BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

dyalDragon

Question

1. averages doubly halved (4)

2. overlapping a little bit simpler (6)

3. 1000 b.c. arrival scheduled before icy James chilled and finished with top marks (9)

4. singular prof's helpers owe follower Mr. Lange -- split up over bond startups (7)

5. a framer's guide leads a strong pair to launch (5)

6. those who strike the sickly after reversed alien divided about the eighth (3,7)

7. before merging into ocean are perceivers also within between fuzzy fruit states a timely variable ends (4,7)

8. acidity begins and ends around the experience of that guy there (5)

9. probability of blind life necessity = an early selection of flipped epsilon (8)

10. after Family's first comes Exxon's roaring child and an iron winged switch up (5,2,4)

11. the fifth plus five and one simply calculated with ease, see? having then cleared all work, done... (11)

12. broken jaw point between the ninth and inapplicable, twisted, endless isles (4,4,5)

I can't think of much else for a framing guide. The best I can come up with is either a ruler/level (could be an I or lowercase L) or a triangle which could be a delta->D.

a strong pair - AA or KK (or could be AA->AS or KK->KS)

to launch - I have no idea what this could be

So if "a framer's guide" is a single letter, then I think we are looking for something along the lines of _aks_?? (I'm using "leads" as a directional and simply using the following "a" as a literal. "strong pair" would be a 2-letter and "to launch" would be a single letter.

I can't think of much else for a framing guide. The best I can come up with is either a ruler/level (could be an I or lowercase L) or a triangle which could be a delta->D.

a strong pair - AA or KK (or could be AA->AS or KK->KS)

to launch - I have no idea what this could be

So if "a framer's guide" is a single letter, then I think we are looking for something along the lines of _aks_?? (I'm using "leads" as a directional and simply using the following "a" as a literal. "strong pair" would be a 2-letter and "to launch" would be a single letter.

:D

Edited by dyalDragon

I suck at these :lol::lol: I just wanted to say HI. How you been dD, bump'n your riddle for ya. :thumbsup:

Thanks ham, haven't been around much... and keep missing all the new riddles :( ... not sure if this would qualify as a hint or not, but given your background I have been expecting either you or Wilson to come up with the last answer :ph34r:

To use after a private mailbox:

1. averages doubly halved (4)

averages - average - MU --> MUS - PG

doubly halved - EE - E - PG

MUSE - PG

2. overlapping a little bit simpler (6)

overlapping - directional

a little bit - WEE - PG

simpler - EZER - Gubdude

overlapped - WE(E)ZER -PG

WEEZER - Gubdude

3. 1000 b.c. arrival scheduled before icy James chilled and finished with top marks (9)

1000 b.c. - M - Framm

arrival scheduled - ETA - DD

before - directional - DD

icy - IC - Framm

James chilled - cool James - LL - DD

before icy James chilled - LLIC - DD

finished with top marks - A (top grade) or aced - A - Framm

METALLICA - DD

4. singular prof's helpers owe follower Mr. Lange -- split up over bond startups (7)

singular prof's helpers - prof's helper - TA - Framm

owe follower - P - PG

Mr. Lange - Artie Lange - RT - PG

bond startups - 007 = Bond, James Bond --> OO - PG

split up over - directional --> RT split over OO --> ROOT - PG

TAPROOT - PG

a framer's guide - L - DD

leads - useless directional

a strong pair - pair of aces - AA --> AS - DD

launch - common stereotype for launch word - GO - DD

LASGO - DD

6. those who strike the sickly after reversed alien divided about the eighth (3,7)

those who - ERS - as in movERS, shakERS, or any other type of action(ERS) - DD

strike - K - DD

the sickly - ILL - DD

those who strike the sickly - KILLERS - DD

after - directional, next word comes before killers - DD

reversed alien - ET reversed --> TE - DD

divided about the eighth - eighth letter - H - DD

TE divided about H - THE - DD

THE KILLERS - DD

7. before merging into ocean are perceivers also within between fuzzy fruit states a timely variable ends (4,7)

