BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Nay, Brother Mandrake, I have not proposed sending the entire team up the stairway. I have simply mentioned that it may not be wise to send an explorer such as myself to an unknown place that may result in the loss of my skills. I have proposed sending one who has not provided our expedition with a suitable skill set. The mission is the important thing here. It must come first and foremost. Hence my insistence that we discover the murderer in our midst. Anything that could derail our ascent should be avoided at all costs.

Day Two: Coagulation [Warning, you may have gotten a PM in accompany with this day post. If so, please check your PM right now]

After a solid day of rest, many of the frozen ailments of the previous night have been healed.

[1] Framm = Scout

[2] Araver = Gregor Ivanov

[3] maurice = Nischal

[4] Blablah = Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock

[5] DD = Hieronymus Fabricius

[6] Hirkala = John the Savage

[7] DarthNoob = Vick Brontson

[8] GMaster479 = Mr. Kirkpatrick

[9] woon = Willem Klein

[10] Izzy = Brother Mandrake

[11] Dawh = Calcutta

Meanwhile, Scout leaves to explore the right staircase. While he's gone, a multitude of muted screams are heard from within Gregor's tent. By the time everyone rushes in, he's gone. The edges of the tent are ripped from some kind of brief struggle. There are large drag marks on the ground, and some blood, indicating his body was dragged out through the snow. And, the rations having been sitting in his tent unguarded, they are quickly checked: there's only 31 food rations left. Ruh-roh. At the end of tonight (night 2), the remaining living explorers (except of course, Calcutta, and John the Savage), will need to each eat 1 more ration to stay alive.

Meanwhile, Scout has not yet returned from ascending the right staircase. Even as the day ends, the sun sets, and some of the worse blizzards drop to other parts of the mountain, Scout has not returned. It's now night 2. Good luck explorers...

Hey, guys, we need to start thinking about food here. Missing a meal here and there won't kill us. I vote we rotate in two groups of eating and not eating. One group will eat today, the other tomorrow, and so forth. Otherwise, we'll need to start getting rid of people, and I'm not a fan of the idea. In fact, it seems someone already thought of that and stole half the food for themselves..

Maybe that American? Or the fat millionaire?

Now seems appropriate to say you don't need to eat/drink/lamp/use supplies (aka use up 1 ration) in a day+night cycle if you don't want to, but it increases your chance of getting frostbite, by a lot, and you'll certainly die if you go without rations for 2 cycles in a row. It's hard work and you're burning a lot of calories when you're climbing high altitudes in low temperatures in the HImalayas

edit: izzy beat me to it

Edited by unreality

I am not accusing here, but I would like to mention that the food issue may come second to the fact that Gregor is missing and Scout has not yet returned. Yes, our food rations are low, but we are also blind without Scout. What if we are to approach an obstacle of the nature that we ran into yesternight? Do any of us possess the foresight to realize its danger before we walk into its clutches? Also we may need to think that the murderer of Brontson may still be here. Is this the fate of Gregor, to be murdered alongside our leader, his body left to freeze in the icy winds? Or if he may be alive, we need find him. For, as Calcutta may be able to tell, to be left alone in the frigid mountain snow may be a fate worse than death. Before we move on, we must decide what is to be done about our friends, our food, our ability to move forward and the ever-present threat that still lingers.

Due to new years and such, the night will end nighttime on Jan 1st or so. Although if you end up not going anywhere tonight you'll be stuck in this spot (between regions 1 and 2) for the next day as well due to the blizzards. (ie just reminding, you can only travel at night)

Edited by unreality

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

I'll go with you. If we alternate rations, if someone doesn't seem to be fatigued or ill in any way when he goes without rations, that person might be the food thief.