BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Any person can comment on this post, but it's geared towards Christians (Catholics, Presbyterians, Baptists, Lutherans, etc.) Anyone can post the first subject of conversation. Just discuss issues about the religion (Heaven, evangelism,etc.) :rolleyes:

• Answers 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Everyone gas at least one spiritual gift. These include speaking in tongues, prophecy, leadership, service, and more. more on this later. Disclaimer: I am NOT a pastor so I may not always be accurate.

This topic is too tempting to resist. However, I won't intrude yet, rather, I'll wait for fallacious posts and de-bunk them in the same manner a tiger devours its meal, i.e., rip to shreds. :D

You iz evil!

That's why I like's ya. :lol:

*Note to (potentially over sensitive) theists: We aren't really evil atheists, we just have a passion for reason, and thus an urge to correct fallacious rhetoric. ;)

Oh no were being attacked lol. But we have the protection of God! :D And no monkies explosions and gaps arent going to protect us lol. Any way hmm a spiritual gift. ooo the casting out of deamons thats cool.

can you have two half-gifts? What kind of denominations do these gifts come in?

i think that all are pretty much in most denominations but some may be stronger than others due to different views of Christianity right?

huh, Greek mythology. Marriage is between one man and a woman. No cheating, no premarital sex. (Zeus, Odysseus)

Oh don't get me wrong...I'm with you on that...but I just think you're going to end up opening pandora's box here with a controversial topic like that.

hmm, wise words. Fine, let's discuss a new topic. umm... how about justification of Chrtistianity? gimme some reasons (even though I'm a believer, just wanna hear them) :o

why stop with homosexuality! The bible chimes in on many more topics than that and I dare say they can be far more interesting. I will, however, start with homosexuality:

Leveticus 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them

seems pretty straight forward, right?

Now that I got the ball rolling, lets look into the subjects of polygamy, incest and slavery!

Polygamy

Genesis 16:1-4

Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar. And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai. And Sarai ... gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife. And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived.

1 kings 11

Not worth a direct quote, but worth a look for whoever dares. Talks about how Soloman, the wisest man in the bible, has 700 wives and 300 concubines. It is actually presented in a bit of the negative, God threatens him with taking away his kingdom for his wicked ways, but then it is revealed that the reason God is angry is because he built an alter to another God for his wives, therefore breaking his commandment. God fells merciful though, so he just takes away 1 tribe and gives it to Soloman's son.

This one is a personal favorite from the new testament, Mathew likening Jesus to a man with 10 virgin potential wives, only 5 of which are smart enough to marry him.

Matthew 25:1

Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom

there are more, which can easly be found here

Incest

I am sure everybody has heard the story of Sodom and Gamorrah, but do you know the rest of the story?

Lot was a just and righteous man.

And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;) 2 Peter 2:7-8

He was the only man that God saved from the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

...the angels hastened Lot, saying, Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city. Genesis 19:15

He got drunk and impregnated his virgin daughters.

Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father. And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose. Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father. Genesis 19:32-36

check out the source, here

Slavery

Here's a fun one that kills tow birds with one scripture, slavery and polygamy!

Exodus 21:7-10 And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do. If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed: to sell her unto a strange nation he shall have no power, seeing he hath dealt deceitfully with her. And if he have betrothed her unto his son, he shall deal with her after the manner of daughters. If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish.

How to beat your slaves!

Exodus 21:20-21

And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money.

A New Testament goodie about how slaves should think of their masters the same way Christians are supposed to think of Jesus

Ephesians 6:5

Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ.

I guess the point of this post was not to make Christians rethink their views (although I think that would be a good idea) it was more so to point out that taking the bible literally is a dangerous game to play and that Christians need to realize that they are not living in the same world the bible was written. Saying homosexuality is a sin or an abomination is just as ignorant as saying we should be beating our slaves and selling our daughters into polygamous relationships, assuming of course that they don't get us drunk and have sex with us first.

err... I appreciate the enthusiasm, but lets stick to clean(er) topics. Remember,you can talk about any aspect of our religion, but be polite, and don't get yourself banned. -_-

err... I appreciate the enthusiasm, but lets stick to clean(er) topics. Remember,you can talk about any aspect of our religion, but be polite, and don't get yourself banned. -_-

I am new to the site, so I am not sure what will get a person banned. I hope I would at least get a warning from a MOD but I guess I will find out.

I am sorry to go for the throat like that, but I was not the person bringing up homosexuality in the first place. I made the post that I did, as you will see by reading the conclusion, to point out that fundamentalism is the issue. People who use religion for bigotry, malice or power need to be stopped. As long as religion becomes and remains something used only for the greater good of people with human rights being the core philosophy around which all decisions are made I think it can be a great source of culture, heritage, comfort and guidance. Used or viewed the wrong way, religion is one of the worst things that has ever happened to this world.

of course. It was the old Roman Catholic church that used its power in corrupt ways, which sparked the Reformation. True Christians sin, but it is against God's will to be unfair or to hate thy neighbor. I hope everything posted is for the Church's edification.

of course. It was the old Roman Catholic church that used its power in corrupt ways, which sparked the Reformation. True Christians sin, but it is against God's will to be unfair or to hate thy neighbor. I hope everything posted is for the Church's edification.

I am not sure why you would have such a hope. I personally believe the world would be better without religion, but since that is a pipe dream I will Vie for the improvement of the church, if that counts as edification.

Don't do that. If you think a topic isn't "clean" enough or someone has stepped over the line, report the post.

I am new to the site, so I am not sure what will get a person banned. I hope I would at least get a warning from a MOD but I guess I will find out.

I am sorry to go for the throat like that, but I was not the person bringing up homosexuality in the first place. I made the post that I did, as you will see by reading the conclusion, to point out that fundamentalism is the issue. People who use religion for bigotry, malice or power need to be stopped. As long as religion becomes and remains something used only for the greater good of people with human rights being the core philosophy around which all decisions are made I think it can be a great source of culture, heritage, comfort and guidance. Used or viewed the wrong way, religion is one of the worst things that has ever happened to this world.

How do you get banned!

On topic I have just finished reading the book called "Sex Lives of the Popes" by Nigel Cawthorne.

OMG in the past 2000 years the church was all about power, money and sex. There's nothing explicit in the book really just the list of their "sins".

What surprised me is that there were a lot of popes that were atheists?! Oh and almost all of them were engaging homosexual sex.

I haven't checked, but probably none of that is mentioned on other web sites. However they just couldn't hide the sins of the Alexander VI cause he was the worst of all the popes. Yes he is the notorious Rodrigo Borgia! :lol: But the other popes (with few exceptions) weren't so far behind. :rolleyes:

Oh and pope Gregory VII said that he thought that people reading the bible is not a good idea cause they might start questioning things, and questioning things led to heresy :lol:

So much about Christianity... I'm a Roman Catholic btw, not by choice :dry:

Edited by andromeda

So much about Christianity... I'm a Roman Catholic btw, not by choice :dry:

Not by choice?!

You mean you are forced to believe that saying the right magic words over a cracker (unleavened bread, I know :rolleyes: ) and some fermented grape juice magically turns it into human/god hybrid thingy flesh and blood, even though it sill looks, smells, tastes, feels and even sounds exactly the same?!

I can see how you are expected to play along with it etc. but can "they" actually control your mind?! :lol:

Or are you just saying you were baptised as one, and/or are expected to act as one etc.? (IF so then you are no REALLY a Roman Catholic; you just play one.)