BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

...this is a branch off of CuteSparklezGirl's 'Is there a spiritual world?' topic...please feel free 2 tell your experiences and thoughts...no teasing or arguing please...

• Answers 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, I'm trying to make a pretty simple point: Since we can't prove things exist, why keep using the word "prove"?

If fairies are real, physical corporeal beings, as Blablah99 describes, and if they are able to conceal themselves from anyone who they are convinced does not believe in them, then you have to believe before you can see them. Period. That is precisely what Atlantis said way back in post #76. Although that statement seems to turn most rational thinkers' knickers in an unholy twist, it's simple, it's direct, and it's just about all that can be said in response to the endless demands of inflexible closed-minded skeptics for evidence. Another reminder: Critical thinking at its best is the practice of not ruling out concepts that do not fit one's presuppositions. Is it really that hard for you brittle skeptics to suspend disbelief and witness the joy that these whimsical creatures provide? Read CSG's post #69. The joy is honest, radiant, precious, and uninhibited--no trace of motive or agenda--pure delight. That's what these creatures offer in the way of value to humanity if nothing more substantial (like the mythical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow).

The creatures may not be real to you, but their net effect is: happier neighbors, a more colorful world.

I agree with your point, but yeah I'm a die-hard skeptic. At least when it comes to faeries dragons elves...ect. On the otherhand I have an open mind towards the more mainstream mythical creatures(some, not all). Just to me, I think believing in the others stated, is childish, but thats just me. I do just fine without knowing the joys they may potentially bring. I get satisfaction from other things in my life.

As for happier neighbors and such...It could go both ways. There could be people out there who believe in that sort of stuff, and still be a miserable person to be around, and I personally know (well just about everyone I know) people that don't believe and are pleasant to be around.

But anyhow, that was a fun discussion, but I'm not going to comment any further on this particular subject.(not being rude) I have my believes, and other people have theirs. Besides anyone could argue for either side forever since noone can prove or disprove the existence of those creatures. I was'nt trying to disprove, but rather get my opinion across, just like they had the opportunity to state their opinion about believing in them.

I'll gladly hop in again when the subject has changed, to a more proveable or disproveable mythical creature and share some thoughts.

Just to clarify, as a skeptic believer, I would not believe that faeries can turn invisible. Assuming they exist, which I believe they do, I would assume that they could camoflage like a chameleon.

Regarding the whole Cognito Ergo Sum thing, I was going to say something, but I think Nietzsche says it better:

When I analyze the process that is expressed in the sentence, "I think," I find a whole series of daring assertions, the argumentative proof of which would be difficult, perhaps impossible: for instance, that it is I who think, that there must necessarily be something that thinks, that thinking is an activity and operation on the part of a being who is thought of as a cause, that there is an "ego", and finally, that it is already determined what is to be designated by thinking - that I know what thinking is. For if I had not already decided within myself what it is, by what standard could I determine whether that which is just happening is not perhaps "willing" or "feeling"? In short, the assertion "I think" assume that I compare my state at the present moment with other states of myself which I know, in order to determine what it is; on account of this retrospective connexion with further "knowledge," it has at any rate no immedidiate certainty for me.

Also.. coito ergo nom.. :ph34r:

OMG!! I just read a few older posts. :huh: Did someone say they still see dragons? WTH? I'm sorry but if you are seeing fairies and dragons and elves...nevermind i'm speachless after reading them. :blink: I think Izzy did a good enough job. :thumbsup:

When I first saw this topic about mythical creatures, I was thinking like, Loch-ness, The Kraken, A Leprachaun, Santa Claus, Unicorns, stuff like that.

Reading earlier posts was like reading Peter Pan, King Arthur, and Cinderella all in one book, while the movie Cybill plays in the background.

...those were probably my remarks...and they are the truth...I don't care who believes me...

Yay, someone else sees the fecking insanity in this. Oh well, I've given up. If Atlantis wants to continue to destroy herself psychologically, so be it. As long as taxes I pay are never used as funds to keep her in an asylum, I don't care. If she never realizes it, whatever. If she does, wait for it, I told you so. :P

The entire thread is worth a read if you have the time. Crazy stuff.

