BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Nischal:

I have some information I believe I need to share with everyone. Earlier, I was checking up on Gregor. I had helped him with his frostbite before and wanted to make sure that the treatment was still working. I saw a figure enter his tent and drag him out. I could not tell if it was man or spirit. But I have looked into each of your eyes and have seen no indication that anyone has been stricken with the madness. We may not be alone. Sanrakshak may be near. I would love to look for our missing, but Gregor agreed with me that our number one priority should be survival. Please, let's reconsider returning, mayhaps we can regroup and attempt this expedition at another time. Unless someone can tell me a valid reason for continuing, beyond, so Brontson needn't have died in vain.

Edited by maurice

I would love to look for our missing, but Gregor agreed with me that our number one priority should be survival.

You spoke with Gregor in private before his disappearance?

--

My winter quarter is starting tomorrow. I may have plenty of time to keep playing... or I might not have any, in which case I'll need a replacement

You spoke with Gregor in private before his disappearance?

--

My winter quarter is starting tomorrow. I may have plenty of time to keep playing... or I might not have any, in which case I'll need a replacement

Nischal:

Why yes. As I said, I aided him in overcoming his frostbite.

ok good timing because Segul just came back from a trip and is ready to play. So if you need a replacement let me know and he can do it (if not also let me know so I can set up a different role for Segul).

Aand 6 or so hours

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

I think we should try to find Scout first. Without him, we're essentially blind.

Nischal:

It is interesting that you would say that and be so dismissive of Gregor. He had some reservations about you and seemed to suspect you in Brontson's death. I only gathered that he got whatever information he got from private conversations with you. Did you know that he thinks you're a liar? Are you responsible for his disappearance? Is there anything you should share with us about your accident?

Nischal:

It is interesting that you would say that and be so dismissive of Gregor. He had some reservations about you and seemed to suspect you in Brontson's death. I only gathered that he got whatever information he got from private conversations with you. Did you know that he thinks you're a liar? Are you responsible for his disappearance? Is there anything you should share with us about your accident?

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

All that I'm saying is that we should get Scout first. Then we can get Gregor. It is in my best interest to make sure that this expedition succeeds. And what do you want to know about my accident? I was discharged from the Navy. What's suspicious about that? And just for the record, I know nothing of any private conversations between me and Gregor. Unreality, is that something I should know about? All I want is a successful mission. That is all. And by the way, we're losing rations fast. We need to find that thief.

Willem:

If nobody sound anything, I proposed those who involved in the searching group will look for scout, then go for Gregor if the night still long enough.......

As for those who stay in tents will gathered toghther to prevent any unwanted things happened.

I would agree. The way things look at this time, it seems as if we aren't going anywhere. If the search group goes to look for Scout and Gregor, the rest may stay here to watch over the camp and work toward deciding what's to be done if our friends can not be found.

I propose two groups, the first being the search group containing the Vice Admiral, Mr Brontson, Mr Klein and Brother Mandrake. The Camp group would consist of the doctor, Mr Kirkpatrick and Nischal. I am willing and able to accompany either group. And if anyone would have a better suggestion as to how the groups may be divided, I am willing to listen.

Night Two: Schism

Brother Mandrake, Vice Admiral Mordock, and Willem Klein head up the right staircase in search of Scout. Meanwhile, John the Savage, Calcutta, Vick, Mr. Kirkpatrick, Dr. Fabricius and Nischal stay behind to watch the camp. Everyone (everyone being Nischal, Mordock, Fabricius, Vick, Mr. Kirkpatrick, Klein and Mandrake) takes their ration for the cycle first, since nobody ever agreed on how to split rations or anything. However when you guys get to them you see someone pilfered more and there are 22 left. So after each person takes his next ration, there are 15 rations remaining.

Mandrake, Mordock and Klein disappear into the fog; the rest wait at the ridge expectantly.

At this point we've fractured into two groups. The game will continue by PM… (please do not discuss the happenings of your own group with those outside of the group, especially those in the other group!)