BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

[Lol. :P But that's OK since Savage was not previously here he's not able to eavesdrop.]

Gregor:

*Gregor drops the Russian accent too. He learnt English from the best.*

Scout, please go scout ahead to region 3.

Savage, my attack earlier was partially under the influence of the lichens hallucinogen. Did you kidnap me and Vick? Did you steal the rations?

And at all, who the hell is Calcutta anyway?

copying this from where I posted it in a PM somewhere: (by the way, I don't know if this was clear, but the original base camp was 0, the first part of the staircase with the fall-thru ice was 1. The plateau was between 1 and 2. The divided staircase was region 2. Now you are at the hot lake, which is an area of rest between regions 2 and 3. The sanctuary was estimated to be region 5 by Scout in the initial surveying of the mountain from below)

Gregor, you have had no questions related to me or Kirk. In fact, I was the first person to deny any wrongdoing, which you could have easily checked with God (UR). You're denying me food because I took a modest amount earlier and walked away from the group because you guys weren't moving? Where is the fairness in that? Unless you want me to starve to death, give me my fair share.

Gregor:

Brother Mandrake, I did not ask another direct question to you, but still know you're withholding information from me. Also, both you and Kirkpatrick were so eager to go up, even without Scout. You both should have been more careful about rations then.

Gregor can give you a free-tip, though. You can both make it to where Gregor took what he's eating now with 3 rations if you cooperate among themselves. Say more to Gregor and you might get more tips and increase your chances of survival.

Now, regarding Calcutta, what is "old pond"? Gregor not versed in this. Gregor thinks old pond = Japan. Anyone know more? If it is Japan I would like to restrain him till he says more about what he does here. Vice-Admiral, if you would be so kind to help.

Also, we need to know what Savage and Calcutta eat, don't we? An inexhaustible source of food would puzzle even the great Doctor, would it not? Doctor, can you take a look at their bags and see what they eat? Klein, lend a hand to that if you want.

Edited by araver

I am not withholding any information relevant to this expedition, the outcome of this expedition, anyone's death, anyone's kidnapping, or anyone's food loss.

Gregor thinks you are very ego-centric when deciding what's relevant and what not. Also, you don't know if something only you know might help another one figure something about deaths/kidnapping.

But that is consistent with the rest of your personality. And Gregor is egocentric too sometimes, so meh. You get your tip *Gregor whispers tip*.

Kirk gets a running start and leaps into Gregor, tackling him to the ground. His fall is broken by a soft cushion of snow. Brother Mandrake takes out his sin cords, a magical spiritual device, allowing one person to be bound to another. The owner of the cords may release the person he has bound to himself whenever he wishes, but given the nature of the cords, all other forms of disconnection are impossible and dangerous to attempt. Brother Mandrake, a look of sorrow in his eyes, binds himself to Gregor. The magic is felt throughout the heavens, a strange but soothing disturbance manifesting itself in the air.

Gregor, frustrated, kicked, twirled, and bit to his fullest extent, but all attempts at escape were futile.

"I'm sorry..." announced Brother Mandrake shamefully, "but... you're showing clear signs of insanity, and are on a food substitute that no one here is convinced is good for you. Withholding food from mortal men on ridiculous grounds is unwarranted."

With that, Mandrake takes nine rations, bringing his and Kirk's total to twelve. Since they had not eaten anything of real substance that day, two would soon be downed hastily for the sake of survival.

"Gregor, you may still ask your questions, although you are partially immobilized. With good behavior, and a recovery from insanity as judged by the doctor, I will set you free. And I say this with a tad bit of irony, but henceforth, I would prefer you didn't attempt to slow down or compromise this expedition for anyone. You are doing police work. Anything God tells you will not suffice for a jury, and any evidence you obtain may risk being thrown out if it's been acquired without the proper warrants. That is all."

*edit* Aw, crap, just saw your post and PM. Boo for slow typing. Tip appreciated, but we can leave that source for the way down. I don't think it has done you well, my friend, but I can watch over you now. :)

Edited by Izzy

Gregor, I do understand your outburst and forgive you for it. I assumed that it was due to the lichen. I did not kidnap yourself or Vick and was one of the few that was most interested in finding you. Why do you suspect me in this? Have a shown any suspicion? Have I come after you? I am a peaceful man and do not wish to hurt or kill anyone! Yes, even Brother Mandrake! Haha, I jest! But, please explain to me why you think that I would attempt to hurt you in any way.