...I am mentaly sound...just misunderstood...I wish ALL of you could see what I have seen...there would be far fewer skeptics in the world...

I won't pretend I believe this stuff for one minute, but I am a very curious individual. So, I would be interested in getting the particulars on these creatures. See below:

What kind of wings do the fairies have?

Butterfly

Insect similar to Dragonflys

Feathers

None

Other (specify.)

What special abilities to they have?

Hypnosis

Flying

Super Speed

Other (specify.) not much, they can really only assist in acts of nature...helping plants grow, flowers bloom, alerting people and animals to danger

You once said they saved your life. Explain the situation and how they helped you.

I was walking through the woods and thought I saw something sparkling in a tree, I ignored it and kept on walking...a little bit later I heard a branch snap behind me...so I started running...suddenly something flew right in my face...I stopped, then I pushed asside the bushes in front of me to see if it was still there...on the other side of the bushes that I was running full speed at was a clif with a shear drop of about 50 feet...if not for what I now believe was a fairy, I would have fallen and been seriously injured

More questions to come, my

Edited by Atlantis

Also I would like to see the results if you asked if they believed in FAERIES. I'll bet my house that the number would be significantly lower. Angels are one thing, I understand people who believe in angels (mostly to do with reLIEgion), but faeries nahhhhhhhhhhhhh....maybe .0000001% :P

...depending on who you ask...Angles, Sylphs, Faries, ect...these are all winged creatures who protect and watch over someone or something...

This is most fascinating... so have you spoken with them, or is there some sort of unspoken understanding between you?

...I have personally spoken to Phynix [my guardian Fairy] and Fawn [my daughter's guardian Fairy]...but have not had the pleasure to personally speak with any others...I have seen them and felt their presance while walking around in nature...this is why I prefer Olympia...more nature...

...I have personally spoken to Phynix [my guardian Fairy] and Fawn [my daughter's guardian Fairy]...but have not had the pleasure to personally speak with any others...I have seen them and felt their presance while walking around in nature...this is why I prefer Olympia...more nature...

By guardian faerie, do you mean a faerie that has blessed you? I am lacking in this area of faeriehood.

By guardian faerie, do you mean a faerie that has blessed you? I am lacking in this area of faeriehood.

...no...a guardian fairy is a fairy who follows you around and helps keep you safe [post #283]...everyone has a guardian fairy...some call them guardian angles [post #284]...they alert you to danger like one did to me [post #283]...

Dude, are you actually serious? Really?

I think she is, more so because she stopped using numbers to word her thoughts... thanks for that Atlantis :)

So yes I think she absolutely believes in everything she is talking about.

Actually I have an interesting story to share, it wasn't a fairy though, but it was weird?!

Dad was taking me to the train station early Monday morning, and it was a cloudy grayish morning. There was no one in the street when suddenly a white cat run across the road causing my father to hit the brakes. So that cat kinda stole two seconds from us not more. When we got to the intersection my dad took a sharp left turn and only then he noticed the man on the bike. If we would have gotten there two seconds earlier, exactly those two seconds we have lost while dodging the cat, we would have hit him. The guy on the bike totally melted into the background, we totally have overseen him.

I still have goosebumps when I think about it :unsure:

So call it how ever you want, but it was weird.

Edited by andromeda

...no...a guardian fairy is a fairy who follows you around and helps keep you safe [post #283]...everyone has a guardian fairy...some call them guardian angles [post #284]...they alert you to danger like one did to me [post #283]...

I believe that we are talking about the same thing. A faerie blessing essentially creates an immortal bond between you and the faerie.

I think she is, more so because she stopped using numbers to word her thoughts... thanks for that Atlantis :)

Actually I have an interesting story to share, it wasn't a fairy though, but it was weird?!

Dad was taking me to the train station early Monday morning, and it was a cloudy grayish morning. There was no one in the street when suddenly a white cat run across the road causing my father to hit the brakes. So that cat kinda stole two seconds from us not more. When we got to the intersection my dad took a sharp left turn and only then he noticed the man on the bike. If we would have gotten there two seconds earlier, exactly those two seconds we have lost while dodging the cat, we would have hit him. The guy on the bike totally melted into the background, we totally have overseen him.

