BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

So I'm curious as to what all of your views on the following topics are:

Ghosts, Spirits, demons: do they exist?

Psychic phenomena (Empaths, Psychics, Telepaths, etc)

Aliens....are they out there?

Ghosts, spirits = obviously not

Psychic phenomena = I highly highly highly doubt it, though the brain does give off "waves" I think, not sure what can be gained from them. We can't scientifically regard it until we have furthered our understanding of the brain and how it works, though I don't think that anything "psychic" is remotely possible. It's possible for theta waves and other brain waves to give information (which is how an EEG works) about the brain, such as activity of the thought areas, but not what's actually being thought, because that deals with matter-based activities such as electrical and chemical signals, whose activities aren't encoded into any waves they give off, or at least I don't think so. And then our own brains would have to be able to (1) receive those info-waves and (2) somehow decipher them

Aliens = this isn't "paranormal". Of course there is life on other planets, with a universe at our size, it's no doubt. Whether any have landed on Earth, well that's doubtful. And the "little green man" concept is too. Probably 99% of alien life forms are bacteria of some sort or still in the unicellular stage of evolution, though there's probably many other planets with much more evolved life such as Earth, perhaps more so. We're not special :D We think it's a big unexplainable coincidence that we HAPPEN to live on a planet that can support life, with all the perfect things that need to come together... but, uh, duh! Of course we live on a planet that can support life, because we're alive! lol :rolleyes: It's no coincidence. By definition, we are alive and thinking about these things, so we must be on a planet that can (and does) support life

There are many such planets in the universe, and many of them undoubtably support thriving ecosystems and varied climates. Their systems of life may also be incredibly different from our own

edit: Just saying, that in my book, there is no such thing as 'real' paranormal, because as soon as something 'paranatural' becomes real, it's now 'natural'

Edited by unreality

Ghosts, Spirits, demons: do they exist?

Psychic phenomena (Empaths, Psychics, Telepaths, etc)

No, and no.

Aliens....are they out there?

Possibly, considering just how large the universe is. Though we do have to take into account the fact that the universe is so incredibly old, the chance of life being anywhere around how advanced we are(they might simply be single celled organisms, or fly spaceships), if they were even to exist. In fact, the likeliness of there being another species in any way similar to humans, especially one that has consciousness, is practically zero.

Also, with aliens, it's all relative. We're aliens too, at least to a being from another planet(or whatever they call them). :P

Psychic phenomena = I highly highly highly doubt it, though the brain does give off "waves" I think, not sure what can be gained from them. We can't scientifically regard it until we have furthered our understanding of the brain and how it works, though I don't think that anything "psychic" is remotely possible. It's possible for theta waves and other brain waves to give information (which is how an EEG works) about the brain, such as activity of the thought areas, but not what's actually being thought, because that deals with matter-based activities such as electrical and chemical signals, whose activities aren't encoded into any waves they give off, or at least I don't think so. And then our own brains would have to be able to (1) receive those info-waves and (2) somehow decipher them

Yeah, maybe if we could use all 100% of our brain.

There are many such planets in the universe, and many of them undoubtably support thriving ecosystems and varied climates. Their systems of life may also be incredibly different from our own

Of course they'd be different, well, at least the more complex organisms would. There probably wouldn't even be creatures with consciousness.

Ghosts - total bull. And I say that *completely* unbiasedly. :P

Physics - probably bull too, but it's more plausible than ghosts. I suppose there have been those police stories, but TV always lies about things.

Aliens - totally out there. Most likely not in the forms that TV/book/blah make them out to be, but yeah, totally exist. If they are, I hope they aren't smarter than us. Random chance of birth or not, Go Team Human!

Izzy: Physics is bull? Hehe :P I don't like my Physics class much either ;D

Frost: define consciousness :P I think there's definitely other conscious creatures out there. Even my dog is conscious. Consciousness, society, morals, etc are not that big of a deal ;D What shows more is something like agriculture or structured language or something. I'm sure there's many other civilizations out there

i think physics is Mostly plausible. not really sure about Big Bang and stuff. I haven't dismissed the idea of aliens: so many planets out there: why should we earthlings be the only dudes alive??

oh i like physics. my favourite subject after maths. not keen on the way my teacher teaches it though this year.

Edited by lemonymelon

Plausible points by all of you. However what about the other 90% we don't use. Isn't it possible for that other 90% to allow us the ability to perceive what is now considered to be unreal and incomprehensible?

Ghosts and spirits and the like I agree are bogus.

As for mind-powers though, I'm on the Fringe... pun intended (I started watching that show because JJ Abrams is involved - one of the LOST creators) It's all about para-normal stuff, like X-Files was. It's not really a great show so far, but it's somewhat entertaining.

Anyway, back on topic, perhaps we haven't evolved to these para-normal points or perhaps a select few people have. Just think about our and every other species' senses. They came about through evolution. It's purely hypothetical, but I'm open to believe that we could evolve to have telekinetic, telepathic, etc... senses. I doubt any exist in the present though. And I don't believe any that have been made public are truth, like those rediculous shows about fools talking to ghosts.