I did not take any food, either. I do not need food. My body has been trained to go without.

I must say that we are still ignoring one massive issue among us. Brontson was murdered. One of us has blood on his hands! How can we continue to ignore this?

The magic is felt throughout the heavens, a strange but soothing disturbance manifesting itself in the air.

I don't know about this part :P However he most certainly tackles Gregor and binds him with the rope used to climb out of the ice pit trap. The sun is about to set btw

Edited by unreality

Now, regarding Calcutta, what is "old pond"? Gregor not versed in this. Gregor thinks old pond = Japan. Anyone know more? If it is Japan I would like to restrain him till he says more about what he does here. Vice-Admiral, if you would be so kind to help.

The good ol' pond is the Atlantic Ocean separating the US from Europe. It's a way of saying Calcutta is actually English.

Gregor thinks you are very ego-centric when deciding what's relevant and what not. Also, you don't know if something only you know might help another one figure something about deaths/kidnapping.

Allow me to rephrase. I don't know anything about this expedition that has not been discussed in the main thread, with the exception of what Kirk and I discussed when given BTSC, but you guys were added to that conversation. I've done no successful investigating.

I don't know about this part :P

Meh, I meant from my person's perspective. He's religious and been eating lichen, remember? :P That's a whole combination of crazy.

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

Yes, Gregor, I suppose their might be one I am not aware of. If that is the case, I would imagine that neither of us would know the other, so that if one should fail, the other has a greater chance of succeeding.

Anyway, I will give my suspicions. I believe Brother Mandrake is after whatever is on or in this mountain. He is very eager to continue, and quick to go on without the rest of the group. He was also hasty to choose Kirkpatrick to go with him, so it seems that they have something planned together.

Yeah, Admiral, ready for the logic in that one? I would have thought I made myself clear enough. The sooner we get to the top, the sooner we get the hell out of here. One thing this mountain has given me is a hypothetical avalanche, in that Nischal has shaken my belief in the beloved Flying Spaghetti Monster. Rethinking my life, it has made me want to start a family, and re-attempt *sigh* love. Before I became a religious man, my wife had a mis-carriage that ended up killing both her and our daughter. This was well over twenty years ago, but what I have learned from being away from life is that life is beautiful, and I owe it to myself and this wonderful world to start over.

This is a path, I think, that God has sent me on, and I can only know for sure by making it to the top. I am a monk that lacks patience, but that is just one of many things to learn throughout the journey of life.

I am taking Kirk with me because he seems to be awake a lot, so he does a good job of MOVING and MAKING DECISIONS and NOT WASTING MY TIME *pats Gregor, kind of like one would pet a kitten*.

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

You say you want to get off the mountain, so why don't you? Because for some reason, you want to get to the top. I'm continuing, if only to keep an eye on you, and to do my job.

God, when it's day, the winds are too strong for us to go anywhere, but we're in a cave. The wind shouldn't be in here. Is some force stopping us from traveling during the day?

(Gregor, unless I let him go.. :unsure: )

how can Gregor go unless you guys roll him / push him / drag him? He's all tied up haha

God, when it's day, the winds are too strong for us to go anywhere, but we're in a cave. The wind shouldn't be in here. Is some force stopping us from traveling during the day?

what makes you think you're in a cave???

Based on some implications, that's what I assumed. Sorry. I guess I'm wrong.

haha no it's my fault for not being descriptive enough. The staircase goes up and flattens into a large flat space, covered in rocks and some snowfall but guarded from the massive snowbanks on all four sides by carved spires. Some kind of volcanic activity causes the hotspring. At the other end, the staircase continues up

(and it's true that the winds themselves are also buffered a bit by the spires too, though the staircase continues up from here unprotected as usual, in fact it gets even hairier).

Meanwhile if nobody saw: NIGHT FOUR HAS JUST BEGUN :)

Edited by unreality

I forgot to report back about the bags. John's bags had lichen in it, similar to what is here. I was not able to inspect Calcutta's bags as he refused to let me.

edited to add: I will wait for scout to do his job.

@Scout - I'd advise you to let Mandrake and Kirkpatrick to go first. As they are so willing to inspect ahead for more traps, we should graciously accept their offer.

Edited by DudleyDude