BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Rules

-After sign-ups end and the game starts, do not post in the game thread if you are not part of the game. If you have any questions or something relating to the round or your role, PM me.

-Please don't cheat. Follow your character's guidelines. If you are caught breaking rules, you're out and will be barred from future games.

-The two phases begin and end when I say. Sometimes, a phase will end sooner, if all actions have been completed or something like that. For example, if everyone votes to go to sleep, the Daytime Phase will immediately end. If no further action can be taken during the day, it will end. Once all special characters have PMed me their choices, the Night Phase will end. I will try to give you a rought time as to when the phase will end, if I can.

-Any game questions, even from participants, must be PMed to me. Like, if you don't understand your role. Do not ask questions that can damage gameplay in the thread.

-If you are a special character who can act, PM me during the Night Phase.

-It's recommended that all participants keep an eye on the top of the page, to see if they have new messages.

-Once you're dead, you can still post, but you can't give any hints if you know someone's identity, nor can you vote. Don't even pretend-vote, because with so many players, it's easy for me to mistakenly count a vote from a dead player.

-Do not sign up if you think you can't post regularily. If there are any issues that will prevent you from posting, contact me, and I'll see what I can do. Also, remember that people are human. I need to sleep too, so I may on occassion end/start the phases a little earlier or later than originally stated.

-You can't take back which power you decided to use or who you decided to use it on.

-PMs special characters send me during the Daytime Phases will usually be considered null, unless there is a specific reason the PM was sent at that time. This cannot happen on a regular basis.

-Please try and participate. You don't technically have to speak up during the Daytime Phases, but it's good for the game. The same goes for those of you that have special powers. The game can't continue during a Night Phase until you've all contacted me. In the case of special powers, attempting to cheat by repeatedly being absent in an effort not to have to choose anyone will result in removal from the game. If there is a reason why you can't contact me during the Night Phase, explain and PM me your choice and action during the Day Phase.

-Read through the game thread carefully once the game begins. It's good to know what's going on.

-People new to this kind of game, please know that you shouldn't generally reveal who you are. I'm just worried I'll pass out the roles and people will complain and reveal who they got. You CAN say who you are, but it's wise to only do that as a form of strategy.

-Due to some participation problems, most special characters will have understudies in the form of another character. If they fail after an extended period of time to contact me with a name or an action, then I will PM their understudy. The understudies will not know who the username of the person they make choices for, and in the cases of stuff like investigations, it will still be the original person who gets the information. L's understudy will be Near or Watari(if Near is dead), Near's understudy will be Watari and vice-versa, Wedy's understudy will be Watari, Jealous' understudy will be Rem, and Mello's understudy will be Matt and vice-versa. Since there is usually more than one Kira, they will not really need understudies. If it comes down to one Kira who is not present, Rem will be the understudy. Due to the nature of their powers, Rem, Shidoh, and Kiyome will not have understudies, and understudies will not know if their partner possesses the Eyes or a Death Note.

-If a Majority is reached, voting is frozen.

-This is a fast-paced game and participation is a must. Please do not sign up if you will not be readily available to play. Players are expected to join in the Daytime Phase discussions, vote when people are accused, and PM me promptly if they have special powers to use. If you keep people waiting, understudies might be contacted, or you might even be removed from the game, if it gets bad enough. I don't want to have people dropping out mid-game or asking to be replaced.

• Answers 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm not lying. I won't name the person, but there was someone who did just that-the host told me themselves. I fought like heck and was allowed to play. thankfully.

Civil is not making mean comments about people. The quote in Molly's sig is not civil. You insinuating I stole this game is not civil. Things like that.

Just because this is a little different than what you are used to, doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a try.

Deducing is different in this game than most games played around here. You have the freedom to contact your other players without restriction. You can trade information. But you can never be certain who to trust. People can lie, after all.

I did not insinuate you stole anything...actually you did by claiming to not be a member who has been banned from several sites already. But that's not the point.

And since you brought it up, what you may not realize is that nobody at MM has any authority to prevent you from playing any games on here. You say you fought like heck? I don't know enough about that to comment, but I do know that two people (1 more than the other) fought pretty hard to keep you from being ostracized here. Bet you can't guess who.

