to avoid.

My thoughts begin to race. What else is out there? First, strange beings that seem to hover on the water, now the call of strange animals! I am frightened and once again retreat to my cave.

Today Rocky and I went exploring further on the island.

It was a large island and we had only explored about one third of it so far..

Later that night Rocky picked up that scent again. So he took off towards it.

I heard barking in the distance, but fell back asleep.

He didn't come back that night... or the next day.

Nez awoke to the sound of a snarling beast right outside her cave. She jumped to her feet and snatched her weapon, a long twig she had sharpened at both ends to a fine, deadly point. She lit a torch, which was an effective tool to ward off the boars she had encountered on the island, and slowly creapt along the darkest wall of the cave. Her heart raced, her breathing quickened, her hands began to shake and sweat. Nez, afterall, was quite small for her age (...well, she did not actaully know her age, she only knew that her body had begun to change in weird ways and every so often she would, for no reason, and without being wounded, bleed.) and her tiny physique was unevenly matched against the larger boars on the island. Her weapons were her only hope. As she neared the mouth of the cave the daylight blinded her...she paused to let her eyes adjust. While her world was still a blur, she snarliung grew closer. She squinted to see through her sun-blinded haze a hairy beast, smaller than a boar but large enough to take her on...and it was in pouncing possition. She raised her spear and threw with all of her might, but with her poor vision she spear whizzed far left of the beast. It began to approach her. She could see it more clearly now. It was covered in thick, soft-looking fur from head to toe. It golden in color and had a long bushy tail. She had never seen such a creature! She took a step back, waving her torch infront of her. As she stepped back, she tripped and the torch flew from her hands...she was defenseless. The creature ran and leapt!

It bounded right on top of her legs...and then something strange happened. The beast began to wave it's long tail then it let loose of it's long wet tongue. The beasts drool dripped on Nez's chest...she screamed! Just then she felt something warm and wet against her face. Her eyes open to see the beast licking her and shaking it's hind end faster than ever. It was not going to kill her...in fact it seemed fond of her. For the first time in her life, Nez had a friend.

After i relized Rocky hadn't came back, i got really worried.

he never stays away from me for too long. So i packed my stuff and went looking for him.

I head towards the east side of the island my gear and searched for rocky.

I looked for hours and hours. I came by two different lakes.

I named one "Love Lake" because of it's heart shaped pattern.

"Rocky!!!... Come Here Rocky!!!" I shouted. i looked for about another hour.

and then i heard it... rocky's bark!! i ran for my life towards the sound.

i came through bushes into a clearing.

right in front of me stood a cave... "ROCKY!!!"...

Nez and her new companion, the furry beast, were enjoying a meal by the fire when it raised it's nose to the air and began to sniff. "What is it friend?" Nez asked the beast "Are we in danger?" Nez felt much safer with the beast as her ally. Then it stopped suddenly, stood perfectly still and perked up it's ears. And just as the beast had done when it pounced on her early that morning, it began to shake it's hind-end and flagged it's long fluffy tail. The beast seemed excited and began to run in circles...then bolted up out of the depth of the cave toward the moonlight. "Friend! Wait!!" Nez started after it. As she rounded the bend toward the mouth of the cave she heard his bark and saw the beast leaping up and down. Her eyes popped...something was behind the beast. Nez saw the dark contour of a figure much like her own. "AAAAWE!" She froze in fear, and her heart skipped a beat. The figure startled and turned to look right at her. It began to speak words that she somehow understood but did not have a chance to process or respond to because at that very instant her vision tunneled to black and she fell forward, slamming her tiny figure against the jagged floor of the cave...unconscious.

Brodi had never seen this girl on the island before...

He got this weird feeling when he looked at her. he didn't know what it was.

He picked her up and brought her into the cave. he pulled a mat out of his pack and layed it out for.

He lay her on the mat and noticed a cut on her forehead. he pacthed her up and grab some food out.

Brodi had never seen another person since he was a boy.. he contiued cooking the food and waited.

after about an hour she still hadn't shown any signs of waking up so Brodi took the food off the already

built fire and layed out another mat. he layed down on the mat and feel asleep.

