BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

A well-respected United States Senator was shot dead despite the presence of the Secret Service. Not only that, but there was absolutely no clue to be found about the killer! So they wrangled up the 5 usual suspects, one of which was surely the perpetrator. Their names are: Brian Furgussen, Ernie Rapaport, Rick Carlille, Paul Nottingham and Nestor Rodriguez. But all the inspectors were clueless ...until the Senator's daughter received a cryptic letter in the mail.

It read:

My Beloved Daughter,

If you have received this then I surely am dead. All I can ask is that you carry on with your life ...but first, I'd like you to get some vengeance for your dearest Daddy. There's some clearance you'll need to gain first.

(18.2, 21.2, 14.1, 34.3, 31.1, 44.2, 18.1, 33.2, 34.3) ~I'm sure you'll know where to find it.

Once you've found it, you'll need this:

(23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) ~entering this code will change the fingerprint recognition on my master library door to match yours.

Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 29 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase. There you will find one of my favorite books (Just be sure to use the first step when deciphering this next one. It differs somewhat):

(5.2, 32.2, 22.1, 45.2, 14.3, 7.3, 37.1, 41.1, 36.3) ~we both loved this one, just not the middle of the title (we'd always just gloss over it)

Once you pull the book down, note when it was published. Add to that date, the sum of the code you used in the second step (+2 for good luck :P ). Then just decipher:

JGI XCLFDCT EQFDV GDR JGI RDFI LVLJLDHR DR JGI NLHHIC ~and you'll surely know who to arrest!

~sorry I couldn't be clearer honey, but I know how much you love your puzzles

Thanks Sweetheart,

Your Loving Dad

The Agents read the letter over and over and questioned the girl many times about the clues and what she could possibly know.

"Where would your father have hidden something? Think of hiding spots that would have passwords or locks"

"Well they could be anywhere! I don't know for sure, and I'm not really sure why he thought I would... don't you guys do your jobs? They could be on a hard drive, in his cell phone, at his safe house... he also has a giant safe and a hidden box that's behind a painting of love birds... hmm, maybe at the bank vault? I just don't know..."

"Well, what about the second part?"

"It's kind of tough when I don't know the first! ...sigh... at least I can decipher the cryptogram, but it's basically useless without the rest... Why couldn't he just have wrote the guy's name?"

So ...whodunit? :huh:

Edit: I changed a word in the dialogue that has nothing to do with the puzzle. It was something I was originally going to do and then dropped it as I wrote the post. It doesn't impact anything: it was "hidden the documents" and now it's "hidden something"

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Can you tell my boss isn't here today?

There are 27 Ammendments to the constitution and 6 pending which equals 33.

33 is the atomic number of arsenic - but our senator was shot so probably not sig.

The sum of the first four positive factorials (1+2+6+24)

Edith or Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford, Nancy Reagan, Pat Nixon, and Rosylin? Carter. so probably looking for a book with 9 letters that was published some X numbers before these ladies were the US "Primary Woman"

well, enough work for today. I am heading home. I hope I can solve this tonight - it is bugging me. I feel like I am close.

Edited by debraW76

the sum of 23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35 is NOT 5?

Well, not for this puzzle ;) If it was, I would have just written '5' :P To get the answer to step2, use a similar method to Step 1. It's basically impossible to continue without going in order.

Can you tell my boss isn't here today?
hehe :D

There are 27 Ammendments to the constitution and 6 pending which equals 33.

33 is the atomic number of arsenic - but our senator was shot so probably not sig.

The sum of the first four positive factorials (1+2+6+24)

nothing to do with elements. The amendments were a good idea, it's certainly govt. related. Like I said, try a variation of step 1.

Edith or Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford, Nancy Reagan, Pat Nixon, and Rosylin? Carter. so probably looking for a book with 9 letters that was published some X numbers before these ladies were the US "Primary Woman"
great thinking and you are totally correct about these initials. it's just that to find the correct one, you will need to find the methods and answers to the previous steps B))

well, enough work for today. I am heading home. I hope I can solve this tonight - it is bugging me. I feel like I am close.
well done so far :)

Its been a week - is it too early to start asking for clues? ;)

I'm at a loss. I have tried elections, presidents, V-Pres, first ladies, and heads of secret service and am not getting anywhere.

