BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

CaptainEd

Question

I've contributed a few tools for hosting a few kinds of puzzles/games, and I might eventually contribute some more.

Post here for any of several reasons:

1) You've got a problem with Excel or Windows not letting it run at all

2) You've found a bug

3) You've solved a problem someone has reported

4) You'd like additional features/tools (good luck on that, I've got a day job :) ..., but you never know)

I'll maintain a current list of the latest revisions of each tool in this Topic as well.

When you post, it'll help if the title identifies the tool, like

"Master", problem downloading

"Enigmatic", tired of duplicate entry

"Prof", bug on double letters?

That way, people can search and find the posts relating to just the tool they're interested in.

I've contributed a few tools for hosting a few kinds of puzzles/games, and I might eventually contribute some more.

I am not sure if this is what you mean for this post, but I have a contibution of a good image editing program that I think people would be interested in.

GIMP is a free image editing tool and is easy to use and learn. It can be pretty much as good as photoshop, especially if you download all of the tools.

And, if you are unable to download stuff to your computer (like me at work :blush: ) there is another great image editor Pixeler, that I found is pretty good too.

Edited by IDoNotExist

I am not sure if this is what you mean for this post, but I have a contibution of a good image editing program that I think people would be interested in.

GIMP is a free image editing tool and is easy to use and learn. It can be pretty much as good as photoshop, especially if you download all of the tools.

And, if you are unable to download stuff to your computer (like me at work :blush: ) there is another great image editor Pixeler, that I found is pretty good too.

Actually, no. This topic is specifically for helping users with the few tools that I have uploaded for their use. Some folks have had trouble getting Excel/Windows to accept them. I'm eager to help them with that.

Current downloads available:

--("Enigmatic") hosting a Yoruichi-san Enigmatic Crossword

--("Master") hosting a Masterword

--("Prof") hosting a Professor Templeton Word Search

Wow,that is some really cool stuff! Did you do this all with excel? I only know basic functions and stuff, I will have to take at look at these and figure out how you made them :lol:

EDIT: ok, I understand what you mean now. Sorry for the previous post.

Edited by IDoNotExist

Hey Cap'n! I'm using Sun's "Open Office Suite" at home and I can't get the macros to work on the masterword sheet. he-alp!

Ouch. Ahoy, Cap'n, were you using some visual basic code? As far as I know there's no easy way to translate visual basic to open office basic. They're not even very similar. I ended up doing that once for a program I wrote a little over a year ago. I basically had to learn a whole new language just for that task. And I never wrote anything else in OO basic again so I forgot it all. I do remember that there are some odd little things that you have to do just right to get it to even start acting like a sensible programming language. If you're inclined to learn it, I could give you examples of my code and some useful tools for figuring out how to manipulate stuff in their java environment, but it ain't gonna be easy.

Ouch. Ahoy, Cap'n, were you using some visual basic code? As far as I know there's no easy way to translate visual basic to open office basic. They're not even very similar. I ended up doing that once for a program I wrote a little over a year ago. I basically had to learn a whole new language just for that task. And I never wrote anything else in OO basic again so I forgot it all. I do remember that there are some odd little things that you have to do just right to get it to even start acting like a sensible programming language. If you're inclined to learn it, I could give you examples of my code and some useful tools for figuring out how to manipulate stuff in their java environment, but it ain't gonna be easy.

Sorrow! Yes, definitely Visual Basic. It was pretty basic, but if the object model is different, which I can imagine, it could take time to rework it. And, as I don't have Open Office, this sounds like a large task.

Thank you, plasmid, for the info.

Thanks, plasmid. I guess I'd like to see your samples of OO code. But I'm very unlikely to acquire their environment and try to develop code in it. I've been using VB for years and hating it all the time because of what I consider some "odd little things". If OO goes beyond that in oddness, I think my impatience alarm will go off.