Nez's head throbbed and as she slowly re-enter consiousness she was aware of her pain. Though her eyes were still closed she could hear heavy breathing next to her. "My beasty friend." she thought...but then she remembered the figure and the voice and...she remembered nothing after that. She reached up to her pounding head and found it wrapped in a bandage of some sort. She rolled to her side, opened one eye, and strained for it to come into focus. That is when she saw him. The figure. The being that was made like her.

He was sleeping soundly only a few feet away from her...and Friend was comfortably asleep at his feet. She was surprised to realize that she was not afraid. In fact, this was the first time in as long as she could remember that she was not afraid. She tried to sit up, but felt dizzy and nauseous and had to lay back down. And what was this she was laying on? It was some sort of make-shift bedding. She noticed the stranger was resting on a similar bed. Why was he being kind to her? Who was this being that looked so much like herself?

She studied him closely as he continued to sleep. He was longer than her, broader too. His hair was thick but not matted. He was a similar breed alright, but something seemed a little different. She gingerly stretched out her arm and with her finger gave him a swift poke at his breast. She was right. He was not as pillowy as she was. As soon as she withdrew her finger his eyes opened wide and he sat upright. He stared for a moment, still laying on her mat, then he spoke. This time when he spoke she had her wits enough to comprehend him; "Well, Hello" he said softly with a deep raspyness to his voice, "I was beginning to think you would never wake up." He smiled. Nez smiled back.

"Are you ok?" Brodi asked.

She nodded, "Yes. thank you" she said smiling.

Brodi leaned up to her and took the bandage off her forehead.

She pulled away in pain. A bruise was already forming.

"What's your name?" Brodi asked.

she waited a few seconds and said "Nez." she looked confused.

"Well i'm Brodi."

They smiled at each other, and Brodi got up and went over to the fire

where the soup sitting. He pulled out two bowls which he had carved,

and poured the soup into the bowls. He put one bowl by himself and

handed Nez a bowl. She grabbed it, and took a big whiff of the smell.

Brodi took a few bites of the soup and then got up to go get water from

the lake. When he got back Nez was done with her soup, She was

sitting there licking her lips.

Brodi stared at her for a second and said "Where do you get your food?"

she got up and said "I'll show you." they walked out of the cave and

headed down a trail.

Andrell and Ilyta’s story:

Andrell believes himself to have been a happy young man at one point. However, he had no memory dating back more than a few days. His earliest memory was of a fire that consumed the island of Epsilon 3 on which he lived. There were Four (including himself) that lived on the island. Though afterwards, once all the plants and wildlife were desecrated, only Andrell, his sibling, and another epsilonian were remaining.

They spent days walking the island, looking for something, anything for sustenance, but to no avail. The only things they were able to find were the easily carved half-burned trees, and the two islands that were observable from the shore. On one side of Epsilon 3, easily visible but well beyond swimming distance, was Epsilon 2 which appeared to be a wasteland. There were no trees to be observed, only distant echoes of animalistic sounds, and a strange glow the could only be seen at night, like the whole island was on fire.

The island on the other side (Epsilon 4) was green, but it was too far away to tell anything else. However, green is good, Andrell knew that it means life, and food, were plentiful there.

So that was it, the three began to do the only thing they could with the resources they had. They picked a few heavy shells from the ocean, and began to carve down a few of the trees. The problem was, at the rate that it took to cut down a tree (even half burned) with seashell, it would take weeks to create something that could be used to cross the waters. So with failing strength and a deep uncontrollable hunger, one night the siblings resorted to cannibalize the third Epsilonian. They didn't want to at first, but it was necessary. Though Andrell didn't seem to mind much, in fact, he seemed to enjoy it.

With renewed strength and a short supply of "food" remaining, the two continued their work on hollowing out the tree which was large enough to seat only themselves, in a last-ditch effort to make it across the waters to Epsilon 4.

