BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

Mage Duel!

Simple. Non-Time Consuming. Quick. Fun :D

The Goal: Be the last mage standing!

The Gameplay: the game moves in 'rounds'. In a round, each mage casts a bunch of spells at once, in an epic blur of incantations, curses, hexes and jinxes that dominate the duel chamber with blasting lights and violent sounds.

During the round sometime, each mage must PM me who they are casting each spell on for that round (your potent magical mastery means you can cast all the spells in each round).

The Spells:

* Freeze - paralyzes a mage for the next round only, disabling him/her from casting any spells. Doesn't affect the current round. However, if more than one mage freezes someone, the spells cancel out and no freeze occurs. You CAN freeze yourself if you think that someone else will be freezing you (and nobody else), but of course this can backfire if you end up being the only person freezing yourself :D

* Shield - the Shield is a field of pure energy that surrounds and protects you. Each mage starts with 5 Shield Points, and each round they can cast Shield on another player (not themselves) to add 1 Shield Point to that player's defense. 10 Shield Points is the maximum number of Shield Points you can have

* Curse - remove 1 Shield Point from someone. Shield and Curse are cofluxes, which means that if you choose to not cast Shield, you cannot cast Curse either, and vice versa. The Shield/Curse targets MUST be different, you cannot cast them both on the same person. 0 Shield Points is the minimum number of Shield Points you can have

* Coup de Grace - after all spells (other than Coup de Grace spells) have taken effect, if someone has 0 Shield Points and the Coup de Grace spell is cast on them, they die. Otherwise, the Coup de Grace has no effect

* Flummox - causes someone to be incredibly confused, and mix up their spell targets... 1/3 to mix up Freeze and Shield, 1/3 to mix up Curse and Shield, and 1/3 to mix up Flummox and Curse. The Flummox only has a 1/4 chance of success. Of those that do succeed in the round, the Flummox of the earliest person on the list will take effect first, then the next, and so on

* Vacuum - half the time, it sucks up all the spells cast BY the target. The other half of the time, it sucks up all the spells cast ON the target. The Vacuum only has a 1/8 chance of success. Of those that do succeed in the round, the Vacuum of the earliest person on the list will take effect first, then the next, and so on, just like Flummox

* Spell of Choice - for this spell, you choose from your diverse arsenal of magic: [None of these spells have specific targets, they affect the group as a whole]

** Hexquake - everyone either loses 1 Shield Point (70%) or gains 1 (30%), including yourself

** Magelore - unlocks a new Spell of Choice for everyone to use

** Aqua Vida - gives 2 Shield Points to the mage with the least amount of SP, if there are multiple mages of that amount then the target is chosen randomly from those people

** Magnetic Surge - all Flummoxes move up by 4%. Ie, originally they have a 25% chance. For each Magnetic Surge cast in the round, however, the chance increases by 4%. This value is totaled before the Flummoxes are rolled

** Quid Pro Quo I - everyone that cast Shield on you during the round gains 1 Shield Point themselves

** Quid Pro Quo II - everyone that cast Curse on you during the round loses 1 Shield Point themselves

Note: Shield is the only spell you cannot cast on yourself

The Final Duel: When it gets down to 2 people, rules change. Many spells are no longer castable and rules change. We'll see when it gets to that point :D

Duel Master: Unreality

1) Anyone wanna sign up? :P

• Answers 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

!^%$(&(+*&*%^$&_()_+)_*rvygr$%*jo&*^ew^£"!k<(un^r$dc"$&n&n %&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO UNFAIR! FROZEN AGAIN! LOL :lol::D

Edit - Do you folks think I should change my pic back?

Edited by Panther

I'm about 2-3 hours over :o Oops... I guess I was waiting for Frozen, but he still hasn't PMed, so just three people are casting spells today :P Round Nine summary coming soon ;D

Frozen's gone camping, so he's gone for the weekend.

