BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

Mage Duel!

Simple. Non-Time Consuming. Quick. Fun :D

The Goal: Be the last mage standing!

The Gameplay: the game moves in 'rounds'. In a round, each mage casts a bunch of spells at once, in an epic blur of incantations, curses, hexes and jinxes that dominate the duel chamber with blasting lights and violent sounds.

During the round sometime, each mage must PM me who they are casting each spell on for that round (your potent magical mastery means you can cast all the spells in each round).

The Spells:

* Freeze - paralyzes a mage for the next round only, disabling him/her from casting any spells. Doesn't affect the current round. However, if more than one mage freezes someone, the spells cancel out and no freeze occurs. You CAN freeze yourself if you think that someone else will be freezing you (and nobody else), but of course this can backfire if you end up being the only person freezing yourself :D

* Shield - the Shield is a field of pure energy that surrounds and protects you. Each mage starts with 5 Shield Points, and each round they can cast Shield on another player (not themselves) to add 1 Shield Point to that player's defense. 10 Shield Points is the maximum number of Shield Points you can have

* Curse - remove 1 Shield Point from someone. Shield and Curse are cofluxes, which means that if you choose to not cast Shield, you cannot cast Curse either, and vice versa. The Shield/Curse targets MUST be different, you cannot cast them both on the same person. 0 Shield Points is the minimum number of Shield Points you can have

* Coup de Grace - after all spells (other than Coup de Grace spells) have taken effect, if someone has 0 Shield Points and the Coup de Grace spell is cast on them, they die. Otherwise, the Coup de Grace has no effect

* Flummox - causes someone to be incredibly confused, and mix up their spell targets... 1/3 to mix up Freeze and Shield, 1/3 to mix up Curse and Shield, and 1/3 to mix up Flummox and Curse. The Flummox only has a 1/4 chance of success. Of those that do succeed in the round, the Flummox of the earliest person on the list will take effect first, then the next, and so on

* Vacuum - half the time, it sucks up all the spells cast BY the target. The other half of the time, it sucks up all the spells cast ON the target. The Vacuum only has a 1/8 chance of success. Of those that do succeed in the round, the Vacuum of the earliest person on the list will take effect first, then the next, and so on, just like Flummox

* Spell of Choice - for this spell, you choose from your diverse arsenal of magic: [None of these spells have specific targets, they affect the group as a whole]

** Hexquake - everyone either loses 1 Shield Point (70%) or gains 1 (30%), including yourself

** Magelore - unlocks a new Spell of Choice for everyone to use

** Aqua Vida - gives 2 Shield Points to the mage with the least amount of SP, if there are multiple mages of that amount then the target is chosen randomly from those people

** Magnetic Surge - all Flummoxes move up by 4%. Ie, originally they have a 25% chance. For each Magnetic Surge cast in the round, however, the chance increases by 4%. This value is totaled before the Flummoxes are rolled

** Quid Pro Quo I - everyone that cast Shield on you during the round gains 1 Shield Point themselves

** Quid Pro Quo II - everyone that cast Curse on you during the round loses 1 Shield Point themselves

Note: Shield is the only spell you cannot cast on yourself

The Final Duel: When it gets down to 2 people, rules change. Many spells are no longer castable and rules change. We'll see when it gets to that point :D

Duel Master: Unreality

1) Anyone wanna sign up? :P

• Answers 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

*Takes a deep breath*

Sorry for screaming. :D

I'm back in now :P

Edit - Sorry CL, you're still dead :P

Well, I can't say I'm thrilled by this....it wasn't clear I was only a temporary replacement. I didn't think that was what I was volunteering for. In that case, I would have let panther lose his 2 SP ;)

dawh: oh yeah, thanks :blush:

-1 from all

1) Dawh - 9

2) CL - 5

3) DMS - 6

Panther and CL: well despite Panther's claim, I got a PM from CL for the next moves, and none from Panther :lol: So I'll use CL's moves from now (and why are you 'not thrilled', CL? You volunteered yourself when you noticed Panther was inactive, we never 'agreed' on anything. And you were dead before! Jesus. I can never please anyone in these games ;D - and you should've played as if you were actually that person [which you did do, thanks!] not as a temporary person just trying to get revenge on previous alliance betrayals which is what you implied you would've done in post 156. I'm not trying to be a bad host, but it's darned hard when people keep dropping out, getting replaced, and then coming back on. Hopefully you can understand that Panther deserves his spot back, as he's made it this far - provided he can keep it this time of course. If he's inactive for round 16, you'll get his spot, permanently, no matter what. How's that? :P)

anyway...

~~~

Round Fifteen

~~~

Dawh

X: Panther

Y_Y: DMS

Z: dawh

Cherry Lane

X: DMS

Y_Z: Cherry Lane

Z: Cherry Lane

DMS

X: Dawh

Y_Z: DMS

Z: DMS

Dawh +1, Dawh -1 : net 0

CL/Panther +2, CL/Panther -0 : net +2

DMS +4, DMS -1 : net +3

1) Dawh - 9

2) CL - 7

3) DMS - 9

-1 from all

1) Dawh - 8

2) CL - 6

3) DMS - 8

Round 16 up next! And sorry for earlier misunderstandings, people :(

1) Dawh - 8

2) Panther - 6

3) DMS - 8

Edited by unreality

Dawh

Y_Y: DMS

Dawh +1, Dawh -1 : net 0

CL/Panther +2, CL/Panther -0 : net +2

DMS +4, DMS -1 : net +3

Not trying to be picky here (you've done a tremendous job so far, B)) ) but I don't quite see these two items in bold agreeing with each other. :P

~~~

Round Sixteen

