BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

or ignore me... :P

I just started, so I dont think my opinion holds much weight, but anyway. I dont see why we need a ranking, just showing a join date and a # of postings on a persons profile should be enough. I think showing (x)amount of blocks or stars is elitist and clickish. Why not just let your personal reputation speak for you. Those who frequent this site will know who you are and what you are capable of, and the new people, like my self will learn (as I have) in a short amount of time who the "great ones" are.

You can still become a VIP, just not be post count. Rookie and the moderators decide on who should be VIP. There's a short topic about it here.

Edited by Frost

members with +1000 posts can change their member title ... in case this feature is abused, it will be blocked
why not publicly rebuke abusers, ban major offenders - its a fun feature - though it may encourage over-posting to reach that goal Edited by Lost in space

I have always loved logic puzzles. I may never figure it out, but I'll give it my best shot. I would love to see people ranked by the value of their posts. If they give us good puzzles to make us think, they should be graded higher for their valuable input. And the people who don't use spoilers, or are just spoil-sports, should be graded lower. Thanks for all you're doing rookie1ja, we really appreciate it. :)

I think that we should keep the number of posts pips but add other titles aswell for example, if someone have been a member for a while or has repeatlygiven good riddles or conributes a lot. Take this site as an example, they have ribbons for number of posts, and subscribers and donators, and Brainden could come up with other titles for specific things like for example spelling whizz or puzzle genius.

http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=17626

I gave this link for you to look at the rating system next to their names, not to read the thread!

I think this is how it should go:

Newbie -- 0-25 posts

Junior Member -- 25-100 posts

Advanced Member -- 100-500 posts

Senior Member -- 500-1000 posts

Puzzle Master -- 1000-2000 posts

Puzzle Grandmaster -- 2000+ posts

PS. I've seen some members post more tham 2000 times. Oh yeah, and members should be allowed to have their own custom member title when they are a Puzzle Grandmaster according to me (2000+ posts)

Edited by guest_7314

I am aware that this is an old topic, but since it pertains to the subject matter here, I do not want to start a new topic. One of the things that could be arranged is to gain member status by the number of profile views, but have a bot filter such that there needs to be... say 24hrs before a view from the same IP address is counted on the profile.

I generally see a very high correlation between the number of profile views and the quality of one's posts. If someone was to simply say "lol" to a post, then most people would simply move along. However, if someone were to post a long and detailed explanation to a very intriguing riddle, nearly everyone who has read the thread will wonder... "wow, I want to know more about this guy" and thus visit their profile.

Although it seems like an extremely indirect method of ranking, there is a pattern, nonetheless.

I don't agree. Number of profile views might be result of several factors: controversial posts, temporary hype, daily visits of friends, vivid social relationships (without many quality posts), old members (less active now), link to profile page in signature etc.

I agree that post count ranking is not perfect either. Due to posts including only "lol", smiley, "good riddle", guessing in easier games, participation in story-telling games etc.

Good way would be to implement "thumbs up"/"thumbs down" for each post. So that members could rate replies of other members - if they were helpful, insightful etc. And take those points into account when rating members.

The new version of IP.Board will come out shortly. Let's wait for the improvements and maybe look for a modification then. Nonetheless, good idea.

Good way would be to implement "thumbs up"/"thumbs down" for each post. So that members could rate replies of other members - if they were helpful, insightful etc. And take those points into account when rating members.

What, like on YouTube?? :huh:

I don't know... I don't like being judged (I hate the profile page rating as well). For the riddles is OK but it's not realistic, it would be better if we could see who rated that riddle and with how many stars.

This is a place of refuge for me, where I log in to relax. It wouldn't be relaxing for me if I'd log in and see a thumbs down at my post only because someone does not agree with what I have to say.

How about cutting the ranking out all together! :) I hate labels anyway :dry:

Edited by andromeda

What, like on YouTube?? :huh:

I don't know... I don't like being judged (I hate the profile page rating as well). For the riddles is OK but it's not realistic, it would be better if we could see who rated that riddle and with how many stars.

This is a place of refuge for me, where I log in to relax. It wouldn't be relaxing for me if I'd log in and see a thumbs down at my post only because someone does not agree with what I have to say.

How about cutting the ranking out all together! :) I hate labels anyway :dry:

Agreed, Thumbs UP/Thumbs DOWN labels are even less accurate than topic views.

1. Time consumption, the quality of posts goes down as people spend times pressing Thumbs UP/Thumbs DOWN instead of adding there reasoning.

2. Loss of individuality, as the public opinion of the post begins to build up, some of us will begin to start following mob psychology.

3. Most of the people that really matter don't even bother with this kind of thing.

Judging post may be good for some sites, like newsrooms, etc, but Brainden is not a pole, it is an intellectual site where opinions should have basis.

However, I don't think that ranking should be cut completely. You are more likely to get accurate advice from experienced members. Who do you want to learn fishing from, an experienced angler, or someone who has never touched a pole?

However, I don't think that ranking should be cut completely. You are more likely to get accurate advice from experienced members. Who do you want to learn fishing from, an experienced angler, or someone who has never touched a pole?

Well everyone's post count shows at their posts so that's a safe indicator of being an experienced member or not.

Mob psychology is fascinating :lol: we study it in a mafia bandwagon :lol:

EDIT: OMG! 3,231! :o

Edited by andromeda

Well everyone's post count shows at their posts so that's a safe indicator of being an experienced member or not.

I'm impressed by the wisdom, intelligence and thought that goes into the posts of the top posters here ...

... however ...

Achieving status based merely on post count has its serious drawbacks. There are posters who are obviously adding comments just to pad their stats.

I'm not suggesting that post count be hidden, I'm just commenting that there's no shortcut to actually reading someone's posts to decide whose advice to take.