BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

My loving son could easily solve this riddle,

& always first look right down the middle.

Everywhere I go shrouded by death,

Was I right! He led two till their very last breath.

Tough the path to the blond beast,

the seer not capable of eating his feast.

Journey by seas, look to the sky! can you tell me now who am I?

Edited by Socrates

23 answers to this question

I apologize for my time inconsistencies related to my attendance to this riddle. I must say that Shakeepuddn is the closest to the solution, just follow on that line of thought, just apply to all aspects of the riddle.

Edited by Socrates

It can't be Athena, as she was the "Virgin Goddess." Also, it was Hera who protected Jason.

Laertes.

He's the father of Odysseus (who was the problem solver) AND an argonaut.

or

Aegeus

He (and Poseidon) was the father of Theseus. Theseus' ship was "shrouded" with a black sail indicating his supposed death and Theseus was an argonaut.

I'm running out of options here and my Edith Hamilton is gone dog-eared! :)

It can't be Athena, as she was the "Virgin Goddess." Also, it was Hera who protected Jason.
Laertes.

He's the father of Odysseus (who was the problem solver) AND an argonaut.

or

Aegeus

He (and Poseidon) was the father of Theseus. Theseus' ship was "shrouded" with a black sail indicating his supposed death and Theseus was an argonaut.

I'm running out of options here and my Edith Hamilton is gone dog-eared! :)

Laertes

Penelope was weaving (and unraveling) his death shroud while Odysseus was away.

Jason... the man looking for the golden fleece.he got to men killed and after he ran out of hints for the fleece he had to help a blind prophet or seer get food from the harpies

Shakeepuddn great logical deduction as you narrowed the answer correctly down to Laertes.

Sorry the centering was a little astray but if you read down the riddle starting with the "l" in loving you will find the man who completes the riddle.

Sorry the centering was a little astray but if you read down the riddle starting with the "l" in loving you will find the man who completes the riddle.

Shakeepuddn great logical deduction as you narrowed the answer correctly down to Laertes.

I was tending toward Laertes quite early on but the end of the poem threw me: "Look to the sky" kept be thinking it was one of the 12 olympians. Can you clarify that part?

This is probably the most difficult part of the riddle for you must be well versed in the stories of the Argonauts. At one point on their journey the crew loses faith in Jason, for he even doubts himself and the purpose of the trying journey, (this understandably being after the incident with the women on Lemnos.) After many days without the sight of land, the crew recognizes that they are lost at sea. Then as the crew confronts the delerious Jason, Laertes comments about the how if it was night the stars could aid them on their journey. At this point Jason remembers in his mind the constellations and if my memory serves correctly finds the correct direction to Colchis and the fleece is east. On a much simpler note that line can just be applied that Jason receives divine intervention throughout his epic trials and tribulations.