BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Nischal:

Brother Mandrake, this is 100% unacceptable. Release Gregor, immediately. Untie him. Your eagerness to get to the top of this mountain at all costs has gotten out of hand. This is a team venture. You wil not singlehandedly control this situation. If you want to produced in this manner, go. But you will leave behind Gregor and the rations. And enough of this talk of"if you all want to sit around and do nothing..." Are attempts to come to a decision are constantly thwarted by your impulsive acts. Just because you are rash and long ago made your decisions, does not make the rest of is any less wiser for wanting to discuss our options. It is easy to make a quick decision when you give no thought to consequences.

Why, why are you so eager to go where the enlightened and their spirits will not allow?

Edited by maurice

Willem:

I suggest we should continue going up.

@ Nischal, You seem to know something up there, don't you? Why are you keep stopping us to move forward?

@ Sebastion, I understand your concern on Mandrake and Kirkpatrick. Here is my suggestion. We seperate into 2 groups and go up 1 group after another. Group 1 will be Kirkpatrick , Nischal, Doctor, John and me. You, scout, Mandrake, Gregor will be group 2.

Let's don't waste our time. The night is short.

How about groups like this:

1. Mandrake, Kirk, Admiral (so he can keep an eye on me :P), Gregor (so he isn't with John)

2. Nischal, Doctor, Willem, John, Calcutta, Scout

However, in my group, when I say move, you move. If you don't want to do that, join group two.

Alternatively:

1. Mandrake, Kirk, Admiral

2. Nischal, Doc, Willy, Calcutta, Scout

3. John

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

If you don't mind, I'd like to be in group one. I'm sure you understand my concern. You see, I'm not quite sure who to trust. You may be trying to get me out of the way, due to my, erm, job.

EDIT:

And Mandrake, you seem eager to add Kirkpatrick to your group.

Edited by Blablah99

First of all, Mandrake, Gregor and I have made our peace. At least I have no ill will toward him. And what have I done to you to warrant this kind of behavior toward me? Nischal is correct. Release Gregor immediately. What gives you the right to bind a man and make decisions for this group when our lives may be at risk? You have become a liability to this expedition and your outrageous behavior has proven that you have no right to attempt to lead.

I have a request to make of Scout, however. I would ask that he remove his mask and show his face. I am very curious about him. I am not demanding that this happen, Scout, I am simply asking for this one small measure of trust to be shown to the people you are leading through such dangerous terrain. And it may possibly clear some things up for some people, myself being one of them.

John, I doubt it, and I don't have to respond to you.

Your.. job?

Oh, right. *releases Gregor* You guys don't like me calling the shots, but it's fine when a high lunatic does and withholds food from us? He's Nischal's responsibility now. I like the man, make sure he doesn't kill himself up here.

Kirk, Addy, let's go.

Nischal:

That's the problem Brother Mandrake. Gregor is a grown man and thus is his own responsibility. If for some reason more shenanigans occur, he'll face consequences, but not your outrageous ones.

Gregor:

Gregor did not like that. Gregor suspected Brother Mandrake was a little insane, but should have been more careful. *shrug* Gregor will not be fooled again. Gregor never forgets nor forgives.

Gregor has made his peace with John for now. And the Doctor can stay guard between me and John, to oversee there is no problem between us.

Gregor would still like to hear from Klein, but moving seems more important now.

Any group is fine with Gregor, except getting left alone with Brother Mandrake. Gregor does not promise to behave if left alone with Brother Mandrake.

Nevermind, got actions by PM - Mandrake, Kirkpatrick and the Vice Admiral have pushed on ahead into the staircase. The rest of you are free to do as pleased. They Gregor with 1 ration; Nischal with 5; Scout with 5; Fabricius with 5. Mandrake, Kirkpatrick and Mordock have with them 3+10+5 = 18 although they haven't had their cycle 4 rations yet so it will soon be 15 unless they subsist on lichen.

Anyway, that's the current situation, with some time still left in n4...

Huh...I had expected that Scout chap to be checking the lay o' the land for us as he has done in the past. :unsure: It seems foolish to linger here as you all seem disinclined to eat this lichen here, so you'll soon run out of rations if you stay put. We should continue up after the rest of them.

Nischal:

Before we follow those foolish ones, mayhaps we should all discuss the personal reasons for us to go up there.

My initial ones were curiosity. I wanted to see what my dad and great uncle were talking about firsthand. I also trusted Brontson, to be a leader and also to be mindful of the spirits, as he promised. But now he's gone and with him are any real reasons I have for a further ascent. I have seen far too much of the spirits already. I'm sure many of our own personal reasons to continue are no longer valis as well. Anyone else care to share?

Huh...I had expected that Scout chap to be checking the lay o' the land for us as he has done in the past. :unsure: It seems foolish to linger here as you all seem disinclined to eat this lichen here, so you'll soon run out of rations if you stay put. We should continue up after the rest of them.

I thought so too... :blink:

I would be fine climbing the mountain now that it is night as well.

I have already said that I will continue on. Although, it does not seem that Mandrake is listening to anyone but himself. Which I find quite disturbing. He is a dangerous liability to himself, the rest of us and the expedition in general. There is something else driving him and it worries me.

OOC: UR, is there going to be anything about Scout revealing his face?

I have already said that I will continue on. Although, it does not seem that Mandrake is listening to anyone but himself. Which I find quite disturbing. He is a dangerous liability to himself, the rest of us and the expedition in general. There is something else driving him and it worries me.

OOC: UR, is there going to be anything about Scout revealing his face?

Nischal:

Something else, I've said that I trust you and Brother Mandrake has questioned it from the start. Is there any history between you two?

This expedition is doomed to fail. The spirits are near, but if we must continue, must we with Mandrake or Kirkpatrick or the Vice Admiral? I trust none of their judgment. We have with us, myself, Scout, Savage and even Calcutta has some knowledge of this area. What can an ex-convict, a tycoon and a sailor offer to this expedition? And by the way, their eagerness to proceed despite what I've mentioned has me severely doubting that their motives are not corrupt.

Edited by maurice