BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

SANCTUARY

Somewhere high in the vast jagged eternity of the Himalayas exists a timeless cluster of weathered stone buildings, clinging to the icy cliff face, attacked by howling alpine winds, only accessible by an ancient winding path, a stone stairway said to be cut into existence by the gods themselves. Nobody has climbed this stairway in centuries.

In 1907, British explorer Charles Norway, said to have gone insane in search of the elusive Yeti (whom only his fierce Australian rival Buck Lancaster claimed to have witnessed a year earlier), took his team of fellow explorers, assistants and admirers with him into the deadly peaks of the Himalayas, never to be seen again. After a month of pointless wandering, their last known contact with the outside world, at the monastery of Paro Taktsang, went down in legend as being bizarre. Norway, caked in ice and missing many digits (as well as most of his crew), was said to have been speaking in tongues, uttering things about a terrible disease, about a prisoner of the gods, about a simple truth that threatened to undermine society. Then he and his most loyal friends and mountaineers disappeared again, forever.

Ten years later, near the end of World War I, renowned expeditioner Bront Brontson and an international crew of dedicated scientists, mountaineers, military officers and local Nepalese are on the trail after a decade of fading public interest in the story of (posthumously knighted) Sir Norway. It began with the discovery of Norway's base camp at the foot of a colossal, antediluvian staircase carved directly into a massive mountain, a mountain too newly discovered (or rather, re-discovered) to even have been named yet.

However, something quickly became clear. Due to the nature of the mountain and surrounding topography, every day vicious winds slice across the face, making it impossible to travel. Night is calmer but not by much, forcing the explorers into a nocturnal assault. It's constantly snowing. It's tough going - the staircase has been eroded and reshaped over many many years into a hazardous ascent: part ice-chute, part collapsing ruin. In some places where the mountains have oozed apart, blocks are dangerously close to dropping directly into abysses and chasms below. It's cold. There may not be enough supplies. And there's something out there, in the snow. Something deadly.

And not just that. The very first day of the staircase's discovery, at the same instant everyone beheld the much distant shape of what might just be a building near the top of the mountain, Bront Brontson was murdered, from behind, with an icicle.

When I see how many people join I'll then put up the names/professions/slight backstory of everyone in the group, you can choose which you want. But of course each role has secrets too. There are more things going on than meets the eye.

Brontson's Team:

[1] …

[2] …

• Answers 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

By the way; I forgot to add this: in 10-12 days a rescue team (pre-arranged) will arrive at the plateau. So don't worry about food rations on the way back to civilization, afterwards. If that's a concern or whatever

Oh. >_> I thought on the way back to civilization included back down the mountain.. :unsure:

Anyway, I'm leaving now then. The faster I complete the hike, the better.

Nischal:

Arrrgghh. Do we have enough rations to get back ourselves? Let him go. I'm tired of this incohesiveness. It may be the downfall of Mandrake, but not I. I suggest seeing what we may discover of Gregor on our way back down to the plateau.

*yells up towards Mandrake*

Your actions do not encourage "peace". I hope your Magic Sky Noodle is not too busy flapping his garlic bread arms right now because you will need him. I will say a brief prayer to Andhi and Jado that they leave you be. Sanrakshak, well he won't ever listen to reason. Hopefully Kamchatka has mercy on you and will steer Sanrakshak away from you.

Peace is something we find within ourselves, and where not better than here, where we really learn who we are?!

Hey American, I can see you're thinking. Join me? There'll be no way for any of us to get back down the mountain if we do so in uneven numbers because of the ice that needs equal weight.

Peace is something we find within ourselves, and where not better than here, where we really learn who we are?!

Hey American, I can see you're thinking. Join me? There'll be no way for any of us to get back down the mountain if we do so in uneven numbers because of the ice that needs equal weight.

Nischal:

Yeah, I was made to believe you were a proponent of peace and a natural leader. You have antagonized from day one. That is not acting as a proponent of peace would nor a natural leader. Leaders do not bark out commands and say well, this is what I'm doing. Leaders require followers. And I do believe at this time you are defficient in that category.

I was given a passive crew that would rather sit around and let us all slowly die than act. I am leading. Those wise enough to do so will follow. Everyone else should turn around now. Either way, staying here, for what, the third day, ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING.

Willem:

Dear John, I don't want to quarrel here cause arguing is only wasting energy. But please control yourself. We are at a area where all the important resources are limited. I not sure you suddenly becoming so upset is due to some smell of flora that stimulate you (but I didn't smell anything for the moment), but...you are not like what you should behave.

Scout, can you describe how the lichen looks like? Hope it is not the Skymoss.

So far as I can see, those who wish to continue up are:

Brother Mandrake

Calcutta (me)

Mr. Kirkpatrick (dated info)

Vick (dated info)

Vice Admiral (dated info)

Those who want to retreat:

Nischal

John the Savage

And Unknown:

Scout

Willem Klein

Dr. Hieronymus Fabricius

Admittedly, we haven't heard from Vick, Kirkpatrick or the Vice Admiral in a while, but they all seemed determined to continue when they last offered an opinion. Scout, Klein and Fabricius have all been less clear on their goals or wants.

