BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

A Freshmen at Murder U. was found burned to death in his dorm room. His neighbor was brought in for questioning. She said she saw 5 other students visit the guy before he died. She wasn't around during the time of death, so she wasn't a suspect. She saw an Engineering Major who had been making her own rockets, a Physics Major who was also a pyromaniac, a Psychology Major who had been practicing hypnosis by candle-light, a Chemistry Major who's room was littered with stolen Bunsen burners, and an Undecided who just happened to be a chain-smoker. She couldn't remember the order in which they came though. All five were ex-girlfriends and had motive to kill the guy. ;)

The guy's body was badly burned (obviously, since the burns were deadly), but the room was relatively free from any burns or singes. There was no smoke reported. And there were no strange smells lingering in the room once the body was found. He was found sitting on his desk chair by his computer. In the room was remnants of a broken rocket, a lighter, a Bunsen burner kicked under the bed, a watch, an ashtray full of cigarette butts, a Physics book, and a pair of glasses. All of which did not belong to the victim. The dorm sprinklers and smoke detectors never went off. And nobody around at the time heard a commotion from his room that night.

This being their first case, the campus staff was stumped. Can you figure out who did it and how?

I know, I know...

Yeah... I thought the same when I read my post :huh:

SHC - Spontaneous Human Combustion (but it only occurs in specific conditions)! I didn't read the previous posts so I'm probably way off. But I'm thinking maybe the hypnotist chick made him believe that he's experiencing those conditions!

Well done! This was what I was looking for. Mind over matter. ;)

Well done! This was what I was looking for. Mind over matter. ;)

What! That is totally weak. Spontaneous Human Combustion is complete BS, never happened, never will. And so what if he was hypnotized into thinking he was experiencing an imaginary phenomenon? I guess you could surmise that he would die, but he sure wouldn't be burned! If he thought he was on fire he'd have tried to cool himself or get wet. I say the poster who said he was hypnotized into burning himself with the bunsen burner (the least smelly of the accelerants mentioned) got the closest.

Not to mention that a crispy body would certainly have left a 'lingering strange smell'.

What! That is totally weak. Spontaneous Human Combustion is complete BS, never happened, never will. And so what if he was hypnotized into thinking he was experiencing an imaginary phenomenon? I guess you could surmise that he would die, but he sure wouldn't be burned! If he thought he was on fire he'd have tried to cool himself or get wet. I say the poster who said he was hypnotized into burning himself with the bunsen burner (the least smelly of the accelerants mentioned) got the closest.

Not to mention that a crispy body would certainly have left a 'lingering strange smell'.

The 'spontaneous combustion' part isn't the answer, it's the latter part of her answer involving hypnosis. Many people didn't take into account the OP's parameters including you with the Bunsen burner idea. It's never said that the victim was burned using fire. And if there was a fire that large of any kind, the sprinklers would have gone off and there would have been smoke.

As for hypnosis, if the mind believes something to be absolutely true, the body responds accordingly. It's a highly debatable issue, but it's been proven in cases to a lesser extent. And obviously proving cases this extreme would be illegal. So, even if they were done, they would be kept secret.

I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect but I coulve picked about 10 answers from the responses that made more sense then "mind over matter". That is not an answer to a riddle, not even a lateral thinking one. Technically you could say God sent down magical fireballs and it would be just as logical as mind over matter.

I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect but I coulve picked about 10 answers from the responses that made more sense then "mind over matter". That is not an answer to a riddle, not even a lateral thinking one. Technically you could say God sent down magical fireballs and it would be just as logical as mind over matter.

why so serious? :huh: it is indeed a lateral thinking puzzle, therefore pick the answer you like and move on. The answer "my answer" is not "mind over matter" or "spontaneous combustion", it is:

the psych. major hypnotized the guy into believing he was being burnt. he died and his skin showed signs of serious burns.

you don't have to get all mad about it. if you like the "God fireball" answer that's fine, but I think that the sprinklers would probably have gone off :rolleyes: you say that there are 10 better answers, that's fine, but I bet they don't fit the qualifications for an answer since they all involve lots of fire.

this one is more for the x-files than actual detectives, but you, like many, didn't consider all the parameters of the OP. It may be a paranormal phenomena (but not ruled out by science). I'm now done defending this. pick your favorite answer or come up with a new one. if it fits the parameters, which I don't think any others do yet, then kudos to you B))

this one is more for the x-files than actual detectives, but you, like many, didn't consider all the parameters of the OP. It may be a paranormal phenomena (but not ruled out by science). I'm now done defending this. pick your favorite answer or come up with a new one. if it fits the parameters, which I don't think any others do yet, then kudos to you B))

The X Files is my religion.

Fox Mulder is my God.

Paranormal is my territory! B))

:lol:

The truth is out there...

Off topic

I haven't seen the new The X Files movie! People say it sucks so I don't wanna watch it and spoil every good memory I have about solving The X Files riddles!

PM me with your opinion about the movie... cause I'm in dilemma - To watch or not to watch?! :huh:

Anyone can PM! ;)

I am not disappointed with Itachi-san's answer. I does fit all given parameters for this riddle. I have seen plenty of other lateral thinking riddles that have made less sense and have been more ambiguous or open-ended then this. With the qualifications in the OP, there can be few solutions that fit. He has given us one that does. Reviewing this thread I'd suspect people have enjoyed kicking it around it their heads. I have.

I am not disappointed with Itachi-san's answer. I does fit all given parameters for this riddle. I have seen plenty of other lateral thinking riddles that have made less sense and have been more ambiguous or open-ended then this. With the qualifications in the OP, there can be few solutions that fit. He has given us one that does. Reviewing this thread I'd suspect people have enjoyed kicking it around it their heads. I have.

I agree. I like it, it's creative ;P (and well-written, as are all of Itachi's puzzles). And his hints were definitely pointing the answers in the right direction. Those who came up with alternative answers can pat themselves on the back for their creative thinking too...I like to think puzzles are more than just finding the right answer...they're about the thinking process, and even if the answer isn't the one intended by the OP, the thinking ppl go to arrive at their answers is valuable and productive.

Anyways, had to throw in my two cents. Nice puzzle, Itachi...and be warned...Redrum Uers like their pranks ;P.

i have 4 answers

1. he committed suicide.

2. the neighbor asked the girls to kill him.

3. the neighbor lied and killed him.

4. the girls were so surprised when they came to kill because they found him dead already so they hid their killing weapons and other stuff so they would go to jail.

tell me which is the closest one to the real answer.