And regarding the differences...that's fine. But you need to understand that as the host it is your job to make sure we understand that. What will ruin your game is players who are not using every resource available to them. You are fighting us in trying to understand this game actually, which is weird because even you have acknowledged several times that it differs from Den Style.

See, you're doing it again. You're insinuating things. I said I was not Yomiel. And I'm not.

As a new member of this site, which I was at the time, I didn't know any such thing. It made sense that a host could say a certain person couldn't play. This host said that someone from MM had contacted him and tried to use his position there to force the host to bar me. But that's more a discussion for PM.

I feel the that game posts properly explain what you can and can't do. The differences are pretty minor overall. But since no one is really signing up, people may never get a chance to see that.

I am doing what again? I never even mentioned Yomiel.

And again the differences are not minor, but I think you believe they are because you still refuse to take the time to understand how we do things here, instead saying we're doing them wrong.

See, you keep doing it. You were clearly talking about Yomiel, even if you didn't say the name.

The differences really are minor.

We're just talking in circles here. You should try before you judge it.

Sak-C, you *just* mentioned for the first time that we are allowed free contact with other players. This site is so used to Den style that we would have assumed we could not PM other players, and a valuable resource would have been wasted. That's the kind of thing maurice and Molly are trying to find out.

But I wasn't talking about Yomiel...I forgot about her. I was talking about Yammy-Chan or whatever her name was.

Anyway, thanks for the invite, but I doubt I will be playing. It just doesn't seem like minor differences and like I said, I am not a manga fan. In fact I just turned down an offer to play a manga mafia for much the same reasoning.

edit -

Sak-C, you *just* mentioned for the first time that we are allowed free contact with other players. This site is so used to Den style that we would have assumed we could not PM other players, and a valuable resource would have been wasted. That's the kind of thing maurice and Molly are trying to find out.

Yes. Especially when your first rule is do not cheat. This is the biggest rule for us here - no illegal BTSC. Again, I feel that you are fighting us on this, when in reality we are trying to draw out information from you so that we do understand the game.

Edited by maurice

I was never accuse of being Yami, and I'm not Yami. Now you're trying to claim I'm somebody else?-.-

My game has it's own rules, which are posted. There is no rule that says you can't PM amongst yourselves.

Right, but again you fail (or just flat out refuse) to realize how we do things here. Few games explicitly say do not pm others. Its is not needed. Why? Because we don't normally allow it. It is in the newbie guide that we've asked you to read. So it is an implicit rule. If you want to have a rule that differs from the norm, that is fine and dandy...but you really should make it explicit.

And I won't get into the whole Yami thing. It is quite obvious to everyone, but that is neither here nor there. I do not know why "she" was banned, though you may know.

I don't have the time to play this, don't really have time to play Coup either, but I will ask this question.

What time frame do you have for the Day and Night Phases? I know that you said when you say they do, but does that mean 1 day, 3 days, a week, 3 weeks? I know the majority rule, but if no one gets to 1+half needed for majority?

This isn't trying to sound mean or uncivil, but I ask a lot of questions about the games that I have helped to set up/check out for balance, even if the answers are obvious since I don't want to miss something that could cost me/my team the game.

Again, my game has it's own rules, which are right there for everyone to see.

Do you even know Yami? Because it doesn't sound like you do, since you have no idea what happened. Therefore, I don't know why you feel you can claim I'm her, even as you know that I'm struggling to deal with the other false accusation.

I don't mine people asking questions. I do the same. I'm not a fan of long phases. Day Phases will not last more than 24 hours, and Night Phases are likely to be shorter. And I'm not sure what you mean by the 1+ half thing.

But your rules aren't there for all to see. For example, the ability to pm others. And if they are there for all to see why not repeat them? Surely I can't be expected to go look for them, right?

BTW, I do not know Yammi. I said I don't know why she was banned but hoped you could shed some light...this is her game after all and it never got to be played. She didn't allow others to take it over, but you claim she gave it to you. So I'm just curious as to why she was banned.

Yes, majority ends the Day. And Framm, you may want to consider signing up. This game generally doesn't take a lot of time.

The rules are right there on the first page. There is nothing about PMing one another not being allowed. As for Yami, talk to her if you want her story. You've apparently been stalking one of us, which is really creepy.

