Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Witch's Epigraph, Chapter Two: The Helix and the Rose

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#161 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

Check the security room or the queens room as those are the rooms directly below and above the idol.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...power-of-green/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#162 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

Check the Alarm Panel (where is it housed?) that the labels are indeed the correct way round.....

......one labeled “Display” and the other labeled “Outside Doors.” The former was clearly set to the on position, and the latter was clearly set to off.
“The alarms were a recent installation,”

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#163 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

Hmm...were my questions not getting answered just a fluke...or...

And Justice can talk in purple too...very interesting...

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 2 is awaiting it's epic conclusion...are you up to the task?

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#164 WitchOfSecrets

WitchOfSecrets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

(Excellent thinking from everyone here!

And Justice can talk in purple too...very interesting...

Whoops! That was careless - I was hurriedly adding color to the text I copy-pasted in, and meant to make the Queen's next sentences purple, not Justice's. Justice speaks only the truth Here's the corrected version:

“Brick, maybe? Putting a grating on it would be more secure,” I suggested. I then turned to the camera overhead. I recognized the model – an old reliable CCTV camera angled to capture just about everything between the door, the pedestal, and the window. To save space, it’d only record when it detected movement in-frame, and it’d probably only record a few frames per second. “That camera – is it in good working order?”

I don’t know much about that,” replied the Queen, looking a little perplexed. “You’d have to ask Nine or Ten.

Hmm...were my questions not getting answered just a fluke...or...

It would be inelegant to answer too many reader questions before the clues are all presented. It's bad enough that I gave cryptic out-of-character information, but clarifying that would make it too easy to eliminate/pursue specific suspects. Let me put it this way: If it's possible for there to somehow be "three-and-a-half" culprits, I won't eliminate that possibility, as silly as it is. And I haven't read that Christie book, but I know of the solution you're referring to. Eliminate nobody but the Detective, and even the Detective can unintentionally aid the culprit.

THALASSA isn't playing by the Sphinx Rules (because mysteries demand red herrings) and isn't playing by Knox's Rules for mysteries, which limit the number of secret passages to 'one' and disallow twins and all that other cool stuff.)

#165 WitchOfSecrets

WitchOfSecrets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Check the Alarm Panel (where is it housed?) that the labels are indeed the correct way round.....

......one labeled “Display” and the other labeled “Outside Doors.” The former was clearly set to the on position, and the latter was clearly set to off.
“The alarms were a recent installation,”

Split up ofc, send Judgement to interview Temperance, extensively about the staff and the guests and herself, also about the financial situation on the institution and of the employees.

Examine (i presume the rooms where our SecurityGuards stay are examined by occupational hazard) the Hammer room, if its not very interesting, have a look around the courtyard, focus the southeast end of the castle.

Saturday, 1:38 PM

Judgment examined the labels on the alarm panel in the security room critically. “Justice, let’s run an experiment.”

“Gotcha,” I replied. I pulled the keyring from my pocket and turned on the ‘Outside Doors’ alarm while Judgment walked out to the front doors.

As soon as Judgment pushed them open, an earsplitting alarm rang out, which I silenced quickly by turning the Outside Door alarm off again. Whatever was happening, the labels weren’t switched. As I later confirmed, both alarms were correctly labeled.

We continued our investigation. I started heading to the Hammer Room, on the assumption that our guards would be staying in the room closest to the display room, but then realized that the key list had put them in the Spaulding Room on the third floor. Judgment trudged off to the Hammer Room to interview Temperance.

I knocked on the door of the Spaulding Room and Nine opened up. “Huh? Your pal just finished talking to me,” he said. “I’m more interested in the room,” I replied. Nine shrugged.

The first thing I noticed was that this room was about the same size as the double I was in, with two beds.

The next thing I noticed: with the door open, anyone in this room would have a pretty good view of the hallway outside; this seemed to hold true for all of the bedrooms, in fact.

The window was similar to the one in the Display Room and my room, and indeed all the other rooms in the castle, and looked down over a courtyard. Sticking my head out, I could see that a window on the southwest corner of the Castle – the Electrical Closet window? – was wide open, but all of the other windows on the south side were closed.

I then began the tedious business of checking the room for hiding places and secret passages so I could report back to Judgment, who’s obsessed with them. Someone could hide under a bed, or in the big closet on the west side of the room (which currently housed uniforms, shoes, and other objects of no particular suspicion). There were no secret passages in the room; a detailed examination made that certain.

While I was searching, I noticed a memo on the nightstand by Nine’s bed. It read, in what was presumably Nine’s handwriting: “Help K. with phone lines.

“What’s this about the phone lines?” I asked. “How many phones are there in this place?”

“Two – there’s a phone in the Queen’s Room and one in the Grand Hall, but they’ve been down since the last storm. Knight and I are gonna climb up and check them out on Monday.

“Do storms often knock out the power?” I asked.

Yeah, but nothing’s forecast for tonight. Gonna be clear skies.

I nodded and headed down to the Hammer Room to meet up with Judgment and Temperance.

(More posting to come later.)