I am not a history or government expert. Can all of the answers be found on wikipedia?

And is the "33 Bookcases" Significant? could it be 24 bookcases and we still get the answer?

I'm at a loss. I have tried elections, presidents, V-Pres, first ladies, and heads of secret service and am not getting anywhere.

I am not a history or government expert. Can all of the answers be found on wikipedia?

And is the "33 Bookcases" Significant? could it be 24 bookcases and we still get the answer?

I tried the oficial governament site Presidents, vice-presidentes and senators. I think that the "master library" is associated with the 33 bookcases and it is an important USA library (I tried the Congress Library but found nothing).

I'm not American and i dont know were else to look for this code. Please, just a little hint? :D

I guess I still dont understand how (23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) are suppose to be government related to give a clue yet you can add them to come up with a number?

The riddle says to "Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 33 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase. There you will find one of my favorite books (Just be sure to use the first step when deciphering this next one. It differs somewhat):"

I dont know what I am looking for. Does (23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) equal a 4 letter word or 4 numbers you add? Or somehow both?

Heh, I figured this was dead ;) Sure, I'll give hints, clues, whatever:

no need to be an expert in anything, you've already found the basic element to the whole puzzle anyway B)) . Try the bold part and find the 4 numbers to the combination. 33 isn't very significant, but it will help with part 4.

I tried the oficial governament site Presidents, vice-presidentes and senators. I think that the "master library" is associated with the 33 bookcases and it is an important USA library (I tried the Congress Library but found nothing).

I'm not American and i dont know were else to look for this code. Please, just a little hint? :D

hint above. just subtract each and get 4 numbers. no need to gain any further info than you got when solving part 1 actually. Just check out a different column in the list you must have found. ;)

I guess I still dont understand how (23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) are suppose to be government related to give a clue yet you can add them to come up with a number?

The riddle says to "Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 33 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase. There you will find one of my favorite books (Just be sure to use the first step when deciphering this next one. It differs somewhat):"

I dont know what I am looking for. Does (23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) equal a 4 letter word or 4 numbers you add? Or somehow both?

They are 4 numbers that add up to another number. The number is between 1 and 33. And when correlated to the alphabet will help you with part 4. (let's assume he kept his books in alphabetical order)

once you get part 2, part 4 is a bit tricky. It basically entails working backward. Hopefully the number bookcase and the clues will give you a good idea of what book it must be. If not then try:

Spoiler for this combo (give-away):

-++-----+ ;)

Since no one has taken up the mantle, let's review

Step 1) (18.2, 21.2, 14.1, 34.3, 31.1, 44.2, 18.1, 33.2, 34.3) ~I'm sure you'll know where to find it.

related to U.S. Presidents, so this spells out SAFEHOUSE.

Step 2) (23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) ~entering this code will change the fingerprint recognition on my master library door to match yours.

Itachi hinted at elections, so I'll guess these are the years certain elections took place, but I don't think some of the numbers matter if that's the case. They would just be 8 + 0 + 4 + 2 (the zero and two are the important ones) and we get 14.

Step 3) Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 33 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase. There you will find one of my favorite books (Just be sure to use the first step when deciphering this next one. It differs somewhat):

but we just did that - 14

Step 4) (5.2, 32.2, 22.1, 45.2, 14.3, 7.3, 37.1, 41.1, 36.3) ~we both loved this one, just not the middle of the title (we'd always just gloss over it)

So we have our 14, which if correct corresponds to the letter "M", but this code differs from the first as there is no 45th president to use (unless Itachi is a time traveling ninja). What do we do with this code and is the "M" important to this step or used later?

