BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Balderdash - a game of deceit

maurice_2.0

Anyone here ever play the board game Balderdash?  I was thinking this would make for a fun forum game and there are some similarities to Mafia, methinks.

For those who have not played the gist is this.  Player A selects a card.  That card has an obscure word and the definition.  Player A reads aloud the word and then proceeds to write down the definition while all other players write down their own definition.  Usually they do not know the definition.  This is fine as that is not the goal.  Player A shuffles all of the definitions and reads them aloud.  Points are scored for guessing the correct definition, other players guessing your definition, actually writing the correct definition, and Player A scores if nobody guesses correctly.

The version I have also has Names, Dates, Acronyms and Movie Titles.  The subject is chosen by the roll of a die.

So here's my thought.  We get 6-10 players to sign up, I will serve as a perpetual "Player A"  I will roll a die and select a card.  Then I will post the "word" and subject matter.  Players have 24 hours to pm me their "definitions".  After those 24 hours, I will post the "definitions" and players vote on them roster style a la Mafia.  You do not score points for voting for your own "definition".  Chatter is encouraged.  After 24 hours I will announce the correct "definition" and post scores.  This will go on until somebody scores 20 points, I'm thinking 2-3 weeks.

Scoring is as follows:

- Players submitting the correct definition are immediately awarded 3 points
- Players are awarded 2 points if they guess the correct definition. 
- Players are awarded 1 point for each other player who incorrectly chooses the fake definition they submitted.
- The Host is awarded three points if no one guesses the correct definition.

If there is interest, I would like to start Sunday.  I'm thinking I may try to create a game board, but don't hold me to that.  I would like players to select a color, however.  If you'd like to play place your name next to a color.  The rules we will play by are in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

{I have copied the Official Beyond Balderdash rules and made some tweaks to fit the forum style of play that we will be utilizing}

OBJECT

Balderdash is not a test of one's knowledge*.  In fact, players are not expected to know the real answers to any of the questions in the game.  The main objective is to make up answers that will bluff other players.  Points are awarded for fooling other players, as well as for choosing the real and often unbelievable answer.

*this is why use of the internet is discouraged.  For developing your answer, I believe it is fine.  But not for trying to find the correct answer.

GAMEPLAY

1.  maurice is the default DASHER for each round.  There are 5 categories: 1)Words 2)People 3)Initials 4)Movies 5)Dates .  We will move through the categories in sequential order.  maurice removes the first card from his box.

2. maurice posts the Category and the Question.  This begins Cycle 1A.

3. All players - except maurice - then make up an answer for the question that they think will bluff the other players, and pm it to maurice.  Be as wacky or as serious as you want.  Remember: You earn points if others vote for your bluffs!

4. The Question for each category is as follows:
WORDS - What is the definition for the word given?
PEOPLE - What is this person known for?
INITIALS - What do the given initials stand for?
MOVIES - What is the given film about?
DATES - What happened on this day?

5. maurice compiles all of the answers, along with the correct answer, and arranges them in random order.  Each answer will be posted in along with a number.  This begins Cycle 1B.  

6.  Players begin voting for which answer they believe is the correct one.  All players may also discuss the options with other players.  The votes will be similar to Mafia lynch voting.

1. xxxxxx

2. yyyyy

maurice voting for 1
maurice_2.0 voting for 2

7. At the end of Cycle 1B, maurice reveals the correct answer along with everyone's answer.  The scores are totaled and the next Category and Question are posted. 

SCORING

• A player earns 1 point for every vote his phony answer receives.
  • A player earns 2 points for choosing the real answer.
  • maurice receives 3 points if no one chooses the real answer.
  • Any player who submits an answer which is similar or very close to the correct answer earns 3 points.  If this occurs that answer will be removed from the list and the player who submitted it will not take place in the voting.  They may however take place in the discussions.  This is a game of deception.

WINNING

A player will move one space on the board for every point awarded.  The first player to reach the top is the winner.  

All Cycles will be 24 hours long.  Cycle 1A begins when I post the first question, hopefully Sunday August 29 @ 9pm CST.  After cycle 1A, all A cycles will run concurrently with the previous B cycle (2A will start when 1B starts, 3A with 2B etc)

Isolating to make signups easier

Host - maurice

Red -
Blue -
Green -
Purple -
Orange -
LimeGreen -
Turqoise -
Brown -
HotPink -
Gray -

Edited by maurice_2.0
  • Upvote 1

8 players is awesome.  Still have room for two more but I'll for sure start Sunday.  I'll actually have the 24 hour cycles end at 4am Greenwich time (BST)  

In preparation, I thought I'd post a sample card.  If you see how the true cards answer, you have a better shot of coming up with a submission that can pass as the correct answer.

WORDS - Otolith

Answer - A stone-like formation found in the inner ear of whales and other mammals.

PEOPLE - Claire Luteyn

Answer - Woman who spent 3 days as a human incubator hatching nine emu bird eggs

INITIALS - N.A.P.A,

Answer - North American Pizza Association

MOVIES - Out of Order

Answer - Four people get trapped in an elevator that has a mind of its own

DATES - September 7, 1971

Answer - Sesame Street was banned in England.

In addition, here is a link to a time we played this on another site.  Please note that we started off with no overlapping cycles, but quickly switched to the current format.

Balderdash

Missing two replied, but that's ok.  We can still continue and they can still vote.  You get points for people voting for your submission, but also for selecting the correct one.  

Cycle 1B

WORDS - Sternutation

1.  achoo, baka        
2.  An honor bestowed at ones departure; esp. at retirement.    
3.  The act of sneezing.      
4.  A small mutation of the genes, that affects the appearance of recessive traits.    
5.  The act of travelling backward.      
6.  Drops of liquid coming out of nose or may be on mouth then you need tissue/s to cover nose/mouth and clean it.
7.  The act of violent involuntary sternum movements.    

Dasher:

maurice

Players:

dee
araver
plainglazed
marksmanjay
logophobic
plasmid
Nana
Framm

You may discuss all you want.  You may vote for your own, you may change votes.  You will receive one point for every vote on your submission (except self-votes) and 2 points for guessing correctly.

To vote, copy the player list find your name, and add " - voting for Number 0"

Here is the next question.

Cycle 2A
Category - PEOPLE
Question  - William G. Morgan (i.e. who is/was he?)

Cycles 1B & 2A end at 10 pm CDT Tuesday (4am Greenwich time Wednesday)

Good luck and have fun!!

Cycle0.png

Edited by maurice_2.0

7 minutes ago, marksmanjay said:

Nice game board, by the way.

Thanks.  Please note that I added the 2A question to the previous post.

Also, I forgot to add, it may be best to include the submission list.  It's been a while since I hosted this and the formatting is different here than what it used to be :(.  But I think I got through those hiccups.

Cycle 1B

WORDS - Sternutation

1.  achoo, baka    
2.  An honor bestowed at ones departure; esp. at retirement.  
3.  The act of sneezing.    
4.  A small mutation of the genes, that affects the appearance of recessive traits.  
5.  The act of travelling backward.    
6.  Drops of liquid coming out of nose or may be on mouth then you need tissue/s to cover nose/mouth and clean it.
7.  The act of violent involuntary sternum movements.    
8.  A fracture of the sternum.    

Players:

dee
araver
plainglazed
marksmanjay - voting for Number 5
logophobic
plasmid
Nana
Framm

Edit - please note number 8 got cut off.  I was able to add it to this post but not the Cycle 1A post

Edited by maurice_2.0