BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Nischal:

Umm, Klein I hate to do this but there were some rations in here. But no longer. Did one of you take them?! Wait did Gregor take them before he snuck away? When did I eat, before he left or after?

Nischal:

Yeah my meditation yielded nothing...maybe we should catch up with the others because now we are really short on food. Wait we've lost Scout again right...I know you don't want skymoss, Klein, but maybe we should gather some until we're able to leave...you must eat something.

Nevermind, got actions by PM - Mandrake, Kirkpatrick and the Vice Admiral have pushed on ahead into the staircase. The rest of you are free to do as pleased. They Gregor with 1 ration; Nischal with 5; Scout with 5; Fabricius with 5. Mandrake, Kirkpatrick and Mordock have with them 3+10+5 = 18 although they haven't had their cycle 4 rations yet so it will soon be 15 unless they subsist on lichen.

Wait. Your rations are gone? Are you sure that you had them after the other 3 left?

According to that post, he should have had 5 rations. I guess I should also check my bags since Scout and Gregor both left . That would leave me with the only rations.

Those of us still together, we ought to head up as a group, no more of these ones and twos traveling alone. It's just trouble, should anything go wrong. It's unfortunate that Scout did not return with a report, but we should not wait to see if he comes since he's likely been stranded wherever he is for the full day and unable to return.

There are five of us and the rations are getting low for you people. We must find the others if you are to remain fed. Or at least find their supplies, should their condition prove unsalvagable. Such is the nature of the beast!

Your experience gained from climbing many previous obstacles, ice ridges, gaps and chutes has helped you get past the current staircase segment without much incident (other than hours and hours of hiking ) until you encounter a similar thin ice platform (over a seemingly mile-deep drop) you encountered in region 1. Except this time, you don't have enough weight to spread equally so in order to insure your safety you must enter (at the 'i' =in space and leave at the 'o'=out space). The x spots are boulders you must avoid. You can only move orthogonally (up down left right) and the idea/rule of travel is twofold: (1) you can't walk on the same spot twice because if you do it will cave in, and (2) you must hit each space once to distribute the weight. For example:

o - - -

x - - -

- - - -

- - - i
This would be traversed like this:
4 3 0 9

x 2 1 8

4 5 6 7

3 2 1 0
(0 .. 9 then start over from 0) Here is the random ice platform you have encountered:
- - - - - - -

- - - - - x -

o - - - - - -

- - - - x - -

- - - - - - -

- - - - - - -

i - - - - - -

From snow shuffling, it looks like it has been crossed multiple times within the past couple days. It should be easy enough for you to find a route across it- however in this case you have too many people to take the slowest route - the ice will break with the weight you guys have, regardless. So you need to find the QUICKEST way across - where going straight forward costs 1 second and turning costs 1.25 seconds. Assuming initially you need to turn to get to either way you're going.

I've found 3 different ways to make it with 21 turns, but I'm not counting an initial turn to start. U - I don't understand your statement "Assuming initially you need to turn to get to either way you're going". Does that mean that our first move (from block "0" to block "1" in the example) will take 1.25 seconds regardless of whether we go N (up) or E (right)? If that is the case, then all 3 of my solutions involve 22 turns. Can anyone find a quicker route?

Unless there's something wrong with my calculations, this should be 21 turns, even counting the first move as a turn:

8 7 6 5 4 3 2

9 0 1 2 3 x 1

6 5 4 3 4 5 0

7 8 1 2 x 6 9

6 9 0 1 0 7 8

5 4 3 2 9 8 7

0 1 2 3 4 5 6

There's a small ambiguity in the table, but the 2 on the second row continues to the 3 on the same row, rather than moving down one position. I haven't found anything faster yet.