Ah that makes sense... why didn't he tell me? I could've done something about it. That actually works out based on what happens in Round Nine, you'll see ;D

~~~

Round Nine

~~~

Frost

Freeze - Frozen

Shield - DMS

Curse - Frozen

Coup de Grace - Frozen

Flummox - Dawh

Vacuum - Dawh

Aqua Vida

Frozen

[No PM]

Dawh

Freeze: CL

Shield: FIF

Curse: CL

Coup de Grace: PG

Flummox: DMS

Vacuum: Frost

Spell of Choice: QPQ II

DMS

* Freeze - [Nobody]

* Shield - Frost

* Curse - FIF

* Coup de Grace - PG

* Flummox -Dawh

* Vacuum - Dawh

* Aqua Excessum

With 3/7 paralyzed and one not PMing, Round Nine only consists of three people's spells! ;D

* No Vacuums succeed (not surprisingly :P)

* Only Dawh's Flummox worked, and he Flummoxes DMS's Freeze and Shield

* For Freezes, Frozen and Cherry Lane are paralyzed next round, though DMS was Flummoxed by Dawh and thus Freezes Frost while Shielding nobody. So Frost, Frozen and CL are paralyzed for next round

* Shields and Curses:

1) Frost - 5

2) Frozen in Fire - 1

3) CL - 6

4) PG - 1

5) Panther - 7

6) Dawh - 4

7) DMS - 7

Nobody cursed Dawh, so his QPQ II has no effect

Next, the deadly combination of Aqua Vida and Aqua Excessum causes the person with the least amount of Shield Points to lose 2! Those in question are either FIF or PG. I'll roll an 8-sided die to determine which one is affected, odd for PG and even for FIF. I rolled a 1, so PG is subtracted 2, thus she's at the lower limit, which is 0:

1) Frost - 5

2) Frozen in Fire - 1

3) CL - 6

4) PG - 0

5) Panther - 7

6) Dawh - 4

7) DMS - 7

Dawh and DMS Coup de Graced PG, so she is dead and out of the game :(

1) Frost - 5

2) Frozen in Fire - 1

3) CL - 6

4) PG - DEAD

5) Panther - 7

6) Dawh - 4

7) DMS - 7

CL, Frost and Frozen are paralyzed for next round, so adding the double asterisks for them:

1) Frost - 5 **

2) Frozen in Fire - 1 **

3) CL - 6 **

4) Panther - 7

5) Dawh - 4

6) DMS - 7

Wow! We've reached the point where half of the players are paralyzed, and this point I decided from the very beginning to be the turning point for the spell 'Freeze'. From now on, Freeze only takes effect if exactly three players use it on the same person, and if only two use it on the same person, it has a 1/3 chance of success.

Sorry Puzzlegirl! Despite your low health, you narrowly escaped death a few times and perservered pretty far :P

Next round is Round Ten! Panther, Dawh and DMS should have their PMs in to me in roughly 20 hours ;D Though if some are late, I will wait up until 24 hours from now

Edited by unreality

Out of curiosity, DMS didn't freeze anyone, then I switched his shield and freeze, so he wasn't shielding anyone. Would that cause the Shield/Curse coflux to fail? Because as it is, it looks like his curse spell still took effect. :unsure:

DMS, I switched your targets with Flummox. :P

Edited by dawh

Out of curiosity, DMS didn't freeze anyone, then I switched his shield and freeze, so he wasn't shielding anyone. Would that cause the Shield/Curse coflux to fail? Because as it is, it looks like his curse spell still took effect. :unsure:

Coflux only applies if they initially select to Curse someone without Shielding, or vice versa. All throughout the game, due to Flummoxes (like in this case) or Vacuums or some other effect, people have had Shields take effect without Curses, and vice versa

DMS: yes Dawh answered your question :P Your Shield on Frost got switched with your Freeze on nobody

