BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

As usual with my riddles, the goal is to get it without hints but two spoilers are available. Spoiler 1 puts a different word instead of "people" in the riddle in paragraph 2. Spoiler 2 finishes the riddle. Kudos to anyone who figures it out without spoilers ... doubles kudos if you figure out how the riddle ends without looking at the spoilers (although the rhyme scheme helps)!

What am I?

I may be as simple as a handshake.

I may as complex as knowing when to say nothing.

I’m used with silence when making a mistake.

I’m used with gloves touching inside a ring.

I’m something that many people need,

But if they need me they rarely want me.

Without me people cannot succeed,

Win, yes, but success is not free.

I’m something that you have to choose;

Without me it’s not the same.

Remember it’s not if you ___ __ ____,

___ ___ ___ ____ ___ ____.

[ending in spoiler below.

...try the word "athletes".

...win or lose,

It’s how you play the game.

i think you have gotton off the riddle topic. This would be better moved to a more debate forum.

Dialogue is over the topic, and how it is arrived at - to me it's relevant. Start one up in others if you wish though JC

It's normal to discuss the construction of a riddle/puzzle etc - praise or otherwise.

That's why I have twice mentioned the riddle previously

Dialogue is over the topic, and how it is arrived at - to me it's relevant. Start one up in others if you wish though JC

It's normal to discuss the construction of a riddle/puzzle etc - praise or otherwise.

That's why I have twice mentioned the riddle previously

LiS-

It seems to me that all of your comments are predicated on everyone having the same opinion of you, that boxing is a bloody, violent encounter whose aspects go beyond the traditional sporting event.

I hope you realize many people wouldn't consider this true, and while I respect your opinion, and know that many people share it, I hope you realize many people consider boxing a sport equal with others, violence non-withstanding.

I don't really think there's any more debate here ... you are arguing from a set of assumptions that I find false, and vice-versa. We're not going to agree on each others views of boxing as a sport, so any subsequent debate on the sportsmanship of it is irrelevant unless we have some commonality on whether it is a sport like any other individual competition (tennis, track events, figure skating, etc.) I believe it is. You don't. All arguments stem from this lack of commonality of viewpoint.

LiS-

It seems to me that all of your comments are predicated on everyone having the same opinion of you, that boxing is a bloody, violent encounter whose aspects go beyond the traditional sporting event.

I hope you realize many people wouldn't consider this true, and while I respect your opinion, and know that many people share it, I hope you realize many people consider boxing a sport equal with others, violence non-withstanding.

I don't really think there's any more debate here ... you are arguing from a set of assumptions that I find false, and vice-versa. We're not going to agree on each others views of boxing as a sport, so any subsequent debate on the sportsmanship of it is irrelevant unless we have some commonality on whether it is a sport like any other individual competition (tennis, track events, figure skating, etc.) I believe it is. You don't. All arguments stem from this lack of commonality of viewpoint.

First paragraph is me deciding what everyone thinks....about a "traditional SPORT"

Second paragraph - how many is many? Then i might realize.

Third paragraph is not quite true regarding a 'set of assumptions' - It's a point of view that I am making.

butl if that's how you want to conclude the discussion then fine. I'll post a general one in others - you can join if you wish.