It's not going to fill up if no one takes the time to sign up.>_> It's been open for a while, and the previous Mafia game has ended. MissKitten is still the only person who has signed up.

@Sak-C no one's put "no PMs between players" in the rules for awhile. The Newbie Guide to Mafia for this site says that there are no PMs between players unless specifically authorized, so that's been one of the base rules that doesn't need to be stated here. Since it is something against the standard rules, it needs to be made explicit in your rules. It has now, but, because it goes against the standard rules, should have been in the first post.

Sakura-chan, please read particularly spoiler #3. To quote:

c ) BTSC

BTSC = Behind The Scenes Contact

Forms of BTSC:

* PMing

* host-setup method of communication (such as secret BTSC forums)

* player-setup method of communication (AIM, MSN, email, etc)

* talking irl (in real life) about the game, if you know another player irl

Note that BTSC is almost always NEVER ALLOWED! Do NOT EVER btsc with ANYONE unless EXPLICITLY told BY THE HOST that you are allowed to. Nobody cheats in Mafia. People find out, and you are basically exiled. If you PM somebody about the game, usually they will lightly warn you that BTSC is not allowed, or possibly tell the host immediately. Either way, BTSC serves no actual purpose because nobody trusts anybody and it's likely to make you more suspicious and possibly get you killed within the next phase. So even if BTSC was allowed in a game (it won't be), nobody would use it. Bottom line: don't BTSC unless it was explicitly allowed for you

First, what exactly counts as BTSC? Of course you can PM and chat to your friends, even if they are playing in the same Mafia game. But you can't discuss strategy, roles, events, desires about the game, ANYTHING. Anything that conveys information, probes for information, etc. No letting slip your opinion on the lynch vote during an AIM conversation. I find that that's the most common form of "accidental BTSC"

Roles with BTSC:

* baddie factions generally have BTSC as a group-wide ability. This means that all members in the faction can chat with each other

* sometimes, two members of the majority faction ("the Innocents") get BTSC as a special part of their roles. Or sometimes they don't start out with the BTSC but have the possibility of obtaining it. All of this will be described by the host, so only use BTSC if you're sure

Another form of BTSC is where the host may slip information, whether by accident or on purpose - this is covered more in section VII.

Bold and size change mine, to emphasize the relevant part. This is standard rules on the site. You've changed one of them without making it explicit.

This is driving me crazy. None of you actually want to play the game, just criticize it. Just stop it already. No more posting unless you either want to sign up or ask a question about the game.

Everyone who has posted has asked a game related question...you won't answer them. We like receptive hosts here...mayhaps that is why nobody has signed up, save Miki...will you answer this question?

So if there is no majority, will the Day end at a given time? What if there is a tie?

Edited by maurice

Actually, I have another question regarding majority lynch vote. One of the reasons we try to reach majority [or at least why I try to reach majority] is to get people talking. Once I'm sure of their role I may or may not change my vote. You rule doesn't allow for vote changing. If the vote was majority, but then a bunch of people wanted to change their vote to another person, and that would be majority, what would happen?

Rules

-After sign-ups end and the game starts, do not post in the game thread if you are not part of the game. If you have any questions or something relating to the round or your role, PM me.

-Please don't cheat. Follow your character's guidelines. If you are caught breaking rules, you're out and will be barred from future games.

I do not see anything in the character section that appear to be rules. How can I know what I might do is cheating? ... Upon more reading, do you only consider not submitting an action to be cheating? Since BTSC is allowed by everyone...what other basic cheating could there be?

-The two phases begin and end when I say. Sometimes, a phase will end sooner, if all actions have been completed or something like that. For example, if everyone votes to go to sleep, the Daytime Phase will immediately end. If no further action can be taken during the day, it will end. Once all special characters have PMed me their choices, the Night Phase will end. I will try to give you a rought time as to when the phase will end, if I can.

So if all players submit their Night actions early, and say a few go to sleep due to timezone, the Day phase could begin and majority reached for voting before they even wake up?

Can the Night Phase end before everyone has submitted their Shinigami Eyes guess? Since they might not be special characters.