Aliens 100% exist. Aliens most-likely exist in our galaxy, let alone the WHOLE universe. Like unreality said, there are so many possibilities and so many planets with life capacity similar to Earth that it is inevitable. The question would be at what stage is that life's evolution? Another question I've always thought about is how likely the evolution of life on other planets would nearly mimic our evolution? If we met a species that had similar environmental conditions and a nearly identical birth of existence, then would they look and be similar to us? The permutations are endless, but in the case of a similar environment I wonder just how different evolution can get, or how similar it could be.

The thing about paranormal is that... well... we just can't tell! I mean... how do we KNOW that there arn't ghosts... How do we KNOW there arn't phycics...

anyway... i think that ghosts are not real... Man;y because of Natural physics...

as for phycics... I think that it is possible... i mean... we only use 10% of our brain... so if we use 50%... could we be able to interpret others brainwaves?

Aliens... ya... that is probably the most likely... The funny thing is... in the movies the aliens are all more technologically advanced... more likely we would be more advanced...

My belief's are differnt to all yours..

I believe there are Ghost like creaters on the earth.

I dont believe there are aliens..

I believe that psychics ( telling the future, taking to ghosts etc) are fake.

Edit:Spelling/Content

Edited by taliesin

Ghosts and spirits and the like I agree are bogus.

As for mind-powers though, I'm on the Fringe... pun intended (I started watching that show because JJ Abrams is involved - one of the LOST creators) It's all about para-normal stuff, like X-Files was. It's not really a great show so far, but it's somewhat entertaining.

Anyway, back on topic, perhaps we haven't evolved to these para-normal points or perhaps a select few people have. Just think about our and every other species' senses. They came about through evolution. It's purely hypothetical, but I'm open to believe that we could evolve to have telekinetic, telepathic, etc... senses. I doubt any exist in the present though. And I don't believe any that have been made public are truth, like those rediculous shows about fools talking to ghosts.

Aliens 100% exist. Aliens most-likely exist in our galaxy, let alone the WHOLE universe. Like unreality said, there are so many possibilities and so many planets with life capacity similar to Earth that it is inevitable. The question would be at what stage is that life's evolution? Another question I've always thought about is how likely the evolution of life on other planets would nearly mimic our evolution? If we met a species that had similar environmental conditions and a nearly identical birth of existence, then would they look and be similar to us? The permutations are endless, but in the case of a similar environment I wonder just how different evolution can get, or how similar it could be.

Is it also a possibility that 'aliens' (i don't like that word :P ) as such have existed but then have become extinct? All before life was even on earth?

Taliesin: How come you believe in Ghosts?

Edited by Joe's Student

Well, my thinking, of course, goes along with what I know about the Creator of the universe.

- I think aliens most likely do exist - there is even some speculation about this in the Bible (a group called the Nephilim mentioned in Genesis 6:4) If God created the universe and everything in it...including us, then why not others? Maybe he's having better luck getting the other species to acknowledge him! :D

- I'm not exactly sure how to answer about ghosts. The Bible is very clear that there are spirits dwelling among us (angels and demons) and speaks many times of persons being visited by angels. But as far as a human spirit getting trapped in the physical world...I don't believe that at all.

- Psychics are mostly a huge hoax. I say mostly because Scripture talks about prophets - both of God and false prophets. I absolutely believe in prophesy, but I do not believe that most of todays "psychics" are prophets...just phonies who have honed their skills of perception and intuition. On the other hand, the Bible also speaks of "seers" who practice a form of witchcraft, their ability to prophesy is given through a spirit of evil.

Edit: and I also believe in telekenisis and other mind powers as a possibility - nothing to back that up really, just seems highly probable.

Edited by puzzlegirl

Well, my thinking, of course, goes along with what I know about the Creator of the universe.

- I think aliens most likely do exist - there is even some speculation about this in the Bible (a group called the Nephilim mentioned in Genesis 6:4) If God created the universe and everything in it...including us, then why not others? Maybe he's having better luck getting the other species to acknowledge him! :D

I think the same about the Flying Spaghetti Monster... somewhere, out there in vast and infinite space, is a planet made of Pasta where the great Meatball Priests hold massive venganza worship rituals for Him ;D Edit: you know I'm just kidding :P Or am I...

But as far as a human spirit getting trapped in the physical world...I don't believe that at all.

I agree 100% :D

- Psychics are mostly a huge hoax.

I agree

I say mostly because Scripture talks about prophets - both of God and false prophets. I absolutely believe in prophesy, but I do not believe that most of todays "psychics" are prophets...just phonies who have honed their skills of perception and intuition. On the other hand, the Bible also speaks of "seers" who practice a form of witchcraft, their ability to prophesy is given through a spirit of evil.

just curious, how does that work? How can someone see the future if we have free will? Does their future vision definitely come true or is it a possible future, ie, and viewing the future changes the outcome (like in the movie Next :P)

Edit: and I also believe in telekenisis and other mind powers as a possibility - nothing to back that up really, just seems highly probable.

