BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Hello all,

I have returned to the den. I have internet at my flat now, so should be able to make regular occurrences here again. To get back into the mindset of the weird and wacky thinking, the way of the den, I am stating back with a game. It is hopefully new to you guys ( not sure what everyone has been up to, though I do notice some post counts have increased a lot). Enjoy.

The Scenario:

One year ago, Robert Killingsworth bought the farm. Six months later he was dead — leaving his widow Elizabeth to tend to their fledging vineyard and winery on the outskirts of California's wine country. With mounting debts and no idea how to run a business, Elizabeth is desperate to sell the farm and recoup her losses. The fierce drought and shaky economy, however have left Killlngsworth Farm on the market for far too long.

One early autumn day, six people passed through the gates of Killingsworth Farm to see Elizabeth...

One of them, a cold—blooded Killer:

Michael Nightshade — This real estate developer from New York arrived unannounced with plans to buy Killingsworth Farm and develop it into a low-cost housing community. His boss ordered him to obtain the Killlngsworth land at any cost...

Dr. Chelsea Barren — After suffering a nervous breakdown, this psychiatrist and near-best-selling author moved to Northern California to relax... but she moved next door to the Killingsworths instead.

Enrique Graves — This young drifter wandered onto Killingsworth Farm last year just as Robert and Elizabeth were moving in. Elizabeth took a liking to Enrique and he has lived on the farm ever since — tending to the fie|ds... among other things.

Vicki D’Adly - Elizabeth’s estranged sister from New Jersey, she and her husband were traveling on vacation when Vicki decided to drop by Killingsworth Farm for a visit... a surprise visit.

Norman D’Adly - A real estate broker from New Jersey and husband to Vicki, Norman is trying to salvage his job and his marriage while travelling across the country on vacation.

Kathryn Lawless — Best friend to Elizabeth, this local librarian and historian has a flare for the eccentric. She lives down the road with her 15 cats and loves true crime - especially the mysterious unsolved death of Robert Killingsworth.

Which of these people has a secret worth killing for? Come to Killingsworth Farm and find out before it is too late?

Signup:

Michael Nightshade -

Dr. Chelsea Barren -

Enrique Graves -

Vicki D’Adly -

Norman D’Adly -

Kathryn Lawless -

Detectives ( maximum of 4 )

These detective roles don't take part in the story, but they can interograte the players involved in the story.

• Answers 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Are you accusing me as a loner? Of course I have more friends other than Eli! Although, naturally, Elizabeth is the closest friend I have. I will proudly say I'm close to most of the people living in this chummy town. One doesn't become the town's major gossip from sitting at home all day knitting! If I may say so myself, I have quite the social life B))

Ah, I see. Why haven't I met you at one of my social gatherings, then? You seem quite the character, and you're more than welcome to attend the next one.

Oh, and Mr. D'Adly? That is the way to handle a perfectly reasonable accusation, rather than blowing up and digging yourself an even deeper hole.

*starts to calm down* i need to relax... sorry for snapping... i'm sorta have been a little overworked which is why we went on this vacation in the first place. I overreacted. *takes some more drink* i just need to relax and release some stress...

It's quite alright. I understand I might have acted a bit hastily too, but you can certainly understand where I'm coming from.

It's quite alright. I understand I might have acted a bit hastily too, but you can certainly understand where I'm coming from.

*takes a deep breath* Yes i do understand where you are coming from. *leans back against wall and starts to clean binoculars again*

In Mr. D'Adly's defense, I'm sure anyone would be bothered and would automatically defend themselves if put into such a position. To be accused of a murder is quite the thing to rattle a brain!

Thank you by the way... all this news and whats been happening abach at home is a little mind rattling if i do say so myself.

OOC: Didn't see the OOC part o.O

*Shakes hand* Nice to meet you Sir...hobbies you say? Well I like to draw, it comes with the job of landscaper...would you like to see the sketch of the land, which I did earlier?

Sketched map of the surrounding area:

Round1%20-%20ClueImg.jpeg

<(^-^)>

Edit: Sorry...Tal told me I had to post that soon...:unsure:

ooc: NICE!!!

Following Dr. Barren's example, I find it upon myself to find the killer of my dear Elizabeth's husband! I refuse to stand by and watch the murderer get away! From the amazingly drawn map by [insert Kat's character name :blush: ], I believe one of the prime suspects is Dr. Barren. She is a neighbor of the Killingsworth's, and can easily ambush and kill Eli's husband. Also, I know there are winery and wine vaults nearby, so Dr. Barren could have gotten Mr. Killingsworth drunk and then ended his life! That would have been a perfect plan, and the death could have passed as a drunk accident fairly easily!

