BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello all,

I have returned to the den. I have internet at my flat now, so should be able to make regular occurrences here again. To get back into the mindset of the weird and wacky thinking, the way of the den, I am stating back with a game. It is hopefully new to you guys ( not sure what everyone has been up to, though I do notice some post counts have increased a lot). Enjoy.

The Scenario:

One year ago, Robert Killingsworth bought the farm. Six months later he was dead — leaving his widow Elizabeth to tend to their fledging vineyard and winery on the outskirts of California's wine country. With mounting debts and no idea how to run a business, Elizabeth is desperate to sell the farm and recoup her losses. The fierce drought and shaky economy, however have left Killlngsworth Farm on the market for far too long.

One early autumn day, six people passed through the gates of Killingsworth Farm to see Elizabeth...

One of them, a cold—blooded Killer:

Michael Nightshade — This real estate developer from New York arrived unannounced with plans to buy Killingsworth Farm and develop it into a low-cost housing community. His boss ordered him to obtain the Killlngsworth land at any cost...

Dr. Chelsea Barren — After suffering a nervous breakdown, this psychiatrist and near-best-selling author moved to Northern California to relax... but she moved next door to the Killingsworths instead.

Enrique Graves — This young drifter wandered onto Killingsworth Farm last year just as Robert and Elizabeth were moving in. Elizabeth took a liking to Enrique and he has lived on the farm ever since — tending to the fie|ds... among other things.

Vicki D’Adly - Elizabeth’s estranged sister from New Jersey, she and her husband were traveling on vacation when Vicki decided to drop by Killingsworth Farm for a visit... a surprise visit.

Norman D’Adly - A real estate broker from New Jersey and husband to Vicki, Norman is trying to salvage his job and his marriage while travelling across the country on vacation.

Kathryn Lawless — Best friend to Elizabeth, this local librarian and historian has a flare for the eccentric. She lives down the road with her 15 cats and loves true crime - especially the mysterious unsolved death of Robert Killingsworth.

Which of these people has a secret worth killing for? Come to Killingsworth Farm and find out before it is too late?

Signup:

Michael Nightshade -

Dr. Chelsea Barren -

Enrique Graves -

Vicki D’Adly -

Norman D’Adly -

Kathryn Lawless -

Detectives ( maximum of 4 )

These detective roles don't take part in the story, but they can interograte the players involved in the story.

• Answers 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Your secrets you want to try and avoid telling people. ( but cant lie). These are your dark secrets.

"Reveal when asked" info, you should reveal when asked. These are things like what you were doing in the morning..

What WERE you doing this morning, Kathryn? B))

More OCCness: I keep wanting to type Kathleen...>.<

<(^-^)>

<(^-^)>

I have to try hat not to mix you up with kay... I would hate to send the wrong scripts to the wrong people ... Round 3 will be posted tonight, about 8 hours..

<(^-^)>

Well, at 8 to 9 in the morning, I was at the Library shelving books and watering plants. Nothing strange there, I usually wake up early to take care of the library. Librarians do have a busy job, you know! Well, after that, I was running errands in town until 11 AM. After that, I went to the Killingsworth farm and had morning coffee with Elizabeth, which I often do. Now, how about you, Mr. Nightshade?

Well most of this morning was spent travelling to Killingsworth Farm, and I arrived at around noon, and Elizabeth and I were discussing buying the farm. She toured me around until about...one o'clock, when she was stung by a bee, and dropped the strange object she was holding. I returned with her to the farmhouse, where she cleaned herself up. Since there wasn't much left for me to see, I took to my car and made some important business calls. Elizabeth assured me it was ok to look around the farm on my own, so I did so, sketching a general map of the farm. She invited me back inside at about 5:15 for a wine tasting. About an hour and a half later, the lights went out, and Elizabeth went to investigate...she didn't come back, and still hasn't.

OOCness: You just asked about the morning didn't you :blush:

<(^-^)>

Just a quick question to people in the game.

how do guys feel about the speed/progression of this game? Is it too fast/ too slow? About right?

Thanks in advance for responding.