It would seem that the hot springs will help alleviate frostbite for a time and it is possible that the lichen could be edible, if you cared for such things. Perhaps Klein could examine the lichen if he wants to continue up with the rest of us? I doubt he will find anything like that lichen anywhere else in the world.

I do not find the count of those who wish to end the quest to be so one-sided. So far, nothing super-natural has occurred on this trek. I have been on this mountain longer than the rest of you and I am not convinced of Nischal's warnings, considering that they are not primary-sourced.

Willem, what is skymoss? :huh:

I was given a passive crew that would rather sit around and let us all slowly die than act. I am leading. Those wise enough to do so will follow. Everyone else should turn around now. Either way, staying here, for what, the third day, ACCOMPLISHES NOTHING.

Nischal:

This is ridiculous. Inactivity has been due to certain voices saying we must do this, acting rashly and not wishing to listen to everyone's viewpoints. That is not leadership. Maybe that behavior constitued leadership in prison, but not on this mountain.

And those wise enough? Survival means we return, not head up this mountain where Death awaits. How is it wise to follow you? Do you have a lucky lasagne noodle in your pocket that we aren't aware of?

So far, nothing super-natural has occurred on this trek. I have been on this mountain longer than the rest of you and I am not convinced of Nischal's warnings, considering that they are not primary-sourced.

Nischal:

Not primary sourced? Have you not been witness to two deaths, frostbite, extreme conditions? All of this despite Brother Mandrake's prayers to some spaghetti deity? Mayhaps its time to see what the Swimming Meatball Creature can do for us?

Nischal:

My fellow expeditionists, I apologize for my blow up, and I especially apologize to you Brother Mandrake. I made you a promise regarding your religion that I have failed to live up to. Please believe that my outburst was due to seeing Brother Mandrake grab rations and decide for the group what would be done. I am a team player and do not believe this to be team oriented nor leaderlike. Unfortunately we lost our leader and while there is a void, I have seen nothing to suggest Brother Mandrake is the one to fill it. I am willing to continue on with this expedition. There are many questions, some lifelong, that I would loved answered, firsthand preferably. However, I would like to suggest that either Brontson the younger or Scout or John take the reigns of this expedition. I can not see it succeeding any other way. And again, success means survival.

Have you not noticed that we're on a mountain? That's what happens when it's cold, bro.

Nischal:

Yes, I have noticed. We are where the guardian spirits are. Frostbite is what happens when Jado is angered and his sanctuary is threatened.

I have warned and some travesties have come to pass, and yet my warnings are readily dismissed. Brontson would not have been so dismissive. This is what I am here for.

Look, and I say this as warmly as possible, but if you want to survive, it's in your best interest to go down. None of us know what lies ahead, and there's no guarantee that it's safe. If you have families that need you, you probably shouldn't continue, for their sake. If you're committed, not to surviving, but to finishing this, up we go. If not, please send for help when you reach the bottom.

Sorry for just grabbing the rations, but to be fair, I only took my share.

Look, and I say this as warmly as possible, but if you want to survive, it's in your best interest to go down. None of us know what lies ahead, and there's no guarantee that it's safe. If you have families that need you, you probably shouldn't continue, for their sake. If you're committed, not to surviving, but to finishing this, up we go. If not, please send for help when you reach the bottom.

Sorry for just grabbing the rations, but to be fair, I only took my share.

Nischal:

I understand. Maybe tone is getting lost in the cultural differences. It is almost as if we are forced to write down what we want to say, making it difficult to convey are feelings.

Let me ask this. Why go up? What are you committed to finishing?

The solution there is to figure out who stole the food. :dry:

And to ensure that what remains is properly guarded.

And I've already said it's likely there are sources of food farther up the mountain, should you risk possible side effects. :wacko:

I'm still deciding whether to continue, but I'm leaning towards joining. Those who choose to head back and wait for the rescue party will be less likely to succumb to the cold and need my services. I'm also interested in seeing what lies ahead and I think the party will need me to treat frostbite and any other injuries.

@Mandrake - Why do you believe that food will not be needed once we reach the summit?

I think we should figure out who wants to halt and give them their fair share of the rations. Then those of us continuing should head out and hope we can find alternate sustenance.

Vice Admiral Sebastian Mordock:

I want to continue. Scout, might the lichen be edible? If so, we can save a few more rations. I think Willem should go up the staircase and examine the lichen. If it's edible, food is not as much of an issue, and we can continue a bit longer.

I believe I am being misunderstood. I do not need sustenance. I am impervious to the weather. My interest is in the rest of you. I am able to make this trip a thousand times. You, however, can not. Believe it or not, I am being altruistic in my desire to return to the base of the mountain. And I was not upset earlier. Please do not mistake a passionate response as me being upset. The two are not the same. Although, I do see how it may have been misinterpreted as anger. And I apologize to those who may have been offended.

While everyone is arguing ferociously, the crowd disperses temporarily, as everyone thinks it over and prepares for what might be a fateful trek. Suddenly a scream is heard. By the time everyone rushes over, it is discovered that Vick Brontson is gone. Within the next 10 minutes everyone cycles through, trying to figure out what went wrong. Some crumbs are evident in Vick's stuff, implicating that maybe he had taken at least some of the rations.