Step 5) Once you pull the book down, note when it was published. Add to that date, the sum of the code you used in the second step. Then just decipher:

Find the book title then it's published date I suppose and add 14 to that date, which will probably give us another date for a president and first lady.

Step 6) JGI XCLFDCT EQFDV GDR JGI RDFI LVLJLDHR DR JGI NLHHIC ~and you'll surely know who to arrest!

The primary lady shares the killer's initials, or something like that.

So we need step 4 to be completed before we can continue.

I tried presidential terms but ran into a wall (in particular term 7 - James Madison has no middle initial) also it made no sense. I tried vice presidents and was able to get some letters, but they also made no sense, then I tried to offset those letters by 14 going both forward and back, but again I could get nothing out of it.

Prof. Templeton - Since no one has taken up the mantle, let's review

Step 4) (5.2, 32.2, 22.1, 45.2, 14.3, 7.3, 37.1, 41.1, 36.3) ~we both loved this one, just not the middle of the title (we'd always just gloss over it)

So we have our 14, which if correct corresponds to the letter "M", but this code differs from the first as there is no 45th president to use (unless Itachi is a time traveling ninja). What do we do with this code and is the "M" important to this step or used later?

Prof. T, by my calculations, such as they are, the 14th letter of the alphabet is N

Edited by Jiminy Cricket

Prof. Templeton - Since no one has taken up the mantle, let's review

Prof. T, by my calculations, such as they are, the 14th letter of the alphabet is N

So it is. :blush: Still doesn't help much though.

Edited by Prof. Templeton

Since no one has taken up the mantle, let's review

Step 1) (18.2, 21.2, 14.1, 34.3, 31.1, 44.2, 18.1, 33.2, 34.3) ~I'm sure you'll know where to find it.

related to U.S. Presidents, so this spells out SAFEHOUSE.

Step 2) (23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) ~entering this code will change the fingerprint recognition on my master library door to match yours.

Itachi hinted at elections, so I'll guess these are the years certain elections took place, but I don't think some of the numbers matter if that's the case. They would just be 8 + 0 + 4 + 2 (the zero and two are the important ones) and we get 14.

Step 3) Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 33 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase. There you will find one of my favorite books (Just be sure to use the first step when deciphering this next one. It differs somewhat):

but we just did that - 14

Step 5) Once you pull the book down, note when it was published. Add to that date, the sum of the code you used in the second step. Then just decipher:

Find the book title then it's published date I suppose and add 14 to that date, which will probably give us another date for a president and first lady.

Step 6) JGI XCLFDCT EQFDV GDR JGI RDFI LVLJLDHR DR JGI NLHHIC ~and you'll surely know who to arrest!

The primary lady shares the killer's initials, or something like that.

So we need step 4 to be completed before we can continue.

Oh sorry, you're answer to step 2 is correct, but my 33 bookcases is not. It's not too big a part of the puzzle, actually just a hint, but it should help not hinder :rolleyes: . Consider it to be 29 bookcases. Sorry about that.

Edit: It may help to know that I was using 16 instead of 14 for whatever reason, so the final missing piece needed to have 2 added onto it. Obviously, to make things difficult, it couldn't have just worked anyway regardless of 14 or 16... <_<

Oh sorry, you're answer to step 2 is correct, but my 33 bookcases is not. It's not too big a part of the puzzle, actually just a hint, but it should help not hinder :rolleyes: . Consider it to be 29 bookcases. Sorry about that.

Edit: It may help to know that I was using 16 instead of 14 for whatever reason, so the final missing piece needed to have 2 added onto it. Obviously, to make things difficult, it couldn't have just worked anyway regardless of 14 or 16... <_<

when we enter the Library the bookcases start at Z? So our letter is actually "O"? But I wonder if this relates to title or author? I would think bookcases are sorted by author, but maybe the Senator was quirky.

the book was published between 1917 and 1965.

the book was published between 1917 and 1965.

when we enter the Library the bookcases start at Z? So our letter is actually "O"? But I wonder if this relates to title or author? I would think bookcases are sorted by author, but maybe the Senator was quirky.