Sounds like something a gremlin or imp would do.

First of all, I could'nt quote Atlantis, but wow you pretty much described any fairy that is depicted in a childrens story book. That sounds kinda suspect. If you and others are having these unique encounters with fairies, then why do they look like what an author describes them as? I would think that there would be some noticeable differences than that of which someone wrote about. Angels were first described by people who have (suposedly) witnessed them, therefore I can see how people today would describe one as such. Fairies on the other hand were described in childrens books, so people who are thinking they see them describe them as so. Seems to me if you truly are seeing them, they are just a figment of your imagination running wild.

Ok seeksit now I'm done ;)

I'd call that a very close call.

It happens all the time, just the closer of a call it is, the more memorable it is.

Think about all the times you've come across some sort of accident that you can see just happend. It makes you think, damn if I would have left just 2,5,10 ect. minutes earlier, that could have been me. Or when you reach your destination you come to find out a really bad accident happened just minutes after you passed by.

The same sort of thing happend to me, refering to your story. Me and my girlfriend and our daughter were driving down the road, and about a quarter mile down the road we saw a huge cloud of dust. When we got closer there was a truck rolled over in the ditch. It was coming towards us and swerved across our lane and ended up in the opposite ditch. If we had been literally just seconds sooner, it most likely would have struck us. I think about that alot, but only because it was a very close call. I have come across numerous other accidents, that may have happened 5 or 10 minutes before I arrived, but don't think too much about them times. I would hardly believe it was any act of a fairy. Where were the fairies of the people who actually did get into the accident? Sleeping on the job? Why would one protect a nonbeliever (me) and not protect a potential believer?

Edited by James8421

...someone was looking out for you guys as well as the bike guy...my vote is on fairys...

First of all, I could'nt quote Atlantis, but wow you pretty much described any fairy that is depicted in a childrens story book. That sounds kinda suspect. If you and others are having these unique encounters with fairies, then why do they look like what an author describes them as? I would think that there would be some noticeable differences than that of which someone wrote about. Angels were first described by people who have (suposedly) witnessed them, therefore I can see how people today would describe one as such. Fairies on the other hand were described in childrens books, so people who are thinking they see them describe them as so. Seems to me if you truly are seeing them, they are just a figment of your imagination running wild.

Ok seeksit now I'm done ;)

I'd call that a very close call.

It happens all the time, just the closer of a call it is, the more memorable it is.

Think about all the times you've come across some sort of accident that you can see just happend. It makes you think, damn if I would have left just 2,5,10 ect. minutes earlier, that could have been me. Or when you reach your destination you come to find out a really bad accident happened just minutes after you passed by.

The same sort of thing happend to me, refering to your story. Me and my girlfriend and our daughter were driving down the road, and about a quarter mile down the road we saw a huge cloud of dust. When we got closer there was a truck rolled over in the ditch. It was coming towards us and swerved across our lane and ended up in the opposite ditch. If we had been literally just seconds sooner, it most likely would have struck us. I think about that alot, but only because it was a very close call. I have come across numerous other accidents, that may have happened 5 or 10 minutes before I arrived, but don't think too much about them times. I would hardly believe it was any act of a fairy. Where were the fairies of the people who actually did get into the accident? Sleeping on the job? Why would one protect a nonbeliever (me) and not protect a potential believer?

...just because a fairy wants to protect someone does not mean they are able to...there are also 'not-so-good' forces out there that are working against them...

The reason that feries might look like they are taken from the book is because the book might have taken them. Or perhaps faeries disguise themselves so as to appear as children in costumes.

These books came from folk tales past down for generations. It would be suspect if not for the argument being that these fairies have been communicating with so-called "insane" people for thousands of years.

...someone was looking out for you guys as well as the bike guy...my vote is on fairys...