-Any game questions, even from participants, must be PMed to me. Like, if you don't understand your role. Do not ask questions that can damage gameplay in the thread.

-If you are a special character who can act, PM me during the Night Phase.

-It's recommended that all participants keep an eye on the top of the page, to see if they have new messages.

-Once you're dead, you can still post, but you can't give any hints if you know someone's identity, nor can you vote. Don't even pretend-vote, because with so many players, it's easy for me to mistakenly count a vote from a dead player.

So if a player believes chaos will serve their team they could filibuster the game thread after they die?

-Do not sign up if you think you can't post regularily. If there are any issues that will prevent you from posting, contact me, and I'll see what I can do. Also, remember that people are human. I need to sleep too, so I may on occassion end/start the phases a little earlier or later than originally stated.

-You can't take back which power you decided to use or who you decided to use it on.

-PMs special characters send me during the Daytime Phases will usually be considered null, unless there is a specific reason the PM was sent at that time. This cannot happen on a regular basis.

Is this for Night Actions or in general? If general is there a limit to PM'ing questions to you during the Day phase?

-Please try and participate. You don't technically have to speak up during the Daytime Phases, but it's good for the game. The same goes for those of you that have special powers. The game can't continue during a Night Phase until you've all contacted me. In the case of special powers, attempting to cheat by repeatedly being absent in an effort not to have to choose anyone will result in removal from the game. If there is a reason why you can't contact me during the Night Phase, explain and PM me your choice and action during the Day Phase.

So players do not have the choice to abstain from acting?

-Read through the game thread carefully once the game begins. It's good to know what's going on.

-People new to this kind of game, please know that you shouldn't generally reveal who you are. I'm just worried I'll pass out the roles and people will complain and reveal who they got. You CAN say who you are, but it's wise to only do that as a form of strategy.

-Due to some participation problems, most special characters will have understudies in the form of another character. If they fail after an extended period of time to contact me with a name or an action, then I will PM their understudy. The understudies will not know who the username of the person they make choices for, and in the cases of stuff like investigations, it will still be the original person who gets the information. L's understudy will be Near or Watari(if Near is dead), Near's understudy will be Watari and vice-versa, Wedy's understudy will be Watari, Jealous' understudy will be Rem, and Mello's understudy will be Matt and vice-versa. Since there is usually more than one Kira, they will not really need understudies. If it comes down to one Kira who is not present, Rem will be the understudy. Due to the nature of their powers, Rem, Shidoh, and Kiyome will not have understudies, and understudies will not know if their partner possesses the Eyes or a Death Note.

Can you define "extended period of time"? It appears that you expect actions every night phase, so does that mean you might contact them during the first night phase that a player appears to possibly be absent?

-If a Majority is reached, voting is frozen.

How do you expect voting to work? Can we accuse people without voting for them? Asking because in normal games voting is used as accusations. Can votes change prior to majority?

-This is a fast-paced game and participation is a must. Please do not sign up if you will not be readily available to play. Players are expected to join in the Daytime Phase discussions, vote when people are accused, and PM me promptly if they have special powers to use. If you keep people waiting, understudies might be contacted, or you might even be removed from the game, if it gets bad enough. I don't want to have people dropping out mid-game or asking to be replaced.

Will no one else sign up?@_@ Why ask questions if you're not going to sign up?

There are a lot of Mafia games that end the Day Phase once voting reaches majority. This is a rule that may change in the future, but it's currently in place mostly because of my unstable sleep schedule.

Character guidelines refer merely to the the descriptions of the character's abilities and the related rules. For example, PMing me during the Night Phase with your action.

Night Phase can end quickly, but due to the large number of characters, it often doesn't. The game used to go too fast, so some changes were made. And yes, the Night Phase can end before the Shinigami Eyes PMs are all sent in.

Filibuster?O_o Dead playesr are allowed to post, but they can't reveal information they know or influence the game. And the can't get out of control or troll or anything like that.

There is no limit to asking questions. If you have a question, PM and ask it.

All players who can act must act, with the exception or Rem.

There is no clear definition for "extended period of time". It basically just means that I don't want the game to be put on hold because of one or two people.

Voting works pretty normally. You can change your vote before majority is reached. And of course you can accuse a person without voting for them.O_o