BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Masterword

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need those last guesses since they can't be right

we can eliminate all letters in "pickle" and "joyful", which gives us that 't' and 'a' is being used

now we can eliminate all letters in "quver" and "dogms" and then "friend" gives that 'n' is being used.

elimination of the rest of the impossible letters, and checking for result of multiple t's in attent,

gives us a word containing only a's, n's, and one t (impressive that every letter has been used...)

NOW we've got a conflict, "string" got an 'x' and "attent" got none.

And I'm pretty sure there is no such word...

a) I've made a mistake

b) You've made a mistake

c) You don't know the rules for multiple letters, which is pretty much the same thing as b)

The closest words we can get is those of CaptainEd...

Banana and Rattan...

Perhaps I am ignorant, but I'm pretty sure that sometimes the target words have had multiple instances of a letter.

I'm with you in your logic--the only letters in the target word are those in "ant" (that's why I asked quaver, hatbox, joyful, wizens, dogmas). However, since multiple instances are allowed (on my planet :) ), I've asked these words in order to find out how many Ts and As. As you point out, there can only be one "t", because of "attent" (which I looked up in Wiktionary before using it), so we're stuck with a word that has one "t" and five instances of "a" and "n" all told. And, given the locations of the Xs, they are at least .TA...

string:xo

motion:oo

friend:o

pickle:___

tackle:oo

quaver:x

hatbox:oo

dogmas:o

joyful:___

wizens:o

attent:xoo

banana:xoo

rattan:oooo

ah yes... Truemaja thanks for pointing that out I did make a mistake! whoops, my mistake! :blush:

Chidoric, we are wondering (TrueMaja and I) whether there might still be another mistake. Per TrueMaja's reasoning above, the only letters that are in the word are ANT.

From ATTENT (3), we know there is only one T.

From RATTAN (4), we know there are at least 2 A.

From BANANA (3), we know there are only 2 A and only 1 N.

So our 6 letter word has 2 A, 1 T, and 1 N, and no other letters of the alphabet.