Ilyta is a young woman who lives on Epsilon 4. In addition to her parents, 2 younger siblings, paternal grandmother and fraternal grandfather, there are 4 other families. Over the years they have made themselves a pretty happy life. They all share in tasks on the island. They have helped make each others huts and taken care of each others family members as if they were their own. Ilyta remembers when her grandmother became sick with the disease that crippled her and finally took her life. The old woman who is married to the wise man brought some roots and herbs that she had mixed into a paste and rubbed it all over her grandmother. The wise man said it would not work, she was too sick. He was right. Her grandmother died. Everyone joined in sending her grandmother to the place the heralds come from. No one really knew where the heralds come from or why they came to them. The wise man said when the heralds come, just feed them and give them drink. She wondered why that was because they never ate or drank and always seemed to be trying to give them a message. After the heralds would leave she would often sit on the beach wondering about the other island she could see in the distance. Wondering if the people lived there as well, and if they did, did the heralds go to them as well? She knew better than to talk about her thoughts. The wise man once told her brother and her to never worry about the island. It would only bring trouble. One day as she was sitting on the beach, looking at the island in the distance, she noticed a boat on the water coming towards her. She got up and started towards her home to tell the people the heralds were coming. But something wasn’t right about this boat. It did not seem like it was of the same splendor that the heralds boats were. But what could it possibly be? They were the only people weren’t they? Nobody else goes in the water besides the heralds. She was very intrigued and decided to stand and wait for the boat to hit the shore. She would find out who and what was on it.

Unlike his sibling Andrell, Hector had a very good memory. He remembered the days before the fire on Epsilon 3, he was a happy young man. Except for the torturous bullying from another Epsilonian named Brock. There were three Epsilonians that Hector knew of (including himself) before the fire. Brock, the one that bullied him (the one that died in the fire), was the sole source of unhappiness in Hector's life. Perhaps it was some divine intervention that caused the fire to take Brock's life in his sleep? It must have been, because Hector had no idea how the fire started. The other Epsilonian, Quincy, was always very nice to Hector. It was strange, but Hector had no recollection of having met his sibling Andrell prior to the fire that took the life of that bully. But Hector knew him to be his sibling, Andrell and Hector looked exactly alike and talked alike, their only difference is that they had thoughts and views of the world very different from each other. In fact, Quincy (the one they had cannibalized), never knew the difference between them either. Actually, before his death, Quincy had never even talked to Andrell....

Finally, Hector and Andrell looked down at the small canoe they had finished hollowing out. It was a strange incidence of mixed fortune. Even though they constantly alternated shifts working on the tree, it had taken them twice as long as expected to hollow it out. But on the flip side, the "food" had lasted twice as long as expected between the two of them. So with just enough "food" remaining to make the trip to Epsilon 4, Hector and Andrell hopped into the canoe and headed away from the shore of Epsilon 3. They had only made one ore, so they alternated turns, while one rested the other would row them closer to the next shore. It was perfect weather for the voyage, very smooth waters and a cool breeze. As Hector took his break, he looked over the edge of the canoe into the water. He couldn't see anything, then his eyes focused on the reflection in the water, and he saw Andrell's demonic little smile looking back at him.

As Ilyta waited for the strange boat to come closer to shore, she sat and remembered. She remembered her grandmother before she died and the stories she told. Her grandmother was the only one who ever had different ideas about their lives and the lives of the heralds. She had once told Ilyta when she was younger that she had questioned about the other island that they could see in the distance, and was punished for her curiosity. After that she never voiced to anyone besides Ilyta about her thoughts. She also cautioned her to never bring it up her own thoughts to anyone else. Ilyta asked her grandmother, had no one in their history ever been curious before? Grandmother said that no one in the previous 97 generations of life on Epsilon 4, had ever passed down stories of being curious, so she didn’t know.

Ilyta was shaken from her memories by the sound of someone approaching her from behind. Startled she jumped up to see her friend Oyate coming towards her. ‘What are you doing sitting here by the beach?’ Oyate asked her. Unsure of what was heading her way in the water, and remembering grandmother’s cautions, she assured Oyate that she was listening to the sounds of the waves gently lapping at the beach. Oyate started to turn and leave, when she too noticed the boat. Before she could catch what she was saying, Oyate said, I wonder if this is again the heralds or if it could be something else finally. Oyate quickly clasped her hand over her mouth and look at Ilyta to see her reaction. Ilyta was shocked but excited, could she actually be curious about the other island as she was. The boat was coming closer now; close enough to see a figure on the boat, and it was not a herald. Ilyta and Oyate grasped each others hands and held their breath. Waiting…..

