BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Lazy-bones Paradox

rookie1ja

Quiet simply put me believe a few have touched or mentioned this... being.... Assuming religiously is not involved, destiny is a decided path predetermined. But our lives are based on choices. If we were to image this to be a religious question, take for instance Christianity. Under this faith ... we are told we have the right to make our own choices. Then destiny is not in play... but then also is mentioned that God knows the answer. If this is the case our choices are predefined and anticipated and an action then follows.... thus destiny is real.... so which is it? In truth we have choices... weather someone knows what we chose is irrelevant. We chose to go to the doctor or we chose to recover either slowly or not at all. It is then our actions that determine our destiny. Not our destiny that determines our actions...

I do hope that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

If destiny designed a master plan, which defines everything that is to happen, isn't it useless to for example go to a doctor? If I am ill and it is my destiny to regain health, than I will regain health whether I visit a doctor or I don't. And if I shall not be healthy again, than I will not with or without help.

If I am ill and destiny has a definite plan for me, than it is useless to go anywhere.

How could you question the presented opinion?

But if we are following destiny, and (in this context) destiny is our lives written out for us, then if we go to the doctors it is part of our destiny. By our going to the doctors whether we can heal or not, was already planned out for us, thus saying free will does not exist, because our choices will end up the same no matter what.

No matter what we do it's because it's written in our destiny.

• 1 month later...

If this book explained everything that were to happen, and assuming everone would have access to the book, no one would have free will. If it stated EVERYTHING that were to happen exactly as it would happen, no one could do otherwise. Also, the book would have to have an end, and a beginning, so someone would have to write it. But if this book stated that everything that happened, it would have say what happened even before it existed; also, if the guy who wrote it was anything like humans are today, he would write that he would live forever, that he would have infinite riches, etc... But the book has to have an end, and if it states everthing that is going to happen then that is the true paradox.

Lazy-bones Paradox - Back to the Paradoxes

If destiny designed a master plan, which defines everything that is to happen, isn't it useless to for example go to a doctor? If I am ill and it is my destiny to regain health, than I will regain health whether I visit a doctor or I don't. And if I shall not be healthy again, than I will not with or without help.

If I am ill and destiny has a definite plan for me, than it is useless to go anywhere.

I personally believe that choices that you make are as a result of destiny or have an effect on destiny for the first part if you are ill then it may be worth going to the doctor because maybe that is how destiny plans on making you better at the same time my statment that destiny can be changed also applies in that if you go to the doctor then maybe your destiny is then to be healed if you don't then your destiny may or may not have changed to not getting healed it s complicated...duh

• 2 weeks later...

I am realy sorry about how big its got...

At first I might think the destiny had already decide everything so what is the point to tell you what I am thinking but because I am answering it, Its mean I have somthing to say in the matter and I think like this: Even if you do belive that the destiny is alredy decided so you should do what better to you anyway because if you won't do it the surviving chaces for you to live will be lower(*This is not a must read* I am using chances because that even if you belive that the destiny is decided you shouldn't be thinking on that because it's still matter if you will do things or not considering to the fact that if you will have fun you won't get the same result as if you will suicide so maybe the destiny is already decided but you will still have a better fate if you will try to make yourself better.)

and even if you don't agree with what I wrote or never read it it's still better to make yourself a better life before you will die...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This is not a paradox........either way you choose, to go to the doctor or not to go to the doctor is what your destiny is.

This is a paradox, let me explain

Imagine that a man invents a machine so he can look into the future, but even while hes looking at it, it keeps changing.

That is because if the man knew what was coming then hes much likely to do certain things otherwise in order to change things therefor the future has to change and he'll see something different, but then when he sees whatver change there is then he knows what his 'new' future will bring and he will act upon that aswell and it will change again for as long as he keep looking into the machine.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course I see what you mean by there is a paradox in this situation.

