BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Willem:

Am I in hallucination or something? Why I can't hear anyone speaking. I thought I saw them in front but no one talking for long...

God, spill YOUR blessing to me. If I can survive until the night. Bless me with courage so I could continue the journey at the bottom cave. I believe the truth is almost there!

The lower cave is coated in lichen and not much else... other than some voraciously gnawed bones, possibly Vick's. However, someone makes an accidental discovery by leaning on a sensitive part of the back wall and it caves open, leading to another narrow dark tunnel chewing its way into the mountain. Combined with the top cave, there are three such passages (possibly natural, although they appear as if they were bored out by some massive worm or snake).

This day is slightly better than previous though - you can see from here to the peak, and the cluster of ancient buildings clinging to the cliff-face directly beneath the peak. It'd be possible to head there during the day period, since many of you are still rejuvenated and have most of your warmth from the hot lake below.

Nischal:

Will you people listen to me now!! We are not supposed to be here!! The Enlightened want us gone. It is not just our lives in danger. Will you take responsibility for the lives of the many down below!? Of course not. But I will. We have listened to the ignorant long enough. I am now in charge. If you want to survive you will follow me. I will stop at nothing to get us off this mountainside. Now follow me or perish, if not by the spirits' hands then by my very own! :angry:

Nischal:

Will you people listen to me now!! We are not supposed to be here!! The Enlightened want us gone. It is not just our lives in danger. Will you take responsibility for the lives of the many down below!? Of course not. But I will. We have listened to the ignorant long enough. I am now in charge. If you want to survive you will follow me. I will stop at nothing to get us off this mountainside. Now follow me or perish, if not by the spirits' hands then by my very own! :angry:

As I count it, we are still four of us: myself, Willem, the Doctor and Nischal. Only Nischal shows interest in heading back down. We've come so far. It would be a shame to turn back when we are so close to the top. The Beast's probably in one of these caves, but being his home, we would be at a severe disadvantage if we met him there.

Therefore, I advocate we head to the buildings at the peak. Let's meet your gods Nischal! If Scratwhatzamajig exists, I want to see him with my own two eyes! I've been up here a long time. I can survive a little while longer before a return to humanity. Maybe we'll find the beast patrolling the ruins when we arrive! :D

You'd be foolish to venture down alone, Nischal. If no one wants to go with you, I would strongly recommend you stay with us.

Maybe someone is nearby in the caves, close enough to hear us. We could try shouting into the tunnel mouth to see if someone responds before heading up. Let's try it! :o

HEY! ANYBODY IN THERE? :unsure:

Nischal:

Fools!! You speak of homes...what of the homes of the people of this land. You have been putting them in great peril with your selfish adventures. I have not suggested we go down. I have demanded it...

*grabs an icicle and grabs Klein, icicle to the neck

Now, like I said...you will follow me or perish, if not by the spirits' hands then by my very own!

Nischal:

Klein, I apologize. Please understand that I am not threatening your life. Nay, I am saving it along with the others. Now I am taking Klein and I suggest you all follow me. I will not allow you to ascend any further.

Take Klein if you must. I want to see the top! We would most of us have been all right if the others had stayed as a group. Such as it is, we must make our own choices now.

I hope that the Doctor will stay with me, even if you will not. I do not wish to see Klein harmed, but he doesn't seem to want to go down with you...You speak of madness and now you are the one threatening people with violent death.

I will see what is at the top, even if it kills me! Though I do not expect that to occur.

Willem:

Nischal, forgive me if I say it too hursh. I believe that you know something in the building above. Allow me to voice out my guess:

The building not doubt is left behind by the ancient, but it is not abundant! Someone take the building as the base, to manufacture the hallucination pill illegally! The source? is the lichen besides the hot spring lake.

To collect the lichen with bare hand is dangerouse. Hence the workers wearing some kind of big safety suit with oxygen supplied. I believe the suits are looked in white color and some air supply pipings along the suit. The makes people thought they saw the Yeti!

So Nischal, tell me, are you the boss of this 'factory' or you are some kind of supplier to provides needs (food and others) to the workers?

Edited by woon

Nischal:

Are you eating lichen Klein? What are you talking about?

Willem:

I didn't take any lichen, Nischal. I said already, it is just my assumption. If you are not, then forget about it.

It's too late... the entire sancutary starts sliding down the cliff-face in a rumbling lurch of stone, snow and bodies... this momentum builds and collides and collects, picking up speed as it approaches free fall, tearing apart the icy cliff in its descent... an avalanche of massive proportions in the making...

k - sounds good. If we're exploring the tunnels i suggest we pack away extra lichen just in case

OOC: ^^ has anyone taken that color?

OOC: Don't know where you are supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure that you're character wasn't with our group. The color is fine I think, though Izzy might be using it as that's her standard color.