As Andrell began to take his turn rowing the boat he looked out into the distance at Epsilon 4. He could finally make out the shoreline of the approaching island! He could even almost make out individual trees from this distance, so he knew that he was nearly a mile away. In fact, he thought he just might be able to make out a couple figures on the shore! “There’s no way there could be anyone else” he thought. Just then his feet felt cool and wet. Andrell looked down and saw that the ashy shell of the hollowed tree was compromised. Though his canoe had been easier to hollow out because of the burning, he failed to predict the susceptibility of the weakened wood to water erosion. So he planted his foot over the hole and tried to continue paddling. However, the pressure from his foot fractured the hole and made it larger!

Now they were sinking fast, and Hector knew that Andrell was not a good swimmer. So it was up to him to swim both of them nearly a mile to the shore of Epsilon 4. Hector abandoned the canoe and with a death-grip he took the oar with him as a pathetic flotation device (it wasn’t nearly enough to keep him afloat, let alone Andrell.) Even though Hector rolled over to his back and kicked for what seemed to be an eternity, he had never swam such a distance before. Eventually his strength began to fail him as he could no longer keep afloat…. and they were so close….

Ilyta gasped. She thought she had noticed something happened to the boat coming towards shore, and now she was sure of it. It was definitely not a herald because the boat had now sunk and the person was starting to go under the water. Oyate froze with fear as Ilyta ran and jumped into the water. Ilyta had never been a strong swimmer, and had certainly never ventured out into the water further than over her head. But she had to reach this person. The questions that could be answered just by proving there might be life on other islands. Concentrating, putting one arm in front of another, she finally reached the person. It was a man, not much older than she. She reached out for him, grabbed him and then panicked. How was she supposed to bring him to the shore? She was definitely not that good of a swimmer. Oyate had come to her senses as Ilyta hit the water, and she was right behind her. She grabbed this man and told Ilyta to hurry because she was unable to drag 2 people back to shore. When they were back on land, Oyate laid the man out and Ilyta couldn’t have been more excited. He was still breathing. Thoughts began racing in her head. What is his name? Which island is he from? What will they tell the elders? She decided they must keep him a secret for now. Wait until they can find some answers from him before they reveal him to the village. There were woods about a hundred feet from the beach, and to the south there was a clearing. They could carry him there and wait. It wouldn’t be long now, because just as they were entering the woods, he started moaning. Calling someone’s name. Andrell. Was that his name? Or had someone else been with him? She only saw one person. Better to not think of that right now. If there had been two, one was lost now. Wait and see what this man says.

Josh’s story:

I am josh. I live on epslon 23. I have no family that i know of. I love to fish. I am curious about new ways to fish and how to get more fish.(at least im curious about something even if it is very small ) I also enjoy making fires and ofcource eating the fish i catch!

I normaly fish with my bare hand(which isnt very effective), so today I took the husk of a cocconut to make a line. Then, i made a small hook made from a hard black roch that I use to make fires. Finaly i attached the guts of other fish i have caught for bait. Then i threw the hook into the water. With this new thechnique I caught many more fish. Then i guted them and saved the guts for bait tomorow. I start a fire and cook and eat my wonderful catch. A very productive day!

Last night a saw a strange mountain faraway. I was very scared. It was a breach of scedual!(i know i spelled wrong)Today i just sat and ate my remaining fish.

Frog’s story:

Epsilon 19:

Frog is feeling ill. Days of eating only fruit have taken their toll. He feels like he ought to know how to do more than just forage, but he doesn't. Why didn't he learn more in his childhood? Where are his family? How did he come to be alone here? The questions are brushed away as they occur to him. He can't think about the past.