*takes a deep breath* Yes i do understand where you are coming from. *leans back against wall and starts to clean binoculars again*

Mr. D'Adly, may I ask about your binoculars? I know you might have mentioned it before, but I'm afraid I had zoned out during that particular part.

Hello, Kathryn. Quite nice to meet you. As for why I moved to the farmland? As I said, my husband's social life is rather drab. It always has been, and the fast pace of Los Angeles was starting to put a strain on us. Rather than ruin what really is a good thing, we decided to move to a quieter town. Though, I must say, that's really none of your business, Ma'am.

Edit: Color.

So...what exactly does your husband do? Perchance, is he into real-estate or perhaps, development? Or maybe archeology?

I just thought we could be closer like before, afterall we are sisters. But I never expect to received the sad new the moment I reach here. Anyway, lets talk later when we see her.

By the way, you said she talk to you about me? What does she talk about? Did she ever mention she saw me appeared on the Gerry Springger Show ? I remember the title for that episod was "What I'd Do For a Buck". My collegue and I still talk about this at the beauty shop. :)

Hmm...my memory fails me...could you refresh my memory by relating what you did on that episode?

True, I know very little about you apart from what you've told me. But I can discern no other person who would have any reason to want Mr. Killingsworth dead. I'm a mystery writer, you must remember. I can deduce quite a lot from quite a little.

Oh...personally I think that perhaps you're barking up the wrong affair tree...have you ever read Agatha Christie's 'Evil Under the Sun'? You seem rather concerned about Mr. Killingsworth...did you have a personal connection with the deceased?

On another note...did we ever get the details of the death? If not...since Enrique was here when it happened, could he relate the details? Thanks.

Following Dr. Barren's example, I find it upon myself to find the killer of my dear Elizabeth's husband! I refuse to stand by and watch the murderer get away! From the amazingly drawn map by [insert Kat's character name :blush: ], I believe one of the prime suspects is Dr. Barren. She is a neighbor of the Killingsworth's, and can easily ambush and kill Eli's husband. Also, I know there are winery and wine vaults nearby, so Dr. Barren could have gotten Mr. Killingsworth drunk and then ended his life! That would have been a perfect plan, and the death could have passed as a drunk accident fairly easily!

Now, Kathyrn. Dare I remind you that I hardly knew Eilzabeth, let alone her late husband? The only times we ever spoke were when I was trying to do just as I had planned this morning - use some of her land as Valet Parking. Unless you can produce some sort of a motive, I'm afraid your accusations fall rather short of earth-shattering.

OOC: I agree with ST: Nice map, Kat!!

Mr. Nightshade if you will...I had the same thought when I heard what happened...what do you say to that, Doctor?

Mr. D'Adly, may I ask about your binoculars? I know you might have mentioned it before, but I'm afraid I had zoned out during that particular part.

I believe he birdwatches Ma'am...so Mr. D'Adly, do you carry those binoculars everywhere?

<(^-^)>

Very good catch there by the way... and i would like to add something... Mr. Nightshade didn't you say this was your first time here? And to answer your question er... is it miss Lawless? *hears Mr.nightshade answer for him and as ask question*

I believe he birdwatches Ma'am...so Mr. D'Adly, do you carry those binoculars everywhere?

Yes i do, you never know what you could see at any minute!

edit: i forgot to mention i edited mty post due to kat posting before me

Edited by Riranor

Mr. Nightshade didn't you say this was your first time here?

Yes, today was my first day that I've visited this plot of land.

Yes i do, you never know what you could see at any minute!

I see...any birds here that caught your interest? Or maybe...something else you spotted?

<(^-^)>

Edited by Kathleen

So...what exactly does your husband do? Perchance, is he into real-estate or perhaps, development? Or maybe archeology?

My husband's job? Ah...this is quite embarrassing...but he never shared the details of his work with me. Truth be told, I never found it in my intrest to ask. He is some sort of business man with some very official-sounding title who I am sure does very little in reality.

OOC: I earnestly have no idea what my husband's job is supposed to be. Don't read much into this post. ;) Oh, and by the way, why the italics on development?

Oh...personally I think that perhaps you're barking up the wrong affair tree...have you ever read Agatha Christie's 'Evil Under the Sun'? You seem rather concerned about Mr. Killingsworth...did you have a personal connection with the deceased?

