BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

Four people (and their dogs of course) all competed in different classes of dog agility at a recent dog show. Each had a different result - one came first, one third, one fourth and one ninth. All four dogs were each of a different breed.

Who handled which dog, at what level each competed, the place each finished in and the breed of each dog?

1. If Tiff finished first then Terry finished fourth.

2. If Terry finished fourth then Jago is a collie otherwise Jago is not a collie.

3. If Jane competed in the Senior class then she finished third.

4. If Jane competed in Novice then she finished fourth.

5. The dog that finished ninth was an alsatian. This was either Jago, in which case Jago competed in the Elementary class, or this was Kelly, in which case Terry handled Kelly.

6. Mark won Starters.

7. If Mark's dog is called Patti then Patti is a labrador otherwise Patti is a collie.

8. Ruth's dog is called Jago.

9. If Jago finished fourth then she competed in the Novice class otherwise she competed in the Senior class.

10. If Patti finished first then Terry's dog is an alsatian otherwise Terry's dog is a collie.

11. If Jane's dog is a doberman then Jane finished fourth otherwise Jane finished third.

7 answers to this question

I get grey cells result with one exception:

Jane and Terry competed in Senior and Elementary class in some order.

I don't see a clue that resolves this.

Seems either answer is consistent with the clues.

If Clue 3 read:

If Jane placed 3rd then Jane competed on Senior class

that would resolve it; but Clue 3 places the inference in the other order, which isn't needed.

What did I miss?

I get grey cells result with one exception:

Jane and Terry competed in Senior and Elementary class in some order.

I don't see a clue that resolves this.

Seems either answer is consistent with the clues.

If Clue 3 read:

If Jane placed 3rd then Jane competed on Senior class

that would resolve it; but Clue 3 places the inference in the other order, which isn't needed.

What did I miss?

I hope I have the logic right in this response, I'm really tired ;) I understand you're point, but I think this part is a matter of elimination.

We know Mark was 1st by 6.

Numbers 5. and 10. state that Terry and the Alsatian finished 9th.

Since Starters is clearly Mark, and between 4. 8. and 9. we know Ruth is Novice and 4th.

Now all that is left is 3rd which is addressed in the clue you have pointed out. I agree that your wording is more efficient, but in these puzzles I think it is expected that all the information should be available and the only option for Jane is 3rd. Since Jane finished 3rd I believe it makes clue 3. true despite the wording.

Basically if Jane competed _ class then she was 3rd. In order to satisfy her being 3rd, she must have been senior (the stated) class. Perhaps my logic is wrong on this though.

I hope I have the logic right in this response, I'm really tired ;) I understand you're point, but I think this part is a matter of elimination.

We know Mark was 1st by 6.

Numbers 5. and 10. state that Terry and the Alsatian finished 9th.

Since Starters is clearly Mark, and between 4. 8. and 9. we know Ruth is Novice and 4th.

Now all that is left is 3rd which is addressed in the clue you have pointed out. I agree that your wording is more efficient, but in these puzzles I think it is expected that all the information should be available and the only option for Jane is 3rd. Since Jane finished 3rd I believe it makes clue 3. true despite the wording.

Basically if Jane competed _ class then she was 3rd. In order to satisfy her being 3rd, she must have been senior (the stated) class. Perhaps my logic is wrong on this though.

... the solution with Jane as Senior is consistent with the clues.

But I don't think the clues rule out Jane being Elementary and Terry being Senior.

At least I don't see a clue that solution violates. Maybe there is one; I just didn't see it.

I liked this one.

Your use of conditionals throughout made this a challenge.

I've been a fan of this this type of puzzle for a long time, and it's nice to see a challenging one here. :)