BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

A well-respected United States Senator was shot dead despite the presence of the Secret Service. Not only that, but there was absolutely no clue to be found about the killer! So they wrangled up the 5 usual suspects, one of which was surely the perpetrator. Their names are: Brian Furgussen, Ernie Rapaport, Rick Carlille, Paul Nottingham and Nestor Rodriguez. But all the inspectors were clueless ...until the Senator's daughter received a cryptic letter in the mail.

It read:

My Beloved Daughter,

If you have received this then I surely am dead. All I can ask is that you carry on with your life ...but first, I'd like you to get some vengeance for your dearest Daddy. There's some clearance you'll need to gain first.

(18.2, 21.2, 14.1, 34.3, 31.1, 44.2, 18.1, 33.2, 34.3) ~I'm sure you'll know where to find it.

Once you've found it, you'll need this:

(23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) ~entering this code will change the fingerprint recognition on my master library door to match yours.

Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 29 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase. There you will find one of my favorite books (Just be sure to use the first step when deciphering this next one. It differs somewhat):

(5.2, 32.2, 22.1, 45.2, 14.3, 7.3, 37.1, 41.1, 36.3) ~we both loved this one, just not the middle of the title (we'd always just gloss over it)

Once you pull the book down, note when it was published. Add to that date, the sum of the code you used in the second step (+2 for good luck :P ). Then just decipher:

JGI XCLFDCT EQFDV GDR JGI RDFI LVLJLDHR DR JGI NLHHIC ~and you'll surely know who to arrest!

~sorry I couldn't be clearer honey, but I know how much you love your puzzles

Thanks Sweetheart,

Your Loving Dad

The Agents read the letter over and over and questioned the girl many times about the clues and what she could possibly know.

"Where would your father have hidden something? Think of hiding spots that would have passwords or locks"

"Well they could be anywhere! I don't know for sure, and I'm not really sure why he thought I would... don't you guys do your jobs? They could be on a hard drive, in his cell phone, at his safe house... he also has a giant safe and a hidden box that's behind a painting of love birds... hmm, maybe at the bank vault? I just don't know..."

"Well, what about the second part?"

"It's kind of tough when I don't know the first! ...sigh... at least I can decipher the cryptogram, but it's basically useless without the rest... Why couldn't he just have wrote the guy's name?"

So ...whodunit? :huh:

Edit: I changed a word in the dialogue that has nothing to do with the puzzle. It was something I was originally going to do and then dropped it as I wrote the post. It doesn't impact anything: it was "hidden the documents" and now it's "hidden something"

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

pleeeeeeease solve this. its driving me crazy :wacko: not that i'm trying to solve it at all. it just seems to hard... i like to watch smart people at work :D

I tried and figured out the first part, but I was crushed to my newbe level by this puzzle. :D

Bit of a blind stab in the dark.

I am still mistified over the key to solving the cryptogram in Part 4 but . . .

Could the book name be LABYRINTH? This is the only book I can think of which begins with an L and which you might want to 'skip over the middle of'.

Doesn't help particularly since the book I was thinking of was published in about 2005 but someone might know of another book with the same name.