Well in your bible it says that Moses parted an ocean, so I would assume telekinesis comes with the package :P At least hydrokinesis ;D (Jesus walking on water, and Ishmael too, or whatever his name was)

Edited by unreality

as for phycics... I think that it is possible... i mean... we only use 10% of our brain... so if we use 50%... could we be able to interpret others brainwaves?

I suppose since I started this thread I should probably answer the questions at hand too.

Ghosts: haven't seen one, know people who claim to have, won't disbelieve nor believe. However I do think that everything has an energy field of some sort.

Aliens: Probably, the universe is way to vast for one small planet to harbor the only intelligent life form. In fact I'm sure there are species out there that consider us to be dumb and insignificant as well.

Psychics: I know people that claim to be, I'm highly skeptical though. I mean if someone is psychic, shouldn't they be able to predict the future. Almost reminds me of this Nicolas Cage movie where he can see 10 seconds into the future. Which is kinda cool cause you can check all the possible outcomes of a situation.

Telekinesis: Anyone who is telekinetic raise my hand please :D

Empaths (Being able to sense the emotions of everyone around you, mainly those that are hidden deeply): Gotta go with yes on this one, mainly because I am one. Some may just say I'm good at reading people. But I say it's more. Quite often I've gotten feelings of some one close to me, who is miles away, feeling in distress, upset, or angry. I call or text asking what's wrong, and they usually just had something happen withing and hours happen to them. Also I use it when helping my friends, to get to the root of what ever their issue at hand is. I definitely don't expect any of you to believe this but it's what I believe, as do some around me :D

Hypersensitives (Increased intuition, Increased perceptions of everything around them): to an extent. Some people are just paranoid so they are more aware of what's going on around them. Others just over exaggerate. However one sense of intuition I won't disprove is a mother's intuition. Can't explain it but my mom and a few of my friend's moms are all intuitive when it comes to their children. I had an experience where I was driving home at 3 in the morning to surprise my parent's (I was living b=about 3 hours away from home at the time and wasn't due home for another 2 days.) And randomly received a phone call from my mom telling me to take an alternate route home. For those who live in So Cali, we call them truck routes. As I merged on to the truck route, I looked to my left at the freeway and watched a car spin out of control hit another car and roll right into my original path of travel.

*waits for UR to tear this apart :P*

Why would I tear it apart? The only thing that's BS is "ghosts" or "spirits". Aliens definitely exist, and IF there is "psychics" (doubtful, lol), 99% are fonies anyway.

But for the last two things you described, "sensing emotions" and "mother's intuition", I'm with you. I don't think "sensing other people's emotions" is some sort of paranormal skill though lol, it's just being perceptive, aware, and also worrying about people close to you and stuff. With luck too :P Mother's intuition is a big one, though. Also when a mother's child is in danger, she becomes Superwoman ;D But this isn't unique to humans nor is it some sort of paranormal ability, it's an evolutionary aspect to protect one's offspring

Why would I tear it apart? The only thing that's BS is "ghosts" or "spirits". Aliens definitely exist, and IF there is "psychics" (doubtful, lol), 99% are fonies anyway.

But for the last two things you described, "sensing emotions" and "mother's intuition", I'm with you. I don't think "sensing other people's emotions" is some sort of paranormal skill though lol, it's just being perceptive, aware, and also worrying about people close to you and stuff. With luck too :P Mother's intuition is a big one, though. Also when a mother's child is in danger, she becomes Superwoman ;D But this isn't unique to humans nor is it some sort of paranormal ability, it's an evolutionary aspect to protect one's offspring

I def agree about the 99% phony. I mean seriously, why do psychics have to ask for your name? That's always amused me.

I def agree about the 99% phony. I mean seriously, why do psychics have to ask for your name? That's always amused me.

A name tells alot about a person if you know what to look for. Thats just what they do...

A name tells alot about a person if you know what to look for. Thats just what they do...

depends on the person. Sometimes people's nicknames tell more about them than their actual name. Ad even then that's not a psychic perspective, its more psychologically analyzing

- I'm not exactly sure how to answer about ghosts. The Bible is very clear that there are spirits dwelling among us (angels and demons) and speaks many times of persons being visited by angels. But as far as a human spirit getting trapped in the physical world...I don't believe that at all.

- Psychics are mostly a huge hoax. I say mostly because Scripture talks about prophets - both of God and false prophets. I absolutely believe in prophesy, but I do not believe that most of todays "psychics" are prophets...just phonies who have honed their skills of perception and intuition. On the other hand, the Bible also speaks of "seers" who practice a form of witchcraft, their ability to prophesy is given through a spirit of evil.

I agree with most of what is here PuzzleGirl and for simular reasons. Though my understanding was that Nephilim were on the earth, therefore not Aliens. So dont agree with that.