#166 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

Check the electrical closet, see if the alarms/cameras can be disconnected from there. It's on the ground floor and the window's open, so that should be checked. Also, the locked doors can be opened from the inside without a key. This may be significant.
The cake is a lie.

#167 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

culprits can lie, or they have to lie?

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...power-of-green/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#168 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Will we be playing by Sphinx's Tenth? (If an answer neatly fits all clues, it is a correct answer). Also, need we give the simplest explanation? Like, can we use quantum tunneling, ten pairs of identical twins, infinitely short yellow lines :), etc? Sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself.
The cake is a lie.

#169 WitchOfSecrets

WitchOfSecrets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

ROOM ASSIGNMENTS:

Second floor:

Firefly Room: Emperor, Justice
Flywheel Room: Eight of Coins, the Magician
Hammer Room: Temperance, High Priestess
Miller Room: Strength, Five of Wands

Third floor:

Wagstaff Room: Judgment
Hackenbush Room: Page of Swords, Three of Wands, Seven of Cups
Queen’s Room: The Queen
Driftwood Room: Knight of Swords, King of Swords
Quale Room: Six of Swords
Spaulding Room: Nine of Swords, Ten of Swords

Keyrings for each guest have been prepared and are currently in the key cabinet; each of these keyrings has only one key, the key to the guest’s assigned room.

----

“Temperance’s interview revealed some points of interest,” said Judgment. “Take a look.”

WHAT TEMPERANCE HAD TO SAY ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS:

On the Queen:

“I’ve known the Queen for years! There’s no way she would steal anything from this Castle, or fake a theft for that matter. I can assure you – even if something were to happen, she would never be a culprit in the matter.

On the Castle’s financial situation:

We’ve been having hard times, but tourists might want to stay here to visit the Idol, and that could bring in money.

On the Idol:

I can’t say I understand it as art, but it’s quite valuable to us.

Is it insured for theft?:

Why, yes, as long as the insurance company concludes we’ve taken reasonable precautions. I filed the paperwork myself.

On the other staff:

Nine and Ten are very close to each other, but not so much so to the rest of the Castle staff, I’m afraid. Ah, there was some kind of dispute between Ten and the cook, Strength, about the kitchen – some things had been stolen, and Strength accused the two of them of being incompetent, right to the Queen’s face. Perhaps that’s why she called in outside people for tonight?

On Page:

No, I don’t think Page stole from the kitchen; she’s a sweet dear. She’d never steal anything to profit herself… I suppose she conceivably might steal to help her poor ailing mother, but it seems unlikely to me.

Guests:

“Let’s see… not counting you and your partner, the eight guests are Six of Swords, the High Priestess, Seven of Cups, Five of Wands, Eight of Coins, Three of Wands, the Emperor, and the Magician.

The Emperor is a proud man. Take care how you trouble him with questions. He’ll be staying with your partner, I believe, in the Firefly Room.

The High Priestess stays with me. I’ve known her for a long time! She’s sharp, quick-witted, and observant; a retired detective. I believe she has a puzzle for us at dinner tonight.

“Seven of Cups… a pilot and a very flighty person in general. I doubt she could devise a scheme to steal anything on her own, but she might be an accomplice if she thought it were a nice prank.

Eight of Coins, the alchemist? He’s in bad shape and so I shouldn’t expect him to do anything physically strenuous – I can vouch for it, he’s not faking. The Magician will be helping him up and down the stairs a great deal, I imagine; they’re fast friends.

I don’t trust Five of Wands, myself. Not a straightforward person at all.

Six of Swords keeps to himself, mostly! He requested a single room, and we complied.

(More to be posted soon, based on requests above.)

#170 WitchOfSecrets

WitchOfSecrets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:15 PM

Check the electrical closet, see if the alarms/cameras can be disconnected from there. It's on the ground floor and the window's open, so that should be checked. Also, the locked doors can be opened from the inside without a key. This may be significant.

(This seems like a reasonable next move for Justice's investigation, if nobody objects. Flamebirde also suggested the Queen's Room, and there are some suggestions from earlier in the thread, too, such as the courtyard. As for staff to investigate, we had a request for Page earlier.)

culprits can lie, or they have to lie?

(This mystery cannot be solved by asking every character what 2 + 2 is. That is all I can say.)

Will we be playing by Sphinx's Tenth? (If an answer neatly fits all clues, it is a correct answer). Also, need we give the simplest explanation? Like, can we use quantum tunneling, ten pairs of identical twins, infinitely short yellow lines :), etc? Sorry if I'm getting ahead of myself.

(A good question, and one I have sort of addressed.)

THALASSA isn't playing by the Sphinx Rules (because mysteries demand red herrings) and isn't playing by Knox's Rules for mysteries, which limit the number of secret passages to 'one' and disallow twins and all that other cool stuff.)

(Incorrect answers are liable to be shot down by Red Truth, and answers that involve abuses of quantum mechanics and/or thermodynamics are flat out. Twins are conceivable, but only if you can square them what's been said about the number of guests, the identities and rooms of the guests, and so on...

And for the record: Multiple personalities do not count as separate people for the purposes of this particular mini-mystery.)

Edited by WitchOfSecrets, 07 June 2012 - 11:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users