~~~

Dawh

Y_X: Panther

Panther

X - Dawh

Y_Z - Panther

Z - Panther

DMS

Y_Y: Panther

Dawh +1, Dawh -3 : net -2

Panther +4, Panther -0 : net +4

DMS +1, DMS -1 : net 0

1) Dawh - 6

2) Panther - 9

3) DMS - 8

-1 from all:

1) Dawh - 5

2) Panther - 8

3) DMS - 7

Round 17 up next! :o Good luck, everyone

~~~

Round Seventeen

~~~

Dawh

Y_Z: dawh

Panther

X - Dawh

Y_X - Panther

Z - Panther

DMS

Dawh +2, -5 : net -3

Panther +1, -1 : net 0

DMS +1, -0 : net +1

1) Dawh - 2

2) Panther - 8

3) DMS - 8

-1 from all

1) Dawh - 1

2) Panther - 7

3) DMS - 7

Good luck in Round 18! Dawh's gonna need it :P

Edited by unreality

Ooh good play, Dawh :P And very true about the disadvantage... when it gets down to 2 people, obviously you will X the other person and Z yourself, the question is what to do with your Y. Even with a SP difference, either person could win, but having a higher SP going into the 2-person endgame is crucial as well :D The game gets much simpler to analyze when it hits 2 people, thus your main strategy for the end of the game should be happening now, when there are three people ;D

~~~

Round Eighteen

~~~

Dawh

Z: Panther

Panther

X - Dawh

Y_X - Panther

Z - Panther

DMS

(DMS should be back after this... he predicted he'd be gone around turns 15-17 and pre-sent his moves but it turned out to be 15-18, so I'm using his same move from rounds 16 & 17. This works out perfectly because it's about 3:00ish, which is the usual time for updates during the weekday (and tomorrow starts the week))

so...

Dawh +0, -9 : net -9 :lol: Sorry Dawh ;D

Panther +2, -0 : net +2

DMS +1, -1 : net 0

1) Dawh - 0

2) Panther - 9

3) DMS - 7

-1 from all

1) Dawh - 0

2) Panther - 8

3) DMS - 6

Goodbye Dawh :( It was a fun game! Cya round the Den ;D

1) Panther - 8

2) DMS - 6

The two above players have been surviving the game since the beginning [other than Panther being controlled by CL for two turns] ... now it's come down to the final two!!! :o Who will emerge victorious, and who will be left behind with the others that have fallen in this intense Mage Duel?

Only rounds nineteen and on shall decide! :) The Round Nineteen results will come in about 24 hours ;D

Actually I have the feeling that if DMS weren't gone, he knew that Dawh was going to die no matter what, so in knowing that the game was turning individual, he would've obviously done this:

DMS

Y_Z: DMS

rather than supporting Panther's Y which was going to kill Dawh no matter what.

Thus DMS is +2, -1 with a net of +1, and the stats going into round nineteen:

1) Panther - 8

2) DMS - 7

Who will win? Can Panther's slight advantage ensure him the victory? I don't think so. Strategy will be needed ;D

Obviously (unless someone tries some radical strategy) you will X the opponent and Z yourself. This causes a net 0 balance - which is where the Y comes in. Basically each round boils down to whether to Y_X yourself or Y_Z yourself.

Results, not counting the -1 subtraction afterwards:

Person A Y_X

Person B Y_X

Both lose 1 (with subtraction: -2 each)

Person A Y_X

Person B Y_Z

net 0 (with subtraction: -1 each)

Person A Y_Z

Person B Y_Z

both gain 1 (with subtraction: ±0 each)

I agree, both people lose/gain the same amount in every scenario. The only way is if someone either does Y_Y to themselves (ie, nullifying their Y) or to the other person (making the other person's Y_Y quadruple) while the other person does not. If Panther does Y_X on himself for the rest of the game he has the game in the bag

Well it looks like I was right about the best strategy happening when there are three people :P

Because Panther and DMS are so close, I think we should share the victory, though Panther getting a bigger slice of course :D What do you think?

Good job to everyone that played!!! It was a fun little experiment ;D

Personally i think thats messed up. I'm the one who started the whole alliance after round 2 with me panther frost and cl which got us all in the final four. Those i really wanted going to work with frost and kill panther, but oh well it was fun.

congrats panther.

edit: i just thought of something could you just role using a persons shield over total shields left to find his chance of winning.

Edited by dms172