Edited by unreality

~~~

Round Ten

~~~

Panther

Freeze - Dawh

Shield - dms172

Curse - FIF

Coup de Grace - FIF

RODB

Dawh

Freeze: Panther

Shield: FIF

Curse: CL

Coup de Grace: Frost

Flummox: Frost

Vacuum: Dawh

Spell of Choice: Vacuum Warp (70% spells cast on me)

DMS

* Freeze - Dawh

* Shield - Frost

* Curse - FIF

* Coup de Grace - FIF

* Flummox -Dawh

* Vacuum - Dawh

* RODB

Round Ten coming earlier than usual, but I have the time and everyone PMed :D This just means you guys get 25 hours until Round Eleven PMs

* Surprisingly, Dawh's Vacuum succeeded! And he Vacuumed himself! And he cast Vacuum Warp on himself! Lol it may sound rigged but his Vacuum actually did succeed, I didn't even see the other stuff until afterwards. This will be interesting. I rolled the d100 but unfortunately got a 76, which is part of the section where he Vacuums up spells cast BY him. His Vacuum Warp came very close to uber-defending himself, unfortunately it didn't work. So the rest of the spells cast by Dawh fail

* Flummoxes don't matter because Panther didn't Flummox anybody and DMS Flummoxed Dawh, who can't cast any spells anyway

* Panther and DMS both cast Freeze on Dawh, however because it was only two people, there was only a 1/3 chance of paralyzing Dawh next turn, and it failed. So NOBODY is paralyzed for Round Eleven :D

* After Shields and Curses:

1) Frost - 6

2) Frozen in Fire - 0

3) CL - 6

4) Panther - 7

5) Dawh - 4

6) DMS - 8

* Rain of Dual Bombardment has no effect in THIS round because no Hexquakes were cast, however, both Panther and DMS cast RoDB, thus Round Eleven is a Double Round!!! Coming back to that in a second

* Both Panther and DMS Coup de Graced FIF. Sorry Frozen! :(

1) Frost - 6

2) Frozen in Fire - DEAD

3) CL - 6

4) Panther - 7

5) Dawh - 4

6) DMS - 8

There are only five players left for Round Eleven! And better yet, Round Eleven is a double round! :P In the Double Round, all Curses take away 2 Shield Points instead of one, and Coup de Grace has a 50% chance of success on people with 1 SP in addition to the usual 100% chance of success on people with 0 SP. In the Round-Five-Double-Round, it had an effect on Freeze as well, but because the rules for Freeze have changed, I'm adding a different effect to the Round-Eleven-Double-Round: everyone can cast TWO Spells of Choice! This is the current SoC list:

* Spell of Choice - for this spell, you choose from your diverse arsenal of magic: [None of these spells have specific targets, they affect the group as a whole]

** Hexquake - everyone either loses 1 Shield Point (70%) or gains 1 (30%), including yourself

** Aqua Vida - gives 2 Shield Points to the mage with the least amount of SP, if there are multiple mages of that amount then the target is chosen randomly from those people

** Magnetic Surge - all Flummoxes move up by 4%. Ie, originally they have a 25% chance. For each Magnetic Surge cast in the round, however, the chance increases by 4%. This value is totaled before the Flummoxes are rolled

** Quid Pro Quo I - everyone that cast Shield on you during the round gains 1 Shield Point themselves

** Quid Pro Quo II - everyone that cast Curse on you during the round loses 1 Shield Point themselves

** Ascension - [takes effect before anything else] during the round that you used it in, your rank is as if it subtracted 5. For example, the 5th person becomes 5-5 = rank 0. The 3rd person becomes 3-5 = -2. This gives the upper hand in Vacuums and Flummoxes

** Assassin Bolt - your Coup de Grace spell is amplified to affect not just the person you selected but the person above and below them, ignoring Vacuums on either of the three targets or on you. This takes affect no matter what, even if you are one of the adjacent victims (remember that Coup de Grace only succeeds if someone's SP is 0, and Assassin Bolt just triples the Coup de Graces you get and makes them unstoppable)