Why is it every time someone narrowly escapes a catastrophe, it has nothing to do with actual conditions of the event, it's always God/fairies/angels/other random crap 'looking out' for them? You people can't accept that hey, maybe the world isn't out to get us, and Gawd/whatever doesn't need to protect us all the time. I didn't drown that one time when I was three. Of course it has nothing to do with the people that actually saved me, it was fairies looking out for me! Okay, I'll play your game. If fairies/god/et al. exist, why do they let us get into near death experiences, instead of avoiding them all together? A thought that comes up is this blading accident I got into a little over a year ago. My cousin, a few friends and I were scoping out an area to make video (biking, skating, and blading), and we found this pretty steep paved hill that we figured we could either race down or set up a ramp on. I don't normally roller blade (they were just convenient at the time), so my cousin and I decide to race down the hill. He (one a bike) used the road, and I (stupidly) used the sidewalk. The accelerating got scary, but I couldn't stop very well, because yeah, roller blade brakes *suck*. So, there was a house at the bottom of the hill, and the sidewalk did a 90° turn. There was no way in hell I could make that, so I tried to jump the bit of grass separating the sidewalk from the road. Bad move, I fell, rolled around, ended up on the road with a broken clavicle and severely bruised head (haha.. still won't wear a helmet..). Seconds after I fell, this dude on a truck comes speeding toward us, barely stopping before he hit the group of kids gathered around me. If he had left his house like two seconds earlier, I'd be dead.

Now of course, Atlantis will claim it's just fairies looking after me. But why not just help me avoid the bail in the first place? Kinda mean of them. "Oh, we won't let you die, but we're gonna let you get hurt." That's like me punching a kid in the face but stopping before he dies. "It's cool dude, I only broke your nose."

These books came from folk tales past down for generations. It would be suspect if not for the argument being that these fairies have been communicating with so-called "insane" people for thousands of years.

Read the following very carefully, especially where it points out what the original folklore beliefs were.

Fairies are generally described as human in appearance and having magical powers. Their origins are less clear in the folklore, being variously dead, or some form of angel, or a species completely independent of humans or angels. Folklorists have suggested that their actual origin lies in a conquered race living in hiding, or in religious beliefs that lost currency with the advent of Christianity. These explanations are not always mutually incompatible, and they may be traceable to multiple sources.

Much of the folklore about fairies revolves about protection from their malice, by such means as cold iron (fairies don't like iron and will not go near it) or charms of rowan and herbs, or avoiding offense by shunning locations known to be theirs. In particular, folklore describes how to prevent the fairies from stealing babies and substituting changelings, and abducting older people as well. Many folktales are told of fairies, and they appear as characters in stories from medieval tales of chivalry, to Victorian fairy tales, and up to the present day in modern literature.

Although in modern culture they are often depicted as young, sometimes winged, females of small stature, they originally were depicted much differently: tall, radiant, angelic beings or short, wizened trolls being some of the commonly mentioned. Diminutive fairies of one kind or another have been recorded for centuries, but occur alongside the human-sized beings; these have been depicted as ranging in size from very tiny up to the size of a human child. Even with these small fairies, however, their small size may be magically assumed rather than constant.Wings, while common in Victorian and later artwork of fairies, are very rare in the folklore; even very small fairies flew with magic, sometimes flying on ragwort stems or the backs of birds. Nowadays, fairies are often depicted with ordinary insect wings or butterfly wings.

Various animals have also been described as fairies. Sometimes this is the result of shapeshifting on part of the fairy, as in the case of the selkie (seal people); others, like the kelpie and various black dogs, appear to stay more constant in form.

Don't try telling me people that claim to see these were raised invisioning them as what the original folklore has them as being, but rather they got it from modernized views of what fairies look like. For example an authors' rendition of a fairy. Which just backs up my claim about peoples imaginations running wild. If they truly seen what a fairy was originally seen as, then they would'nt describe a fairy that resembles Tinkerbell from PeterPan. Give me a break.

Edited by James8421

But why not just help me avoid the bail in the first place? Kinda mean of them. "Oh, we won't let you die, but we're gonna let you get hurt."

Well if they would have helped you sooner then you would have never learned your lesson :P as you probably didn't since you still don't wear helmets! :lol:

the endless argument: safety vs. experience/sensation. It's not just relevant to fairies... it's relevant to parents, to gods, to gamers, to businessmen... my stance is not to go extreme on the other side. You don't want to live your life in a veritable minefield... but you don't want everything safe and shielded either...