BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

As usual with my riddles, the goal is to get it without hints but two spoilers are available. Spoiler 1 puts a different word instead of "people" in the riddle in paragraph 2. Spoiler 2 finishes the riddle. Kudos to anyone who figures it out without spoilers ... doubles kudos if you figure out how the riddle ends without looking at the spoilers (although the rhyme scheme helps)!

What am I?

I may be as simple as a handshake.

I may as complex as knowing when to say nothing.

I’m used with silence when making a mistake.

I’m used with gloves touching inside a ring.

I’m something that many people need,

But if they need me they rarely want me.

Without me people cannot succeed,

Win, yes, but success is not free.

I’m something that you have to choose;

Without me it’s not the same.

Remember it’s not if you ___ __ ____,

___ ___ ___ ____ ___ ____.

[ending in spoiler below.

...try the word "athletes".

...win or lose,

It’s how you play the game.

is it a show of respect?

As usual with my riddles, the goal is to get it without hints but two spoilers are available. Spoiler 1 puts a different word instead of "people" in the riddle in paragraph 2. Spoiler 2 finishes the riddle. Kudos to anyone who figures it out without spoilers ... doubles kudos if you figure out how the riddle ends without looking at the spoilers (although the rhyme scheme helps)!

What am I?

...win or lose,

conduct, or courtesy

What am I?

I'm used with silence when making a mistake.

I'm used with gloves touching inside a ring.

I'm something that many people need,

I'm something that you have to choose;

Without me it's not the same.

Remember it's not if you ___ __ ____,

...win or lose,

It's how you play the game.

Respect?

I'm something that you have to choose;

Without me it's not the same.

Remember it's not if you win or lose,

It's how you play the game.

Edit: After reading the other answers, I like Itachi's better: sportsmanship

Edited by Duh Puck

Are people missing this/can it be explained to the answers so far.

"I’m used with gloves touching inside a ring."

Don't see this fitting the sporty remarks

Are people missing this/can it be explained to the answers so far.

"I’m used with gloves touching inside a ring."

Don't see this fitting the sporty remarks

When boxers touch gloves at the start of a match it's a symbol of sportsmanship.

When boxers touch gloves at the start of a match it's a symbol of sportsmanship.

Thanks Puh Duck the right hook ha ha!

Sportsmanship or symbolism?

Sportsman ship is unheard of in boxing, defeats the object ot face off! Perhaps you are going back to the days of Gentleman Jim

Lost in Space, what do you mean there is no sportsmaship in boxing....your wrong, sportsmanship is the act of adhering to the rules of conduct of the sport. Boxing has rules, and they are followed. I think sportsmanship is a good answer to the rddle

Thanks Puh Duck the right hook ha ha!

Sportsmanship or symbolism?

Sportsman ship is unheard of in boxing, defeats the object ot face off! Perhaps you are going back to the days of Gentleman Jim

Many people have already got my intended 13-word answer. Nice job!

Um, does that mean nobody has correctly answered the riddle yet?

Edit: I think you meant 13-letter answer, and now I understand. Good puzzle, by the way.

Edited by Duh Puck

Lost in Space, what do you mean there is no sportsmaship in boxing....your wrong, sportsmanship is the act of adhering to the rules of conduct of the sport. Boxing has rules, and they are followed. I think sportsmanship is a good answer to the rddle

Sportsmanship was the obvious intended answer....

and Fighting, Pugilism, Full contact bloody thirsty contests are sporting. Trying to knock the other opponent to the floor is a sport. Then there is the face off and confrontation/psychological battle before they enter the ring for a "jolly good sporting bout of fisticuffs" while trying to be all sporty about it.

I'm not getting it. Can you explain pls

Thanks LIS

pls do not define sport, we know what that is - a contest in which there is a winner, an elite, a champion - my point is that sportsmanship can not exist in such competition, just like sticking to the rules of the Geneva convention for war.

Sportsmanship was the obvious intended answer....

and Fighting, Pugilism, Full contact bloody thirsty contests are sporting. Trying to knock the other opponent to the floor is a sport. Then there is the face off and confrontation/psychological battle before they enter the ring for a "jolly good sporting bout of fisticuffs" while trying to be all sporty about it.

I'm not getting it. Can you explain pls

Thanks LIS

pls do not define sport, we know what that is - a contest in which there is a winner, an elite, a champion - my point is that sportsmanship can not exist in such competition, just like sticking to the rules of the Geneva convention for war.

I think sportsmanship is demonstrating respect for yourself, your opponent, and the traditions of the sport. I think sportsmanship is about winning with humility and losing with graciousness. While you rarely see that in the over-hyped professional boxing world, you do see that on the amateur level all the time. I don't see the conflict. I think you're viewing sportsmanship as a weakness and "giving" something away from full effort and ruthlessness, and I just don't see that it is.

I think sportsmanship is demonstrating respect for yourself, your opponent, and the traditions of the sport. I think sportsmanship is about winning with humility and losing with graciousness. While you rarely see that in the over-hyped professional boxing world, you do see that on the amateur level all the time. I don't see the conflict. I think you're viewing sportsmanship as a weakness and "giving" something away from full effort and ruthlessness, and I just don't see that it is.

May I politely suggest you open your eyes rhapsodize, It's not a sport! it's a contest, a fight!

I think I'm not, sportsmanship is as you began to state (as above, and you phrase it well) I agree with you there.

And that says it all - ruthless sportsmanship. Come on rhapsodize a paradox!

Amateur is the same - rising would be FIGHTERS!

pls don't waste your time trying to convincing me that a barbaric contest has sportsmanship - Gladiators, are they sportsman too?

It was a good riddle, just lost the point for me on that particular line.

any one else have a view on this either way?

May I politely suggest you open your eyes rhapsodize, It's not a sport! it's a contest, a fight!

I think I'm not, sportsmanship is as you began to state (as above, and you phrase it well) I agree with you there.

And that says it all - ruthless sportsmanship. Come on rhapsodize a paradox!

Amateur is the same - rising would be FIGHTERS!

pls don't waste your time trying to convincing me that a barbaric contest has sportsmanship - Gladiators, are they sportsman too?

It was a good riddle, just lost the point for me on that particular line.

any one else have a view on this either way?

i think you have gotton off the riddle topic. This would be better moved to a more debate forum.

What am I?

...win or lose,

win or loose

it's how you play the game