** Vacuum Warp - [takes effect after Ascension, before Vacuums] this spell will affect the Vacuum-type chance. Normally it's 1/2 and 1/2 whether the Vacuum will absorb all spells cast ON the person or all spells cast BY the person. When you cast Vacuum Warp, you change the chances to 70% & 30%, weighted in either direction, which you choose (for example, "Vacuum Warp - 70% spells cast on me, 30% spells cast by me")

** Aqua Excessum - this spell poisons the reviving water of the Aqua Vida spell, causing it to take away 2 Shield Points from the lowest instead of giving 2 SPs. Aqua Excessum obviously has no effect if Aqua Vida is not cast in the same round

** Rain of Dual Bombardment - harness of the power of weather to bring a ripple of devastating energy into the Duel Chamber! Not only does the Rain of Dual Bombardment bring about a Double Round the next round IF and only if EXACTLY TWO Dual Bombardment spells are cast, regardless of that, the Rain morphs the power of the other natural disaster spell: Hexquakes. The Rain allows you to transfer up to 5% of one the chances to the other, and multiple people using Rain all combine their effects on Hexquake. The Rain of Dual Bombardment may cause other random, adverse changes on the Hexquake spell as well

** Spellguard - also known as the Antiflummox, this spell forges a barrier of force that surrounds and protects your spells from confusion and switching. In the round that you cast Spellguard, all Flummoxes used against you fail. Spellguard takes effect AFTER Vacuums

Good luck in Round Eleven! :D The roster: (nobody is paralyzed)

1) Frost - 6

2) CL - 6

3) Panther - 7

4) Dawh - 4

5) DMS - 8

~~~

Round Eleven

~~~

Frost

[No PM]

Cherry Lane

* Freeze - Frost

* Shield - Frost

* Curse - dawh

* Coup de Grace - dawh

* Flummox

* Vacuum

* Quid Pro Quo II

** Spellguard

Panther

Freeze - Frost

Shield - dms172

Curse - Frost

Coup de grace - Frost

Flummox - CL

Aqua Vida and Aqua excessum

Dawh

Freeze: CL

Shield: Frost

Curse: Panther

Coup de Grace: Frost

Flummox: DMS

Vacuum: Dawh

Spell of Choice: Vacuum Warp (70% spells cast on me)

Spell of Choice: Magnetic Flux

DMS

* Freeze - Dawh

* Shield - Frost

* Curse - Dawh

* Coup de Grace - Dawh

* Flummox -Dawh

* Vacuum -

* RODB

* Hexquake (75%) (25%)

* No Vacuums succeeded

* Magnetic Surge (or Flux ;D) upped chances to 29%, only Cherry Lane's Flummox succeeded, she Flummoxed - nobody lol. I didn't notice til after I rolled that she succeeded. So no Flummoxes succeeded either :D

* Frost was Frozen twice, which means he has a 1/3 chance of paralysis next round. 1-2 on a 6-sided die means paralysis while 3-6 means none. I rolled and got a 2: Frost is paralyzed next round!

* After Shields and Curses: (remember that it's Double Round!!! Curses count as x2!)

1) Frost - 7

2) CL - 6

3) Panther - 5

4) Dawh - 0

5) DMS - 9

* Nobody cursed CL, so her QPQ II has no effect. DMS's Hexquake takes effect next, with 3/4 to -1 and 1/4 to +1, due to RoDB. The random extra added effect to Hexquake is a 20% chance per person harmed for a Magelore spell to randomly be cast.