before merging - directional - PG

ocean - SEA - PG

are - R - PG

perceivers - eyes - IS - PG

before merging into ocean are perceivers - RI(S)EA - PG

also - useless connector

within - with IN - PG

between - directional for IN - PG

fuzzy fruit states - fuzzy fruit = peach, peach state = GA, states plural - GAS - PG

within between fuzzy fruit states - GAS with IN between the states - GAINS - PG

a timely variable ends - T - PG

RISE AGAINST - PG

8. acidity begins and ends around the experience of that guy there (5)

acidity - PH - DD

begins and ends around - P is the first letter and H is the last -DD

the experience of that guy there - HIS experience - DD

PHISH -DD

9. probability of blind life necessity = an early selection of flipped epsilon (8)

probability - P - PG

blind life necessity - life necessity - AIR -> blinded (no eyes) -> AR - DD

early - A.M. - AM - PG

selection - OR - PG

flipped epsilon - epsilon is E - flipped horizontally it is 3 but flipped vertically it is still E

selection of flipped epsilon - either 3 or E - E - PG

PARAMORE - PG

10. after Family's first comes Exxon's roaring child and an iron winged switch up (5,2,4)

after - semi-useless directional for Exxon's roaring child

Family's first - Family Reunion's first answer was KING - PG

Exxon's roaring child - Exxon is a parent company of Esso, whose mascot was a tiger -> SO - DD

iron winged - iron - FE - DD

and winged - L (stealing a clue from PG) - DD

--> FLE - winged iron - Framm

switch up - a light switch in the 'up' position is usually ON - DD

KINGS OF LEON - DD

11. the fifth plus five and one simply calculated with ease, see? having then cleared all work, done... (11)

the fifth - fifth letter - E - DD

five - roman numeral for five is - V - DD

one simply - a or AN - DD

calculated - reference to calculator function, save it for later :D - TL

with ease - E's - ES - DD

see? - C - DD

having then - then halved - EN - TL

cleared all work - old fashioned calculators you pressed CE to clear the memory - TL

EVANESCENCE - DD

12. broken jaw point between the ninth and inapplicable, twisted, endless isles (4,4,5)

broken jaw point - point at the bottom of your jaw - CHIN - broken CHIN - INCH - DD

between - directional for INCH - DD

the ninth - ninth number is 9 - NINE - DD

inapplicable - N/A - NA - DD

twisted, endless isles - ISLES endless - ISL and twisted - ILS - DD

NINE INCH NAILS - DD

eh maybe not... time to put this one to bed

To Use after a Private Mailbox - Two Us after P.O. box --> POW

anyway, tying into the rest of Celebration Conflagration

the second part was a cryptogram that said the key to the third was at the end of the first.... and if you take the ENDs of the PoW answers you get ERATOSTHENES

and then using a little thing we math geeks like to call the Sieve of Eratosthenes (which is used to find prime numbers), you substitute numbers for words and sieve out all the non-prime to leave you with a clue that basically tells you that you just wasted your time and to go back and do it again but this time take out the primes and leave the rest.... ph34r.gif

which would have led to the final riddle to which the answer was: ABLIGURITION, or excessive spending on food and drink, going along with the celebration theme..... rolleyes.gif

however, EDM decided to tackle the last parts first and found the last riddle before the PoWs ever had a chance to take off, so i decided to split them off into their own little world so they would be easier to keep track of with all the other guesses flying around for the final riddle....and there were a lot of those to clean up laugh.gif

which brings us here, solving the first part of the party after the last three have been dead for weeks happy.gif , will plan better next time i have a multiple part riddle duh.gif

biggrin.gif great riddle!!!! thumbsup.gif

but does it make me a bad person if i thought the last parts were too easy to leave them hanging.......????? wink.giflaugh.gif

it's my fault for being lazy :D .... my original plan had the riddle broken down letter by letter in the grid so it would look like a word search

also it would have taken someone an hour or two to actually break the riddle out of the grid if i had done it that way, and i didn't want people to give up because it was too complicated unsure.gif