Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

A Challenged Flight Deck

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1462 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yep plainglazed, that's me. I've had time to read and think just a little bit about this... not enough to flesh out an algorithm, but enough to appreciate how slick that approach is.

Spoiler for

#42 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

upph - and there you are EH. sorry but deleted that last post as i cant count and am rethinking. hopefully youve seen enough to get you going and can fix it for me.

well - within the spirit of the forum, should not have deleted that WRONG post so here it is...

Spoiler for What if it was an infinite deck?

kewl - tho getting pretty close to bonanova's "i can or i wont say" thread.

had a different go at 37 somewhat similar to the below but yours got me to the following

EDIT: which if i could add, would have known that this is also a solution for 37

Spoiler for a similar idea to plasmid's above combined with EventHorizon's to get 38

getting pretty close to that 3/4s which, anecdotally anyway, does seem like a logical limit after playing with this problem for a bit. but who knows? maybe 40's next. hope y'all dont mind that i've pretty much joined in on the solve.

#43 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

I've got a strategy that gets 38 (or more) on 99.8% of decks, and needs one more bit on the rest... one bit... grr.

Edit: Hey... 500th post!

v v v v doesn't work :(
Edit 2: I got a strategy that guarantees 38. I'm going to flush out this idea before posting (hoping I can get 39).

Edited by EventHorizon, 18 November 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#44 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Spoiler for Strategy that gets 38 99.8% of the time and 37 otherwise

I wondered where I could get that extra bit...
v v v v v doesn't work :(
Spoiler for so I made like the government and ...

Spoiler for Beyond 38

#45 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

sorry for the delayed response, EH. checked out your post briefly earlier and again just now tho have still not been able to study it in depth. an interesting approach. have highlighted my initial hangup in the quote below. am no doubt a little slow and will continue to ponder but for now am indeed having a hard time following the logic.

Spoiler for 3 bits, get 4 of 5 cards right, leave 2 bits

#46 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

sorry for the delayed response, EH. checked out your post briefly earlier and again just now tho have still not been able to study it in depth. an interesting approach. have highlighted my initial hangup in the quote below. am no doubt a little slow and will continue to ponder but for now am indeed having a hard time following the logic.

I didn't really explain it too well. Here's a (hopefully) better attempt to show that with 3 bits of information, you can get 4 of the next 5 cards right and still end up with 2 bits after
Spoiler for 3bits > 4of5 > 2bits

A couple examples
Spoiler for Example 1 - one of the first 3 cards is missed

Spoiler for Example 2 - the fourth card is missed

Example 2 shows that this method does not work as I thought it did, since I reached a contradiction. So back to the drawing board... hopefully something from this can be salvaged.

I think it may still work, but that I can't 'borrow' quite as many bits as I thought. I think there needs to be a 1 bit buffer at all times. Hopefully that solves the issue, but I'll need to look into it.

#47 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Came back to this one once again with a couple of thoughts on how to eek out a little more info from the lay of the cards then before.

Spoiler for first thought

Spoiler for second thought

Spoiler for 38 ???

again, hoping all that is in place and works. seemed like so many combinations were close but not quite. 39 might be tough…

Edited by plainglazed, 13 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.
poor cut and paste

#48 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

I think the bit debt idea will always have situations that produce contradictions, so I'm thinking it should be discarded.

I looked over plainglazed's 38, and I think it works. Nice.

Edit: I got another 38. It's slightly more complicated (1 more branch needed), but is based on yours, so I won't bother posting it. It uses 6of8's and 5of8's in combinations instead of groups of 5's in a bigger group of 20.

Edited by EventHorizon, 18 November 2012 - 02:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users