By first of all, remember whether you will visit the doctor or not was still going to be decided by destiny. Which then subsequently affect the outcomes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to debate this paradox you have to cagetorize the factors or variables that you use to support the reasons whereby your opinion is justified. Example: religion is an absolute in the eye and heart of the practicer and is not collective; destiny is a constant. Like an equation, what really matters is how those constants are affected on each side of the 'equals' sign. Take Einstein's equation E=mc^2; if that equation didn't have the constant c than it would be irrelevant, but since we know that light travels at a constant speed, we can justify the validity of the equation. Energy and mass though are variables which affect the constant of light. Destiny is constant, in all reality choices we make are already made for us; it's just a matter of picking the already made choice. When you go to buy a car, there are a definite number of colors available, so the decision has already been made for you that you are going to pick one of the colors, it's just a matter of picking one of those already made choices (or colors). The choice you made before you left for the car dealer was the constant: you decided that you were going to leave with a new car. Anyone familiar with math would sort of see that this topic overlaps into statistics and variable change. I can't explain all the jot and tiddles of the math because I haven't studied it completely, but for sake of argument just consider this: 2+x=4. The average person would assume the obvious, which is nonetheless correct, that x=2. 2 isn't constant the 4 is. There are several ways to acquire four: 2+(1+1)=4; 2+(root 4)=4; and to get crazy we can say 2+((1/4xroot 4) times 2)=4. All of those are correct. So personifying that translates as follows: in the equation 2+x=4, it is x's destiny to be added to 2 to equal 5. The path it takes to get there is the choice.

If that makes sense to anyone, please let me know; the majority of people I try to explain that to say that I'm wrong just because they're afraid to understand that choices are made for them, it's just the paths taken to accept those choices are what affect your destiny.

According to the paradox destiny is real for sure and it can be changed. Well, then, the answer is very simple. If he was sick and he went to the doctor it was his destiny to go to the doctor and then get cured. If he doesn't go to the doctor when he was destined to get cured after going to the doctor means that he'll never get cured. Destiny needs a series of events to happen for something else to happen which means that if the action of going to the doctor was not done he could've never regained health since he had to go to the doctor first. Oh, and answering to the post above, we should base our answers on the paradox and what it says not what we beleive or think. That really fixes everything.

Edited by alvarosv

IMO, this "paradox" is easily explained. The man that thinks this, is still being controlled by destiny. The thing is, him even THINKING this is destiny (or future, if you will). If he chooses that going to the doctor will solve his problem, because destiny isn't possible, then that was his destiny all along. It is not as simple as anything that can be told to you, as such palm readers, fortune tellers, etc. can't be real. This fact doesn't change the reality that destiny is what's going to happen, clear and simple. Nothing can change something as basic, and inalianable as destiny, because attempting to change it basically IS one's destiny, if they so choose to go that route.

Thank you!! I could never understand why that concept seems so difficult for some people to understand.

Well, to debate this paradox you have to cagetorize the factors or variables that you use to support the reasons whereby your opinion is justified. Example: religion is an absolute in the eye and heart of the practicer and is not collective; destiny is a constant. Like an equation, what really matters is how those constants are affected on each side of the 'equals' sign. Take Einstein's equation E=mc^2; if that equation didn't have the constant c than it would be irrelevant, but since we know that light travels at a constant speed, we can justify the validity of the equation. Energy and mass though are variables which affect the constant of light. Destiny is constant, in all reality choices we make are already made for us; it's just a matter of picking the already made choice. When you go to buy a car, there are a definite number of colors available, so the decision has already been made for you that you are going to pick one of the colors, it's just a matter of picking one of those already made choices (or colors). The choice you made before you left for the car dealer was the constant: you decided that you were going to leave with a new car. Anyone familiar with math would sort of see that this topic overlaps into statistics and variable change. I can't explain all the jot and tiddles of the math because I haven't studied it completely, but for sake of argument just consider this: 2+x=4. The average person would assume the obvious, which is nonetheless correct, that x=2. 2 isn't constant the 4 is. There are several ways to acquire four: 2+(1+1)=4; 2+(root 4)=4; and to get crazy we can say 2+((1/4xroot 4) times 2)=4. All of those are correct. So personifying that translates as follows: in the equation 2+x=4, it is x's destiny to be added to 2 to equal 5. The path it takes to get there is the choice.

