BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Today, at about 6:15 EST, Michael Jackson was confirmed dead. Cardiac arrest is the suspected reason.

I just got a text message, then went to a news site to confirm it.

I'm not one for celebrity, but MJ was a significant part of my culture growing up. First his music when I was in school, then his ridiculous behavior as I got older.

Am I alone in experiencing the oddest sense of loss ever? It's like someone tearing down your favorite old bar or something, I think. It's gone, it doesn't really matter, but you now have vivid memories that are tied to something that no longer exists.

I think I might actually miss him a little, at least in a very abstract way. Like a writer that misses his tuna fish sandwich.

13 answers to this question

Its become such a big thing, as i speak a tribute is playing on tv, switch the channel and theres another one.

But Farrah Fawcett (One of the original Charlies angels) lost her fight with cancer as well, so don't forget her as well.

Sorry to be so cynical but honestly I'm really glad I'm in Italy so I won't have to put up with endless drivel on TV and radio about this. It's always a bit of a surprise when a very famous celeb dies, especially unexpectedly young like MJ. But it's important to remember that this isn't someone we even know. As far as us consumers are concerned, we only know celebrities as a brand, not a person.

I was listening to Dirty Diana yesterday!!!

Well I always thought that MJ is gonna be the first person to live forever... in a way he will.

Its become such a big thing, as i speak a tribute is playing on tv, switch the channel and theres another one.

Not really... switch to Sports or Science... I'm watching tennis :)

Life goes on...

Edited by andromeda

But Farrah Fawcett (One of the original Charlies angels) lost her fight with cancer as well, so don't forget her as well.

Indeed! My friends and I liked MJ's music and singing (some of it) and the videos were impressive.

Farrah was far much more to us :wub: , especially during puberty.

We're all going someday so no need to fret about it. ;)

Edited by akaslickster

Am I alone in experiencing the oddest sense of loss ever? It's like someone tearing down your favorite old bar or something, I think. It's gone, it doesn't really matter, but you now have vivid memories that are tied to something that no longer exists.

I think I might actually miss him a little, at least in a very abstract way. Like a writer that misses his tuna fish sandwich.

As far as us consumers are concerned, we only know celebrities as a brand, not a person.

Yes, that's it exactly! Although, I suppose MJ music will continue long after he is gone, like Elvis' has. So the brand still exists, the product has just changed from tabloid fodder to nostalgia. How long until the Michael Jackson commemorative plates and nostalgia slot machines arrive?

Comparing MJ to Elvis is an insult to Elvis. That's my opinion.

Let's move on.

You misunderstand. I was comparing the inevitable commercialization of the Michael Jackson persona to what has become of the Elvis legacy in recent years. I was comparing situations, not the men.

Let's do move on.

I find I'm the only one not caring. About all three. Sorry, didn't know them, wasn't influence by them, don't care. Get it off my television and bring me real news, or did the North Korea missile tests, the Iranian civil unrest/election issues, the global recession, et al. become trivial matters because, like holy wow batman, Michael Jackson died.

Meh.

Haha, my friend was in a waiting room and of course Michael Jackson crap was all over the TV, and they showed the bit of Thriller where he looked like a zombie, so he was like "I bet that's what he looked like when they found him." A combination of pissiness and laughter as a response.