OOCness: It could be faster, but I think it's pretty good right now :3

<(^-^)>

OOCness: It could be faster, but I think it's pretty good right now :3

<(^-^)>

I agree. The pacing is ok, although this particular day seems to be a bit long. Maybe each episode should be 2 days, no more than 3? It really depends on how fast other people give out their info.

Me? I have spent the last four days at the library researching all aspects of the town, actually. I have to report back to the company to begin a marketing campaign for the new housing development.

<(^-^)>

Hmm...find anything particularly interesting about the town...particularly about it's history...maybe some gold prospectors or oil...or buried treasure? Or...anything about current plans for the town development?

Well, *clears throat* Enrique already mentioned this. I, being the librarian with much knowledge, was asked by Enrique to help him do some research for a paper on the history of the town for his college English course. Of course, I was too nice to say no. He was also rather *cough* handsome and I haven't been in a relationship in a while...oh, never mind that. Say, Enrique, did you find anything interesting for your paper? I did, after all, give you a good 50 pages of this town's history details. The above question is also directed to Michael Nightshade.

:lol: , that was a good attempt...

Hmm...well, I spend a large amount of time in the library, especially concerning Enrique and another person. I am not in a steady relationship and haven't been in one for a very long time, although I've been hoping for one recently. I enjoy my job as a librarian, though, especially when I can be of use to other people.

Ah yes, I remember seeing you very frequently at the library. You were extremely interesting in the history of this town, weren't you? Did you find anything interesting? Maybe a secret treasure legend? Or something else to catch your eye?

Well...in regards to the paper (Enrique should answer as well), find anything interesting about the town's history? Maybe some bank-robbers were caught but the loot was never found, and it's hidden somewhere...

Hoping for a relationship? Who is the other person...anyone we know?

Just a quick question to people in the game.

how do guys feel about the speed/progression of this game? Is it too fast/ too slow? About right?

Thanks in advance for responding.

Personally I would like it to go a little faster...but I guess when we find the body we'll have more to work with...

Hmm...find anything particularly interesting about the town...particularly about it's history...maybe some gold prospectors or oil...or buried treasure? Or...anything about current plans for the town development?

No, nothing of extreme interest...

OOCness: I'm not informed on what Mr. Nightshade found :wacko:

<(^-^)>

Well...in regards to the paper (Enrique should answer as well), find anything interesting about the town's history? Maybe some bank-robbers were caught but the loot was never found, and it's hidden somewhere...

Hmm...well, as I mentioned, I am rather popular and don't quite remember all the details...there were a couple stories and a few famous people I guess, but not enough to catch my eye.

Vicky; Did you have breakfast with Norman this morning?

Norman; How come you wanted to be a real estate agent?

Michael; What happened with your last land development project? Was it successfully?

Enrigue; Did you talk to Elizabeth after Robert Died? How was she coping?

Vicky; Did you have breakfast with Norman this morning?

Norman; How come you wanted to be a real estate agent?

Michael; What happened with your last land development project? Was it successfully?

Enrigue; Did you talk to Elizabeth after Robert Died? How was she coping?

Nope, I didn't see Norman since I wake up until afternoon. I have breakfast with my sis. Enrique saw that. He even saw I was crying.

Vicki

Round Three — The Discovery

The Scenario:

Almost as soon as all of the guests split up in search of the missing Elizabeth Killingsworth, the sound of screaming draws everyone deep into the labyrinth that makes up the Killingsworth Wine Vault — an expansive wine storage facility behind the Killingsworth Farmhouse. The lights will not tum on and only a sliver of moonlight shines through the window. As your eyes adjust to the darkness, you see a body face down in a large pool of blood. Your intuition tells you that you have found the body of Elizabeth Killingsworth.

The darkness of the Wine Vault makes an examination of the body impossible. The group decides to return to the main house to call the police. You suspect someone in this group is responsible for the murder of Elizabeth Killingsworth, and you have a few questions to ask.

Yeah...intuition alright...XP

But how was Elizabeth killed? What was the murder weapon? When did she die? Why won't the lights turn on...did someone cut the power? Since she was 'face down in a large pool of blood', that means she was attacked from the back? (Where's that :backstab: when you need it...;P). Also, that means the blood hasn't dried yet...so she hasn't been dead long...so who's been away from the party recently...