If that makes sense to anyone, please let me know; the majority of people I try to explain that to say that I'm wrong just because they're afraid to understand that choices are made for them, it's just the paths taken to accept those choices are what affect your destiny.

Yes, that makes sense. It's like the guy who was prophesied to be killed by his son, so he has all his sons put to death, but one escapes death, grows up not knowing his father, and winds up killing him because of it. Destiny & free will are not mutually exclusive. That upsets people.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you think,

Before medical enhancements that fixed medical altercations , was it everyone's destiny to die immediatly because of an incurable illness at the time ?

Destiny can be defined as two ways

1. At which the path's we choose produce our own destiny

2. Our destiny is already set in stone, going to the Doctor will be useless.

If question 2 was valid, like the OP pondered about, then can we contribute medical ignorance by time to have a sever impact on people's destiny regarding life or death ? Think way back to the stonage, before Hospitals and all that... now compare it to know. Did destiny's regulations alter with the face of time ?

Imagine this, your at a stop sign and you pull out infront of someone but then quickly stop, that person, although abruptly angered, slows down and let's you go. Seconds later a drunk driver slams into the angered driver who you cut off. Was that destiny ? That your intentions were already set in stone by a higher power ? Or did you just create someone else's destiny while changing your own ?

What if the doctor's destiny is to help you regain your health?

okay two thereys exist in this the "stone theroy" and the "tapastery therory" (<- don't know how to spell)

Stone theroy is where everything is planned out

while

Tapastery theroy is when you make you own destiny.

So depending on the theroy there are two answers eather:

YOu control your destony

or

Your destiny tell you to go to the doctor to get better cause it is you fate.

• 2 weeks later...

ha! simple!

if destiny is real and controlls us then what we do we have no choice!

This is the thing that every one over skips in this

destiny is you.. he controls u and wat you do

if he makes you do it then it happens..

u cant control wat overpowers you..

its like trying to push a car going 60 mph..

u just cant do it

ur to weak

• 1 month later...

Destiny is just a lame and illogical word that is used to explain something good, bad or simply stagnant. I will use 3 sentences to explain:

Good (positive) – It’s my destiny that I have become the world’s fastest sprinter. Would you call this destiny or a result of practice and hard training?

Bad (negative) – It’s not my destiny to become the world’s fastest sprinter. Would you call this destiny or a person giving an excuse and trying to say the fastest guy is just distend to be the fastest regardless…

Stagnant (negative) – It’s just not my destiny to move up a rank. Destiny, or has he/she just given up?

In simple words destiny is a word people like to use to give reason to a happening.

• 2 weeks later...

the way i see it, is if there is such a thing as destiny, which i do not believe in, there is no way around it

you have no choice to go to the doctors, if it was predestined to, your predestined to get better, if you dont, your predestined to remain ill

so, there is no paradox, assuming destiny is real, you will get better, if that is your destiny, and if the doctor is required to get better, your have no other choice, every choice being predetermined

easy its your destiny to see the doctor duh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

let me ask you this: if you beleive in destiny, and whatever happens has already been decided, why question or try to fight it?

and if you don't beleive in destiny, then there's nothing to question or fight

so either way, just live your life as you see fit.

so if you get run over, it is your destiny to be run over. if you decide to go to hospital that is your destiny. if you decide to not go to hospital because you think you are tampering with your destiny, then that is your destiny.

because essentially, destiny is a path that cannot be obscured by anything. so every single little thing that we say do or think is all part of the plan(whatever the plan is) - even going against destiny itself.