I'm not sure why they have to start at Z. Let's say for the sake of argument they start at A. ;) Also, the Senator is quirky. What Senator isn't? :lol: I just wanted to add a layer of uncertainty, but since it's been so long: the books are arranged alphabetically by title, starting with A on the top of Shelf 1. B))

I'm not sure why they have to start at Z. Let's say for the sake of argument they start at A. ;) Also, the Senator is quirky. What Senator isn't? :lol: I just wanted to add a layer of uncertainty, but since it's been so long: the books are arranged alphabetically by title, starting with A on the top of Shelf 1. B))

that bookcase 1 contained "A", bookcase 2 "B", ect. But since the number of cases mattered I was thinking it had to start at Z in bookcase 1 (with maybe periodicals on the last 3).

B)) 16/33 and 14/29 are pretty close though. 16/33 = x/26, x=12.6 or 14/29 = x/26, x=12.6

So the title would start with L (JC you might want to double check me on this :D )

There's still step four to contend with.

Edited by Prof. Templeton

that bookcase 1 contained "A", bookcase 2 "B", ect. But since the number of cases mattered I was thinking it had to start at Z in bookcase 1 (with maybe periodicals on the last 3).
B)) 16/33 and 14/29 are pretty close though. 16/33 = x/26, x=12.6 or 14/29 = x/26, x=12.6

So the title would start with L (JC you might want to double check me on this :D )

Oh great! Now I'm the math nazi! <_<

Yes, "L" is the 12th letter of the alphabet! :D

Right on! The "number of total bookcases hint" was meant to direct you to this letter with which the book's title begins. Now, sorry to say, is the hardest part... it really requires using the various hints and working backwards in a way. You know the first letter though and that it requires step 1 to solve, and the strange addition/subtraction hint. That should do it. I should have made step 4 easier without hints, but this puzzle was difficult to gauge. And I underlined the alterations in the OP so remember to add '2' now ;)

We can't use the number of the presidents so I tried the term. No president has a name with an "L" in the 5th term, or working backwards the 51st. So I tried vice presidents and terms George Clinton was VP in the 5th term, "L" is the second letter of the last name, good start. Just focusing on the "-" in Itachi's hint because I figure if it works for one "-" it should work for them all and I get L??ULRGB? Nothing. So I try backwards with the VP and terms. Dan Quayle has a "L" second letter from the end, good start again. I get L??UXUNS? Hhmmmm. Next I try the actual number of the vice presidents again starting with George Clinton and I get L??ULMBA? O.K. Then I try backwards starting with Walter Mondale and get L??RAORN? So on these four attempts I come up with

L--ULRGB-

L--UXUNS-

L--ULMBA-

L--RAORN-

Anyone make anything out of those?

We can't use the number of the presidents so I tried the term. No president has a name with an "L" in the 5th term, or working backwards the 51st. So I tried vice presidents and terms George Clinton was VP in the 5th term, "L" is the second letter of the last name, good start. Just focusing on the "-" in Itachi's hint because I figure if it works for one "-" it should work for them all and I get L??ULRGB? Nothing. So I try backwards with the VP and terms. Dan Quayle has a "L" second letter from the end, good start again. I get L??UXUNS? Hhmmmm. Next I try the actual number of the vice presidents again starting with George Clinton and I get L??ULMBA? O.K. Then I try backwards starting with Walter Mondale and get L??RAORN? So on these four attempts I come up with

L--ULRGB-

L--UXUNS-

L--ULMBA-

L--RAORN-

Anyone make anything out of those?

You've got the right idea and the right data to use, you're just finding the difference in the wrong places ;) By working backward, I implied that you may attempt to think of the book it may be given the hint about 'the middle'

You've got the right idea and the right data to use, you're just finding the difference in the wrong places ;) By working backward, I implied that you may attempt to think of the book it may be given the hint about 'the middle'

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. "we both loved this one, just not the middle of the title (we'd always just gloss over it)" I'll think on it.