But how was Elizabeth killed? What was the murder weapon? When did she die? Why won't the lights turn on...did someone cut the power? Since she was 'face down in a large pool of blood', that means she was attacked from the back? (Where's that :backstab: when you need it...;P). Also, that means the blood hasn't dried yet...so she hasn't been dead long...so who's been away from the party recently...

Thats a lot of queestions for one paragraph.

ok answering questions from round 2 first

"No i didnt find anything out tof the ordinary from the history papers... found what i wanted for my essay though :)

"Yes i spoke to Elizabeth often after Robert died, She was very lonely. She often wandered at why someone would kill Robert, i cant agree more he was a kind and considerate man."

well we did hear her scream... and we were all seperated too searching for her and clues... and someone found her...

ok answering questions from round 2 first

"No i didnt find anything out tof the ordinary from the history papers... found what i wanted for my essay though :)

"Yes i spoke to Elizabeth often after Robert died, She was very lonely. She often wandered at why someone would kill Robert, i cant agree more he was a kind and considerate man."

well we did hear her scream... and we were all seperated too searching for her and clues... and someone found her...

Hmm...how do you know it was her screaming? Why couldn't it have been the screaming of the first person to find the body...

In fact, if she were attacked from behind in the dark as the scenario implies, she wouldn't have seen her attacker and would have no reason to scream...so who was the one screaming, i.e. the first person on the scene?

Hmm...how do you know it was her screaming? Why couldn't it have been the screaming of the first person to find the body...

In fact, if she were attacked from behind in the dark as the scenario implies, she wouldn't have seen her attacker and would have no reason to scream...so who was the one screaming, i.e. the first person on the scene?

ah true didnt think of it that way :blush:

"while we are all gathered here i found this yesterday while cleaning the farmhouse..."

Clue

Handwritten yellowed letter stamped "Marcocain Public Library — Vertical Files G4 7-06"

Marcocain, Cal

September 18, 1850

Dear Sister,

I want you to come join me. I want you to bring John, Virginia, and Little Bill. This land is unequaled and the world has never presented such a picture as California now presents.

This letter must reach you in confidence, however. I have found an untapped vein of gold in the valley on my farm. God willing, it may yield hundreds if not thousands of pounds of gold! I need to mine that gold, but have invested everything I own in this farm. Others are arriving fast from far away states to prospect. I will keep them from my find as long as possible, but we must move swiftly. I need money to hire men I can trust. I must keep this a secret as long as possible. If you can, sell your property and bring all the money you can.

I will write again shortly and instruct you how to cross the plains.

From Your Affectionate Brother

Samuel Friedmont

The following handwritten script appears on the reverse of the page:

Friedmont!

1850: 1oz Gold = $18.50 x 16(oz/pound) x 1000 lbs = $296,000.00

$296,000.00 in 1850 = $6,l50,067.02 Today!!!

"belong to anyone? Prehaps you Norman? just suggesting as Kathryn said she saw something gold in your bag..."

ooc: doing this now as i know you will all be impatient for it while i am at school ;)

I do not know whether I should tell this, but I want everyone of you know that my sister Elizabeth hates Dr. Chelsea. She admitted to you after this afternoon lunch!

Kathryn, if you could remember when we had lunch together with my sis this afternoon, Dr Chelsea seemed to invited herself to join us. Don't you feel that Elizabeth was uncomfortable? You are her best friend. You could tell how she felt that moment, right?

Edited by woon

I do not know whether I should tell this, but I want everyone of you know that my sister Elizabeth hates Dr. Chelsea. She admitted to you after this afternoon lunch!

Kathryn, if you could remember when we had lunch together with my sis this afternoon, Dr Chelsea seemed to invited herself to join us. Don't you feel that Elizabeth was uncomfortable? You are her best friend. You could tell how she felt that moment, right?

Well! I'll admit that I did join Ms. Elizabeth for lunch yeserday, but is this alone truly enough to make the woman hate me? I see no reason for her to have such strong feelings towards me.

And, whilst we're letting out information, I've known for quite a while now that Enrique keeps a marijuana crop down by the lake. I've wondered for just as long if he has a drug problem, and if anyone else knows of it.

Edit: Misspelled 'wondered'. :blush:

Edited by Kay