Typists problem

Question

If two typists can type two pages in two minutes, how many typists does it take to type 18 pages in 18 minutes?

64 answers to this question

I agree with the answer of two typists. It makes perfect sense, and if you set up an alegebraic equation, you also get an answer of two.

Here's the math:

Total Time= (Constant*Number of Pages)/Number of typists

T=KP/Y

2=2K/2

(2=2x/2)*2

(4=2K)/2

K, your constant = 2

Therefore- Total time=2*Number of pages/typists

(18=36/Y)*T

(18Y=36)/18

Y=2

So it will take 2 typists!

If two typists can type two pages in two minutes, then one typist can type one page in one minute, which means she can then types a page/minute and would be able then to type 18 pages in 18 minutes since it's still a 1:1 ratio.

Your wrong, the answer is 2. If two typist type 2 pages in 2 minutes then that meant each typist typed one page in a 2 min period meaning that each typist types at a rate of 1 page every 2 mins. in 18 mins each typist would type 9 pages so you would need 2 typist to types 18 pages in 18 mins.

Simple. Two. If t can type 2 in 2, 2 can type 18 in 18.

I've heard these many times, and there's a very simple way to solve them.

It really depends on how you look at it! People aren't wrong saying one or two. "2 typists can type two pages in two minutes" can be interpreted 2 different ways!!!

~~~If you are thinking each typist can type a page a minute, or "2 typists can EACH type two pages in two minutes", then your answer is ONE

~~~If you think each typist can type half a page a minute, or "2 typists can TOGETHER type two pages in two minutes", then your answer is TWO

So EACH (1:1 ratio) = One typist

TOGETHER (2:1 ratio) = Two typists

If two typists can type two pages in two minutes, how many typists does it take to type 18 pages in 18 minutes?

Simply 2 (if one typist can type one page in one minute, etc) :D

The answer is one because it only takes one typist to type one page in one minute. If the answer is 2 typist, then 18 pages will be done in 9 minutes. Not 18 minutes. ;)

Depends answer could be one, if each typist in the question could type one page per minute than one typist can type 18 pages in 18 minutes.

If they are a team and they can do 2 pages in 2 minutes only together then it , then you could say 9, or you could say 18. Depends on perception

ya this one is kinda popular.

2 because its all a 2:1 ratio.

think of it as dividing 2 by 2, and dividing 18 by 18... you get the same answer...1

although that had absolutley nothing to do with the answer.

(my 3rd post ever!!! yay.)

Damn,I almost fell for it... :lol:

ya i did 2 the first time i tried :lol:

2 typists!!! Because if two typists can together produce 2 typed pages in a span of two minutes then each typist can by themselves produce 1 pages every 2 minutes so...

1 typist: 1 page 2 minutes

1 typist: 1 page 2 minutes

Then 2 pages per 2 minutes then 2x9 and 2x9 = 18 pages in 18 minutes

so 2 typists!! They just type for an extra 16 minutes so an extra 16 pages!!!

Asked my Consultant E.T. (the guy in the pic) and he spelled it out simply:

It takes 2 typists 2 minutes to type 2 pages thus each typist types 1 page in that 2 minutes, still with me? I said yes.

Since it takes 1 typist 2 minutes to type 1 page, how many pages can he type in 18 minutes? 9 was my reply, he said "correct".

If 1 typist can type 9 pages in 18 minutes, how many typists would it take to type 18 pages in 18 minutes? I just nodded and said:

IT TAKES TWO TYPIST 18 MINUTES TO TYPE 18 PAGES.

One typist types one page in two minutes. His typing speed decreases in successive time and thus he will not be able to type 9 pages in 18 minutes. :)