Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lazy-bones Paradox

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#151 Cavenglok

Cavenglok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:15 PM

Your destiny is whether or not you go to the doctor. You cannot deny destiny, because your destiny would be to deny destiny.

BRIAN DENNIS: WARM-UP

Anyone who wants to join, or if you're looking for a certain piece of evidence, here's a link to a list of evidence. Thanks, Aaryan!

http://brainden.com/...rm-up/?p=327768

#152 wild cherry

wild cherry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:17 AM

The question relies on the following assumptions any of which can be challenged:
1)there is such thing as destiny
2)destiny can't be changed
3)destiny does not depend on your actions
and a few more that I am too tired to write out right now.

yes it does depend on those. but if one is destined to regain health, then one cannot simply do nothing, eg "in destiny's book" if one will regain health how does one know that it's not planned to go to the doctor to regain health.

#153 Simms

Simms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:18 AM

Destiny is absolutely true. This is life explained by a algebra equation.

(Simplified)
Assuming that each individual is assigned a different letter of the alphabet, and that everything in the known universe is assigned a number, and each individual is assigned a number beside their alphabetical letter from which all other numbers effect that number, destiny is made by the choices of the individual by there interaction with other numbers. It is destiny that the individual will die without seeing a specific doctor. But it is destiny that the individual will live by seeing the right one.

Destiny is a changing variable from which all other variables in the universe effect the solution.

#154 Darkari33

Darkari33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

Lazy-bones Paradox - Back to the Paradoxes

If destiny designed a master plan, which defines everything that is to happen, isn't it useless to for example go to a doctor? If I am ill and it is my destiny to regain health, than I will regain health whether I visit a doctor or I don't. And if I shall not be healthy again, than I will not with or without help.
If I am ill and destiny has a definite plan for me, than it is useless to go anywhere.
How could you question the presented opinion?

Spoiler for My point of veiw

#155 justinmh1634

justinmh1634

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Think about a man in a flood. A boat passes by and he does not get in. He states that destiny will save him. Another 2 boats come by with the same action of relying on destiny. When the man drowns in the flood he wonders why destiny did not save him. Destiny responds with... I sent 3 boats!

#156 billythekid

billythekid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:05 PM

Peolpe often mix two things together. Destiny is for future, whereas action is for present. So one has to take some action when confronted by choices or options ie to choose one. The result of this outcome is destiny.

Anyway, the concept of destiny is for ones own self. It comforts you when made a wrong decision or opted for something not-so-nice. But it should never stop you from TRYING to make the best possible decision.

#157 D.H.

D.H.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

There is one other way to explain this: Destiny does and does not exist at one given point. It exists at all points in the future, if at all. Destiny will only exist if one believes in it, and only for that person. It is more a question of whether or not destiny exists. I would shudder, personally, to think my life was completely planned. I would hate that because i am a free will kind of guy.

#158 maurice

maurice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3612 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

It does not matter what you think...you have no choice in the matter if you believe in destiny so why bother forming an opinion? Your choices have already been made.

#159 lastinline2solve

lastinline2solve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

I have small understanding of the human condition insofar as free will and destiny. I enjoy hearing it restated in a challenging paradox that seems to poke fun at our collective ignorance.

What I find interesting is the title of this paradox..."Lazy Bones".

All in all that is what it is.. a choice..
we are ignorant to our own decisions!
Destiny is merely an opportunity to decide or make a choice. I do however, believe that everything happens for a reason (unknown to us at the given moment, of course) and that every little thing "Could/Could Not" be predetermined Destiny. There is no way of knowing for sure WHAT is our destiny but we can control our choices! In that sense if I want go to a doctor because I am sick regardless if I will get better or not.. will it or will it not make me better or worse? I love destiny...and the "laziness" of our choices because of it... or as hughes wrote.... collective ignorance!

#160 GGJT

GGJT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:52 AM

Destiny is not a matter of chance, its a matter of choice. If I push someone off a cliff, they are destined (it is for sure likely) that they will fall. If you know you are ill and that you will get better, then you should go to the doctor so that destiny can be fulfilled. It is okay to go along with destiny and show choice, effort and patience but you should not go against destiny for if you are ill and jump off a building you will not regain health because being in such a physical world that we live in, we have to abide by certain rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users