BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Rollo

unreality

Yep, I noticed that as well, but since it didn't score a 2 I didn't think the "bad logic" clause applied.

I don't understand. W U O _ _ still gives the same results:

QUOTE - 2

WROTE - 2

QUITE - 1

SLOTS - 1

EDIT: And why are you arguing my logic? It's +5 for you :D

Edited by araver

Hey, I'm not arguing with anyone. I now remember why I hate trying to score this game.

Yeah, I think I misread the entire post and was assuming E was known because the answers to QUITE and SLOTS, but Maurice didn't mention those in his logic. I give up.

-5 Maurice. O & E still known.

I guess I have another question. When applying logic to our answers, do we need to use pure math logic or can we use stuff like "O_E" must be right because the only other choices are "QRO--" and "WUO--" and no English word fits the pattern?

If the guesser is correct then they win the logic argument. If the gamemaster can find an English word with that pattern then the bad logic clause applies.

I guess I have another question. When applying logic to our answers, do we need to use pure math logic or can we use stuff like "O_E" must be right because the only other choices are "QRO--" and "WUO--" and no English word fits the pattern?

If the guesser is correct then they win the logic argument. If the gamemaster can find an English word with that pattern then the bad logic clause applies.

I don't know if it's happened before (I haven't read all the pages) but personally I'd go against that. To show that the logic is false and there is a word, the gamemaster/host would have to share the word. It's possible that only the solution is an exception, so you couldn't prove someone wrong unless you showed him the solution. Not a very good ending for the game IMHO.

Edited by araver

I don't know if it's happened before (I haven't read all the pages) but personally I'd go against that. To show that the logic is false and there is a word, the gamemaster/host would have to share the word. It's possible that only the solution is an exception, so you couldn't prove someone wrong unless you showed him the solution. Not a very good ending for the game IMHO.

Not necessarily. If I were the gamemaster, i'd just say sorry there is at least 1 word that fits the pattern. If the word isn't my answer (and isn't close to the answer) then I'd reveal it. If it is close then I'd just say word to be revealed at the end of the game.

sorry, araver.

If WROTE = 0 then QU _ _ _, since QUOTE = 2

nm...

QUITE - if 2 then _ _ _ TE, since QU is ruled out due to QUOTE = 2, WROTE = 2 and _ _ I _ _ is ruled out due to QUOTE = 2, QUITE = 2

if 1 then _ _ O _ _ due to only change from QUOTE = 2

if 3 then _ _ ITE since to QU is ruled out due to QUOTE = 2, WROTE = 2

I see now what I was thinking when I wrote "since it didn't score 2 I thought the "bad logic" clause didn't apply". I noticed Maurice's error with this post where he said if it scores 2 then....., but it didn't score a 2, it scored 1 and the logic for that part is sound and so he got +5 for the O. I think those points stand. The logic for if 2 and if 3 is faulty.

Here's how i think the scores should stand now. Glyc, can you be the impartial judge and confirm?

+5 Maurice

+5 Araver (for pointing out my scoring flaws. He deserves the +5 for bad logic rather than me)

_ _O _ E

QUOTE - 2

WROTE - 2

QUITE - 1

SLOTS - 1

CHOSE - 2

ELOPE - 2

CHORE - 2

ATONE - 2

BIOME - 2

OBOLE - and, yep, you guessed it, 2!

+5 to Maurice

+5 to Araver (for scoring)

Thanks for the link. I found the .txt file the database is based on and I'll add the words to my list if they aren't already in there.

Hey, no fair sneaking in more words! :P

DIODE - 3

Edit: Ok, someone needs to take the edit key away from Nick. He's changes his posts after I score them.

POOVE - 2

Edited by Maquis