** From the Hexquake, Frost -1, CL -1, Panther +1, Dawh -1 (still at 0), DMS -1

** 4/5 people harmed, 80% chance of Magelore. I rolled around the 71th percentile, so a new SoC will be added!

The roster after Hexquake:

1) Frost - 6

2) CL - 5

3) Panther - 6

4) Dawh - 0

5) DMS - 8

Now for the Aqua Vida / Aqua Excessum combo unleashed by Panther... recall (from round 5) that the Aqua Excessum doesn't affect people that already have 0 Shield Points, so Cherry Lane is the one hit by it:

1) Frost - 6

2) CL - 3

3) Panther - 6

4) Dawh - 0

5) DMS - 8

Now in the Double Round, Coup de Graces work with 1 SP too, though nobody has 1 SP here - Dawh could've if Hexquake added 1, but it doesn't matter because Dawh was Coup de Graced by Cherry Lane and DMS. Sorry Dawh :( It was fun playing with you!

1) Frost - 6

2) CL - 3

3) Panther - 6

4) Dawh - DEAD

5) DMS - 8

Now we have the final four! Round 12 tomorrow will be exciting, no doubt. Remember that Frost is paralyzed, so only CL, Panther and DMS will be PMing me. This will probably be one of the most important rounds to determine the end game, so choose carefully! :D

1) Frost - 6 **

2) CL - 3

3) Panther - 6

4) DMS - 8

Good luck! And the SoC list:

** Ascension - [takes effect before anything else] during the round that you used it in, your rank is as if it subtracted 4. For example, the 4th person becomes 4-4 = rank 0. The 3rd person becomes 2-4 = -2. This gives the upper hand in Vacuums and Flummoxes

** Assassin Bolt - your Coup de Grace spell is amplified to affect not just the person you selected but the person above and below them, ignoring Vacuums on either of the three targets or on you. This takes affect no matter what, even if you are one of the adjacent victims (remember that Coup de Grace only succeeds if someone's SP is 0, and Assassin Bolt just triples the Coup de Graces you get and makes them unstoppable)

** Vacuum Warp - [takes effect after Ascension, before Vacuums] this spell will affect the Vacuum-type chance. Normally it's 1/2 and 1/2 whether the Vacuum will absorb all spells cast ON the person or all spells cast BY the person. When you cast Vacuum Warp, you change the chances to 70% & 30%, weighted in either direction, which you choose (for example, "Vacuum Warp - 70% spells cast on me, 30% spells cast by me")

** Aqua Excessum - this spell poisons the reviving water of the Aqua Vida spell, causing it to take away 2 Shield Points from the lowest instead of giving 2 SPs. Aqua Excessum obviously has no effect if Aqua Vida is not cast in the same round

** Rain of Dual Bombardment - harness of the power of weather to bring a ripple of devastating energy into the Duel Chamber! Not only does the Rain of Dual Bombardment bring about a Double Round the next round IF and only if EXACTLY TWO Dual Bombardment spells are cast, regardless of that, the Rain morphs the power of the other natural disaster spell: Hexquakes. The Rain allows you to transfer up to 5% of one the chances to the other, and multiple people using Rain all combine their effects on Hexquake. The Rain of Dual Bombardment may cause other random, adverse changes on the Hexquake spell as well

** Spellguard - also known as the Antiflummox, this spell forges a barrier of force that surrounds and protects your spells from confusion and switching. In the round that you cast Spellguard, all Flummoxes used against you fail. Spellguard takes effect AFTER Vacuums

** Negater - takes effect 50% at beginning of round, 50% at end. With this spell, you can remove any SoC from the list (even Negater itself)

Edited by unreality

Frost dropped out, so Dawh will replace him :D

1) Dawh - 6 **

2) CL - 3

3) Panther - 6

4) DMS - 8

You're back in, Dawh :P

Whew! I knew that my survival last round was a long shot, and it didn't work at all. :( At least now I get another chance to prove my spell mastery. ;)

(Also it's nice to be at the top of the list for once B)) )

Sorry for the delay, everyone. I just lost track of time today. (<sigh> sometimes work gets in the way...)

I could fill it out for her... ;):lol:

You'd better watch your back, Panther! :o:D

I can fill it out myself, thank you...

