BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

Mage Duel!

Simple. Non-Time Consuming. Quick. Fun :D

The Goal: Be the last mage standing!

The Gameplay: the game moves in 'rounds'. In a round, each mage casts a bunch of spells at once, in an epic blur of incantations, curses, hexes and jinxes that dominate the duel chamber with blasting lights and violent sounds.

During the round sometime, each mage must PM me who they are casting each spell on for that round (your potent magical mastery means you can cast all the spells in each round).

The Spells:

* Freeze - paralyzes a mage for the next round only, disabling him/her from casting any spells. Doesn't affect the current round. However, if more than one mage freezes someone, the spells cancel out and no freeze occurs. You CAN freeze yourself if you think that someone else will be freezing you (and nobody else), but of course this can backfire if you end up being the only person freezing yourself :D

* Shield - the Shield is a field of pure energy that surrounds and protects you. Each mage starts with 5 Shield Points, and each round they can cast Shield on another player (not themselves) to add 1 Shield Point to that player's defense. 10 Shield Points is the maximum number of Shield Points you can have

* Curse - remove 1 Shield Point from someone. Shield and Curse are cofluxes, which means that if you choose to not cast Shield, you cannot cast Curse either, and vice versa. The Shield/Curse targets MUST be different, you cannot cast them both on the same person. 0 Shield Points is the minimum number of Shield Points you can have

* Coup de Grace - after all spells (other than Coup de Grace spells) have taken effect, if someone has 0 Shield Points and the Coup de Grace spell is cast on them, they die. Otherwise, the Coup de Grace has no effect

* Flummox - causes someone to be incredibly confused, and mix up their spell targets... 1/3 to mix up Freeze and Shield, 1/3 to mix up Curse and Shield, and 1/3 to mix up Flummox and Curse. The Flummox only has a 1/4 chance of success. Of those that do succeed in the round, the Flummox of the earliest person on the list will take effect first, then the next, and so on

* Vacuum - half the time, it sucks up all the spells cast BY the target. The other half of the time, it sucks up all the spells cast ON the target. The Vacuum only has a 1/8 chance of success. Of those that do succeed in the round, the Vacuum of the earliest person on the list will take effect first, then the next, and so on, just like Flummox

* Spell of Choice - for this spell, you choose from your diverse arsenal of magic: [None of these spells have specific targets, they affect the group as a whole]

** Hexquake - everyone either loses 1 Shield Point (70%) or gains 1 (30%), including yourself

** Magelore - unlocks a new Spell of Choice for everyone to use

** Aqua Vida - gives 2 Shield Points to the mage with the least amount of SP, if there are multiple mages of that amount then the target is chosen randomly from those people

** Magnetic Surge - all Flummoxes move up by 4%. Ie, originally they have a 25% chance. For each Magnetic Surge cast in the round, however, the chance increases by 4%. This value is totaled before the Flummoxes are rolled

** Quid Pro Quo I - everyone that cast Shield on you during the round gains 1 Shield Point themselves

** Quid Pro Quo II - everyone that cast Curse on you during the round loses 1 Shield Point themselves

Note: Shield is the only spell you cannot cast on yourself

The Final Duel: When it gets down to 2 people, rules change. Many spells are no longer castable and rules change. We'll see when it gets to that point :D

Duel Master: Unreality

1) Anyone wanna sign up? :P

• Answers 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Panther said that he would defend me last round, so I decided that it was my best bet to survive, though I half expected him to backstab me (which he did. :angry: )

He could have sealed his victory by casting Y_Z on himself as I cast Y_Y on him and I was going to die without his help regardless. :wacko:

Unreality: I've waited more than a sec to make this post... <_< :P All right, I've waited long enough... :rolleyes:

Remember this exchange:

thanks for trying to help me, dawh! I won't forget it (nor will I forget my FORMER allies...)

That may be useful in the, er, little surprise that will happen in the final seconds of the Mage Duel [remember all of this is happening in a few intense-action-packed minutes of nonstop spellcasting in the Duel Chamber] :D

*Unreality returns with the bodies he "cleaned up" and they're alive! All of them were resurrected! Each of the 9 former mages are the jury for the winner of the game:

1) Frost/Dawh

2) Frozen in Fire

3) CL

4) PG

5) GC

6) Dragonjest22

7) foolonthehill

8) Mekal

9) Dawh

The final winner, between Panther and DMS, shall be decided by those they fought against and outlasted - former alliances, betrayals and backstabbings all come into play. Each person will vote for who they want to win, and whoever has more votes win (Dawh gets one vote by himself and one vote to discuss with Frost and decide)

Good luck to the both of you ;D I'm PMing them all now

Personally i think thats messed up. I'm the one who started the whole alliance after round 2 with me panther frost and cl which got us all in the final four. Those i really wanted going to work with frost and kill panther, but oh well it was fun.

congrats panther.

edit: i just thought of something could you just role using a persons shield over total shields left to find his chance of winning.

lol after saying this i'm probably out of it but i will say this all the back stabs were panthers idea.

~~~

Vote Results

~~~

1) Frost/Dawh - Panther/DMS

2) Frozen in Fire - Panther

3) CL - Panther

4) PG - DMS

5) GC - Panther

6) Dragonjest22 - Panther

7) foolonthehill - DMS

8) Mekal - DMS

9) Dawh - DMS

we're tied :o Though the Frost/Dawh combo was leaning toward DMS, so DMS wins by a smudgeon as Panther's previous actions come back from the grave ;D however, Panther won the SP-game by 1 and DMS won the vote-game by 1, it really should be a tie :P

I say... TIE! :D :D :D Good job DMS and Panther!!! I know I made a few slip -ups as a host, but hopefully they were all correct, I hope everyone had fun ;D

I don't mind it being a tie, so well done to DMS as well! And thanks for all the votes.

BTW, DMS said I was the one that did all the backstabbing! I might have planned it, but he agreed to it so we are equally responsible! ;)

Congratz Panther, i didn't expect a tie, but i guess i just can't beat you.

(dms mutters, "i should backstabbed him".)JK :P