He stumbles about the island and finds more fruit. It only takes him 3 minutes to walk all around the small island. There are a few large rodents living in a burrow in the middle of the trees. Perhaps he could eat them.

Frog swims patiently, around and around the small island. One lap. Then another. Then another. At one point, he feels as though he is being watched. Glancing over to the beach he sees Chip sitting on a rock, observing him. Frog smiles and carries on. Frog still has scars on his forearms from his first clumsy attempts at catching the rodents. As it turns out, they had quite an impressive will to live. But so did Frog. His hunting skills became more efficient with practice, and as his constitution became accustomed to eating raw meat, so his strength started to return. One by one he took the rodents as he needed them. Now there is only Chip, the fastest and strongest of the bunch. Frog has grown quite fond of Chip, and watched with interest as Chip left the burrow and explored the island, looking for safer places to hide. It was at that point that he thought up a name for Chip, deeming him worthy of an identity. Frog admires Chip's tenacity, and his ability to move on and do what it takes to survive. But Chip will not survive. There is no good hiding place on the island and Chip cannot swim. Frog, on the other hand, is a natural swimmer. He has been training hard for weeks, aware that when the food runs out, he must move on.

Between Epsilon 19 and Epsilon 18:

This could have been a mistake. There were two possible destinations visible from Frog's island, and this one seemed to be both nearer and greener. But after a couple of hours of swimming, it didn't seem much nearer than it had at the start. Frog was starting to tire. Looking back, Epsilon 19 seemed far away, but not nearly so far as his destination. To carry on may be suicide. But if he turned back, death would be even more certain. He did not have the resources to survive. All the meat was gone. Frog felt a pang of regret. The rodent Chip had been the nearest thing he had to a friend. Was it wrong to eat him? Had he brought a curse upon himself? As he swam, he cried tears of sorrow, tears of desperation.

Epsilon 18, several hours later:

Frog staggers from the surf, collapsing face down at the water's edge. He feels the sun on his back and wants it to give him energy, but it is not enough. He wills himself not to pass out. The tide could take him back out. He must move. His head pushes round in the sand to see the tree line, so far away. He has to find food. He has made it to the island, but is closer to death than ever before. Just as he is preparing himself to move, the muscle cramps come and seize both his legs, sapping vital energy. The pain seems vague and distant. He waits for it to pass, then makes his move. Lurching forward he manages six steps up the beach, head spinning, before collapsing in the sand, unconscious.

Sengal’s story:

Light... Pain... Excrutiating Pain... And then his eyes were open and he was awash in relief. He had explored the infinites of the ocean surrounding him and so too the stars that littered across his night sky. He felt powerful. He had knowledge. He knew something more than he did the day he retired into his slumber.

Segnal had finished applying the last bit of bandaging to the wounds. He did not know the woman he was treating. She'd been there before. She had been wounded then too. Her skin was cleaved by lashes undoubtedly from the this spine of a palm leaf. He felt nothing. No curiosity to know who did this to her. No compassion for her painful circumstances. He did not even feel his absence of empathy. He left for the cliff the same time he left everyday - when the sun was a thumb's width above the watery horizon. As he watched the sun set, he was sated. There were no visits today. Why not? No one had arrived again and Segnal had lost count of how many sunsets had passed since their last arrival. Segnal yearned for them. They knew more than he did. They always told him something he did not know. He yearned for knowledge. As Segnal turned around, he started thinking. Maybe knowledge is not acquired. It is created. Created by solitude. Created by reflection. Created by the synthesis of emotion and intellect. He collapsed where he was. He had unlatched his burdensome bodily function. He then started picking up fragments of his experience. He was building something from these fragments and he built on and on... Until he had finished. As he stepped back to admire this knowledge he had assembled from nothing but his heart, mind and soul, he looked up and could not fathom the magnitude of his construction. Then he felt the pain of the light and woke up from his slumber.

He tried to stand, but he couldn't. He tried to speak, but he croaked. He lay there emaciated. He wondered how many sunsets it had been since he turned his back to it. He looked at his thigh. The wound he had had before his slumber was completely healed. That meant he had lay there at least fifteen sunsets. He was wet. He was thirsty. He was hungry. He was immobile. He also felt more powerful than anyone on Epsilon 16. Segnal lay there helpless; Helpless but powerful!

