BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

22 answers to this question

War - The longest day (probably the longest film)

Musical My fair lady/Pygmalion -(Audrey Hepburn - sueperb)

Samuari - Red Sun ( Nipon v US)

Ninja - none that I can remember?

Edited by Lost in space

"The Bridge on the River Kwai" is the best war movie! I've seen it as a kid (I couldn't even read I think, but I sat through the entire movie) and as a grownup and I didn't change my mind about it.

I still didn't watch some of those on the list and I always wanted to. And since I'm bored with the movies that are presented in cinema these days I just might watch those on the list! :)

War: Band of Brothers.

If by Samuri you mean "Martial Arts", i vote Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Crouching Tiger is great, but I actually meant just Samurai. A year or so ago, I went on a Samurai Film watching spree. It's definitely its own genre IMO. I'd call Crouching Tiger Martial Arts/Fantasy, certainly not Samurai. Samurai is really more of an ideal. A film like Ghost Dog is basically a Samurai movie and there is barely even a sword shown in the whole thing. Anything along the lines of a warrior who lives by a "noble" code would fit.

Did you see Hero with Jet Li? It's very similar in style to Crouching Tiger and I would actually call it better. They're both done by awesome directors: Ang Lee and Zhang Yimou. Yimou has been slipping lately though <_< I wouldn't recommend his new stuff.

Crouching Tiger is great, but I actually meant just Samurai. A year or so ago, I went on a Samurai Film watching spree. It's definitely its own genre IMO. I'd call Crouching Tiger Martial Arts/Fantasy, certainly not Samurai. Samurai is really more of an ideal. A film like Ghost Dog is basically a Samurai movie and there is barely even a sword shown in the whole thing. Anything along the lines of a warrior who lives by a "noble" code would fit.

Did you see Hero with Jet Li? It's very similar in style to Crouching Tiger and I would actually call it better. They're both done by awesome directors: Ang Lee and Zhang Yimou. Yimou has been slipping lately though <_< I wouldn't recommend his new stuff.

I cant remember seeing all that many Samurai movies, though it is not really my culture. So I thought I would do MA movies instead. I have not seen hero, perhaps I should go and hire it out tonight!

I cant remember seeing all that many Samurai movies, though it is not really my culture. So I thought I would do MA movies instead. I have not seen hero, perhaps I should go and hire it out tonight!

Hero is good, I though Forbidden Kingdom was pretty good too

Sorry, but Forbidden Kingdom was the epitome of suckiness :P The 'Monkey King'? It was so cheesy and so childish and so predictable... The Jet Li and Jackie Chan fight scenes were AWESOME (obviously) but the plot sucked

If entire movie was one GIANT fight scene between Jet Li and Jackie Chan=Best Movie Award B))

War: Saving Private Ryan

Action: I Am Legend

Samuri: The last Samuri

If entire movie was one GIANT fight scene between Jet Li and Jackie Chan=Best Movie Award B))

War: Saving Private Ryan

Action: I Am Legend

Samuri: The last Samuri

I wouldn't call I am legend a action movie..

I wouldn't call I am legend a action movie..

and I wouldn't call Last Samurai a Samurai movie. It is, but I just personally hate it. Sorry, I know it's popular, but I'm venting here ;) Tom Cruise? Tom Cruise? It was like Dances with Wolves only instead of Native Americans getting raped and pillaged it was the essence of true-blood samurai movies...

...such as Sword of Doom. -I didn't post this one in the poll, because it is not well known, but it's really great. Anything with Toshiro Mifune is a Masterpiece essentially. Look him up on IMDB and just rent or Netflix all the highest rated films. No one will be disappointed. B))

I would like to add

Titan AE ( Sci-Fi)

Thirteenth Floor (Sci-fi and Thriller)

Waterworld (Sci-Fi , and Action)

EXISTENZ ( Sci-Fi and Thriller)

to the list of nonimations..

Existenz is awesome. I love Cronenberg! Scanners, Videodrome, etc... he's crazy.

Wasn't a fan of Waterworld though. I haven't seen the other 2 (adding to mental list) ;)

Existenz is awesome. I love Cronenberg! Scanners, Videodrome, etc... he's crazy.

Wasn't a fan of Waterworld though. I haven't seen the other 2 (adding to mental list) ;)

Titan AE is Animated Sci Fi, about the exploration of a new Earth after the old one was destroyed.

Thirteenth Floor was an sci-fi thriller about virtual realities ( along the lines of the matrix with not as much action). Have a serperb ending.

I judge movies based mostly on story, and dont care too much about actors/acting/special effects etc. and The Thirteenth Floor has a seperb story.

It took me an hour to find the title to Existenz ( I couldn;t remember what it was called ).

I also would like to nonimate "The Blair Witch Project" ( not sure if in the right topic) for the horror/thriller catagory (Not sure what it is). I though the movie was stupid, but the amount of craze it had when release was amazing for a movie budget of 20000 ( or close ) ammount.

Sorry, but Forbidden Kingdom was the epitome of suckiness :P The 'Monkey King'? It was so cheesy and so childish and so predictable... The Jet Li and Jackie Chan fight scenes were AWESOME (obviously) but the plot sucked

Sorry...my turn to "have to rant"... :rolleyes:

Yeah..."Monkey King"...they basically took an awesome epic legendary Chinese literary work called "Journey to the West" and abridged it to death (the actual work is really long...and did I mention epic? ;P), totally messed up the plot, caricatured most of the characters, and made an American the main character... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... (yes, my period key is getting worn out...but it's just *that* frustrating XP)

"Journey to the West" is one of my favorite literary works of all time and it could totally be made into the next popular movie series, like LOTR. It has centuries of history and its appeal is time-tested and proven. The main character is actually the monkey, Sun Wu-Kong, who was born of stone, became king of the monkeys (hence 'Monkey King'), then traveled and learned Zen secrets, made himself so powerful that the Heavens sent ppl to try and squelch him, and he defeated each progressively powerful adversary. Finally, in order to control him, they offered him a position in Heaven, but when he found out he was actually the stable-hand, he got pissed and started reeking havoc...snuck into the sacred peach garden and ate some peaches of immortality, fought with Heavenly Warriors, defeated all of them...basically, the phrase is (my attempt at translation) "turned the Heavens upside down"...then *finally* is defeated by the great Buddha, who traps him under a mountain, until such a time as he is freed by a monk who is traveling to the West to gain these Scriptures for his king. They go on adventures and pick up new allies and fight demonic enemies...pure epicness...:D

And I have a sneaking suspicion that the kind of hot-headed, stubborn, strong, fight-loving anime character was modeled after him...;P

Anyways...there's my rant on how I hate seeing the awesomeness of one of the greatest literary works of all time ruined by Hollywood greed and ignorance...:P

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Water world was water logged and dances with wolves had too little depth too.

Kevin cosner film 'No Wat Out' with Gene hackman - great suspense thriller - my favorite genre, but do ike martial arts, samurai and still have shinobi (has some interesting cinemaphotgraphy/slowmo), on my list to see for ninja.

I like idealism in films and none of the mad blood thirsty chainsaw stuff

FanQ for LIStening

Edited by Lost in space