BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Meanwhile Mandrake and Kirkpatrick have left the party and are hiking up to the lake with the 3 rations Mandrake took. Leaving 12. Meanwhile everyone's finished their rations for the night. So as of up through the end of night 3, everyone's been fed up to now. There are 12 rations left in the camp here and 3 going up with Mandrake & Kirkpatrick

It seems ill-advised for the pair of them to take off like that, but I am willing to go with anyone else who will follow. We need to get moving very soon though, as neither of them are known to have exceptional survival skills.

If Vick was the food thief, it's possible that the rest of the rations will remain safe and sound for the rest of you. Those who wish to continue, we must go now. Who's with me?

So far as I can see, those who wish to continue up are:

Brother Mandrake

Calcutta (me)

Mr. Kirkpatrick (dated info)

Vick (dated info)

Vice Admiral (dated info)

Those who want to retreat:

Nischal

John the Savage

And Unknown:

Scout

Willem Klein

Dr. Hieronymus Fabricius

:

:

:

Willem, what is skymoss? :huh:

Willem:

I wish to Continue, Mr. Calcutta.

That's the reason I ask Scout about the lichen. If it is Skymoss, then we must be careful. Skymoss give hallucination. I believed my friend Charles claimed that he saw FSM because of this lichen!

Willem:

Sabastian, I will follow you too. I need to examine what does the lichen looks like. There are 3 possibilities:

1) The lichen that provide food

2) The lichen which is named Skymoss, which give hallucination. So team, if we were found in odd condition, believe me, we were hallucinated!

3) The lichen which is enemy of Skymoss, which cure hallucination.

Ready, Sabastian? Let's move.

Gregor:

Hey, hey, you down there, have some 'shrooms. Gregor thinks clear now. Gregor sees clear now. Gregor see no Yeti was. Gregor saw someone. Not spirit. Mad and bad teeth, but not Yeti. Strong too. Almost too strong for Gregor.

See what Gregor has in his bag? Vick did not want. Vick rather silent. Vick too fragile. Gregor thinks Vick would have liked shrooms.

Want some shrooms Gregor found in the baddie cave? Or this other things Gregor found on Vick (9) and in the other cave (22)? Gregor forgot what this was for. Gregor likes shrooms now. But maybe you want them.

*hands 31 rations*

Hey, where is everybody? Gregor not see everybody. Gregor knows where Vick is. Want to show where Vick is? Anytime, no rush, Vick not moving. Gregor shares shrooms with you.

Edited by araver

Gregor! Where did you come from? Have you been eating lichen? It may be a hallucinogen. Yeti? Ha! I do not understand a thing you have just said, Gregor.

And again, no one has listened to Scout. These foolish men have left the rest of us and made their way up alone. What are they to do if they are trapped as Scout was? What if they find an obstacle they can not overcome? Well, as much as they annoy me with their stubbornness, I can not allow any man to die unnecessarily. I will go up the mountain and find them. Any who wish to join me are welcome. I believe several have said as much already. We need to move quickly before Mandrake and Kirkpatrick get too far ahead.

Gregor:

You speak fast. Need speak slower. Gregor dragged to cave. Gregor knocked out. Gregor stayed there. These are good. Gregor tried to get out. Beast took Gregor back to cave. Not beast. Strong, but not beast. Beast throw Vick in cave. Vick blood from nose. Gregor tried to help Vick. Vick too fragile. Gregor left Vick after a while. Gregor searched Vick. Gregor found some of this on Vick. Gregor went out. Gregor saw cave near. Gregor found bag in cave. Gregor saw people earlier when beast put Gregor back in the cave. Gregor went down the slope. Gregor here.

Gregor give you these. Make you think clear. Almost all the time.

Gregor not see all of you.

As Calcutta, Mordock, Klein, Scout and the Doctor head up the left staircase as the night ends, Gregor lunges maniacally at John the Savage, with obvious intent to kill, but John's own inner savagery breaks in and he lashes out with an arm, blocking Gregor's arm and swiping with the other arm, smacking the knife out of Gregor's hands while uppercutting with a knee. As the two grapple and injure each other, the knife scattering away on the ice, they both eventually collapse in a pile of blood and snow. John gets possession of the knife, backing away, as Gregor snarls and withdraws.

As the night ends, the first group disappears up the staircase, leaving John, Gregor and Nischal on the plateau below. [am I forgetting anyone?]

How many rations did the group going to the lake take though? Anyway that ends night 3

moving the lake talk to this thread because there's only so many people allowed in a private convo and Hirk needed to be added because John the Savage went up to the lake too. So here are the people at the lake:

Mandrake

Kirkpatrick

Calcutta (known to be from America but as his voice box is slowly unthawed everyone starts to realize his accent is somewhat more from across the ol pond)

Scout

Dr Fabricius

VA Mordock

Klein

Gregor

Nischal

John the Savage

the sun is nearly in sunset position. If anyone has any remaining day 4 objectives, do them now :P