Castor’s story:

Epsilon-2

Castor woke up on a cold sweat in the morning. The dream he just had just shook the foundations of his world. he dreamed his long dead mother had called to him, and told him that he was meant to leave the island with the others (Castor wondered about this, because the only person he had ever seen on the island was himself, and of course how would he leave?) he was to build a boat and make it his first priority to find the other epsilon islands.

Of course he believed this, but he had his doubts. How would he fair in the rest of the world? What if he drowned? what if, what if, what if! he caught himself what-ifing, and took action before it led him to procrastination. He started to look around the island, when he suddenly saw a boat drawing up on the shore.

Edited by giterdone

Here's everything that has happened so far. We wrote a book: 7257 words...not even kidding. This took me over an hour to get together in order.

Oh-Em-Gee

that is crazy.. this should be published ;):lol:

You should definetly make a novel. Heck, I'd read it, the plot is already interesting.

Suggestion: Have each post be its own chapter (maybe add to them to make them a little longer).

You should definetly make a novel. Heck, I'd read it, the plot is already interesting.

Suggestion: Have each post be its own chapter (maybe add to them to make them a little longer).

It would be Fricken Sweet..

of course we would have to make them a little longer.. mine are pretty short :lol:

of course we would have to make them a little longer.. mine are pretty short :lol:

Yeah thar's why I suggested making them longer for the novel, otherwise they would be less than a page each.

I was thinking the same thing while I was getting your posts together. We could make each paragraph/post a few pages longer. I know what the standard book format is in Mic word. I also saved it on my flash drive.

I also think we should finish this before we make it longer.

We should post this in the

iZOMG! forum so we can let TR people see it as well.

The next morning, Nero, Titus, and Cynn met at the ship. Cynn was wearing different clothes. These look like the clothes of an outsider. she wore a red cloth tied on top of her head (a bandana, but Nero and Titus don't know this).

"What's with these strange clothes?" Titus asked. "I've never seen anything like them before."

"It's nothing to worry about." Said Cynn.

were readying the boat when all of the villagers came to see what was going on.

"It if forbidden to leave this island." Said the chief. "Once you leave, you will be banished. You might never be able to come back."

"So be it. We have to find Eve. She means a lot to us, espescailly me." Said Nero.

"But you could die out there. You don't even know where you're going." Said the chief.

"That's a risk we're willing to take." Said Cynn. They shoved off and drifted into the unknown sea. THe villagers were still watching them even after they were out of sight. THey kept on drifting for hours. "The wind is strong today. We are going to cover a great distance."

"How do you know so much about sailing Cynn?" Asked Titus.

"The other village on the island that I came from wasn't my birthplace." Said Cynn. "I was born a few islands away. My homeland was a group of 5 islands that were close to eachother. We had to use ships to get from one island to another. These islands were called the Herald Islands. My dad was a merchant in the Captial town of Salmet. He taught me how to build boats and sails. He taught me everything I know."

"How did you end up on our island then?" Said Nero.

"I was making a run to one of the smaller islands during a thunderstorm, and my ship was struck by lightning. I washed up on your ilsand. The people of the other village found me and were horrified. They saw my strange clothes and knew that there were people othen than themselves. In order to keep this a secret from your village, they said that I was kept hidden from society due to illness. Everyone belived them and treated me as if I was one of them. I couldn't wear my old clothes anymore, so I hid them from sight."

"Are the clothes you're wearing right now your old clothes?" Titus asked.

"Yes they are." Said Cynn. "I finally had the chance to wear them again."

"So this father of yours, is he still alive?" Nero asked.

"I belive he is, though it's been 3 years since I've last seen him." Said Cynn.

"Where are the Herald Islands which you spoke of." Said Nero.

"They are east of here." Replied Cynn.

"I think we should pay him a visit." Said Titus.

"My thoughts exactly." Said Nero.

"Really?" Said Cynn as tears of joy ran down her face. She hugged them both and said "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!"