Thanks, plasmid. I guess I'd like to see your samples of OO code. But I'm very unlikely to acquire their environment and try to develop code in it. I've been using VB for years and hating it all the time because of what I consider some "odd little things". If OO goes beyond that in oddness, I think my impatience alarm will go off.

Don't go through all that on my account. I'll fire off some emails to the OOo folks and ask about their claims for "compatibility" with MS Office stuff.

Thanks for the effort and info.

I'll get this fixed. I can't see how to point to an existing download, so each time, I have to reupload my files. But that fills up my space, and I don't see how to delete old items from my space.

I'll get this all fixed up real soon now, and you'll have 4 spreadsheets, including an Open Office compatible Masterword.

I'll get this fixed. I can't see how to point to an existing download, so each time, I have to reupload my files. But that fills up my space, and I don't see how to delete old items from my space.

I'll get this all fixed up real soon now, and you'll have 4 spreadsheets, including an Open Office compatible Masterword.

My Controls -> Down the left side you will find "manage my attachments" You can delete from there.

edit: which I see you figured out... thanks for all the effort.

Edited by Grayven

Still having scribal difficulties, try these downloads

MasterwordRev4--for hosting a Masterword (no macros--Open Office should work with this)

MasterwordRev3--for hosting a Masterword (uses Excel macros)

EnigmaticCrossword--for hosting a Yoruichi-san Enigmatic Crossword (uses Excel macros)

wordmatch--for hosting a Prof. Templeton Word Search (uses Excel macros)

Edited by CaptainEd

New! wordmatch for OpenOffice!

MasterwordRev4--for hosting a Masterword (no macros--Open Office should work with this)

EnigmaticCrossword--for hosting a Yoruichi-san Enigmatic Crossword (uses Excel macros)

wordmatchNoMacro--for hosting a Prof. Templeton Word Search (no macros--Open Office should work with this)

New! wordmatch for OpenOffice!

wordmatchNoMacro--for hosting a Prof. Templeton Word Search (no macros--Open Office should work with this)

CaptainEd, I copied your new "no macro" version. It looks great! However, even though it is not supposed to have any macros, I get a security warning when I open it telling me it has macros.

Edited by WilsonsMum

This is the latest and greatest:

New! wordmatch for OpenOffice! AND the ones labelled NoMacro no longer are carrying their vestigial macros, so you should have no problems with Excel or firewalls complaining about yucky macros.

MasterwordNoMacroRev2--for hosting a Masterword (no macros--Open Office should work with this)

wordmatchNoMacroRev2--for hosting a Prof. Templeton Word Search (no macros--Open Office should work with this)

Edited by CaptainEd

(Thank you for your forbearance, try this and see if you still get security messages about macros. I've not only removed the appendix, now I took part of the intestine as well.)

This is the latest and greatest:

New! wordmatch for OpenOffice! AND the ones labelled NoMacro no longer are carrying their vestigial macros, so you should have no problems with Excel or firewalls complaining about yucky macros.

MasterwordNoMacroRev3--for hosting a Masterword (no macros--Open Office should work with this)

wordmatchNoMacroRev3--for hosting a Prof. Templeton Word Search (no macros--Open Office should work with this)

Edited by CaptainEd

the masterword spreadsheets are all still saying that they contain macros, so I can only open them in 'read only mode' in open office.
That's odd, I don't want to sound silly, but did you pull the spreadsheet named MasterWordNoMacro? If you did, then I've really got to scratch my head. In "read only" mode, are you able to enter data? That's all that's needed.

As an aside, I really like your smiley with the eyebrows; I can move my eyebrows like that.

the masterword spreadsheets are all still saying that they contain macros, so I can only open them in 'read only mode' in open office.

In Open Office, you can turn your macros security a click to "always ask before opening" so that you can allow the good Cap'n's spreadsheet to work. It's under the tools section. I'm not at home, so I can't specifically remember the exact path. I'll post it when I get home.