I sent it in ~45 minutes ago..but it might not look too different than what you would have done ;)

Edited by Cherry Lane

~~~

Round Twelve

~~~

Dawh

[Frozen]

Cherry Lane

* Freeze - dawh

* Shield - dawh

* Curse - panther

* Coup de Grace - dawh

* Flummox - panther

* Vacuum - dawh

* Aqua Vida

Panther

Freeze - Dawh

Shield - DMS

Curse - Dawh

Coup - Dawh

Aqua Excessum

dms172

* Freeze - Dawh

* Shield - panther

* Curse - CL

* Coup de Grace - CL

* Flummox -Dawh

* Vacuum -Dawh

* Aqua Vida

* No Vacuums succeeded

* Cherry Lane and DMS both have successful Flummoxes! Cherry Lane Flummoxed Panther's Freeze and Shield, and DMS Flummoxed Dawh for some inexplicable reason lol, cuz Dawh is paralyzed :P

* Dawh got two Freezes and DMS got one. The two Freezes for Dawh mean he has a 1/3 chance of paralysis next turn (1 or 2 on a normal die). I rolled a 5, thus nobody is Frozen next round!

* Applying Shields and Curses (remember Panther was Flummoxed so he's Shielding Dawh)

1) Dawh - 8

2) CL - 1

3) Panther - 6

4) DMS - 8

Now for the various Aquas that were cast - this is interesting. Two Aqua Vidas were cast, and one Aqua Excessum. The first reaction is that Aqua Excessum does its job, and CL is minus two. However, there's another Aqua Vida that was cast. So my next intuition was to do -2 from the Excessum/Vida combo and then +2 from the Vida, thus a ±0 net effect on Cherry Lane. However then I went back to how Aqua Excessum works - it pollutes/corrupts/poisons/etc the water of Aqua Vida, turning +2 into -2.

Thus if Cherry Lane consumes two sips of Aqua Vida with only one sip of Aqua Excessum, it has double the volume to dilute in, and the force of the Aqua Excessum is only -1, not -2 [assuming poison as in measured by the concentration per sip, not the total amount when the volume is added together, which would be -2, but rather the concentration of the poison which gives it its deadliness per the amount of the time that the body can detoxify]

Then I realized that it doesn't matter whether it's deducted -1 or -2 because Cherry Lane has 1 SP so either way she would fall to 0. Lol :P So then I thought hmmm... I'll roll a dice. 1/3 it will be ±0, 1/3 it will be -1 (diluted) or 1/3 it will be -2 (Aqua Excessum works as normal)

I realize that -1 and -2 have the same effect, and DMS's Coup de Grace will kill Cherry Lane, so her life has come down to a die role - 2/3 she will die (1/3 + 1/3) and 1/3 she will live. Only if I roll a 5 or a 6 will she survive :o

I ROLLED A 5!

No joke! I didn't cheat either, in case you would make such an accusation - I was actually expecting her to die, which would be more or less fair. But now she gets another chance :P The Aqua Excessum and Aqua Vida cancel to make -2, then the other Aqua Vida (the one that CL cast) adds 2 to make the net effect 0. HOWEVER, the confusion isn't over, because which applies first? If the -2 applies first, then CL only goes to 0 not -1, and thus the +2 actually brings up to her 2 as opposed to 1. But she's already gotten a lucky break lol, so I'll apply the +2 first (brings her up to 3) then the -2 (back down to 1).

Whoo that was exciting :D

CL lives for another day, though her enemies nearly blasted her out of the mage duel! But it would take a lot of skill and ingenuity and good foresight for CL to come back and win now, though it is possible. Good luck everyone :D

1) Dawh - 8

2) CL - 1

3) Panther - 6

4) DMS - 8

Nobody is paralyzed for Round Thirteen ;D Again, good luck

I'm still deciding on how the game will change when we hit three people [it will shift majorly and a few certain spells will be removed, all in preparation of the final 1-on-1, though that's all I know right now]

Edited by unreality