You've got it particularily wrong. I'm concerned not about Mr. Killingsworth, but his killer. Just because the Killingsworths and I did not speak much doesn't mean I'm not concerned that the murderer of a fellow human being is sitting among us. And, no, I haven't heard of the book you mention, much less read it.

OOC: I'm twelve...I haven't read much. ;)

Wow! What happen to all you accusing my hubby while I just away to ladies? Just because of we are her relative and we been suspected?

By the way, why so sure about this is a murder case. I didn't recall anyone said he was killed?

Vicki

Edited by woon

OOC: I'm twelve...I haven't read much. ;)

Lol...when I was twelve...actually, eleven I was reading Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles...

Anyways, where's the sister? I had a question for her...she seemed pretty disgruntled about Elizabeth's marriage...was it from losing a sister or losing a lover? ;P

Yes, today was my first day that I've visited this plot of land.

I see...any birds here that caught your interest? Or maybe...something else you spotted?

<(^-^)>

No birds seem to be chirping today... a bummer really. i think I'll have to wait for them to come out later or something.

edi: no... nothing else... and what do you mean?

Edited by Riranor

Hmm...my memory fails me...could you refresh my memory by relating what you did on that episode?

Uh, that moment. I just tell the audience take a buck for you to reach to the beauty counters. Try the samples testing that promoters offered and you can have a total fresh make up for a day!

And I remember many customers look for me at my counter after the episode. :proud:

Lol...when I was twelve...actually, eleven I was reading Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles...

Anyways, where's the sister? I had a question for her...she seemed pretty disgruntled about Elizabeth's marriage...was it from losing a sister or losing a lover? ;P

I read a lot of books above my age level, but mostly high-school, not adult books. Though I'm reading the Scarlet Letter for class, and I kind of like it...

ANYWAY, back on topic, how do we determine when Round 2 starts? When everyone's accused everyone else? :P

No birds seem to be chirping today... a bummer really. i think I'll have to wait for them to come out later or something.

edi: no... nothing else... and what do you mean?

I don't know, but we are in the middle of a murder, and anything you've seen could be...helpful...

<(^-^)>

Excuse me, can I make your pardon? I disgruntled my loved sister's marriage? Nonsense! She discovered boys and kept herself away from me. And she herself never contact me ever since she got married. And you put all the blames on me?

edit: Oh mama, I keep forgetting touch up my word with blue color.

Edited by woon

I don't know, but we are in the middle of a murder, and anything you've seen could be...helpful...

<(^-^)>

i didnt see anything about the murder. If i did wouldn't i have told you guys when you started accusing me?

Excuse me, can I make your pardon? I disgruntled my loved sister's marriage? Nonsense! She discovered boys and kept herself away from me. And she herself never contact me ever since she got married. And you put all the blames on me?

edit: Oh mama, I keep forgetting touch up my word with blue color.

Well, the OP says:

Vicki D’Adly - Elizabeth’s estranged sister from New Jersey, she and her husband were traveling on vacation when Vicki decided to drop by Killingsworth Farm for a visit... a surprise visit.

Norman D’Adly - A real estate broker from New Jersey and husband to Vicki, Norman is trying to salvage his job and his marriage while travelling across the country on vacation.

So what happened b/w Elizabeth and Vicki which caused their relationship to be estranged? And what happened b/w Norman and Vicki to make their marriage need salvaging? A possible answer to both seems to be if there's something going on in the Vicki/Robert pairing or the Norman/Elizabeth pairing. Seeing how upset Vicki was about Elizabeth's and Robert's marriage seems to imply it's the Vicki/Robert one...or maybe she's upset about Norman taking a fancy to Elizabeth, who was always more popular with the boys?

I agree that there is some highly incriminating evidence stacked against Mr. and Mrs. D'Adly, but how much can we know without the Widow Elizabeth? Does anyone have the sightest clue where she might be? Her husband's just been murdered, for God's sake, and nobody knows where the woman is?

Well...I think Kat did it...b/c she's always a baddie ;).

But when do we get the details of the murder?

Round two will come after I check through all the messages so far, and post the information to players..

Did the map work out for everyone? I couldn't see it at work?

On another note...did we ever get the details of the death? If not...since Enrique was here when it happened, could he relate the details? Thanks.

No details about the death have been discovered yet

I read a lot of books above my age level, but mostly high-school, not adult books. Though I'm reading the Scarlet Letter for class, and I kind of like it...

ANYWAY, back on topic, how do we determine when Round 2 starts? When everyone's accused everyone else? :P

I will post when round two has started, with round two you will receive more information to play with ;)